Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

New Kit 2009/10

Not good.

To cheer me up after the FA Cup Final, I decided to look for leaked pictures of the new Everton strips for the 09-10 season that I would be buying asap. And what I found was not what I wanted. Apparently, Le Coq Sportif have become our new kit manufacturer and have created a replica of the 1985 shirt.

Please tell me this isn't true and it is a wind up? What in the world where the staff thinking? This is possibly the worst Everton kit I have ever seen! Even worse than the Grey NEC number in the early 90s.

It is identical to the 85 kit but with Chang on the front and the current badge. The away kit isn't much better! Black with pink stripes but on a more modern looking shirt, with a collor and a v-neck. It is a state.

Why are we looking back in the past? We should be looking to the future and what is instore for the club. I know one of our anthems is "And if you know your History," but are we not just showing that we haven't won nearly enough trophies like what the boys back then did, by reflecting on our best current achievement, 25 years ago? We're moving into the future (new players, stadium, expectations, accompishments) so why are we making are boys in blue wear a kit that was fashionable in the 80s! I can't imagine us coming out against the likes of Chelsea with thier nylon and lycra strip, with tonnes of technology at every seam, in a cotton top the likes of Andy Gray wore when I wasn't even born!

Please tell me this is a joke because it is not funny and they can think again that I am going to buy it. Merchandice sales are going to plummet I tell you.
Sean O'Donnell, North West, England     Posted 31/05/2009 at 19:58:26

Comments

Jason Broome
1   Posted 01/06/2009 at 00:12:50

Sean it is true. The images have been bouncing around for a couple of months now.

At first I was horrified but if we qualify for champions League football next season I wouldn’t care if they wore fishnets and a cape!
Fergal O'Regan
2   Posted 01/06/2009 at 00:13:46

Jesus, it's not that bad... Anyways, it's not about the shirts but who's wearing them.
Barry Scott
3   Posted 01/06/2009 at 00:45:59

Jason, that kit would increase Everton ladies’ attendances tenfold!
Tom Campbell
4   Posted 01/06/2009 at 00:56:29

I like the kit
Mike Ferguson
5   Posted 01/06/2009 at 01:07:23

I like the kit. The design of the kit maybe similar to that of the 1985 season but its going to be made of clever materials that clever little fabric scientists make so that its nice, airy and flexible.

Just because it doesn’t look futuristic doesn’t mean it isn’t clever. I’d rather wear our new kit than Chelsea’s one that looks like Robocop’s shellsuit!
Gareth Humphreys
6   Posted 01/06/2009 at 10:01:53

Blue + Everton badge equals fine by me.
Blair Johnson
7   Posted 01/06/2009 at 10:24:35

I can’t believe the designers couldn’t come up with something more creative - a nod to the past ... ie a stylised collar with a slight triangular motif a la 1985 strip ... would have been a subtle and stylish ’reminder’ but this is just a copy - and the flat bottom on the triangle makes it look like a cravatte ... it all looks a bit camp to me. I haven’t been impressed with many of our kits lately but this is a bad step backwards. Looks like a bad golf jumper.
Anthony Hawkins
8   Posted 01/06/2009 at 10:17:35

I don’t like the new kit and wont be buying it. If we do well in Europe, come Christmas I might be regretting it....

I didn’t buy the current Home kit because it looked very similar to the previous seasons that I had.

If you’re going to design a it MAKE SURE PEOPLE WANT TO WEAR IT!
Ryan Sloan
9   Posted 01/06/2009 at 11:21:57

Sean, have you ever heard of retro? And your point about the early 90s kit, I hope you didn't mean the grey and white striped kit which I thought was quite nice... Anyway I can think of some alright Everton kits with the likes of Barlow and Angell wearing them need... I say more?
simon kirwan
10   Posted 01/06/2009 at 11:55:07

I think the kit is fit! I'm afraid many clubs are adoptiong this retro style as well, including England, United etc.. so you'd better get used to it, Sean!
Dave Thompson
11   Posted 01/06/2009 at 11:58:31

I think it’s great, I probably saw more retro shirts (Hafnia, NEC etc.) down in Wembely than this season’s top.

A few years ago they were thinking of putting the Umbro diamonds all down the sleeves to ’ conjure up images of Latchford and Lyons’. I would have been reminded more of Billy Wright and Imre Varadi, when we were shite. The ’85 kit is fine with me.
Joeynkoo Ludden
12   Posted 01/06/2009 at 12:50:11

Will LCS be doing a pink shirt for the ladies? If they can sort that, thats a huge money spinner.
James Marshall
13   Posted 01/06/2009 at 14:34:08

Who cares? I don't give a toss what the shirts look like, I don't buy them anyway!
Sam Johnston
14   Posted 01/06/2009 at 15:56:14

this is the leak i’ve seen. does anyone know if it’s real?

Neil Coleran
15   Posted 01/06/2009 at 17:09:06

I don’t give a shit what the shirt looks like, as long as it is blue and has the badge on I will buy it. We need to up sales off replica kit to up the revenue for the club.
John Taylor
16   Posted 01/06/2009 at 17:48:59

People would buy a blue bin bag in their thousands if that’s what the team were wearing.

This idea that people won’t like the design and won’t buy it is nonsense. It’s not too bad if the leaked images are to be believed. There are only so many combinations of blue and white that a manufacturer can come up with, for gods sake.

Don’t like it, don’t buy it. Simple as.
Steven Postlethwaite
17   Posted 02/06/2009 at 01:11:08

Who was on the committee that decided that ugly shirt was good enough for our beloved Blues?! It’s a disgrace, and to say the design is irrelevant is naive, just listen to comments of the players in the past of some of the other disasters we’ve had to endure.

Looks like a cheap knock off from some dodgy market stall, and that away kit is basically City’s away shirt but with horizontal stripes...i.e vomit inducing.

Where’s Gok Wan when you need him?
Anthony Hawkins
18   Posted 02/06/2009 at 11:19:42

Looking at the shirt again in the link, it’s not as bad as I remember. Still not sure about the bib part but it’s ok.
Sam Johnston
19   Posted 02/06/2009 at 18:05:15

Looks like the leak was real. Louis Saha has appeared in the new kit: