Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Yobo's ankle

Does anyone agree with me this is some good news and not all bad?

In the case of Yobo having a little rest, we are currently living in the situation of having 3 great full backs, and only 2 positions available per game. This resulting in Lescott being moved to left back which in his own right he's one of the best, but defeats the opportunity of another wonder.... Leighton Baines, who I still believe has the pace and quality of one of the top left backs would get more of a starting berth with Yobo out of the side. Along with his ability to overlap and cross just as well as Lescott does.

I see this as Leighton's chance to prove his worth, and reinforce Moysey's statements that there is a future for him at the club! The only downside I see is if Jags manages to get himself injured as well leading up to the season. But I think he should make it relatively unscathed.

It's only the midfield we really have the worries in. And I hope Moyes doesn't get too hard on the lad for striving for his country and developing goalscoring skills with the likes of his full back partner Lescott. :) Man to have both our full backs scoring... it's a bit weird but wow it's a great thing to read, see and hear about!
Mike Coates, Melbourne, Australia     Posted 30/06/2008 at 06:49:32

Comments

Alex Baker
1   Posted 30/06/2008 at 13:47:07

I believe that Yobo and Lescott is a better central defensive partnership. Jagielka is an excellent defender, but Yobo has certainly improved his concentration and made very few errors at all last season.
Erik Dols
2   Posted 30/06/2008 at 14:03:35

Agree with Alex. We’re in a luxury position in central defence anyway.
Dominic Bobadilla
3   Posted 30/06/2008 at 14:12:28

Then why are we after Suchy? Do we intend to play him in the midfield? We are weak in the right back position. Hibbert is excellent defensively, but his ability to pass the ball, as we well know, is appalling. Neville’s shite and should be sold. Let’s hope that Gosling will prove to the solution to our problems on this front.
Dominic Bobadilla
4   Posted 30/06/2008 at 14:16:26

Then why are we after Suchy? Do we intend to play him in the midfield? We are weak in the right back position. Hibbert is excellent defensively, but his ability to pass the ball, as we well know, is appalling. Neville?s shite and should be sold. Let?s hope that Gosling will prove to be the solution to our problems on this front.
Dan McKie
5   Posted 30/06/2008 at 14:49:50

We cant go a whole season with 3 centre backs Domonic, this Suchy fella is only 20, is highly rated and looks like he will cost only 2.5 mil so i think he would be more regarded as backup for now. We havent replaced Stubbs yet.
Connor Rohrer
6   Posted 30/06/2008 at 14:54:03

In Lescott, Jagielka and Yobo we have three excellent centre backs. Fans either prefer Jags or Yobo but at the end of the day there both good and can do a job. It doesn’t really bother me who plays alongside Lescott. There’s not much between them and both players will be suited to different games.

Having Yobo out is bad news. I want as much competition as possible for the starting eleven against Blackburn so hopefully he can come back and be in cotention. It will be interesting to see which combination Moyes goes for.

I do see your point though. Yobo being injured will give Baines a chance at getting a run in the team. I like Baines and his pace and quality on the ball would give us another dimension on the left hand side. He very lively and his energy would definatly improve us.

It all depends on what combination suits the team though. Having Lescott at left back could be the way to go because we are more solid which was the case last year.

The only weak link in defense for me is Phil Neville. Yobo, Jagielka, Lescott and Baines are all fine by me but Nev needs replacing. He doesn’t offer enough down the right hand side. We need a more rounded right back in my opinion. Someone with pace and overlaping qualities. We don’t play with wingers so someone who can get beyond teams and support is important. Baines can do it on the left but Neville can’t.
bill gren
7   Posted 30/06/2008 at 14:59:28

we have not replaced, Davis, Graveson, Mcfaddon, fernandez, carsley, garnener, Wessles, Van de meyde (hanging on) , Anderson Silva, and Stubbs. And that was just the first team squad, which was small to begin with.
Alex Baker
8   Posted 30/06/2008 at 15:43:25

Perhaps the best solution is to play a different back 4 in different games. For example, Hibbert is a good choice if you need a dangerous winger marked, Lescott could be a better choice than Baines at left back against a tall team, and Jagielka is an all round solid defender.
Jimmy Rimmer
9   Posted 01/07/2008 at 02:43:12

Couldn’t Lescott play right back? I think he’s good enough to play anywhere across the back four. Then we could have all our best defenders on the pitch rather than having a quality left back, two quality centre backs, and a pile of shite at right back! Only problem I see is that this might force Moyes to play Pip in midfield, and I think we’ve all had enough of that!

I really want to see Baines get a good run in the team, I rate the lad very highly... Plus, it would almost be like a new signing!
Mike Coates
10   Posted 01/07/2008 at 07:47:52

Going back to my point. With Yobo recovering, we will see what that (like a new signing) is like :)