Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Cup Final Get Together

A lot of people will miss the FA Cup final, for one reason or another. I think this offers Everton FC and Liverpool Council, the perfect opportunity, to begin working closer again. On Cup Final Day, in Liverpool, we could have one or all of the below:

a) Open Goodison Park and set up big screens. I do not think they could board the pitch, so a possible logistical nightmare, for large numbers. I think we may have done this before but opening the Stands only.

b) Liverpool Echo Arena. If available for the day, set up as a concert but with a massive screen on the stage. Sell tickets as per a concert but at reasonable prices.

c) Fan Fest. As per the World Cup in Germany. Choose an open air site, used to large crowds. Set up 3 or 4 big screens. It may be difficult to fence the perimeter, but if it?s free to attend, no fence needed, (as in Germany). The costs would be covered from the sales of food, drink and club merchandise.

At some point, a lot of us are going to have to face up to the fact that it?s over on the ticket front. So as a Plan B, I think it would be a brilliant day, at any venue in Liverpool. Fellow blues, from far and wide, can meet at the chosen venue(s) and create an amazing atmosphere.

I know I will be gutted if I don?t find tickets from somewhere, but I am not paying ridiculous prices. I know for sure, I would buy 6 tickets if needed, beer, food etc, for the ?Big Screen Final? at Goodison Park, the Liverpool Echo Arena or a Fan Fest.

All Blues together, from here, there and everywhere. It may be too late to organise an event of such size but I think it is something that should be considered, ASAP.
Paul Lally, UK     Posted 03/05/2009 at 16:17:00

Comments

Alan Kirwin
1   Posted 04/05/2009 at 00:19:48

Excellent article Paul. Agree with everything. Smart thinking.
Jon Odell
2   Posted 04/05/2009 at 00:19:32

As a Blue with Wembley on my doorstep, I don?t get to see the boys play on a regular basis. I have no chance of getting a ticket for the final and feel part of something special.

The obvious alternative for me is to make the reverse trip up the M1 and M6 and watch the final alongside fellow supporters somewhere in Liverpool.

Surely the club will have something organised, especially as there was so much praise heaped upon the support given in the semi ? not to mention the criticism aimed at the FA for the poor allocation of tickets.

In the meantime, if there isn?t going to be a Big Screen Final at Goodison, or a Fan Fest etc, can anyone recommend a decent venue in Liverpool to watch the match?
Jamie Crowley
3   Posted 04/05/2009 at 03:37:55

I think any sports fan, nevermind a Blue, would be stunned if there wasn?t some venue in Liverpool where a large number of supporters could come together to watch the final.I?d be floored if it didn?t happen. Floored.
And very stunned and disappointed for those craddle Evertonians in your area of the world (your home and the epicenter of EFC). You deserve the venue and the day, and the city would look bush-league if they didn?t put something together IMO.
Paul Ramsey
4   Posted 04/05/2009 at 07:45:35

Everton would be stupid to miss the trick with this one... and the council would have to be totally inept... Oh wait... both are often the case!

Oh well... guess I will be watching with my dad on the couch at home or the local!

COYB?s!

Scott Jenner
5   Posted 04/05/2009 at 08:25:34

Paul, I totally agree! I live in south Wales and do not want to be in the same position as the Semi where I was the only one in the local pub celebrating the win.

Are there any supporters clubs in the South Wales area doing anything for the Final??
Nick Entwistle
6   Posted 04/05/2009 at 08:31:02

Would be good Paul, but wouldn’t this be better posted to the local council?
Gavin Ramejkis
7   Posted 04/05/2009 at 08:32:22

It’s no good talking or posting on the web about this, get in touch with the club, get in touch with the Council, get in touch with the local papers (Daily Post and Echo) build up a head of steam and shame the buggers into action if they haven’t already made arrangements.
Colin Hanson
8   Posted 04/05/2009 at 11:31:32

Jon O'Dell, I know of a lot of people who are going to Wembley regardless of whether or not they get a ticket. There will be a great atmosphere between the fans who do not get into the stadium. Know any decent pubs by the stadium?
Kevin Tully
9   Posted 04/05/2009 at 11:50:03

Paul, The club are already advertising match day packages in the lounges at Goodison. I think some of them start at around £15.00 a head with a meal and a pint included. I am sure they would also fill most of the ground with a big screen, but I have not noticed this option being promoted.
Paul Connell
10   Posted 04/05/2009 at 12:25:19

Paul, A boss idea mate. Being one of many blues in acceptance that I won?t be going (haven?t got the dough for touts), I for one would be happy to go somewhere local I could take my little lad and we can generate a ?Wembley? atmosphere.

Why don?t you write to the club and the council with your ideas before someone else does then takes the credit! If you do, keep us posted on TW.
Paul Lally
11   Posted 04/05/2009 at 16:49:19

Update: I have sent the idea via email to Everton FC, Liverpool Echo and Liverpool City Council. Plus anyone else I thought would like the idea and is in a position to move things forward.

I hope something can be worked out as it would be a fantastic atmosphere. COYB

Tommy Gibbons
12   Posted 04/05/2009 at 18:22:43

Why would you wait for the club/council or anybody else to set a party up for you?! Have a party in your own house, go to your local, travel down to London, travel into liverpool city centre.. and if you?ve got no mates buy a load of ale... turn the telly up full blast dial a pizza/chinese etc... abuse a few passers by and you?ll soon have a house full of delivery men, disgruntled neighbours and bizzies... give em all some ale and ya should be ok...

Me ? I?ll be at Wembley with me mates coz we?re considerably better off in the ticket department than you and we?re alright Jack, Fred whoever... haa haaa

But seriously... be anywhere but work... coz in 1984 I missed the final coz I really needed the job and ended up getting sacked coz I threatened the fukin foreman, the rugby playing condescending twat, and it took a van load of bizzies to get me off the premises!!... ha haa.. bitter... not me!! and those who understand need no (more) explanation!

Elliott Fredson
13   Posted 04/05/2009 at 20:01:34

Come on Hull! Come on Hull! Hull City need to win so we stay 5th. Come on Hull.
Jalil Noor
14   Posted 04/05/2009 at 21:47:32

Brilliant idea! I?m flying in from Dubai a few days from the cup final so if there?s any location where evertonians will gather on matchday, I will be there.

Definitely going to miss out on them tickets and like most, have no dough for the touts so hopefully if there will be a known gathering somewhere in London itself or big screens at Goodison even better. Those with info keep us posted on TW please.