Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Called In!!!

I was told yesterday from a 100% relaible source within the club that the ground move WILL be called in, defintiely. The Board are obviously aware of this (goes without saying).

The board need to move now to make decisions on a way forward before we're left behind in the transfer goings on.

I'm actually that confused by it all I don't know whether it's good news or bad?
Brian Williams, Wirral     Posted 28/06/2008 at 14:05:24

Comments

Kenny Holden
1   Posted 28/06/2008 at 16:03:31

Name your source or retract...

Fantasy...

Poorest post ever
Trevor Thompson
2   Posted 28/06/2008 at 16:05:15

Brian W. Clearly you’ve got nothing better to do than post this complete wank.
Alex French
3   Posted 28/06/2008 at 16:12:39

so some one was right!! foot in mouth?!...
Jimmy Crack
4   Posted 28/06/2008 at 16:16:58

Lyndon & Michael....

Could you PLEASE stop allowing these posts that claim they have a ’reliable’ source, yet don’t name it?

Kenny’s got it right, it’s obviously pure fantasy and of all the submissions you allow to get on the site this one shouldn’t have gotten through.
Jason Broome
5   Posted 28/06/2008 at 16:12:50

Even if you’re right what do you want... adoration, commendation, Blue Peter badge? Real Journalists backup their statements with facts.. where’s yours?

Easy Kenny Toffeeweb is a news responsive sight. Pre season has given frequent contributors nothing to go on other than gossip. TW can hardly be blamed for that!
Alan Codd
6   Posted 28/06/2008 at 16:29:12

Partly agree kenny but why should TW censor on a message board what can and cant be said, this after all is tactics used by our club with regards to anti kirby banners at goodison park.
Fascism is alive and well
Michael Kenrick
7   Posted 28/06/2008 at 17:56:08

Couple of points:

Brian is one of our regular posters. I can well believe someone claiming to have such inside knowledge told him this ? we?ve all heard tales like this, haven?t we? Of course, that doesn?t make it true or false.

Requests for him to name the source (assuming for the sake of arguement that there really is one) may seem a sensible response but really they are not. He?s going to tell you... and jeopardize the relationship plus any future tidbits? Get real.

And think about this: how does it differ from the stuff we willingly lap up in the Echo or the Post that includes the line "an Everton Spokesperson" or "a source from within the club"? What?s sauce for the goose...

So take it or leave it. Why react so aggressively? How does this differ from the persistent rubbish printed in papers and on the internet virtually every day since 1 February that we are going to sign most of the known players in the football universe??

It?s the silly season... go with the flow! If I?ve learnned to do it (against my better judgement) so can you!
Lyndon Lloyd
Editorial Team
8   Posted 28/06/2008 at 18:06:37

Edited for repetition of Michael's comments

The Rumour Mill has always been the most popular page on the site alongside the homepage and the Mailbag so people clearly like to lap up idle speculation.

In this case, Brian?s post is one of a number of posts, emails and talk doing the rounds all the saying the same thing ? that Kirkby is likely to be called in.

So, do we post something early on the suspicion it may be true (and in the MailBag at that — it's not like it's a front-page headline) or withhold it because a few people might jump up and down because it?s unsubstantiated?

I?d be interested in other people?s opinions on this...

Will Bruce
9   Posted 28/06/2008 at 18:25:21

100% reliable source?...who is your source? President Mugabe?, as for the previous 2 posts in here, is it not time for Michael Kenrick and Lyndon Lloyd to belt up, do something constructive and stop clogging up this place?
Alan Clarke
10   Posted 28/06/2008 at 18:36:42

What Will, do something like stop running this brilliant website? I think they, more than anyone, are entitled to a view in their own mailbag.

Brian, if Kirkby will be called in, how does your insider know this? Surely, if it is DEFINITELY going to be called in for a public enquiry the government would have just done it already.
Lyndon Lloyd
Editorial Team
11   Posted 28/06/2008 at 19:09:02

Alan: Surely, if it is DEFINITELY going to be called in for a public enquiry the government would have just done it already.

I agree and it’s that that makes me wonder whether the decision to delay GONW’s decision by two weeks makes it more or less likely it’ll be called in. And if there are people "in the know" who have been told it will be called in, why wait an extra two weeks?
Phil Bellis
12   Posted 28/06/2008 at 19:48:03

OK..here goes
I have been told by Bill Kenwright, Chairman of Everton Football Club Company Ltd, that the King’s Dock money is ring-fenced.
Publish and be damned!
{I’ll get me coat}
Brian Finnigan
13   Posted 28/06/2008 at 19:54:50

Does anybody know what happens if it is not called in? Do the objectors (not Everton no-voters) have the opportunity to appeal? If so, how long would such an appeal take? If such an appeal is heard and then dismissed, what is the likely time-scale before the coup de grace is finally delivered and this great Club is contactually bound to leave its home and commit its future to the Borough of Knowsley. I would appreciate information from those experienced in such ma ters.
Brian Williams
14   Posted 28/06/2008 at 20:11:58

Firstly thankyou Michael for your "support" I’ll gladly reveal my source to YOU and you alone for the very reasons that you highlight.

