Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Chelsea Boots

With two games to go in the Premier League and our place in the Europa Cup next season now realised, all attention is quite rightly turning to the the Cup Final at Wembley on May 30th.

With Jo cup-tied, Saha unable to gain a place in any of David Moyes's starting formations, and a likely scenario of Everton packing the midfield against Chelsea, who will the Manager select? It would appear that it will be a toss-up between the effervescent yet precocious Jack Rodwell or our South American powerhouse but equally unproven Segundo Castillo.

My feeling is that Moyes will go with Castillo given his recent performance against Chelsea and the shackling job that he did on Lampard. However, it may be Castillo's final game for Everton and if he has a nightmare he is unlikely to suffer any repercussions.

My heart says Rodwell; Colin Harvey once stepped up to the plate at the young age of 17 against the mighty Internationazle and there is no reason on the evidence to date that Rodwell cannot do the same.
Peter Laing, Liverpool     Posted 11/05/2009 at 14:37:03

Comments

Connor Rohrer
1   Posted 12/05/2009 at 09:05:06

I’ll probably be Louis Saha starting, just a like for like change with Jo and the same starting eleven as the one in the Semi final.

He’s a quality player but you have to look at the bigger picture, he hasn’t had any pre-season this year and he’s missed half the season through injury. Louis is bound to be very rusty, that has showed of late.

If it was a case of Rodwell v Castillo then it’s Rodwell all the way for me, he’s a better player and offers more going forward. I wouldn’t go with Neville and Castillo in a game we are looking to win. We need to show a bit more ambition and Rodwell is more comfortable on the ball.
Ajay Gopal
2   Posted 12/05/2009 at 09:41:06

This is what I think will be DM’s team for the Final barring injuries (or I don’t understand the man at all):

Howard, Hibbert, Yobo, Lescott, Baines, Osman, Neville, Rodwell, Pienaar, Fellaini, Cahill

Subs: Saha, Vaughan, Gosling, Castillo, VDM, Jacobsen, Nash

Unless Hibbert is unfit, DM will always favour him for such an important match. Ditto, Osman.

I really cannot see Saha/Vaughan starting the Final based on the recent matches.

IMO, this would actually be a team that can match Chelsea physically, and maybe nick a goal.

COYB !!

Ste Lynch
3   Posted 12/05/2009 at 10:10:39

I?m pretty sure that the team above was the starting 11 for the Middlesborough quarter final. For the first half of that game we were pretty dire. Middlesborough had the run of midfield. That?s why Cahill has been playing the deeper role of late.
Michael Jennings
4   Posted 12/05/2009 at 11:39:36

Boss Debate!!!

Our main success and best football this season has come through a front two of Fellaini and Cahill I?d be happy with this in the final (Saha and Vaughan would make good impact players on the bench). It's then as you say a toss up between Castillo and Rodwell, both raw at times but both with merits. Personally I'd go with Rodwell he keeps the ball better an that Wembley pitch is too big to be giving the ball away to a team taller stronger and faster than us.
Tim Wardrop
5   Posted 12/05/2009 at 12:59:09

The team will be the same as the semi (except Yobo for Jags of course). I agree with the comments that we were best with Cahill and Fellaini up top, but this was when we had Arteta in central midfield. Neville and Rodwell / Castillo in there is just too negative.

And to whoever has suggested VDM will be on the bench: No he won?t! Not sure if you?ve noticed this in the last few games, but he hasn?t made the bench for quite a while. Assuming the team is the same as the semi, with Yobo in for Jags, the subs will be: Nash, Jacobsen, Rodwell, Castillo, Gosling, Baxter and Vaughan, although I?m not sure if Jose?s still going to be away with England when the final?s being played, so if he?s not around Wallace will be on the bench.

Basically Wallace, Baxter and Agard are all ahead of VDM in the pecking order right now, although I must admit, I would have VDM on the bench if I was in charge (cue this post turning into the 45th debate about VDM on TW this season!)

Sean McCarthy
6   Posted 12/05/2009 at 13:11:48

Rodwell before Castillo for me. VDM can watch it at home on the telly. He shouldn't be included in the travelling party let alone on the bench.
Tony Williams
7   Posted 12/05/2009 at 13:41:41

Tough one to call, my initial reaction was the same as Ajay?s, stick Tim up front and have the usual 4-5-1 formation, Saha is not going to be a threat against Terry and Alex.

Midfield is a tricky one also... on one hand Castillo had a stormer against Fat Frank at Stamford Bridge but we cannot have a midfield of Neville and Castillo and expect to create anything; however, I feel that Rodwell will be overawed with the occasion and Essien will have him for breakfast. Glad I am not the manager

The defence picks itself.
Dennis Stevens
8   Posted 12/05/2009 at 16:15:08

A bit harsh, Sean. Let’s not forget we might not even have got to Wembley were it not for VDM’s contribution. If he’s fit enough he should be on the bench, particularly as he offers something different from any of our other players.