Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Liver Bird

There's growing support out there to have the Liver Bird returned to our badge. Any chance of a poll or a campaign on ToffeeWeb?
Andy Hegan, Liverpool     Posted 02/05/2009 at 06:14:47

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Hmmmm... I'd be just a little concerned that there may be a split of opinion on the Liver Bird. Symbol of the City, yes... but it might seem a bit lame to want to incorporate it now after we actually let it lapse all those years ago. I guess my question would be... Why?

The identity of the club must extend to the City it hails from ?is that is the perceived weakness in Everton's brand image that this movement is aiming to rectify? Everton FC's identity has always been with Everton, the district within Liverpool, and since the 1930s the club crest has included Rupert's Tower off Everton Brow.

To push for the inclusion of a symbol that adorns the crest of our arch rivals seems flawed to me. But perhaps we could have a really small one perched atop said tower... would that suffice?

Gerry Quinn
1   Posted 02/05/2009 at 14:18:35

Michael - although I understand your suggestion, somehow I’m not not sure any Evertonian would want a Liver Bird perched ATOP our tower!
How about on one leg of the shorts - a BLUE one?
Michael Kenrick
2   Posted 02/05/2009 at 14:27:56

Yes, you?re right, Gerry... how about perched in the window then? Or scratching about among the bits of grass at the base, looking for worms...?

I think I?d better stop now.
Ste Kenny
3   Posted 02/05/2009 at 14:34:49

I was born here (Liverpool) and I?ve lived here my whole life. I don't want to identify myself with people who support the shite. I like that we're just Everton from Everton ? nothing else is needed.

If people don't recognize who we are by our badge, that's their problem!

Jeremy Benson
4   Posted 02/05/2009 at 14:50:57

Why would we want something that the RS have on their badge?

What next - change the strip to red?
Tony I'Anson
5   Posted 02/05/2009 at 14:55:54

So long as it doesn?t have that twig or piece of straw, or grass or whatever it is in its mouth and is blue. Or just use the Liver Building shape without the bird on it at all that is more recognisable as our skyline, not with a stupid pigeon stuck on top of it.
Ivor Bona
6   Posted 02/05/2009 at 15:00:38

No to the liverbird, Michael's right ? Everton let it lapse years ago so it's a nonsense to try and get it back now. It would just feel wrong, it?s been tarnished now by that other lot so let it go. Just a thought though... if we still had it, what would that other lot use? ? a long ship? ? a vikings helmet?
Adam Cunliffe
7   Posted 02/05/2009 at 15:32:58

"Those that understand need no explanation; Those that don?t understand don?t matter."

Prince Rupert's Tower is OUR Tower. It?s Everton?s tower. And we don?t need a shitty little bird, however iconic it is to the city of Liverpool, on our shirts to boost our reputation.

If people don?t know about Everton, they don't matter to Everton. NSNO
Andy Hegan
8   Posted 02/05/2009 at 15:44:55

My suggestion had nothing to do with telling people where we are from, merely just to reclaim a hijacked piece of our history. There is no reason why it can't be incorporated with Rupert's Tower, not replace it.
Anthony Dyer
9   Posted 02/05/2009 at 15:53:58

There is a woman on Blue Kipper who calls herself the Liver Bird and she has a Blue Liver Bird as a symbol, however, it is now so much linked with our friends accross the park that it wouldn’t look right on our badge.
Has Kirkby got an iconic emblem we could use?
Brian Williams
10   Posted 02/05/2009 at 16:23:17

I?ll keep it short and sweet...

FUCK RIGHT OFF!
Dennis Stevens
11   Posted 02/05/2009 at 16:24:12

As an Evertonian, I?m totally opposed to the suggestion, it would look absolutely desperate. There?s no harm in using the image on T-shirts, especially if done so in the right way. However, I?m not a Liverpudlian & so perhaps the opinions of locals should count for a little more than my own humble point of view.
John Jones
12   Posted 02/05/2009 at 17:14:35

And I will also keep it short and sweet:

FUCK RIGHT OFF!

