Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Fernandes & Bentley

Now hearing reports (rumours *cough*) of Fernandes going for more of a bargain deal at 6mill, we have to pick him up for this figure if this is true.

I swear I'll be the first to purchase a new Everton top with FERNANDES on the back. He'll be one of our steps up in class! I've always supported him, even through the bad and knowing he works/fits the mould he's a must have!

Other news just now, is that Bentley is finally wanting to be on the move. (is that good English? lol) I've always liked him as a player and feel he'd be a great addition to our squad. When thinking of Blackburn he's the player that comes to mind, and if he wants Euro football, well we have it, and next year with him on board and Fernandes, we'll be offering them even better in 09/10!
Mike Coates, Melbourne, Australia     Posted 16/06/2008 at 03:56:35

Comments

Gavin
1   Posted 16/06/2008 at 06:49:33

Both would be great signings. I would prefer Bentley to be honest but can’t see it happening as he has already stated his desire to play champions league football.
Jimmy Rimmer
2   Posted 16/06/2008 at 07:02:03

The quote I read from Bentley was that he wanted to be playing Champions League OR European football next season.

Maybe this was a hint that he fancies joining Hughes at Man City, but at least it means we now meet his criteria. He’s a great talent, can score goals from midfield and stick in a decent cross. A good feeder for The Yak me thinks... And we all know what happens when you feed The Yak!

Regarding Fernandes... 12million was too much, but a half price summer sale looks like a decent gamble. I’d be happy to see either player in the royal blue next season! COYB!
Dean Johnson
3   Posted 16/06/2008 at 07:20:24

We?ll never sign Bentley, do you think he would be an improvement on Arteta and Pienaar? I do not.
Erik Dols
4   Posted 16/06/2008 at 08:24:09

In all honesty I think Bentley will be overpriced. I wouldn’t pay over 8mil or so for him.

I expect him to go to one of the sky 4 anyway, or indeed Man City.
Gavin Ramejkis
5   Posted 16/06/2008 at 08:33:14

I heard Bentley fancies going to the RS.
Paul OHanlon
6   Posted 16/06/2008 at 08:34:55

09/10 Mike? Let’s concentrate on 08/09 first eh? ;)
Stuart Mitchell
7   Posted 16/06/2008 at 09:03:18

Bentley is overrated and has a bad attitude, give me arshavin over bentley any day.

Hope we get Fernandes and another midfielder to replace Carsley
Joe McMahon
8   Posted 16/06/2008 at 09:06:36

Bently will join Barry at Liverpool, as yet again this summer they will spend at least £50 million.
Tony Williams
9   Posted 16/06/2008 at 09:11:44

I would happly part with £6m for Fernandes.

Bentley will probably go to the shite, they probably deserve him, however watch him pass in a note from his mum near the end of the season to excuse himself incase he burns his ickle wickle body out.
Sean Allinson
10   Posted 16/06/2008 at 09:16:07

Joe,

Reports out of the Tin Mine suggest that they are up financial Shit Creek without a paddle and the Fat Spanish Waiter is having to sell before he buys. New ground, credit crunch, Yanks can?t get credit and all that. I would be very doubtful that they are going to spend £50million net again this year.
Jason Lam
11   Posted 16/06/2008 at 09:35:04

The fact the RS are pricing Crouch at £10mil, Alonso at another £10M, and that Villa keeper at £10M(!) shows how desperately skint they are. Happy days ahead! Barry will prob go to the RS but I hope Villa can rip their balls with a king?s ransom.

£6m for Manny is a good deal me thinks.
Simon Jones
12   Posted 16/06/2008 at 10:36:38

Yep, Manny for 6 million sounds like a good deal, I hope he comes. I reckon a good run in the side he’d come good, a bit like Pienaar did. The only Bentley we’ll get though, will be in the players’ car park.
Martyn Harvey
13   Posted 16/06/2008 at 10:46:53

Get Manny bought!!!!! Bentley is a good player but is he better than what we have and what type of money would we have to pay him and Blackburn to get him. if Ferguson was still playing I?d be after Bentley but not now we play different football to those days....
Carl Davies
14   Posted 16/06/2008 at 10:42:17

Manny for £6million is a must, looked a bit of a luxury at times last season but the potential is definately there, a gamble definately worth tacking me thinks. If we have £12-14million left and none of the sky four want him I?d chuck it all at Bentley, he?s young, English, can play anywhere across the midfield and he?s class.
James Matthews
15   Posted 16/06/2008 at 11:05:56

I?d actually rather see us go for somebody like Gamst at Blackburn. He?s looked absurdly talented for his first 2 years at Rovers, although he hasn?t hit those heights in the last 2 (bringing the price tag down!). He?s got a fantastic left foot and likes to have a pop from distance (something I think we lack as a side) and can take some of the creative burden off Mikky.

