Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Steve Round

Just read on a few websites in the North East and Newcastle have given Steve Round permission to talk to Moyes to be his new No 2!!

• Does this mean Moyes is ready to sign his new contract?
  • Does this mean Moyes is happy with the money he has to spend ??
  • Or does this mean he has his targets ready to sign from 1 July???

Terry Smith, Liverpool     Posted 27/06/2008 at 10:53:05

Comments

Erik Dols
1   Posted 27/06/2008 at 12:43:56

I know next to nothing about this guy - is he a decent nr 2? Good to see that Moyes is actively looking for an assistant.
Guy Hastings
2   Posted 27/06/2008 at 14:46:00

Wasn’t he Tonto to Big Sam’s Lone Ranger? Maybe BK’s softening us up for the real thing
Paul OHanlon
3   Posted 27/06/2008 at 15:10:14

"Does this mean Moyes is ready to sign his new contract?"

I thought the same thing myself Terry. Remember reading an interview with Moyes at the end of last season where he said something along the lines of "how can I bring in a number 2 when I don’t know my own long term future?".

Then again, won’t hold my breath!
Iain Latchford
4   Posted 27/06/2008 at 15:24:09

I thought he was going to go for Steve Clarke ?

Correct me if I?m wrong but aren?t Newcastle complete and utter shite ??

Scott Jenner
5   Posted 27/06/2008 at 15:24:45

Looks like our chances of signing a top international number 2 are over. I think the likes of Querioz at Utd have a big part in persuading top names to Utd (I know the fact they won the Champs League also helps). I believe a dutch Number 2 would be perfect and may stop the contant long ball tactics we seam to use when out of idea’s.
Paul O'Hanlon
6   Posted 27/06/2008 at 15:29:25

Agree Scott. I?d also like to see someone with a different mind set brought into the club. Not someone to change things radically, just someone to bring new ideas to training and the way we play. McClaren and Queiroz both did this very successfully at OT alongside Fergie.
Marc Williamson
7   Posted 27/06/2008 at 15:32:34

He got to the UEFA, FA Cup and Carling Cup finals with Middlesbrough so he might just have that X Factor to give us a push to cup finals. He knows what it takes to get there with the right squad. At Newcastle its been to unstable for some time but with a team like Everton he and Moyes can work wonders to bring in the silverwear we deserve. Its a good appointment in my opinion.
Dan McKie
8   Posted 27/06/2008 at 15:47:00

Steve Round is a very highly respected and sought after coach. He is probably sick of the media circus that is Newcastle United and he probably wonders how a couple of complete tools like Keegan and Wise have the jobs that they do!
John Lloyd
9   Posted 27/06/2008 at 16:23:44

It ?means? nothing! It means after loooking scurrilously for months that DM has decided on an asisstant.

It also shows he is keeping to his word after he revealed about a month and half ago that a No 2 would probably be his first summer signing!!

Mark Pendleton
10   Posted 27/06/2008 at 17:13:18

I’ve heard nothing but praise for Steve Round over the years and think it could be a very good move. I think it also helps allay fears over Moyes own future.
Brian Lawlor
11   Posted 27/06/2008 at 17:44:21

No, No and No.
Joe McMahon
12   Posted 27/06/2008 at 17:50:05

Impressive isn?t it, Newcastle always in the bottom half. I feel we realy need to look abroad for a No 2.
Marc Williamson
13   Posted 27/06/2008 at 17:53:43

As i said before Joe.
Mr Round has been to 3 finals with Middlesbrough and was a coach for England before he went to Newcastle. Thats one season which involved two managers which isn’t the best situation for him. So he had one bad season and now he isn’t good enough for us. Arteta didn’t have the best season last season. Is he not good enough as well?
When Round is at a team with a good solid base like we have with the squad and manager, then he can work wonders.
If he is at somewhere like Newcastle where they don’t stick with their staff and give them a chance. You get the results he had last season.
He already knows the Yak and some of our england boys. There is also the chance that he could help bring in more English talent like Downing for example.
Norman Merrill
14   Posted 28/06/2008 at 06:39:33

I am sure most of you know, Steve Round was a member of McClaren's ill-fated backroom staff, when in charge of England. At least he will know how to hold a brolly. But to be fair, he has to be given the chance; if Moyes does appoint him, he must see something in him.
Paul Formby
15   Posted 28/06/2008 at 08:38:50

At least its not Terry McDermott. He has served under every manager for the passed 10 years, and Newcastle still havent woke up and smelt the coffee.
Al Reddish
16   Posted 28/06/2008 at 10:16:39

What's the problem? I am sure this is the club that previous No 2 Alan Irvine came from and he didn't turn out too bad did he?
Alan Clarke
17   Posted 28/06/2008 at 11:05:58

I went to watch an England training session not so long ago when McClaren was still in charge and Round was involved too. Steve Round took the warm up and ran the fitness drills. He did not have anything to do with the set pieces or any other tactical bits of the training session.

I feared Moyes would go for him because it means Moyes will keep total control of the tactics he employs. Steve Round will be just be the guy who takes the training sessions, the more remedial stuff that Moyes doesn’t want to do. Some may say this is a good thing and a manager should keep total control of his tactics but in Round we will not have someone who offers a different approach to the game so expect more hoofball and channel running from our striker next season.
James Marshall
18   Posted 28/06/2008 at 11:58:45

Round worked under Steve McLaren so I hear - I’ll say no more......(large sigh)
Andy Lea
19   Posted 28/06/2008 at 12:42:25

Personally dont see this one happening - when was the last time you saw a scotsman get a round in????
Dominic Bobadilla
20   Posted 28/06/2008 at 18:16:33

I was hoping or someone from the continent. A German perhaps.