Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

New Kit?

Have I missed something here?

Does anyone have any updates on when the new kit will be released, whether it will be before the Cup Final, and will it be shipped both in the UK and overseas in time for May 30?

At this point ? May 21 ? that seems very unlikely, and with the old Megastore already closed and many items unavailable anywhere, that means the club have stuffed up a wonderful marketing opportunity and have lost money they could have made.

This seems almost farcical to me.
Julian Wait, Austin, TX     Posted 21/05/2009 at 23:52:57

Comments

MIchael Kenrick
I'm sure it was tied up with the switch between the old Umbro/JJB contract and the new LCS/Kitbag contract, possibly with penalty clauses if Everton were to curtail the former before the agreed expiry date... which apparently was something like May 31st. When the contract was agreed 5 years ago (or whenever) I don't think anyone new we would be contesting a Cup Final the day before...
Paul O'Hanlon
1   Posted 22/05/2009 at 14:10:50

As Michael says, Julian, it's just one of those things with us being tied into a contract with Umbro until after the final.

Shame though, cos the club are missing out on thousands of pounds worth of revenue. I?m going into town this weekend to buy loads of banners and flags, but it?ll be from market stalls, not EFC.
Geh Looker
2   Posted 22/05/2009 at 14:11:14

It is farcical, I live abroad and as my mum and dad were heading over this weekend I asked my mum to try and sort me a shirt out. After going into 2 JJB?s she was told that they had sent all the Everton shirts back a few weeks ago... WTF??

So I?m assuming there are shitloads of shirts in a warehouse somewhere not going to be sold. Even if you have a deal ending, you should be making the most out of an FA Cup final for yourself and the club who are still your partners.
Paul Dewhurst
3   Posted 22/05/2009 at 14:21:58

I think Michael has hit the nail on the head. But do agree its shit we can?t take advantage of the cup final. However, I?m confident that with Kit Bag running our merchandise this will improve 10 fold they do know what they are doing. And I think the name of he new store in town, Everton 2 (in) Liverpool 1, is the start of some good marketing! And belive we will have more Wembley visits to come!! COYB!!!!
Chris Briddon
4   Posted 22/05/2009 at 14:39:16

The new shirts don?t come out until June / July time.
The on-line store is closed due to the termination of the deal with JJB who ran it (although the megastores are still open until after the cup final ? shirts currently being sold for about £6).

You couldn?t seriously expect Umbro to let us use our newshirt (made by someone else) for the Cup Final whilst they still have the contract could you!?!
John Pendleton
5   Posted 22/05/2009 at 14:32:11

Paul Dewhurst

Agree with Kitbag being a positive move but I do have a few concerns about the town centre store name In an otherwise promising marketing push by Everton.

I think the town centre pun could actually backfire on us. Apart from being slightly petty, we are in danger of constantly linking the Everton brand inextricably with Liverpool’s in the long term (Liverpool 1 - Everton 2) - diluting the potential impact (who wants to be forever associated with the number 2?)

And worse, it won’t be long before some pinkie/journo points out the original megastore’s new name and the post code in which it resides i.e. Everton 1 - Liverpool 4!).

Watch this space!
Simon Gilmovitch
6   Posted 22/05/2009 at 15:16:52

Does anyone know if any of the high street shops will sell our shirts? I live in Glasgow. I know JJB didn’t do the best job for us with very poor shop displays, but at least I could walk into any number of their shops in Glasgow and buy EFC kit.
Nathan Ward
7   Posted 22/05/2009 at 15:29:34

John Pendleton - come on fella. The name of the new store in Liverpool One is genius.

Trying to say that calling it second, or number 2 is almost as if you are looking for a negative thing.

Even the RS mates of mine see the funny side in Everton 2.

It is a shame that the club can?t make the most of merchandise for the final but that is the misfortune of the contract dates. Nothing can be done about that.
Nick Lees
8   Posted 22/05/2009 at 15:38:45

I agree the name of the new store is great in Liverpool One; however, I?m not convinced the new store is in the best spot.

Liverpool One is full of designer shit shops and may become a bit of a white elephant; possibly Church Street will attract more people and passing trade.

