Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Seamus Coleman

With talk of money (yet again) being tight for the summer, I was wondering if any Blues reserve team followers could give their thoughts on Seamus Coleman.

Is he yet an option as back-up right-back? Do we need to keep Lars as well, if his wages could be best used elsewhere?
John Pickles, Wirral     Posted 01/05/2009 at 10:30:34

Comments

Keith Glazzard
1   Posted 01/05/2009 at 16:27:35

I think we know a lot more about Davis Moyes than we do about Seamus Coleman, and just on the lad’s age I would doubt whether DM would regard him as a ’back-up right back’. I don’t know what Jacobsen is paid, but £20k pw is about a million a year, and any player of his potential value to the club would cost much more in a fee alone.

The need to expand the squad seems to be very much on Moyes’ mind - hence the mention of Castillo along with Jacobsen. I guess that Segundo could come in a much more affordable package than £4.5m upfront. No doubt Coleman has his place in the jigsaw puzzle, but probably not a very big part just yet.
Chris Brigden
2   Posted 01/05/2009 at 17:01:28

I think we should use our whole summer budget on signing Theo Walcott, we are desperate for his pace.
Tim Wardrop
3   Posted 01/05/2009 at 17:07:07

Chris - I think it’s a pretty safe assumption that we will NOT be signing Theo Walcott
Ian Tunny
4   Posted 01/05/2009 at 17:58:12

Chris what a daft comment.
1) Why would Arsenal want to sell?
2) How coould we afford him?
3) Why would he want to come to Everton when he has Champions League football and has just broke into the 1st team?
Paul Walsh
5   Posted 01/05/2009 at 18:14:44

It would be a signal of intent to try and sign Walcott even if it’s a total non starter. Even though, I see him as having miles to go in developing his game. A realistic although not as pacy alternative..Bentley?
Charlie Peredur
6   Posted 01/05/2009 at 18:34:44

Stephen Ireland
Paul Davey
7   Posted 01/05/2009 at 19:55:57

I live in Ireland; Stephen Ireland is not a popular man over here, he won't play for his international team.

Ireland by name not by nature.
Chris Brigden
8   Posted 01/05/2009 at 20:16:04

Tim you need to change your attitude, we need to be aiming for players such as Walcott if we are going to break into the top 4.
Tim Banks
9   Posted 01/05/2009 at 20:31:44

Chris, aiming for a player is all well and good, but be realistic. Even if Arsenal were willing to sell Walcott, do you seriously think he’d be willing to leave them for a club that isn’t in the Champions’ League?

Seriously, get real.
Chris James
10   Posted 01/05/2009 at 20:32:19

Err ambition is all very well, but let’s keep it real - why on earth would Arsenal even think about selling Theo Walcott, one of the star performers of their current crop with massive potential.

By that rationale we should be having a go for Ronaldo, Fabregas, Gerrard and Drogba whilst we’re about it...come on, be serious fellas - let’s target some players that might actually be available!
Lee Gorre
11   Posted 01/05/2009 at 20:32:51

Chris, it?s not about Tim needing to change his attitude but more about you needing to be more realistic.

There isn?t the slightest chance that Arsenal are going to let Walcott go and even if this were not the case he wouldn?t be sold to us as we are now much closer to challenging teams like Arsenal, so better to take the positive aspects of use not being likely to sign him.
Keith Glazzard
12   Posted 01/05/2009 at 20:37:04

Having replied to John’s post a few hours ago, it occurs to me that I don’t know what Everton players are paid. I’ve found some PL comparisons for a couple of years ago, but all in global figures club by club.

Is there a reasonably reliable source of information anyone can direct me to?
Shane Corcoran
13   Posted 01/05/2009 at 21:26:07

I also live in Ireland but I’m afraid I don’t know what that, or Stephen Ireland’s unwillingness to play for his country, has to do with this thread. And that’s before I start to think about why someone would type "STEPHEN IRELAND" on any thread.
Joe Clitherow
14   Posted 01/05/2009 at 23:19:08

Chris Brigden you’re a card aren’t you?

Is Theo still the main threat in the Cup final then?
Jimmy Crack
15   Posted 02/05/2009 at 00:33:53

Players that might actually be available...

I would love to see Downing at Everton he seems like a Moyes-type player: hard-working and loyal

Also I’d like to see Moyes try for Obinna again. The two of them would solve our wing crisis
Dave WIlson
16   Posted 02/05/2009 at 06:18:01

Funny how everyone wants to play in the Europa Cup claiming it?ll attract top players, then every time a top player is mentioned, he?s quickly dismissed as a possibility... because we are not in the Champions League!

I heard James Milner is gettable, he?s young skillful, can cross a ball, can operate on either flank and works his arse off, he?s also just about affordable.
Chris Brigden
17   Posted 02/05/2009 at 08:17:05

Jimmy do you really want Moyes to blow his summer budget on Downing, a championship player? We are never going to break into the top 4 with this attitude. We need to set our targets much higher, ie, Walcott.
Dave Harrison
18   Posted 02/05/2009 at 08:52:22

Did this thread start on April Fool's...?

1) We always go for a transfer target that we are not going to get and then complain all summer about Kenwright and the club etc.... so going for Walcott to show our intent is surely a piss-take....?
2) How did this thread go from an honest question about a young reserve guy to Downing, Milner et al....?

Just start a new thread called "Summer Silly Season starts in May....."

Chris Kelly
19   Posted 02/05/2009 at 08:49:23

Let's forget Walcott, it?s not happening. I like where your head?s at but it just isn?t possible. We should be going for Portuguese, Spanish and French players that want to jump to a better league. Affordable, athletic youngsters who are on the up.
Gavin Ramejkis
20   Posted 02/05/2009 at 08:57:28

With little more than a pot to piss in it’s fair to say Everton need to find stars of the future rather than stars of now as we can’t afford them and/or they just aren’t available. Something that Wenger and over the last season or two Steve Bruce has done at Wigan; found players no one has heard of but after just a season or two in the EPL has buyers clambering for. Scout the cream of the youth crop and look beyond this country as the majority of British players are shite in comparison.
James Smith
21   Posted 02/05/2009 at 11:56:22

Re. Coleman, I recall some comments from Moyes that said that whilst Coleman has the technical attributes and potential to play now, he needs a lot of work on his fitness and general physical condition, as well as his mental attributes in order to play in the league. I don?t know if this means he?ll be ready by the summer or not until next summer, but there you go...
Jason Broome
22   Posted 02/05/2009 at 17:17:27

As right-backs go from what I?ve heard, Moyes wants Fanni...

Don?t we all!
Stephen Graham
23   Posted 02/05/2009 at 17:44:49

Joe Clitherow,

You need a lobotomy ? Theo won?t be playing in any final this year.
Justin Connolly
24   Posted 02/05/2009 at 17:57:56

Will someone please answer this guy's question, ie: Is Coleman any good?
Jason Broome
25   Posted 02/05/2009 at 18:05:44

Stephen, Joe was referring to an earlier post mate.

Justin, you have a point!

Our squad is threadbare so if he was ready he would at least make the bench. My guess is we?ll see him come pre-season.
Stephen Graham
26   Posted 02/05/2009 at 18:27:30

Jason,

That was a joke that I know Joe will understand ... we went to the same school, it was great, it was approved!
Jason Broome
27   Posted 04/05/2009 at 14:08:56

Stephen... Understood mate, my bad.