Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

The latest speculation

I am fully preparing myself to get shot at here, but I wanted to add my tuppence worth to the argument for potential additions to the squad.

There is talk this morning regarding a possible move for Bentley on the proviso that Mikky moves back to Spain. From a solely personal perspective and based entirely on the showings of last season alone, I think this would be a bloody good like for like. Arteta showed glimpses of brillance in what was an injury-plagued campaign. I do not doubt that having continual niggles and knocks is not conducive to a Ronaldo-esque season, but I for one was growing a little bit concerned on occasion by what I perceived as a lack of effort on behalf of the little man.

Plus, when is he going to realise that for all of his ability his set plays are absolutely shite? I think he beat the first man on a corner possibly twice last season and took maybe three or four memorable free-kicks. Not only is it that the set plays aren't the best, its his attitude towards others (most notably Stevie P) when a freekick is awarded that annoys me. He immediately strides over to the ball and won't allow anybody else to have a look in. This is all well and good if you are ripping a hole in the back of the net from 25 yards, but if you can't even work the keeper, let somebody else have a pop.

Bentley, at club level alone, is a class act. One of the lads in work is a Rovers season ticket holder (he is a bit of an inbred before you comment), and he waxes lyrical about the kid. He explained to me recently that Santa Cruz in his opinion is a fairly average player and his record of last season was largely down to the imaginative play of Bentley. Granted when it comes to the international team, the boy seems a little out of place (to be honest, I think Lescott is very similar when he plays for England) but I am sure it will come. Yes he is very confident (verging on arrogant) and yes he is a spice boy with a twat of a haircut, but he is dynamic, can beat a man, loves running a players, has some pace and his delivery is mostly very good.

In my opinion, outside of probably the Arsenal and Villa games (and on both occasions we very much contributed to our own downfalls), I thought the Rovers game at Goodison early in the season was amongst the toughest we played. Bentley, Pedersen and Cruz caused us no end of trouble and had it not been for a lovely finish from Jimmy Mc we would have been justifiably beaten.

The long and short of it, is that for me personally, were Mikky and his advisors looking to engineer a move back to sunny Spain, Bentley would be an absolutely fantastic signing.

Also, I bloody well hope we avoid Engelaar of Holland. I saw him play the first two games (I watched the Italy game last night, so I apologise if the boy had a stormer against Romania), and whilst he played well in the first his distribution is crap. He looks to me like a broad shouldered Momo Sissoko, and look what a fucking bullet we dodged there. To be a team challenging the top four, you need a holding midfielder who is accomplished on the ball, wins tackles and retain possession. Sissoko was like a headless chicken and Orlando doesn't look much better.
Nick Coyne, Liverpool     Posted 18/06/2008 at 08:58:45

Comments

Hakon Raustol
1   Posted 18/06/2008 at 14:14:36

If Arteta leaves I will cry till my eyes turn dry. And I will swear as long as my voice allows me to. Please let it not happen. Bentley is ok, but Arteta is far better. He was Premier league’s best palyer in the first couple of months last season. People seem to forget about that. His injury ruined it for him.
Andy Ellams
2   Posted 18/06/2008 at 14:17:36

I don’t personally have a problem with Arteta, but I do think Moyes needs to change the dynamic of team, in particular by adding some natural width and pace with it. To do this, I think Arteta would have to forfeit his automatic starting place and whilst the like of Ossie and Peanut would be willing to stay and fight for it back, I don’t think he would. So providing there is a viable alternative in the pipeline (not Bentley btw) then selling Mikky would not be the disaster that some think it might be.
Patty Beesley
3   Posted 18/06/2008 at 14:23:57

Arteta was carrying a very very bad stomach injury last season and had he not been, would probably have been the player we have all come to expect. Tell me, would you go to work if you had appendicitis - no I didn?t think so!

As for Bentley if you want the Club to pay £15mil for him then you are off your rocker. Granted he is a good player but I don?t think he is worth that asking price and, as I have said, in a previous post on another thread, he is a very gobby type.
John Lloyd
4   Posted 18/06/2008 at 14:13:07

I’m not gonna shoot you down, but IMO Bentley isnt as good as Arteta.