And do not post ridiculous, meaningless posts like this AGAIN!!!
Adolf Ng
13   Posted 02/05/2009 at 18:12:44

Being an Asian, I am pretty sure that, if the liver bird is added to the badge, most people in East Asia (depressingly many LFC fans) would think that Everton is incorporated into LFC so that LFC can play in both Champions League and Europa League!
James Smith
14   Posted 02/05/2009 at 18:45:42

Growing support? This is the first I’ve heard of it.
Guy Hastings
15   Posted 02/05/2009 at 18:45:32

Just reminds me of that fucking awful 70s sitcom. Might as well have Nerys Hughes?s arse on the badge.
John de Frece
16   Posted 02/05/2009 at 19:09:31

Well, if you happen to live in Liverpool, you simply don't know and probably don't care that most people abroad will react to me telling them (when I say that I come from Liverpool) is to mention two things alone: The Beatles and The Shite. Whether you like it or not, the fact that they have the name of the city gives them a massive image advantage.

Those who know a little about football know perfectly well where we come from ? hence the Israeli commentators at the semi-final could say (and how much I enjoyed it!), "It could well be that the only trophy going to Liverpool this year is to the team that plays in blue."

If we ARE going to Kirkby ? then yes, we have to try and "compensate" by strengthening our Liverpool connection.... So it's not an idea that we should flatly reject.

Barry Scott
17   Posted 02/05/2009 at 19:40:16

Why not just add the Liverpool County FA logo to the bottom of the shirt (in blue and white of course)?

Everton are already affiliated with the LCFA and the original Liverbird on the Everton kit came from the Liverpool and District FA crest.

All bases covered?
Jim Reardon
18   Posted 02/05/2009 at 19:45:39

Anthony, forget about Kirkby ? it's not happening, take a look at the KEIOC website. Thank fuck for that!!!
Tony Horne
19   Posted 02/05/2009 at 20:20:58

Adolf Ng makes a good point. Why make ourselves look like Liverpool reserves. It would undo all the good work trying to look like the reserve team of Man Utd.........
Stuart Reid
20   Posted 02/05/2009 at 20:57:40

I’m not from Liverpool so I don’t claim to understand some of the emotions, but it would be somewhat ironic to add the symbol of the city just before the club moves out of it.
Tom Hughes
21   Posted 02/05/2009 at 20:53:53

I agree, I there is a growing support for reclaiming the bird although I don?t think it should be on the badge as such..... how about just on corporate/branding imagery and letter heads etc? And if on the kit anywhere, a bit more hidden... perhaps as an embossed pattern in the fabric or on labelling within.

I believe it will have the opposite effect and in fact weaken their identity rather than ours. We were first to have it.... However, if anything we were one of the last clubs to incorporate a badge apart from the earliest examples with LCFA and the 1920s EFC efforts.

We would still have our now traditional shield has our real figurehead, but we would be reaffirming our identity with the city of Liverpool for which we are the senior club. LFC realised the importance of their emblem and incorporated on their shirts generations ago to assert themselves on the population when they really weren?t worthy of the recognition and support they have now..... recently they even tried to buy the copyright of the symbol. They know the importance of that brand, and they hate the notion that among many we are considered the more local team. I think we can have our cake and eat it on this!

Tommy Gibbons
22   Posted 02/05/2009 at 22:01:23

If it windes the RS up, it's worth having!! And I?ve said for years we should reclaim it because it's ours!!
Best design would be to incorporate the 1891 League Championship winning medal (see David France Collection) onto our shirts and t-shirts. This would be seen as a bona-fide use of our history and not just a wind-up. (message to editor... could you post a link to the 1891 medal)?

Oh... alrught... since you asked so nicely:

Dick Fearon
23   Posted 02/05/2009 at 22:27:19

If we we get Time Team to fossick around Kirkby they might find something very interesting to use as our crest.

Any suggestions what that could be?
Andy Hegan
24   Posted 02/05/2009 at 22:59:01

Thanks to the majority for the informed opinion.
Brian, John and Guy - IYKYH
Jay Woods
25   Posted 02/05/2009 at 23:18:07

I’m all for the Liver Bird being in our badge again, especially given all the sensitivity over us moving to Kirkby (supposedly). It represents Liverpool, as do Everton, so let it represent Everton also.

Bayern Munich have had a few identity issues too with the fact that their name "Bayern" is mentally associated by Germans with the colours blue and white and yet the team wears red most years. That may be why they have from time-to-time added blue stripes or even worn all blue for 2 season in the late 1990s.
Gareth Humphreys
26   Posted 03/05/2009 at 00:37:35

I?m all for it. The liver bird is symbolic with the city of our birth and should be recognised somewhere.

I?d go the whole hog and mention Anfield as well as often as we can just to remind everyone that those horrible shower are our bastard offspring.
Derek Thomas
27   Posted 03/05/2009 at 06:15:29

What complete and utter BOLLOCKS, never, no, nien, nyet, no and thrice no.

We are also affiliated to the Lancs FA so we can have their crest as well on the other leg of our shorts or wherever.

The hopefully soon to be defunct Kirkbydome is very near to the crackheads' drop-in centre, or so I am told, so we could maybe incorporate a little baggie and a srynge as well.

As for Nerys Hughes?s Arse, I?m all for pictures of naked women, but (no pun intended) the 1969 version NOT the 2009 version.

The Liver Bird, it?s just a Cormorant FFS!
Peter Pridgeon
28   Posted 03/05/2009 at 07:02:31

As Derek correctly says the Liver bird is a Cormorant, Cormorants are also known as ?Shags?...
So who wants a shag on the top of Rupert?s tower?
Nick Entwistle
29   Posted 03/05/2009 at 11:35:45

Promoting Everton as part of the city of Liverpool, as I believe this thread is about, is a strange one... Do we see Juventus and think of Turin? Benfica with Lisbon?

So I?m not too sure why there?s this need for identification to the city of Liverpool when it comes to foreigners looking on. And if its achieved, so what? What happens then?

If it does need to be done, then why use a bird symbol which isn?t known that well to even people around the UK? Not when seen on its own anyway.

The Madrid area?s animal is a bear, what would we think if Rayo Vallecano had this on their shirts? Probably, why am I watching Rayo Vallecano...

Colin Pardew
30   Posted 03/05/2009 at 12:01:25

The LIVER BIRD: It should be on the right breast on the team shirt.

KIRKBY: It is not over and the club and others still want it to happen. A web site with an agenda is not the place for objectivity. That is not to say it will happen; however, nothing is clear it has fallen through at all.

THE PEOPLE?S CLUB: The best explanation of the split at Everton that created LFC is here: http://www.liverpoolwiki.org/History_of_Everton_FC.

The timeline explains it simply; Everton from the outset were a fan-based community People?s Club. Great stuff. I am glad we went to GP from Anfield.
Andy Hegan
31   Posted 03/05/2009 at 18:56:14

Colin, your first line was all that needed to be said, spot on .
Harry Charles
32   Posted 04/05/2009 at 16:38:38

We [Everton] have more right to the the Liver Bird emblem in BLUE or what ever colour we decide. We were and are here first, it's a lot to do with commercial and selling rights. Everton Scousers have all the rights before Rednose Scousers.
Brian Williams
33   Posted 04/05/2009 at 20:08:57

I know my history alright... but that's what it IS ? history. We should have nothing to do with a symbol that has become synonymous with the RS ? END OF STORY! Don?t care if we had it first it?s what it now means to anyone who sees it... .get over it, think up something else FFS!
Andy Hegan
34   Posted 05/05/2009 at 13:18:27

Brian, take a chill pill and think it through properly........FFS