I am a regualr poster and I don’t post fantasy. The board have already been told it will be "called in".

I was making the point, not for adoration or a Blue Peter badge as some "halfwit" suggests...but to simply point out further, if there were further proof needed, that our board are a disgrace...unless they make a publice announcement tomorrow, which I doubt.

As for the other bandwagon jumpers, name calling and ridiculing...

MY DAD’S BIGGER THEN YOUR DAD!!!!
Dan Parker
15   Posted 28/06/2008 at 20:44:29

Careless talk costs lives
Gavin Ramejkis
16   Posted 28/06/2008 at 21:08:33

Nice touch Dan P hopefully KW’s at Everton FC as he gets his overpaid fat useless arse booted out
Guy Hastings
17   Posted 28/06/2008 at 21:10:34

100% reliable source or Mystic Meg - it doesn?t matter. The move won?t happen as I?ve said all along and, just like Kings Dock, we?ll never really know why. What is 100% certain is that every time along the line consultants, brand shapers,marketing tosspots and the like pocket a fucking great wedge and still nothing happens. Assuming I?m right in my less than inspired prediction (call it the grizzled wisdom of the years), I?d like to know just why, with ?experts? coming out of the woodwork BK and KW weren?t told of the likelhood of it being called in. If they were, then they stand accused not only of self-deception but taking us all for a very long ride. Almost as far as Kirkby, in fact.
James Braid
18   Posted 28/06/2008 at 21:46:32

Brian Williams,

So the "board are a disgrace" ?

Why?s that? Because the government may (that?s ?may?, not definitely) call the scheme in?

Haven?t a number of Evertonians signed the bloody petition to have the scheme called in?

So who is really the disgrace here?
Rodney Marr
19   Posted 28/06/2008 at 22:10:57

Apologies for not keeping up with the program (I?m 6,000 miles from Old Swan) what does "called in" mean in this context?
Ed Fitzgerald
20   Posted 28/06/2008 at 22:07:54

James

Didn?t over 10,000 evertonians who could vote, vote against this? Are they a disgrace too? The fact is when the board begins with misleading information and half truths you are either

a) Purposely trying to mislead people

or

b) You really believe what you are saying is true and you have acted with due diligence and prudence to know the that the project can be delivered

So if its option B it makes them incompetent in the extreme or if it its Option A - it makes them responsible for trying to market the biggest load of bullshit ever knowing that essentially it was a tissue of lies

Coupled with a marketing strategy (post ballot) that would make Gerald Ratner proud e.g. deafening silences, threatening to sue its own fans etc etc I think it is perfectly reasonable to call them a disgrace

If you are pro-Kirkby fair enough, a question however do you think they have handled any aspect of this fiasco effectively??

Surely even the best advocate of the move to Kirkby would concede that poor leadership and management at the most senior levels have epitomised the DK project.
Lyndon Lloyd
Editorial Team
21   Posted 28/06/2008 at 22:24:58

What does "called in" mean in this context?

It means called in for public inquiry by the government where the whole shebang is scrutinised to the nth degree which, we?re told, could take up to a year.

The escalation in costs from raw materials and the like in the interim would almost certainly make Destination Kirkby prohibitively expensive and lead Everton to pull out while Tesco and Knowsley Council would reduce the scale of the retail development accordingly ? their Plan B.
Rodney Marr
22   Posted 28/06/2008 at 22:33:36

Lyndon, thanks for the explantion
Neil Pearse
23   Posted 29/06/2008 at 00:18:03

Ed, I am pro Kirkby but certainly accept that the communications aspect particularly of the proposed move has been handled abysmally. Mainly in my view because the club has not had the courage to tell supporters of our true financial situation - thereby allowing many to continue to believe that going to Kirkby is some bizarre mistake when we could be building a worldclass stadium in the centre of the city. Which of course we can nowhere near afford.

However, the vitriol aimed at the club because DK might be called in is simply idiotic. Of course a huge redevelopment project, in a sensitive area like this surrounded by hostile councils (the LCC in particular) defending their own patches, might get called in. This is base politics we are dealing with, not the kindergarten. Of course the club will have always known that this has always been a possibility.

If DK is called in, this will mean simply that LCC and the surrounding councils managed to summon more political firepower than Knowsley and Terry Leahy. It will hardly in itself show that BK and KW made a dreadful, calamitous and criminal blunder.

Well, unless you simply want to take all and every opportunity, however unjustified, to slam BK and KW. Which of course most posters on Toffeeweb now do.
Jeff Gwilliams
24   Posted 29/06/2008 at 02:05:41

The fact that the propsed new stadium CAN NOT be used for concerts and the like in direct contradiction to claims from the club to me can only be put down to incompetence or lies, there is no other possible explanation
John Sreet
25   Posted 29/06/2008 at 06:26:01

WOW, such venom... the guy is only re-telling what he?s heard, there are lots of ?sources? that could be the root of this, as I imagine Everton FC have ?office gossip? like any other business.... When was the last time any of you venomous lot ever said anything good about any Everton board or chairman? I know this site is designed to generate discussion, but it seems we get to the tipping point very quickly these days.
Brian Williams
26   Posted 29/06/2008 at 12:24:43

I just want to qualify why I felt the need to call the board "a disgrace"....

