Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Tom Huddlestone

Whether you like him or not, I have heard thet Everton will be making Spurs an offer for Tom Huddlestone after losing out on Dutch international Orlando Engelaar. The fee will be around £7m and Tottenham will be looking to offload after signing another midfielder today.
Terry Smith, Liverpool     Posted 20/06/2008 at 13:28:39

Comments

Robbie Kirkham
1   Posted 20/06/2008 at 14:02:04

I think he’d be a good signing ideal to sit infront of back 4 & i’ve seen him play more times than that Engelaar but its all talk for now & i’ll believe it when he’s holding that shirt up on the back of the Echo.
Paul OHanlon
2   Posted 20/06/2008 at 14:04:17

£7m for a guy who couldn’t get into a team in the lower half of the league last season? If he was that good do you think Ramos would be letting him leave?

I thought we were looking to progress, not take on Spurs rejects.
Shaun Nesbitt
3   Posted 20/06/2008 at 14:07:38

I’d love to know where you got your info from!! If true i hope Moyes has seen something in him that we haven’t. Personally i don’t rate him. He can’t even run. How did he become an athlete?? I guess Tony Marsh will be happy as he is tall, that makes it o.k.
Joe McMahon
4   Posted 20/06/2008 at 14:10:26

Not good enough for Spurs but....etc etc.

I suppose we will have to go for players other’s don’t want. This quote (below)from the BBC website say’s it all, forget about the Sky 4, City & Spurs also have very big pockets, and as usual we don’t.

Germany striker Lukas Podolski has indicated that he could be leaving Bayern Munich this summer, which will interest the likes of Tottenham, Manchester City, Cologne and Juventus.
Erik Dols
5   Posted 20/06/2008 at 14:21:56

I like Huddlestone to be honest and I hope Moyes can get the best out of him if he actually comes, but for £7m we should be able to get a better player than him...
With him only being 21 and him being 6 ft 3 he has got some aspects that make him very interesting for us. But he’s no Carsley, still need a real ball winner if you ask me.
Mark Pendleton
6   Posted 20/06/2008 at 14:49:45

Boro were keen to be shut of tha Yak and he passed the 20 goals mark for us.

Arteta & Pienaar wer surplus to requirements.

Just because players don’t make it at a certain club doesn’t mean they’re bad players. If there’s truth in this rumour then i for one trust Moyes’ judgement on this one.
Tony Marsh
7   Posted 20/06/2008 at 14:49:15

Tom Huddlestone, NO thank you.
From what I have seen of him he is not going to improve us where its needed most the midfield. Huddlestone is not the type of player we should even consider as a squad player. Without pace in the modern game you are worthless and Tom sure lacks pace. Then again so does Osman, Neville and Arteta and they are in the Moyes dream team so we will probably sign the lad. Lets face it Moyes never holds lack of pace or ball control against a player, so Tom ? you're in lad.
Erik Dols
8   Posted 20/06/2008 at 14:57:09

Tony, just to be sure: are you suggesting Huddlestone lacks ball control or are you merely pointing at Osman, Neville and Arteta with that line?
Nelly Blythe
9   Posted 20/06/2008 at 14:59:47

Paul O’Hanlon I’m with you all the way mate !!!

I’ve said it before on these pages and I’ll say it again

Tom HuddleSTONE rather have FRED FLINTSTONE !!

Please please please lets not throw last year’s good work down the crapper !! (a la 2005)
Sean Allinson
10   Posted 20/06/2008 at 14:56:25

Great signing. Hope it comes off. Worth every penny of £7mill and if we can get him for that we should snatch their hands off. Forget replacing Carsley. He was a particular type of player and we played a system which suited him. From next season we will play a slightly different style with two central ’holding’ midfielders sharing defensive duties and being expected to support the attack as well. It is the step up we needed. Super Lee was good at one job but not so great at the other. We now need players that can do both and Huddlestone’s size and distribution will be a significant addition to our ball retention and our attacking options. Him and Fernandes in the middle - yes please.
Connor Rohrer
11   Posted 20/06/2008 at 15:15:18

If we sign Huddlestone then I can’t see us signing Fernandes which is disappointing. Both are deep lying play makers and both play in the same position. Huddlestone is probably the cheaper alternative and although I rate him Fernandes is better and has more attributes going for him. Unless Moyes is thinking of going 4-2-3-1 with Hudd and Manny as the deep lying play makers spraying passes about. Total football? Sadly I can?t see it happening.

Huddlestone is without doubt a good player though. On his game he has the ability to run the game with his strength, passing, intelligence and good touch. When a team is on the back foot he?s useless though. He has poor agility and turns like a wale. He definatly needs to improve his fitness, work rate and defensive qualities. Then again so does Manny but at least Fernandes is fairly quick and mobile. Improving in these areas hopefully could get him a little more mobile and able to compete.

As I?ve said I?d take him but I seriously hope Moyes isn?t pointing him out as our next defensive midfielder. He?s not one and never will be one. His qualities are on the ball so he?s more suited to playing alongside a ball winner. People who label him a yard dog haven?t got a clue, he?s the complete opposite. He?s a ball player who is more suited to the Italian league than the English.

7 million is also too expensive for a Spurs squad player who still inexperienced and not the finished article. 4-6 million would be a better price for a player of his current quality and potential.
Steve Collins
12   Posted 20/06/2008 at 15:37:41

Terry,

How could you possibly know this? Let me guess your uncles best friend is a window cleaner at GP or is it friends workmates girlfriend is Evertons Secretary?

As for the rest of you biting on pure rumours. Madness i tell you.

As for signing players in the EURO’s. If DM notice them and think they are good then most managers will see the same thing. We haven’t a hope in hell of signing the best players to come from that tourney.
jason williams
13   Posted 20/06/2008 at 15:41:23

Mark Pendleton you are spot on mate.
3 of our best players were being sold off by their previous clubs.Manny also fits into that category.

Id like to see him sign.
Dave Lynch
14   Posted 20/06/2008 at 15:44:59

Does anyone else get the feeling we are going to miss out on all our intended transfer targets ?
Again !
This really pisses me off. Can see us signing another batch of prem offloads and the usual loan signing.
Aidy Dews
15   Posted 20/06/2008 at 15:51:18

7 million for a fringe player from Tottenham, nar not for me that 1! hes not wat we need to replace Carsley yeh dont get me wrong hes good on the ball, good passer but hes not 1 ov them that gets stuck in n puts is foot in where it hurts n breaks attacks up, thats y Zokora was in the team alongside him most ov the time to do those things! same wiv Engelaar, i must admit id rather av Engelaar cos hes quality but hes not the same type ov player as Carsley in that he doesnt get stuck in n break attacks up, De Jong is in the Dutch team along side him to do that and then give it to the likes ov Engelaar to start up there own attacks! I dont kno which player we shud go for in that position but we definatley dont want to go for Huddlestone!!!
Brian Waring
16   Posted 20/06/2008 at 16:06:47

Mark, I think you will find that Boro were not keen to get shut of the Yak. They tried to keep him, and it was the Yak himself who instigated the move by rocking the boat up there, and throwing a wobbly.
Andy Callan
17   Posted 20/06/2008 at 16:20:54

Jesus fuckin Christ - SIGN EVERYONE. We need players even if they turn out to be shite. We need a team next year otherwise backwards it is..................... again.

Take a chance - sign more I say. Anything thing is better than nowt.
Connor Rohrer
18   Posted 20/06/2008 at 16:16:33

We don’t really need another Carsley and I think people have to realise that. Carsley was an out and out defensive midfielder and we now need a midfielder who capable of doing a bit of everything. We need someone who’s going to put his foot in and use his physical strengths but also use the ball reasonably well and get around the pitch.

Even someone like Engelaar would fit the bill. He?s not a defensive midfielder but he?s very capable of tackling and winning the ball back. He also has a decent passing range and is a capable footballer. If Engelaar is not your choice then someone in the same sort of mould.

Where trying to take our team and style of play to the next level so getting all round players in is key. At clubs like Man utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea every midfielder is expected to take up alot of responsibility both in an attacking sense and defensive.

Don?t get me wrong I?m not saying we should be get midfield of Osman, Pienaar, Arteta and Fernandes and expect then to compete because it won?t work but the defensive minded midfielder we bring in doesn?t have to be an out and out defensive midfielder. I want someone who can tackle and compete yes but I don?t want him to just sit in front of the back four and not get involved.
terry.smith
19   Posted 20/06/2008 at 16:29:28

Steve Collins
FYI. My brother used to play for Exeter City and knows Steve Perryman quite well
He did say we have made contact with them and the wheels are in motion etc etc.As i say im not a great fan but do think he would be better than Carsley in that role.
Ian Bonnette
20   Posted 20/06/2008 at 16:30:56

I dont know if he will be the signing we all want but we have to trust Moyes. He is being brought in to fill the Carsley role. Now he was not a Moyes signing but look how he turned out, who would have believed that! He was relagated with every other club he played for. Maybe the editors can go back over the old message board and see what the fans had to say over that transfer, it would be funny to know.
Jay Harris
21   Posted 20/06/2008 at 16:27:21

Steve Collins
Im with you.

I dont mind us identifying players we ’d like and discussing them but let’s all be a bit more patient and wait for facts rather than rumours.

DM has a list and a plan I just hope the board are backing him 100% and he is the first major signing.

On another note I feel Manny is a must sign player and we should build the team around him with a new style of play.

As Sean Allinson said Cars was a particular type of player and we didnt have any other ball winners in MF so maybe DM is looking to change things.

Jason Lam
22   Posted 20/06/2008 at 16:34:59

I’m sure I set the Tardis correctly but I come out and see spurs rejects signing for Everton. Awful period in history.
Andy Hudson
23   Posted 20/06/2008 at 16:36:09

Just bare in mind that every season we get heavily linked with players who are looking to move on and hardly ever sign them.... Smith, Richardson, Nugent. Koumas etc. I think Huddlestone is another of those. I really doubt we will sign him, and definately not at the price quoted! Moyes doesn’t pay over the odds for players so the price would have to be nearly half that i’d imagine, but like I said the players we are linked with the most usually end up elsewhere.
Steve Collins
24   Posted 20/06/2008 at 16:46:10

Terry,

Fair enough. But i am still in doubt whether the director of football at exeter would know the current goings on at spurs. Ex legend or not. If that were the case the press would have picked up on it alot more so would most website for that matter.

Also there are not too many people left at spurs who would be close to steve perryman i wouldn’t imagine seen as they have had a complete turnaround of staff on and off the field in recent years.

Finally why is then that no one has mentioned him being linked to us in a while then?
Steve Collins
25   Posted 20/06/2008 at 17:14:02

To "steve"

Please stop with your nonsense. If you had nothing to contribute thats sensible and intelligent go away

You give Steve’s a bad name
Chris Masey
26   Posted 20/06/2008 at 17:24:14

Huddlestone has put in some good performances this season, and can play as a makeshift centre half. I think he would be a good buy, we need some muscle and meat through the middle, not another creative player. I think Moyes would also improve his fitness etc.
Bradley Champion
27   Posted 20/06/2008 at 17:37:48

to be honest, why would huddlestone want to go to everton he is far too good for you, some of you are saying u dont need him if he joins he will be one of your key players, ive seen him play a lot for spurs this season he is much better than carsley also i have heard of this ’speculation and why would spurs sell such a good with great potential youngster to a ’Eufa Cup Rival’ they would propably loan him maybe but he would reject you, im a Man Utd fan and i would love to see him at old trafford in a season or 2

Bye Arteta

REd 4 Eva
Brad
x
Mark Cassin
28   Posted 20/06/2008 at 17:25:40

I think Moyes has a new style in his mind as well--I also think he will try to bring in 2 players for every position which Tim Howard also mentioned today.

For 12million total to hear both the names Fernandes and Huddlestone to fill a playmaker role I think that would be great business. It is known that he has tried to sign box to box players also so I would expect to see two of them in too.

Karl Masters
29   Posted 20/06/2008 at 17:55:08

We always seem to pay over the odds for Spurs players. Vinny Samways and Simon Davies were both pretty hopelsss and Anthony Gardner was a farce too.

£5m maximum I think is enough on an inconsistent performer like Huddlestone. He may have been in the England squad, but signing for Spurs means you are always likely to get in regardless of whether you are actually any good.... Ian Walker, Darren Anderton, Jermaine Jenas., etc, etc.. the list is pretty endless.
jason williams
30   Posted 20/06/2008 at 18:02:54

Aidy Dews - I am sorry but when you write like that no one wnats to read what you are trying to say.
This is a board for adults and literate people,both of which I am sure you are so why not try and sound like it?
Gavin Ramejkis
31   Posted 20/06/2008 at 18:17:04

Brad hope you enjoyed watching Ronaldo crying like a girl again last night at least you got to see him one more time in a red shirt before he dons the white of Real Madrid ha ha, he couldn’t even satisfy his bird so Alan Smith reckons
Ian Trickett
32   Posted 20/06/2008 at 18:26:04

Cant beleive the negativity of some of you lot. Huddlestone is a quality BRITISH player who can pick a pass better than most of our current first team and that what we have been lacking. Yes we need a ball winner but he could do that job, a pre-season under Moyes would certainly shift some of that excess timber. Only a spurs regect in so much as they have seemingly endless pots of money and naturally Ramos will want to buy a team of spics like RB. Great potential signing I think, like a young Glen Hoddle. Still rather have Micheal Johnson for that sort of cash.
Steve Collins
33   Posted 20/06/2008 at 18:50:14

No steve, stebe, syeve what ever you call yourself.

It’s the fact you can’t type spell or make a plausible sentence.

Sure you can’t even spell your own name right.

That’s what is embarrassing.
Aidy Dews
34   Posted 20/06/2008 at 19:12:00

Jason, i was just making the point that Huddlestone is not the type ov player we shud b going for, in my opinion hes shite! i mean excuse me for wanting Everton to aim higher n go for better quality ov player, i mean look at at Spurs, they finished in the bottom half ov the table n ad a poor season but yet theyve gone out n bought Modric n Giovani and theyve bin afta the likes ov Bentley, Eto’o, Villa to name a few, we (Everton) on the other hand finished fith n giv those gobshites over the park a real gud run for fourth but yet were being linked to ppl like Huddlestone, Maik Taylor, a couple ov youngsters from lower leagues (Mattock, Ribeiro)! i want 2 c Everton competing for the types ov players that the likes ov Spurs r buying, i mean wat cant we offer that the likes ov Spurs can? am sorry but i just expect more from Everton, is it just me or does any1 else think we shud be lookin at better than the likes Huddlestone?!
jason williams
35   Posted 20/06/2008 at 19:30:50

Aidy - I was reffering to the way you write:
ov,shud,b ppl etc ??
Unless you are 8 years old then you should be embarrassed.
Aidy Dews
36   Posted 20/06/2008 at 22:03:49

Sorry mate you must understand that I?m not a computer boff like yourself, its just easier for me to put words in that sort of short context!!!!
Jason Williams
37   Posted 20/06/2008 at 22:45:56

Computer boff?? Me? You are havin a laff!
I probably talk just like you but I write the way I was taught in school as it is how everyone else reads and writes!
Not having a go at all mate but it would proably make your life easier if people could understand what you were saying.
Jay Campbell
38   Posted 21/06/2008 at 09:23:06

He’s shite!!!!

We won’t move forward if we sign players of his calibre.
Alan Clarke
39   Posted 21/06/2008 at 09:45:31

He can play central defence too which is why Moyes will like him. Moyes loves his utility players especially defenders.