Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Arda Turan

Anyone else been impressed by this 21-yr old winger? Seeing him linked to us earlier in spring I've paid some attention to the guy and he looks damn impressive. Great skill, a knack for scoring and a big presence in the Turkey team. Sadly his value won't have gone down during this tournament, but he'd be a bargain at £15mill if you ask me.

He can cut inside, go wide, dribble and put in decent crosses. And most importantly, he can score. Didn't see him lose the ball once against the Czechs. If there's just a small chance of accquiring this guy, buy!
Paul Olsen, Norway     Posted 16/06/2008 at 13:50:52

Comments

Ben Howard
1   Posted 16/06/2008 at 15:01:50

I agree. Of all the players that have been linked with us recently, Turan’s the one that has impressed me.

I’m looking forward to Russia vs. Sweden to see Arshavin come up against Kallstrom. In my mind Andrei is a league above Kim but we’ll see.
Seamus Murphy
2   Posted 16/06/2008 at 15:06:42

Yep agreed. He’s been the real stand out player for Turkey, looks excellent on that left wing.
Henrik Nygren
3   Posted 16/06/2008 at 15:12:14

Ben/

It´s a pity Källström is benched in favour of Anders Svensson the former Southampton reject.

The fact is that Bainsy will never play unless we buy some height in midfield. So stop moaning about Arshavin and Manny, buy Koller cause I want Bainsy!
Dan McKie
4   Posted 16/06/2008 at 15:54:36

It was £7 million for this guy the other week and now its "if we can get him for £15 million then its a bargain" after a couple of half decent games? Jeez!
Connor Rohrer
5   Posted 16/06/2008 at 16:05:18

Not for me. He seemed very similar to what we already have. Small, tricky, cuts inside and looks to create. We need a different style of winger. Someone who’s pacy and direct.

I’m still hoping we get Arshavin. He’d be a good option cutting in from the left hand side, he has pace and can nick a goal. If not him then someone like Giles Barnes.
Luke Dunn
6   Posted 16/06/2008 at 16:17:15

Why do people harp on about Giles Barnes, is that the same guy who was a regular in a team which was the worst ever in Prem history?
Mark Stone
7   Posted 16/06/2008 at 16:30:08

Isn?t Turan going to Newcastle?
Jennifer Bin
8   Posted 16/06/2008 at 16:35:50

A league above Kim?
I’m afraid you’re not watching enough French football.

I really don’t see why Lasse prefers Svensson to Kim. That man cannot play, and can’t even deliver a freekick. Though I have the utmost respect for Elmander, I hate to see him play in midfield when Kim is more qualified for the job.
Peter Roberts
9   Posted 16/06/2008 at 16:50:46

Henrik

I was under the impression Källström has been injured which is why KK hasn?t been playing instead of Anders Svensson. For me Källström is exactly the player we need - box-to-box, 6ft midfielder (short-arse by Swedish standards) and can dictate the play as well as break it up. Moyes should be burning the air between here and Lyon asking about his price.
Connor Rohrer
10   Posted 16/06/2008 at 16:56:28

Luke Dunn, because I?ve seen him and I know he?s got potential. People have written Barnes off without actually giving him a chance. He had some bad injuries last season and was playing in the worst team in the League. He struggled for fitness and was never really able to show his true potential. That can happen to any player as Arteta and to a lesser degree Fernandes showed this season.

I?m not saying Barnes would come here and demand a place in the team because he wouldn?t but as someone who can come in, be a squad player, learn off the likes of Arteta and Pienaar and make an impact from the bench he'd be very useful. He has the right attributes. Pace, strength, skill and a good footballing brain. He's also versatile and can play right, left, centre and behind the strikers. He's also 6ft tall and not lightweight like our other wide men.

If the price is right I'd have a look at him. Good young player and British as well.
Mark Pendleton
11   Posted 16/06/2008 at 17:46:15

More importantly how does Alexandersson still get into the Swedish national side?
Matt Bone
12   Posted 16/06/2008 at 19:14:20

@Luke, Giles Barnes gave Everton the run around this season. I agree he may not be in the starting 11 every game but he is still a good young, English player.
Danny Broderick
13   Posted 16/06/2008 at 22:08:36

Giles Barnes = big time Charlie, his head was turned as soon as there was reported interest from other clubs. He should just focus on having an outstanding season for Derby, and IF he does that, then we can talk to him being transferred to teams at the top end of the Prem.
Mike Whittaker
14   Posted 16/06/2008 at 22:06:31

I reckon one of the mid to bottom premier teams will pick Barnes up this summer, then within 2 seasons, us, Spurs and Newcastle will miss out as he chooses Liverpool in a 10 million deal.
In the right team with a good manager who ensures he does the right things on and off the field he will be the next young england player to be head hunted a la David Bentley.
Stefan Tosev
15   Posted 16/06/2008 at 22:18:48

What happened with DM contract did he sign or ?

I havent been able to log on for the past few weeks and I am bit short on info about Everton
Nick Xenos
16   Posted 17/06/2008 at 10:30:07

Turan has been impressive so far and I think would be a great addition. Others that have looked good and could be within our price range are Inler the Swiss midfielder, and Smolarek the Polish midfielder/striker. Inler was very impressive against Portugal, firing in cracking shots from outside the area. He can play anywhere across the midfield, is 6ft+, and was voted Serie A’s best new foreign player for the first half of the 07/08 season. Currently plays with Udinese. Smolarek was Poland’s top scorer with 9 goals in Euro qualifying, including two clinical strikes against Portugal in a 2-0 win. Looks very quick and sharp. He is a Moyes type of player in that he can play well in a number of roles, namely as a winger, just behind the forwards and as an out and out striker. Currently playing with Racing in the Primera, could be a good replacement for Johnson.
Andy Callan
17   Posted 17/06/2008 at 15:49:44

Sign Bracewell and Ince.

They’d do a job in the centre of the park....

Henrik Nygren
18   Posted 17/06/2008 at 15:55:26

Peter Roberts/

I´m afraid not. Källström is fit and fine but LL(swedish coach) prefer his favourit players. Thats why Alexandersson still plays, but in Sweden you can´t argue with a guy whos taken Sweden to 6 straight playoffs. So KK wont play until Anders Svensson retire or we fail to qualify.
I would take KK to Everton but i would´nt love to have him here. To slow in my opinion and for 8mill you can get better players..
Arda Turan, just a better version of Pienaar and Osman. Carry on with the "English types" it seems to work and we can´t compete with the likes of Tott, Psmth, City or Villa until we get other owners. Buy Michael Johnson as DM