Also, did anyone else like the look of that Sionko lad for the Czechs last night? Good engine, great crossing, plays in Denmark so would cost a bomb.

Reckon we could pick those 2 up and have change from £10m.
Hal Leonard
16   Posted 16/06/2008 at 11:33:07

I heard last night that he scored nine goals last season, anybody know if this is correct?
Richard Harris
17   Posted 16/06/2008 at 11:33:29

Bentley is a legend in his own mind and would not be a star player at three of the four Champions League teams. So as he’s not good enough for Manchester United or Chelsea or Arsenal (and Arsenal wouldn’t have him back as his attitude was bad when he played for them) then that only leaves our neighbours who would fit Bentley’s stated aims. I can’t see us, Villa or Tottenham paying silly money for him so it’s most likely that Manchester City would be his destination if he doesn’t get signed by a fourth place team.
Connor Rohrer
18   Posted 16/06/2008 at 11:57:45

Good news on Fernandes. No one can doubt his potential but it?s just about getting him in the right state of mind. Get him fit, get him some stability in his career and I?m sure he revel. He has alot of tools for Moyes to work with. Strength, fairly quick, two footed ability, skilful and excellent passing ability. His only real weaknesses are workrate and fitness. Under Moyes both can be bettered and improved. £6 million would be a steal as well.

Did anyone know Gelson Fernandes of Man City is Manny?s cousin? I found out yesterday, very surprising.

I?m not to keen on Bentley. He?s a talented player but we?ve got a better right midfielder in Mikel Arteta. That?s my opinion anyway. I don?t see the point in spending £12-15 million on a player who plays in a position that doesn?t need strengthening. If Arteta leaves then maybe but I can?t see that happening.

Rupert Sullivan
19   Posted 16/06/2008 at 12:28:00

I too think that £6m for Manny would be great - but the Daily Post are playing down the idea...

Shame though, I would like to see him back, and he is worth a lot more than £6m in my book
Paul Goodman
20   Posted 16/06/2008 at 12:56:32

I may be the only person who thought Fernandes was dire last season and played well in the last match to get himself a contract. I certainly wouldn?t touch him after he bottled it at Man City. He?s another mercenary !!
Ben Brown
21   Posted 16/06/2008 at 13:01:39

Great bit of info that Connor, they do both have a bit of Baron Samedi about them.
Matt Bone
22   Posted 16/06/2008 at 13:15:38

@ Paul Goodman - Yes, you are the only person...........
Adam Hunter
23   Posted 16/06/2008 at 13:30:44

Er no he isn?t .....Fernandes was rubbish after coming back last season. I think he is probably the most overrated player I can remember in a blue shirt and cannot understand some fan?s ?obsession? with him... there is a world beyond Manny.... full of many other midfielders who can actually pass... to a team-mate. I think some of you just got excited at that fact after having Carsley and Neville there.
El-ray Jackson
24   Posted 16/06/2008 at 13:41:00

Thank god Everton have made their first signing- SUPER LAMBANANA, He might be a plastic sheep but hey, at least Moyes is getting em in. I can just see it, a midfield of Manny, Pienaar, Arteta and Super Lambana as the playmaker. Heres to 08/09 COYB.
Connor Rohrer
25   Posted 16/06/2008 at 13:43:06

Fernandes was hit and miss last season. Came here with an injury, lacked fitness and got another injury mid way through his spell here. Never really got enough games to get into the swing of things. Towards the end of the season though he was one of our better players, was man of the match against Newcastle and really looked the part despite playing on the wings.

We’ve seen how injury and lack of fitness can hurt players. Arteta a quality player carried an ijury last season and looked half the player whereas Yakubu came here unfit and it took him 8-10 games to get into the swing of things. I think the same can be said of Fernandes. He had alot of things stopping him from playing to his full potential.

