Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

You're 43, you're beautiful & you're mine!

In a few of the recent mail bag battles over the Kirkby move, I've seen a stat mentioned about the average age of our supporters. It's 43 apparently! Anyone know where this number came from? Is it the average age of season ticket holders attending Goodison? How does it compare to other clubs?

I guess the gut feeling is that its on the oldish side and the implication is that we are not attracting young supporters and why. Obviously lack of success in the last 10 yrs - really its over 20 yrs since we were really successful. I would have thought that might affect our global fan base more rather than locally on Merseyside where loyalty would be handed down from father to son (or daughter)?
Ciaran Duff, Sydney, Australia     Posted 16/06/2008 at 09:58:49

Comments

Ray Robinson
1   Posted 16/06/2008 at 15:22:55

And yet, the average age of our away support is about 30 in my opinion, with lots of kids in their teens. I feel positively geriatric at away matches!
Adam Cunliffe
2   Posted 16/06/2008 at 15:33:12

I?m sure we have got a very loyal fan base in the city but a season ticket for say a family of three is best part of 1500 quid. A lot of money in anyones book
Phil Bellis
3   Posted 16/06/2008 at 15:54:30

They totalled up the ages of season-ticket holders and divide by the number of bodies.
Walk-up supporters/pay-on-the-day between 1 to 65 years regular attendance were excluded from the exercise.
Now...why does that sound familiar?
Patty Beesley
4   Posted 16/06/2008 at 16:13:40

Phil Bellis
Made me grin when I read your last line but you are so right!!!
Mark Stone
5   Posted 16/06/2008 at 16:28:21

Less and less Everton shirts walking round Liverpool and more and more red shite though. And it?s only going to get worse.
Steve Templeton
6   Posted 16/06/2008 at 16:32:07

Here we go, let’s have another squabble over the move to Kirkby!
Tony Williams
7   Posted 16/06/2008 at 16:19:34

Phil, they were probably "overlooked" as they simply did not have the names, ages and addresses of every person who goes the game and does not have a season ticket. Do you know the name and address of the non season ticket holders who sit in the next row to me? Why would you think Everton would know.

I am all for having a go at the board when they fook up but that is going a step beyond.
EJ Ruane
8   Posted 16/06/2008 at 16:34:50

I know what you mean Steve, but the fact is, it IS the only issue for many (most?) at the moment.

Personally, I’ll need to wait until it’s resolved, one way or another, before being able to get into ’one up front at home -discuss’ or ’which is Phil Neville’s shittiest position?’

48 by the way.
Alan Clarke
9   Posted 16/06/2008 at 18:17:53

The average age of all supporters is up for every team. I suppose it’s because all the youth are out geting drunk in the streets wearing their hooded tops instead of atending the game.
Karl Masters
10   Posted 16/06/2008 at 18:33:52

It’s not the average for Everton, it’s the average for the whole of the Premier League.

Incidentally, it’s not difficult to work out why.... money. Football admission prices are way out of schoolkids’ reach. Whereas in my early days as an Evertonian there were loads of unaccompanied kids at he game, nowadays you rarely see kids without an adult.

Football is about to get a bit of a shock I think with the likely looking economic downturn. The days of a family of 4 spending £200 ( £110 tickets, £20 lunch, £3 programme, £ 2 fanzine, £20 inside Goodison on food £35 in the souvenir shop and £10 on petrol ) on a day out at the Premiership are a bit numbered I suspect.
Adam Cunliffe
11   Posted 16/06/2008 at 18:50:50

Tempting as that sounds Alan, I?d sooner watch Everton. Though I do ocassionally wear my hoodie over my Everton shirt at the game if it?s cold.

You're right about the majority of us teenagers, a lot do get drunk and smash up bus stops on a Friday night but there are some decent ones knocking about so don?t tar us all with the same brush.
Steve Templeton
12   Posted 16/06/2008 at 19:28:12

EJ, I understand where you are coming from and the passions that surround the move from Goodison to Kirkby but we have specific threads dedicated to the ground move so wouldn’t it be nice if just now and again we could have a discussion without the thread degenerating into all out war?

It’s got that bad now that when I read a thread that is not Kirkby related I’m thinking to myself ’ok which poster is going to make the first kirkby comment’.

It is almost as bad as Jay Harris (I think) using every thread to attack Bill Kenwright and Keith Wyness!

EJ Ruane
13   Posted 17/06/2008 at 11:00:08

Yep, that’s fair enough Steve.
Tom Hughes
14   Posted 17/06/2008 at 15:06:35

I did read somewhere that EFC had the longest attending fans with the average length of patronage at 27 yrs. Good and bad news in there I suppose.... Incidentally I’m 43....