Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Team of the Season

I was watching Irish TV channel RTE tonight and their version of Match of the Day, called The Premiership. The panel consisted of ex-Leeds legend, Johnny Giles, former Blue Trevor Steven and ex-red, Ronnie Whelan. All three were asked to name their Premier League XI of the season.

Giles selected Tim Howard, Phil Jagielka and Leighton Baines in his eleven. Whelan also selected Jagielka in his side while intrestingly, the resident Blue Trevor Steven, didn't select any Evertonians in his team. Whelan also picked David Moyes as his manager of the season. The three panellists all selected Glen Johnson of Portsmouth at right back, a player who I'd love to see at Goodison next year but who is probably out of our price range after his performances this season.

Good to see pundits who aren't afraid to think outside the Sky4 teams unlike the pundits from Sky and the BBC. not Sure if I'd have picked Timmy Howard myself but Jags and Bainsey were well worth their places after a magnificent season from both of them.
Steve  Flaherty, Ireland     Posted 24/05/2009 at 21:10:20

Comments

Ajay Gopal
1   Posted 25/05/2009 at 16:57:31

My Premiership XI:

Anelka, Torres, Ronaldo, Gerrard, Cahill, Ireland, Johnson, Jagielka, Vidic, Baines, Given

Not so sure about the goal-keeper...
Damian Scott
2   Posted 25/05/2009 at 17:06:32

Yeah, I saw this as well Steve... Great to see players getting noticed on merit rather than reputation.

I was a bit surprised to see Howard in Giles team, but he has had a decent season. Schwarzer at Fulham has been my 'Keeper of the Season though...

Moyes getting a mention as Manager of the Season was nice to see as well.
Colin Ryan
3   Posted 25/05/2009 at 19:02:21

Hard to argue with Johnny Giles(best pundit on tv) but i too thought Trevor Steven would have had an Everton player or 2 in there!As for team of the season im going with the following GK Schwarzer,RB Johnson LB Evra CB Jags CB Vidic RM Ronaldo CM Ireland CM Arteta LM Young AM Gerrard(kills me to put him in) CF Anelka Subs Jaaskelinen Baines Hangeland T Cahill Lampard Rooney Torres!!
Matt Traynor
4   Posted 26/05/2009 at 04:11:05

Trevor Steven is a football agent now. Probably had a few of his own "stable" in there to try to talk up prices!

I think he might represent one or two at Everton though. He?s definitely no Stretford.
Ricardo Humphries
5   Posted 26/05/2009 at 06:50:19

Dream on Colin, Arteta don?t deserve to the best XI... not even the bench.

Have to agree that he's brilliant at times, this time around little Peanut stole his thunder! (And I?m not saying Pienaar should be in the team.)

I can think of about 5 EPL player that really played brilliantly this season... Arteta?s not one of them.