No question he splits opinion. It seems people are rate him or hate him. I struggle to see how anyone doubts his potential though. I can understand people not being convinced with his attitude, work rate etc but he’s ability can not be doubted.
Kevin Tully
26   Posted 16/06/2008 at 13:43:10

I sincerely hope Bentley doesn’t come near the club. After watching the exclusive interview on Sky yesterday, this man is a total wanker. There he was, supping on a glass of champagne at a party, stating how much he loves Blackburn and it’s supporters, but it’s time to go to a club which can match his ambitions. He also said he wants C.L. football, which translates to a double your money pay rise. Not a great way to create a move for yourself is it ?
Gareth Hughes
27   Posted 16/06/2008 at 13:59:53

Is everyone missing the most alarming bit of information to emerge amidst all this FM talk? Moyes apparently will have to wait until June 30th before knowing his transfer budget (this is when the Kirkby stadium will move to the next stage apprently). So our manager is basically being left in a state of limbo whilst others get on with the rather important business of making signings for next season. No wonder Moyes won?t sign on the dotted line when he is being undermined YET AGAIN by the donkeys running the club. By the time Moyes knows what he can spend, which may be a pittance if more money has to be earmarked for Project Kirkby, then the likes of Manny and Bentley will be long gone.
James Marshall
28   Posted 16/06/2008 at 14:12:48

Not that much is happening though in the wake of the Euro finals with regard to transfers is it? Has anyone made any significant signings? Not that I’ve noticed - it looks like we’ll sign Manny whether it be another loan or a perm deal, and there are rumblings about Riki from Deportivo amongst others. DM is busy with ITV, at least in the evenings but who knows whats going on the rest of the time. I dont see any reason why we won’t sign a few players, and theres plenty of time yet.
Derek Thomas
29   Posted 16/06/2008 at 06:57:21

I would like one of the rumours to come true. Manny, @ 6mill, 20th June. DEAL !!
Joey Brown
30   Posted 16/06/2008 at 08:45:41

Maybe it's me but I was thinking today about how I'm not as worried about the signings this summer. I remember last summer it was torture, I was completely unsure of our team and what the board would give Moyes to spend. And with it ending with the Fernandes disaster all the worrying seemed for a reason.

But this time around I just have more faith in Moyes and the Board. Moyes seems to always have a plan and really MOST of the time he gets his man. And on top of that MOST of the time the signings are wonderful. Add on that we have a pretty solid squad minus a few players and that the quality of those few spots that we've been linked with has been fantastic and I feel even better.

I'm not going to lie and say I'm not anxious for the first signing, but I can say with a confident voice that I am not worried about Everton. And that is something that feels pretty good to say. On a side note, loving the Euro, became a Turkey fan, let's sign Arda!

Matt Bone
31   Posted 15/06/2008 at 18:06:26

Manny for £6M by 20 June & Zenit give Arshavin 20th June deadline These two players would be excellent signings and would improve our midfield greatly.

Why would Valencia let Manny go so cheaply? If this is true then I say snap him up. Arshavin for £10-12M is a slight gamble but certainly worth it. These 2 plus a holding midfielder, would be a great start. a RB, CB and possibly another striker and 4th is a minimum requirement.

Andy Taylor
32   Posted 16/06/2008 at 14:53:02

I agree with Connor re Manuel Fernandes. His talent and technique is obvious to the majority of fans. His form during the second loan spell was unconvincing, but no player on the planet is able to produce the goods when injured/not match fit - and he was most certainly not fit on arrival. Once his fitness starting improvinig so did his touch, confidence and awareness. His potential surely makes him a worthy addition to a sparce central midfield with limitted technical ability.
Mike Coates
33   Posted 16/06/2008 at 17:16:17

Whoa, ok, officially my first ever actual mail post I was expecting 1 to no replies.. Shows interest in transfer speculation is rife. Spesh now news has been updated that the Fernandes thing is rumour and just that.. Quite dissapointing :(

Paul OHanlon

What I was referring to with the 09/10 was being in Champs league by then to satisfy players reasons for joining us ;) We can only dream at this stage..

Alas, I’ll remove my remarks on Bentley, I apologise for bringing him up :)
Dave Gerrard
34   Posted 16/06/2008 at 17:59:52

Holy Super Lambanana!! We got all the way down to Gareth Hughes’ post without mentioning the "K" word!

With all this talk about footballing matters I was beginning to think I had accidentally logged onto the wrong site.

Bentley is class in my opinion but would be rather expensive, whereas Manny would be a snip at £6m. I do agree with those on here who say he was mostly pants last season, but we have all seen before (and even in glimpses over the past few months) what he is capable of. Would be a good start to our summer of signings (if DM doesn’t sign first which would be even better).