I do think he would be a good sigining but fear his eyes are on a move to a CL club, namely the shite.

But concerning Arteta we all now know that he played for the majority of the season injured and you could (have) critisized him for his attitude & set pieces but there is a flip side. In training how do we know that DM has not told him to take all of them? Or I remember a game against last season when we had a free-kick in a decent position and Ossie & Neville couldnt get him over there fast enough (i think it was Chelsea, not 100%)!!

Basically, up till last season he has been our outstanding player for the 2/3 years previous & when he got injured the club/manager has asked him to play anyway and he has.......get off his case. A fully fit Mikel Arteta after a good summer break will come back raring to go, maybe even with a point to prove & hopefully some new colleagues in midfield with him.

Top class player in my eyes, I’d be absolutely sick if he left.
Paul OHanlon
5   Posted 18/06/2008 at 14:37:19

I don’t see why Bentley has to replace Arteta, we have room for both.

Bentley played centre mid on a few occasions for Blackburn last season and looked just as accomplished as out wide. Not only that but Arteta can play centrally and in a number of games last season (particularly in Europe) I would’ve liked to have seen him play there to get more involved and dictate the play. The problem is we didn’t then have anyone good enought to play right mid, with Bentley we would.

Add to that the fact that Pienaar can also play right mid, Arteta can play left mid and you have 3 players in midfield who are all comfortable inter-changing. I’m not saying it’ll mean total football at Goodison next season, but I can see it working.
Alan Smith
6   Posted 18/06/2008 at 14:40:58

Bentley is not a top four player at all. If we want to break into the top 4 we have to start buying players who would (or have the potential to)play for one of the top 4.

i know this isnt easy as generally players who would get into those teams will go to one of them but Bentley is definately NOT one of them.

He?s massively overated with his attributes are mostly promoted by himself and no one else.

Yes Arteta did have a poor 2nd half to the season but you have to consider his injury. He?s far better than Bentley and he is not a suitable replacement.

In my opinion Bentley falls into the same class as Crouch, Pennant, Milner etc. Lets leave him alone an let the RS fork out 10 million plus for his services.He?s just their type of player
Stuart Mitchell
7   Posted 18/06/2008 at 14:47:07

Bring in

Arshavin, Fernandes and Cana (Marseille).

Gives us pace and flair out wide with a goalscoring threat.

Creativity and Defensive mettle in the middle.
Stuart Mitchell
8   Posted 18/06/2008 at 14:56:30

Check this story and more importantly the video of Cana: http://missingalbion.blogspot.com/2008/03/everton-to-swoop-for-lorik-cana-le.html

Was back in March we were first linked to this lad.

Looks like a hardcore version of Carsley.

Connor Rohrer
9   Posted 18/06/2008 at 15:14:24

We need pace and trickery and Bentley offers neither. He’s not quick at all. He’s similar to Arteta in terms of pace and mobility. Bentley?s game is about getting a yard on a fullback and whipping in a cross. He?s a very good crosser, has a good touch and is technically able. I don?t think he?s what where looking for to be honest. I?d take him but not at the expense of Mikel who is a better player with a better all round game.

We need pace out wide. We?ve got alot of wingers who like to cut inside and create. We need someone who?s going to stretch teams as well as being creative. Andrei Arshavin fits the bill for me. He?s quick, tricky, gets goals from midfield and is versatile. I think he?d be perfect for the left hand side. He could cut inside and cause havoc and he could also give us an outlet with his pace. He and Arteta interchanging wings would be excellent. We do need a different style of wide player to the likes of Pienaar, Osman and Arteta.
Pat Farr-Dunphy
10   Posted 18/06/2008 at 15:10:03

Ooooh don’t put that on here Stuart, it’s an Ed Bottomley site....
Stuart Mitchell
11   Posted 18/06/2008 at 15:23:35

Who??

And I just love the video of Cana!
Nick Coyne
12   Posted 18/06/2008 at 15:10:06

Patty, how do you know that he had appendicitis?? Did the Club announce this?? I’ve never had the condition but imagine it would twinge a bit undoubtedly. I don’t think however that we should be speculating about this "very, very bad stomach injury" unless we all know what we are talking about. Had the lad been doubled up in pain and laid up in bed, he won’t have been considered for selection. He was struggling with a niggle and I haven’t suggested otherwise, but it frustrates the shit out of me when a Premiership player on £30k + a week can’t beat the first man with a cross. And by no means am I inferring that it is just Arteta that struggles with this. 80% of the top flight players have this inability.

