Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Bentley? No Thanks

According to todays Daily Mail, DM will bid for David Bentley as a replacement for Mikel Arteta who is apparently going to Spain for £8 million. First of all, I wouldn't want Bentley anywhere near the club. There is a fantastic spirit at Goodison Park and I really don't think he would add to it.

I think that Mikey will go (hopefully for more than £8 million) and to be honest I wouldn't be too sorry. He's been great for the club but I think we've seen the best of him. Cash in now. I think DM should look further than the European Championships for signings. Over-inflated prices for players who turn it on once in their careers. I still think Michael Bradley would be a good move. Also, what about Jimmy Bullard?
Andy Crooks, Belfast     Posted 18/06/2008 at 17:04:15

Comments

Alisdair Denny
1   Posted 19/06/2008 at 06:00:40

You would rather have Jimmy Bullard than Mikel Arteta? No offence mate, but I’m glad we’ve got Moyes in charge.
Connor Rohrer
2   Posted 19/06/2008 at 07:21:31

Yes at 25/26 Arteta is now past it and needs to move on....... bollocks. Arteta is still our best midfielder in my opinion, is at a good age and can still improve. What I know for certain if he?s better than the likes of Michael Bradley and Jimmy Bullard. Where are peoples ambition? If you want Arteta to leave then I at least expect better player than him to be mentioned not 30-year-old squad players and half decent young midfielders.

I?d even have Bentley over the likes of Bradley and Bullard and I?m not the biggest fan of Bradley.

We?d also get far more than £8 million for Arteta. It pains me when I see people saying snap someone?s hands off for him if they offer £8-10 million. I know for a fact that if Arteta was to leave the bidding would start at around £15 million.

Evertonians are a fickly bunch. One bad season and a player who has been highly rated by the majority is now past it, only worth around £8 million and needs to move on.
Michael Brien
3   Posted 19/06/2008 at 07:25:02

Andy - I agree with you about Bentley, lets not forget Wenger let him leave Arsenal and though his talent can’t be doubted I personally would say that he has certain "attitude" problems.

Regarding Arteta - I think you are very harsh. Yes he wasn’t at his best for some matches last season. But I think it’s plainly obvious that he had injury problems. I believe that Moyes sometimes played him when he would rather have rested him - basically playing him because there was no real cover. Bare in mind both Gravesen and van der Meyde were 90% of the time unavailable so we were more often than not 2 squad members down.

Arteta has played an important part in our acheivements in the last couple of seasons.He shouldn’t be rubbished because of a few below his usual standard performances. Whatever happened to " Form is temporary - Class is permanent" ?

Bullard - yes he is a good player and he played a major role in keeping Fulham in the Premier League. However if we are to move forward I think we should be looking to signing players like Jimmy Bullard to add the players we have rather than replacing them. I think it’s not just about replacing lee Carsley - it’s about replacing Gravesen and van der Meyde. I am a Gravesen fan - but I have to admit he didn’t really justify making the loan a permanent deal.
Erik Dols
4   Posted 19/06/2008 at 08:19:55

I can?t believe how biased some people are towards English players. How could anyone seriously consider to accept £8 mil for Arteta and pay more than that for Bentley? What have you been smoking? I expect Bentley to be the Darren Bent of this transfer window. He?ll go to some club for a loooot of money and have an average season next year. He could become a great player if he changes his mentality.

Next thing you know someone wants to buy David Nugent for £10 mil?. Although to be fair Bentley obviously has more talent than Nugent.
Jay Campbell
5   Posted 19/06/2008 at 09:08:18

Bentley is a great player in his own mind.

Another over-rated, over-priced ordinary footballer.

Bullard?? It get?s worse.
Tony Part
6   Posted 19/06/2008 at 09:31:55

Davis Bentley is a talented player but not as talented as Arteta who for two seasons was our outstanding player and only injuries interferred with a third.
Bentley is a good player but as with people bandging on about signing Joey Barton 12 months ago I have to question them now, Would he be good for team togetherness?.
Yet at the same time if anyone can pull him down a peg or two its Moyes.
Bentley at the moment is a big fish in a relatively small pound, no disrespect to Blackburn..
We saw Craig Bellamy the star of Blackburn but moved on to Liverpool and hardly played.
Nelly Blythe
7   Posted 19/06/2008 at 10:03:22

Glad I’m not the only one not that impressed with Bentley especially at £15 mil.
IMO he’s a ’fair weather’ player ...one who may turn it on when we’re winning 2 or 3 -0 but will go missing when we need to ’dig in and battle ’ to get a result.

Bentley £15 mil....Arshavin £10 mil ...NO CONTEST in my eyes.
Jason Lam
8   Posted 19/06/2008 at 10:15:57

As much as I like Bentley (whose packages includes other benefits such as raising Everton’s profile by having another England player at the club), if I were to choose the one player it’s Arshavin. If we could pay 11mil for the Yak then 11m for AA is reasonable.

Which is what’s gonna happen on my Playstation tonight.
Andy Taylor
9   Posted 19/06/2008 at 10:14:31

Dear God, I find the Arteta comment ridiculous at best. So the fact that Arteta was playing through a groin/stomach injury all season means his best days are behind him? Arteta’s form at the beginning of the season was excellent. Even when injured he was more often than not our most creative player. He is surely the last person we should consider selling given our midfield generally has woeful technique.
Tony Waverleas
10   Posted 19/06/2008 at 11:08:31

Interesting that in another thread on this site the board are being criticised for failing to raise the club’s national profile.
Yet on this thread it’s being suggested we sell one of the most instantly recognized members of our first team who also, more importantly, happens to be a player fans of nearly all the other Premiership clubs would love to have.
Ridiculous.
Ant Mill
11   Posted 19/06/2008 at 11:34:52

In today?s transfer market Arteta must be worth atleast £20 million if you consider what prices other players have been quoted at (£10 mill for Huddlestone, £15 mill for Barry, £18 mill for Jo), Arteta is streets ahead of these players we just need to get him back fit again and he can started turning on the style again. If we let him go we simply wouldn?t beable to replace him. We need to keep our best players and add further quality to the team. If we sold Arteta our midfield would begin to look ordinary again.
Lee Spargo
12   Posted 19/06/2008 at 12:47:57

I’m with Alisdair on this one!
David Chait
13   Posted 19/06/2008 at 13:45:48

Arteta is the man.. full stop.... Bentley is no Arteta.... If Arteta were English he would be the first choice right wing... no doubt... leaving Bentley back at his club....

Looking at the Spanish midfield last night I couldn’t believe he was left out the squad...
Jonathan Fletcher
14   Posted 19/06/2008 at 15:54:03

I think Arteta had a poor season by his standards last year but to be honest he is still our best player (not just midfielder).

On top of his game he is almost unplayable.

Bentley AND Arteta would be nice.
Michael Ward
15   Posted 19/06/2008 at 16:42:06

Really really hope we dont sign Bentley, £15m is a joke.

As for Arteta plz no,if he did go I reckon it would be £12m MINIMUM, the £8m quoted just shows the poeple at the mail havent got a clue what they are talking about
Alan Clarke
16   Posted 19/06/2008 at 19:17:09

It’s the same every summer. Last year there were several threads suggesting we should sell Cahill.

We should not sell our better players. Arteta is proven and we know he fits into our team and he is worshipped by the fans.
Jay Campbell
17   Posted 19/06/2008 at 20:00:09

Bently is a great player in his own mind.

Over-rated, overpriced simply hasn’t got it.

Asharavin is the kiddie.
Matty Grosso
18   Posted 20/06/2008 at 01:08:18

We have got to keep hold of our best players... eg: Arteta, Cahill etc, if we are going 2 move forward and challenge the top 4 we have 2 add to what we already have, players like Bentley and that big Dutch midfielder Engelaar is what we should be looking at, but we shouln?t lose Arteta to bring these players in.