Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Old Days

Just watched Everton v Liverpool FA Cup tie from 1991, 4-4 after extra-time. Absolutely quality game, first time I'd seen it!

Couple of world class saves from Big Nev, Kendall and Harvey on the touchline, Graeme Sharp up front - quality.

Even better, Daglish resigned after and we won the replay!
Dan Parker, New York, US     Posted 26/06/2008 at 02:57:13

Comments

Ste Kenny
1   Posted 26/06/2008 at 07:57:17

The game where McAllister scored that free kick was on the other day. I haven' got a point to make... I just wanna call him a baldy bastard in a public domain.
Terence Leong
2   Posted 26/06/2008 at 08:20:39

I remember that game : ) well, i think we did a great job coming back each time they scored, but the fact is we were always playing catch up. It had to take Liverpool to take the lead before we worked hard at recovering the lost ground. I think Sharp scored the 1st two, and while Cottee the final two, while they had Beardsley scoring the first two, Rush had a header which saw Southall rooted to the ground, and Barnes had a curler with his weaker foot. It drew superlatives from the commentator. When you look at the replay, it’s amazing how agile big Nev was, and it had to take a superb effort from Barnes to beat him. What we had was the gusto to keep going, and I believe Cottee stole in at the death to nick the draw.
Darrel Pugh
3   Posted 26/06/2008 at 08:35:01

In true 90s fashion we beat them 1-0 in the replay, went to West Ham and totally fucked up going out 2-1, only Everton can do this to you.
Steven May
4   Posted 26/06/2008 at 09:27:59

Darrel,

I’m afraid you’re wrong. Speak to supporters of every other football team on the planet and, if they’re honest, they say exactly the same thing. It’s all a question of perspective.
Matt Dee
5   Posted 26/06/2008 at 09:55:28

yeh I remember that, I remember being right behind Barnes’s goal, seeing Nev’s hand just miss it, the pinging noise as it hit the goal frame on the way in, all in slow-mo. The celebrations when Cottee scored those two, and Dalglish’s face, ha - unbelievable!
Noddy Malik
6   Posted 26/06/2008 at 10:27:46

I also remember, if I ain't mistaken, Pat Nevin was denied the most blatant of penalties at the shit hole in the first tie. Just goes to show, nearly 2 decades on, things haven't changed.
Tim Lowe
7   Posted 26/06/2008 at 10:36:16

That game is my first proper memory of the blues. The RS defending was shocking. Nicol and Grobbelaar leaving the ball for Cottee to score an open goal was comical
Joe Clitherow
8   Posted 26/06/2008 at 10:39:19

I remember that game well, sat right near the touchline at the halfway line in the Paddock.

Most of all I remember the feelings of the game. Absolute tension all the way and you knew at the time you were watching a classic that would be remembered.

Even though it was tense, you just knew we wouldn’t be beaten and we’d win the replay - which we duly did and then turned in an absolute stinker in the next round at West Ham.

Joe
John Audsley
9   Posted 26/06/2008 at 12:54:26

Hi

Think it was Sharpy who put it in after the Nicol/Grob Cock up

I remember that game like yesterday, and the Cottee goal to make it 3 -3 sent me beserk

Would love to see that game again, The fans where incredible that night.

1991, good god i was only 15

ho hum
Dave Charles
10   Posted 26/06/2008 at 12:56:49

Dalglish quit after the 4-4 game.

Noddy Malik. I was near the front of the Anfield Rd end when Ablett took Nevin out. You could hear a loud crack of the shinpads smacking together. Everyone looked to Neil Midgley who gestured Nevin had dived. Yes, twenty years on, I still can’t believe it.
Philip Bunting
11   Posted 26/06/2008 at 13:42:48

Remember watching that game live on ITV I think at the time. Whole family 4 brothers and my dad watching and even now I can remember the excitement leading up to the match. Two of my brothers were and still are redshite fans whereas myself and my Dad were passonite blues. My mum had just received a new suite of furniture and when I think it was their 4th goal, my redshite brother jumped clean off the sitee came crashing down and broke the board which the cusion sits on. The face on my ma was unreal...... Then Cottee scored and sent me and ma Dad wild.... What a night, I was only about 13 at the time. Live in Northern Ireland btw so thats why we couldn't make the match if anyones thinkin.
Tony Cunningham
12   Posted 26/06/2008 at 13:58:36

I bought the game on video... hmmmm that’s not going to be much use to me anymore!
John Pendleton
13   Posted 26/06/2008 at 16:41:55

Any takers for the 1984 FA cup final recorded on Betamax?