It was merely out of frustration with regard to their "apparent" tardiness over their dealings with David Moyes. I firmly believe that the biggest single factor in Everton’s continued improvement is down to David Moyes, plain and simple.

Now for the board to "know" that Kirby will be called in and still not have Moyes’ contract signed and still not give him the go ahead to make approaches for the players he’s "listed" is, I believe, a disgrace.

Bill Kenwright, whether you love him or loathe him, adores Everton, he really does.
But, and here’s from my source again, he is seemingly completely naive to the cut throat business that is football today. "Lives in a dream" my source said, and he meets with him on a regular basis.

Bill thinks David Moyes won’t walk because he (Moyes) loves Everton every bit as Bill does...I dont think that’s possible to be honest...and I the board in general aren’t being either fair or open with David Moyes.

Slag me, abuse me, whatever...I just know what I know and feel the need to say it.
John Lloyd
27   Posted 29/06/2008 at 14:51:21

I’m calling the board a disgrace along with Brian & I’m surprised that people are even asking why.

For every good thing that our club does they do more worse, 1 step forward 2 steps back & its not just this board we’ve been ran by fucking amateurs since the 70’s.
Tony Waverleas
28   Posted 29/06/2008 at 17:05:07

So, Bill is naive to the machinations of the cut-throat business that is modern-day football? Who says so? One of the Glazers? Randy Lerner? Abramovich? No, apparently it’s an anonymous mate of someone who posts on here.
If you think Bill is clueless then just say so - don’t hide behind unattributable quotes from a fella we’re all asked to believe meets Bill on a regular basis.
And just how qualified is this mole to judge how Bill is naive? Fine if he’s a fellow top-level football executive himself but if he’s just Bill’s milkman then I’m afraid "I know what I know" translates as "I know what I’d like you to think I know".
Dominic Bobadilla
29   Posted 29/06/2008 at 18:48:40

I have had so many dreams involving Everton that came true. So a dream is a reliable enough source for me.
Dave Mile
30   Posted 29/06/2008 at 23:36:34

I can’t beleive some of the postings here. I have tried to support BK since he took over, however he’s done nothing to justify my support apart from the fact that he supports the blues. I’m gonna stick my neck out here but I think we were better off financially when Johnson was chair. Just think about it... Johnson built the Park end (ok, he took a tier off); bought the Littlewoods playing fields in Netherton for the Academy; built the club shop; opened one in the city centre; bought property around GP (for when we got planning permission for stanley park, thanks LCC!). Obviously once the Kirkby golf course stadium fell through Johnson tried to get his money back and ran. Now lets look at BK.... He has Sold ALL of our non playing assets, which include the club shop, the property around the ground, the academy in Netherton, Bellefield; closed the city centre store; Outsourced all the catering, merchandising, and ticketing.

So before anyone gets on Brian W’s back about calling this board of directors a disgrace, they should look at the facts. Johnson was hounded out for selling the Yin and not supporting Everton growing up.

By the way, this post has nothing to do with the playing side of the club because obviously we have improved in that department!
EJ Ruane
31   Posted 30/06/2008 at 10:04:55

Tony.

BK is an egotistical, bull-shitting, slippery, fuck-witted, easily-duped by fat greedy bell-ends.....prick

I say this specifically for you, as I know you’ll appreciate me ’just saying so’, rather than hiding behind an ’unattributable quote’.
Tony Waverleas
32   Posted 30/06/2008 at 10:42:20

Gosh, EJ, top sweary ranting.
Well done for expressing yourself so eloquently.
If that?s what you think then fair dos to you.
No problem with that.
Hope you don?t have a problem with me saying I don?t have a problem.
Really well done though.
Andy Brittenden
33   Posted 30/06/2008 at 11:40:36

I think some of the vitriol against BK and the board HAS to be justified when, at a time when it is announced that the Kirby project MAY get called in, they have an emergency meeting! Obviously I understand that we don’t know exactly what the meeting was for but it all seems very coincidental doesn’t it? Especially with the whole issue of Moyes ’agreeing in principle’ to his contract which smacks of "well Davie if the Kirby move gets the go-ahead you can have £50 million to spend but if it doesn’t......."

That HAS to be amateurish doesn’t it?
Tony Waverleas
34   Posted 30/06/2008 at 16:03:13

Andy, at times it seems the only thing powering this place is the vitriol aimed at the board. Which is probably the same as any other site for any other club and is probably exactly how it should be as well.
People post and people respond. Job done.

What gets on my goolies though is this nudge-nudge, wink-wink, nose-tapping "can’t-tell-you-who-told-me-cos-they’d-get-the-bullet-but-believe-me-it’s-gospel" arserot that people trot out on here thinking it gives some kind of cast iron validity to their own opinions.
If you think something just say it; all that other "I know more than you nonsense" is just empty vanity.
EJ Ruane
35   Posted 01/07/2008 at 10:41:14

Thanks Tone!

(Eloquence......they’re the big grey things with tusks right?)