Whilst I also accept from the messages that Bentley isn’t some people’s first choice, I think we’ve got to get a little perspective on who exactly we are targetting this summer. To suggest that we leave Bentley to the Shite is all well and good, but for me if they were to sell Pennant and sign Bentley that is progress and an improvement to their squad. We have to focus our attentions upon the bracket of players that fall into the "very good" category, because we simply cannot challenge the likes of United or Chelsea for the "world class" players. The targets that the Scum, Tottenham and Arsenal are after are the lads I think we should be looking at because it is these teams that I would like us to be considered against come the end of the forthcoming season. Leave the Villa’s to lose their best player and sign Sidwell, and let the little Thai man spend all his days going after hugely over priced Brazilian’s. We should simply concentrate on getting into the top four.

In my opinion players like Bentley we help us do this as they will improve the quality that we have.
Mike Grundy
13   Posted 18/06/2008 at 15:23:28

Why does everyone continue to make excuses for Arteta’s woeful form for most of last season?

Dont get me wrong, when he is it his best im one of his biggest fans, but the truth is, he just didnt look interested at all last season.

How many Free Kicks/Corners didnt get past the first man?

It was only once Fernandes took over on set pieces that we started to look dangerous!

Pat Farr-Dunphy
14   Posted 18/06/2008 at 15:26:54

All jokes aside, Cana does look good!
patty beesley
15   Posted 18/06/2008 at 15:27:39

Nick Coyne - think you have misinterpreted what I said/meant. What I meant was that you were expecting so much from Arteta when he was carrying a bad stomach problem. I also meant "would you [yourself] crawl into work with appendicitis and try and work through it?" This, in effect, is what Arteta did - he carried on playing, carrying the problem, and was bound not to be as good as normal.
terry smith
16   Posted 18/06/2008 at 15:32:25

Why dont we sign Bentley and play Arteta in the middle where he wants to play.
Stuart Mitchell
17   Posted 18/06/2008 at 15:23:35

Who??

And I just love the video of Cana!
Connor Rohrer
18   Posted 18/06/2008 at 15:42:12

No ones making excuses. He was genuinely struggling for 5/6 months of the season. Arteta mentioned it as did Mick Rathbone (physio) and Moyes. You could see in his general movement during games that he was struggling. He was running like a crab and limiting his game to one touch, ball out of feet and looking for the pass. That?s not Arteta?s game. He?s a dribbler and moving with the ball is a major part of his game. The Villa game proved to me that he was injured and we wouldn?t see him again that season.

There was nothing wrong with his attitude. He never moaned or looked disinterested. He put his usual shift in every game. The only time he ever got hot headed was with a fan in the Park End who supposedly shouted ?Hit the first man you Spanish cunt?. I?d react if someone shouted that at me and to be honest all he did was snarl the stupid fan. There?s nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Arteta?s attitude for me was excellent last season. Any player who plays through the pain barrier deserves credit. If we?d have had other options he wouldn?t have played but with no one capable of taking over Arteta played for Moyes and Everton. People have every right to be disappointed with is general play but his attitude was never a problem.

The fact that he wasn?t training regularly also could have affected his form. If you don?t train and keep yourself in the right condition you won?t be 100%. We?ve seen with Fernandes this season that injuries and lack of match practice can get to players. Fernandes also came here with an injury and lacked match fitness and I stuck up for him at the time, I?ll do the same for Mikel.
Dan McKie
19   Posted 18/06/2008 at 16:02:55

Like for like wouldnt be a disaster, but it wouldnt be like for like. Talk of £8 million for Arteta and £15 million for Bentley means we would have spent £7 million and hardly,if even at all inproved the squad in numbers or quality! Also, it dragged the same old rubbish about him having a better crack at the Spain squad from Athletico Madrid, yet they havent 1 player in the Spain squad after a great season which saw them qualify for the champions league yet Valencia who were woeful all season have loads in there! Its all religion and politics over there and Athletico get the shite end of it! Plus, Fabregas only comes on from the bench!
Gavin Ramejkis
20   Posted 18/06/2008 at 16:04:05

I’d pay good money to watch Cana snap that prick Stevie Me and ladyboy in two.
guy wilkinson
21   Posted 18/06/2008 at 16:15:10

Bentley and RSC are very good

Arteta is just good

Santa Cruz was the bargain buy of last year
John Andrews
22   Posted 18/06/2008 at 16:17:51

Just watched the video of Cana. I think it best to say that he may take a little time to "Adjust" to the game in this country.
Especially with the crap referees we have at the moment.
Ben Brown
23   Posted 18/06/2008 at 16:20:02

You would fuckin’ love him if he played for you though wouldn’t you.
EJ Ruane
24   Posted 18/06/2008 at 16:26:47

Looks down

Scrapes floor with shoe.

Mumbles....."s’pose"
Carl Wright
25   Posted 18/06/2008 at 16:25:27

Anyone else think Cana looks like a new version of Lilly Savage? IM sure hes got more to his game but if the vid clips anything to go buy...

And you’re miles off Conner, Arteta had a bad season by his standards. Never mind "playing through the pain barrier" bollocks, towards the end of the season when things going his way his attitude was poor.
Ben Howard
26   Posted 18/06/2008 at 16:27:35

I love that Cana video. On that showing he’d last about 5 minutes every game before being sent off and would probably headbutt the ref on the way off the field!

If you could rein him in a bit though, you can see he’s got obvious talents. Fernandes and a disciplined Cana in the middle would be awesome!

Reminded me of a more skillful version of Materazzi (oh, on second thoughts then...)
Connor Rohrer
27   Posted 18/06/2008 at 16:39:12

Carl Wright, please explain to me how his attitude was poor.

John Dawson
28   Posted 18/06/2008 at 16:35:09

Just touching on the Engelaar thing, he did in fact play very well last night but i agree the first 2 matches he had suspect distribution.

The only lad in the French team that looked like he would do us proud was Toulalan. I heard his name mentioned with us a few months back but nothing since. Mainly a player to keep the game ticking but stuck a few good tackles in and took the set pieces over Henry etc...

I also think that Bentley would be a good addition but if you had someone like Toulalan in the centre with 2 quality wingers, Pienaar & Mikky/Bentley, we would look good and play some quick flowing footy
Steve Collins
29   Posted 18/06/2008 at 16:39:08

Bentley is good but he is no Mikel Arteta.

Bentley is the product of an overhyped British media and public opinion. Seriosly if he was as good as many make him out to be there would be Spanish and Italian teams sniffing around.

Instead its just Villa, Newcastle etc... Same old same old.

Whereas everytime you see a club linked with Arteta its a decent spanish club.

His form has been woeful to say the least injury or not. But on his day he is a sublime player.

Anyone who pays £15 for Bentley is mad
Alan Rodgers
30   Posted 18/06/2008 at 16:57:04

Arteta on his day is a class player but not good enough to play for Spain. Bentley is a match winner and would become a huge favourite at Goodison .....but I just don’t think he’ll come.
Joe McMahon
31   Posted 18/06/2008 at 17:03:29

I don’t think Bently will come to Everton, but IF he did would one of his corners clear the first man?

I’m on my own I know, but i would like to cash in on Arteta. Everyone says, on his day he is class, that’s approx 2 days a year though.
John Andrews
32   Posted 18/06/2008 at 17:58:14

It will be a very sad day when Arteta decides to leave our club !
Phil Mcracken
33   Posted 18/06/2008 at 17:55:26

Lorik Cana, Oh I like him! We should definatly get this fucker, He’s like roy keane and vinnie jones love child. This is exactly what we need, inspiration in the middle of the park, a driving force. He is a bit of an animal though, but I reckon he is made for the prem, I hope to god he pulls the everton royal blue on in aug.
Ste Kenny
34   Posted 18/06/2008 at 18:24:38

If arteta goes i’ll be seriously considering going with him!!!