Ben Jones
9   Posted 22/05/2009 at 15:47:48

I dunno Nick, Liverpool have their shop in Liverpool One and they’re doing pretty well. And I don’t think the city would have spent that much money on the whole complex if it was just going to attract people who are looking for "designer shit", as you put it. You do have a point though, there are a lot of those designer shops there, but there’s also a lot of others too. I love the name, like the location and from the pictures from the OS, the shop looks great inside too
Joe Barnes
10   Posted 22/05/2009 at 16:12:12

It really isn’t the end of the world if you have to wait until after the cup final to get a new top. Jesus Christ!!
Julian Wait
11   Posted 22/05/2009 at 16:43:45

@ Joe Barnes: I agree I can wait for a new shirt and if the team play in the old one anyway, that’s not anyone’s concern. However there are lots of kids and big kids out there who might want a shirt for the final?

We cannot even get them the current shirt. My post was badly or incompletely titled. The over-riding concern was the loss of revenue for the club. Poor marketing and business management has been a hot button for a while now.

Hopefully the club - and Elstone in particular - see the mistakes made in the past and work to resolve this with better strategy in future.
Steve Collins
12   Posted 22/05/2009 at 16:56:58

The club hasn?t lost out on any oppurtunity. So please stop bleating on about it.

The FACTS are our contract with UMBRO runs out AFTER the FA Cup final so there is nothing the club could do about it is there?

Now move on, it's not a big thing really.
Simon Gilmovitch
13   Posted 22/05/2009 at 23:40:38

I guess the answer must be a NO then. The only places to get Everton stuff are.... The megastore, Everton 2 and online. So if I can?t buy online and I can?t shop in Liverpool, then I?m fucked... This new Kitbag/LCS thing sounds like a great deal... not. So much for expanding the fan base!!!
Steve Flaherty
14   Posted 22/05/2009 at 23:46:35

Just watching Everton 84-85 season on ESPN Classic. Must say I can?t wait to see our boys back in a Le Coq Sportif kit, hopefully it will bring the same kind of glory days to them as it did to the boys who wore it that season.

The derby at Anfield looked unreal... there must have been nearly as many blues in the kop as reds! Pity they can?t wear it in the cup final but contracts are contracts.

Peter Roberts
15   Posted 23/05/2009 at 10:16:02

Unlike John Pendleton I think the idea of re-branding the stores Everton One and Everton Two is an excellent idea. Besides, I’m not sure whether anyone says Liverpool Four in reference to the postcode, but rather just L4.
Wes Burgin
16   Posted 23/05/2009 at 14:21:02

The shirts are all on ebay! Loads of them even with names and numbers on the back. Pretty pricy though if you?re getting one for the cup final effectively for one game.

Living in Sunderland I?ve started getting the shirts from the Official site as I can then get any player name and number, Premier Patches and long sleeve.

The non-existent selection in the Sunderland stores meant I often could only get one in Newcastle- and often not even my size (a medium).

The official site might mean I pay the official retail price but at least I get what I want. I buy as soon as they go on sale to get my money's worth!
Neil Styles
17   Posted 18/05/2009 at 12:27:48

Ax I'm interested to know what the general consensus is regarding our new 25th Anniversary home shirt. For anyone who has yet to see it, here's the link: http://www.epltalk.com/new-everton-home-jersey-for-20092010-season-revealed/6054

Personally, I am over the moon that we have severed our Umbro ties, and judging by what they have produced for us for 09/10, Le Coq Sportif seems a step in the right direction.

Gregg Ainsworth
18   Posted 22/05/2009 at 00:48:36

I must say I was initially very pleased with the tongue in cheek name and address for the new superstore, - Everton 2- Liverpool 1 - after years of desperately half-hearted and uninspiring marketing.

However we may have once again shot oursleves in the foot. The existing store will be called Everton 1. Given where it is located, that means it is Everton 1, LIVERPOOL 4...!!! We lose over 2 legs - just when we thought we were getting our commercial act together.

Tony Don
19   Posted 24/05/2009 at 02:42:08

The shop should be called "1878"