2019-20MatchesTableFirst TeamU18/U23TransfersNews
Text Size:  A  A  A
EDITOR'S VIEWPOINT

Looking for Everton Fans

By Michael Kenrick :  15/07/2009 :  Comments (14) :
So, Boys & Girls, here is an opportunity for 15 seconds of fame... This is genuine and we do have the contact information. Depending on your responses, one or more will be forwarded to the producer for consideration and from there on out, you're on your own!

Hi there,

I am a freelance TV producer currently working with ESPN, helping to produce their new Premier League idents ahead of the new season and I was wondering if you might be able to help me.

The idea of the channel's new ad campaign is to use real fans in various different environments. Some would feature something as simple as a family of football fans sat on their sofa in their home shirts, while others would feature fans in locations related to the club (a Stoke fan making a Stanley Matthews jug in a local pottery; a West Ham fan on his grocery market stall etc). Some would focus on an eleven year old who has the full Spurs bedroom thing going on (duvet, wallpaper, rug etc), while others would feature a fan whose entire house is decked out in Aston Villa memorabillia. It could even be as simple as just getting a picture of a fan walking down a street, or standing at a bus stop.

As a Everton fan I was wondering if this might be something you'd be interested in taking part in, or whether you know the sort of fans that might be keen to take part?

Do you know of anyone else who you think might be a good fan to follow, or a good location to film at?

Do you know of any families that go en masse to the game every week and transcend the different generations?

Do you know anyone that runs a stall selling Everton merchandise, or a local shop decked out in Everton memorabillia?

Any kids that are Everton mad and have the bedroom to prove it?

Or anyone whose whole house is a shrine to the club? The filming is due to take place in the next two weeks or so and you would not be required to speak - think of it as a poster campaign where we just get shots of fans in certain locations, all with the aim of building up the new season in advance of its kick off.
It would be great to speak to you about this project and to get your thoughts.
Kind regards,

THE PRODUCER

Reader Comments

Mick Pedley
1   Posted 15/07/2009 at 21:23:26

I’d be willing to do it and as my missus is a Liverpool fan (I know, I know!) we could both be in our respective home shirts!
Matthew Lovekin
2   Posted 15/07/2009 at 23:12:08

I am a massive toffees fan who lives 270 miles away and attends games. I have a whole collection of memorablia which annoys the missus, even more so her being a Liverpool fan but slowly turning her into a Bluenose (just got her, her first Everton shirt).

I also have two boys who have been to Goodison and Everton fans, and two daughters who have Everton clothes including my one-year old.
Lee Jamieson
3   Posted 16/07/2009 at 00:08:16

My eight year old son Liam would be ideal. He is as blue blooded as they come and his entire life is dedicated to Everton and football. I had to decorate his room from top to bottom in EFC wallpaper, curtains, lamps,carpet and EFC memorabilia. Liams pride and joy is a ball he purchased at the EFC shop and he waited hours to get it signed by Arteta, Jags and Hibbo. He regularly attends games with me when my shifts allow and he can name every squad player past and present. Last year he was selected to train with the under 8s at Finch Farm and it took weeks to get him back down to earth. Most of all I think he deserves a bit of Everton cheer as he cried his eyes out when we got beat by Chelsea in the final and it broke my heart to see him so upset! Come on Mr Producer you know he would be great.
Gary Sedgwick
4   Posted 16/07/2009 at 03:20:55

Is this limited to fans in the UK? I live in Texas and still own an Umbro shirt with the then sponsor Danka emblazoned on it. Could do a quick shot of me wearing it stood next to the Harlingen, TX expressway bridge holding both the Stars and Stripes and Union Jack flags to show the worldwide appeal of Everton FC...
Jonathan Tasker
5   Posted 16/07/2009 at 08:37:44

Small world indeed; I work in Advertising and am talking to ESPN about trying to carry some of their advertising. There will be a lot more dedictated fans out there than me but good luck to whoever gets the gig in your 15 minutes of fame.
Stuart Downey
6   Posted 16/07/2009 at 08:48:03

Controversial perhaps but I think the Everton and Liverpool ones should be done together, not holding hands skipping down the road, but perhaps back to back and do a 360 with some clever camera work zooming in on the grounds.
Colin Potter
7   Posted 16/07/2009 at 09:17:26

I don’t know how any Evertoian could sit on the couch watching the telly with someone wearing a red shite shirt, I would either walk out or throw her out. It makes my skin crawl thinking of it!! I would have never entertained the thought of going out with a redshite.
Ciarán McGlone
8   Posted 16/07/2009 at 09:26:09

How about RIchard Dodd and Tony Marsh beating the crap out of each other?
Mike Hunter
9   Posted 16/07/2009 at 09:41:24

Ciaran, My money’s on Doddy, he’d tickle him to death... Boom boom!

(Coat donned, I swiftly depart.)
Mark Fisher
10   Posted 16/07/2009 at 10:18:28

Being a family of blues, when my parents moved to Southampton and renovated the new place they incorportaed a stained glass window of the Everton Crest. I know it sounds a little OTT but it looks great.
Steven Pendleton
11   Posted 16/07/2009 at 12:11:57

What about Ciaran saying something positive? I’d like to see that!
Mark Greenhouse
12   Posted 16/07/2009 at 13:12:02

Maybe they could try showing how we are linked in our history to the community i.e. by taking fans to the Prince Rupert Tower on the Brow? Can’t remember seeing too many lions in Chelsea or devils in Salford. It could demonstrate how we our proud of our history and where we come from.

(Whisper it quietly they could even have a shot of the Liver Birds for the RS...)
Eugene Ruane
13   Posted 20/07/2009 at 17:44:04

Wasn’t someone on here talking about his dad or grandad who had followed the blues for 80 years (or...something like that)?Remember the feller who wrote to say he wasn’t too happy with how he’d been treated...

I’d have him standing in outside Goodison (flat hat, mac) and the rolling titles...

"Reg Twonk (or whatever his name is); Age 93
Years of support - 84

Has seen goals scored by:

Dixie Dean
Tommy Lawton.
Dave Hickson.
Alex Young.
Joe Royle.
Bob Latchford.
Graham Sharp.
Duncan Ferguson.
To be continued...

Or something like that... type stuff.

Paul Wharton
14   Posted 20/07/2009 at 19:29:37

Don’t believe in mixed marriages myself. Mr Producer, could you please email me as I would like to speak with you regarding Everton FC / CD Everton (Chile).
Please email me at paulwhartonefc@btinternet.com
Thankyou.