He’s second only to kanchelskis in terms of the best player ive ever seen in an everton kit (i’m 24). He doesnt get in the spain squad because with aragones in charge it’s a closed shop, as many other good in form players have found
Tim Lowe
35   Posted 18/06/2008 at 18:45:42

Agreed, he is a chav and just as importantly he’s nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

I hope to god, mikky comes back for the new season well rested and show us all what we know he can do. I think Milner has the potential to be a quality player. I work with a few Villa fans who all agree that he had a very good season there. Also from what I’ve seen Kightly of Wolves is definitely worth a look as is Ledley of Cardiff. I reckon all these 3 would be better value for money than Bentley. Plus Davey has a great record of picking up players from the Championship

John D - I also think Toulalan is class but the Lyon chairman has a record of driving a hard bargain for his players and in all honesty I cant see the player moving unless it was to another CL club. Oh well, we can but dream eh
Ron Leith
36   Posted 18/06/2008 at 19:01:52

To be serious contenders for a top 4 spot you need Bentley and Arteta not if one goes we can get the other. Apart from anything else why would Bentley come here when Mark Hughes is proably thinking what should I spend my £200 million on. EFC have no advantage over Man City as both are in the Europe. If Ronaldo is leaving MU is Bentley not on their radar etc.

I suspect Arteta may go cos his big Alonso is going back home. If he goes we better get £20million cos that?s what it will take to replace him. Finally I hope Manny Fernandes is signing he is a class act.
Chris Keightley
37   Posted 18/06/2008 at 19:02:00

From what I can see all our targets are interested in other clubs. I see today Villa have signed Sidwell ? wasn't he a target ?? Arshavin will not be coming to Goodison nor will Cana, or the arrogant money hungry Bentley, to me we seem to be waiting for the euros to finish, but I can't see the world class players queing at our door, if anything end of July will come and go, and we will panic buy three or four 30+-year-old nobodies, and the lads we have will carry them through another season of ifs and buts IMO.
John Lloyd
38   Posted 18/06/2008 at 20:13:59

You could write a list about the good points Everton fans have & show and you would easily fill a pretty big sheet of paper, but this article has shown some of us to be no better than the daft fans we look down on.

I’m just interested to know if the same people having a go at Mikel Arteta are the same crowd that dont want DM here?? Cos its fuckin ridiculous!!!! Mikel at 50/60% (as he was last year) is still a fantastic player and one of our few top class players. He was asked by his manager to play a number of games unfit & in an amount of pain. Coupled with the fact how unhappy his judy was, his homelife can’t of been too clever. She has now returned to Spain.

He is only a human being, and all footballers have good and bad spells but he is a fantastic player and one who will hopefully show how good he is next season when I wouldnt be surprised if he was our player of the year again, for the 3rd time in 5 years.

Sorry for the rant, it burns my head out when some of us start acting like geordies or worse.....
John Hom
39   Posted 18/06/2008 at 20:15:07

All Jokes aside lads, who are we actually in for... NO-ONE. We haven't got the cash, the board are too focused on the big move. Where do you think we are getting the cash from now that Bellefield got blocked. Why do think Moyes hasn't signed his contract? ? he knows all this stuff and more.
Mike Coates
40   Posted 18/06/2008 at 20:52:42

Arshavin SCORES! :)

lol.. Damn, up goes his price.
Mike Coates
41   Posted 18/06/2008 at 21:07:07

I’ve woken up after 5 hours of trying to sleep, its just after 6am here in Aus, I’ve been sneezing and sick all day.. My head is throbbing and both my eyes are bloodshot red and barely able to read the screen.

Do one? what?

Sorry, I just posted in here coz I wanted to find somewhere to cheer on Arshavin’s goal.. lol
Kevin Tully
42   Posted 18/06/2008 at 20:57:57

We shouldn’t get too excited about the likes of big head Bentley. His main strengths are his Beckhamesque type crosses and dead balls into the box.

Our two front men are without doubt, the worst headers of the ball in the Prem. The Yak looks like he wears lead boots and A.J. is only marginally better, any centre half laughs as he wins every high ball. Cana’s the man !
Mike Coates
43   Posted 18/06/2008 at 21:14:56

Wait..

Yakubu is one of the worst headers?

What he score with in the final game then? his shoulder?

I’m sure he’s racked up quite a few last season?

Or maybe I’m sick and disillusioned.. How many is the limit of aspirin I can take?
Phil Mcracken
44   Posted 18/06/2008 at 20:50:11

Sorry, I got all excited about Cana the loveable psychopath, I forgot to answer the original post. Bentley is good and will be the next outstanding england player, he is a bit of a cock though, if we do get him and he wants to go to a "bigger" club then he will need to play fucking well for us, therefore thus we can sell the cunt (if he turns out to be a cunt, the lad could surprise us all) for alot more than we buy him for, anyway we will be cl next year. As regards Arteta, that boy is fantastic for us, we got used to him being great for us, then his standards dropped middle of last season, for whatever reason, and instead of being great he was just good for us, still one of only a couple of players who are capable of going past a man, doing something different, brilliant. Did anyone see the pre seaon game against Werder Bremen, fuck me, he was sensational, he turned some poor bastard inside so many times, his cock and balls were on the inside. Arteta must not go, he s too important to us.
Kevin Tully
45   Posted 18/06/2008 at 21:22:06

Sorry Mike, I meant he is definately the worst centre forward at jumping for the ball. When he doesn’t have to jump, his heading is quite good. Watch when you see one hoofed to him next season, it always makes my little lad giggle. You can go back to sleep now.
Mike Coates
46   Posted 18/06/2008 at 21:34:55

Yes I can..

Russia won 2-0 :)

Arshavin looks gold. Pity price is a bit.

Who are the other Prem League teams after him?

Gunna try sleep.. Argh.. pain..

Gnite
Will Bruce
47   Posted 18/06/2008 at 21:42:12

Bentley? Arshavin?, who cares, we have Andy Van Der Meyde, that wonderfully consistent dream of a player, apparently he has another new haircut, is looking ’lean and mean’, and is going to show all us blues, that his ’best is yet to come’
Garry Nickson
48   Posted 18/06/2008 at 23:41:00

Arteta is vital to us playing decent, joined-up football. His game is a lot more than taking corners and free kicks, for God’s sake. We need to retain players like Arteta and strengthen in other positions, not replace him.
Roy Coyne
49   Posted 18/06/2008 at 23:53:50

So a quality player (who let's be honest has carried the team for most of his time here) has a poor season let's forget his injury and you want him sold? I don't believe this it has to be a wind-up.
David Edwards
50   Posted 19/06/2008 at 00:13:41

Bugger! Like many, I’ve been praying Arshavin is Goodison-bound, but after the UEFA Cup Final upped his price, I was praying he’d have a quiet European Championship (especially as he was suspended for the first two games). Sadly, I think with the media comments I’ve already heard, he’s now well out of our financial reach, even if we could coax him away from his rich Russian chums, fellow councillors in St Petersburg etc. I can dream I’m proved wrong and we have a ’Yak’ moment in the transfer market to surprise everyone, but I fear the midfield play-maker we are screaming for at the club (with or without Mikel) is probably Champions League bound with some more fashionable club (hopefully not in the EPL).
Jason Lam
51   Posted 19/06/2008 at 02:35:13

Bloody hell that Arshavin is class. Ossie and Peanut need to take notice on how to hold up the ball against bigger opposition.

He’s too good for our hoofball anyway.
Paul Kish
52   Posted 19/06/2008 at 04:26:56

Correct me, if I’m wrong but didn’t Arteta’s girlfriend move back to Spain last year to continue her career as a TV host?

I my opinion that, and being closer to family, would be more of a pull than anything football related.

If
While I don’t want to see him leave, like all of us, he has to do what makes him happy. Whatever that is, good luck to him
Lee Spargo
53   Posted 19/06/2008 at 12:51:50

I’d be sad to see Arteta leave. But if he did, Bently would be a decent replacement in my opinion.
Patty Beesley
54   Posted 19/06/2008 at 15:16:19

We all like a bit of blood and guts on the field [even us girls!] but having watched the Cana video I reckon he would spend more time off the field [through Red cards] than on it!! Mind you I would like to see him in action against the Red Shite...