2019-20MatchesTableFirst TeamU18/U23TransfersNews
Text Size:  A  A  A
COLUMNIST KEN BUCKLEY

What do you think of it so far?

By Ken Buckley :  03/08/2009 :  Comments (11) :
July passed with only a couple of young hopefuls coming in amid a myriad of rumours, exclusives and myopic chip shop owners spotting players who were not there.

August has arrived and the only thing we know for certain is that we missed out on a promising right back but the life blood of the transfer window is keeping many a Blue agog and sleepless as every media outlet is scoured for who we might / will sign or indeed who we will lose.

The Lescott saga will produce a plethora of posts to websites offering thoughts on the morality of it all and the burning question, "Will he go or will he stay?" and indeed. "Should he go and pump in a good few millions to the Goodison coffers?" Many of us will ponder and wonder whether we will see a signing at all and, if we do, will it be a promising 17-20-year-old who may make it in the future? Or will we get a pleasant surprise of an established quality player or players ready to hit the ground running and a high finish and success in Europa league a tantalising possibility? Add to this a couple of last-minute loan or Bosman free players and another trip to Wembley twice is on the cards.

We have just two more training games this week then a week’s preparation before the big kick off on the 15th and already we have six first team regulars unfit, three with no chance, two with a good chance and one who we don’t know if he will even be with us. So, a little incoming transfer activity would go some way to calming nerves.

Still, all is not lost as we have from the 15th to the 31st of the month for more media watching, culminating in the midnight ritual in front of ‘Sky Sports News’ to keep us all in a state of anticipation.

The club need to consider that, before deadline day, we will have played five games — two of which will decide whether we take part in the Europa League or not, so the need to make signings in the area the manager has identified becomes acute.

What will really happen? Well, as a fan, I have not a clue except that, by the deadline, Lescott will either be a royal blue or a sky blue, we will have signed players or not, the manager will say ‘we go with what we have got’ and the chairman and board will be either lauded or lambasted.

Looks like another roller coaster is on the cards so let us all hope we have more ups than downs. Another high finish in the league, Goodison rocking on Euro nights and, oh yes, Wembley twice would do me nice.

See you soon.
UP THE BLUES

Reader Comments

Adrian Francis
1   Posted 03/08/2009 at 16:53:06

A number of things struck me yesterday which sums up alot for me

1. The Official Website made a point of saying JL was injured and has also done the same again today, with the line of ’We hope he plays Friday’. Why have they not devoted the same amount of coverage to Pienaar? A PR excercise I think...

2. DM looked like a defeated man throughout the whole game at Coventry. I was sat just behind him and even though it was a friendly I have seen him more animated and interested.

3. BK was also just below me and was really enjoying the day and having a great time, almost like someone who has just won about £20 million on the lottery.

The happiness of these two men could not have been any different!
Keith Glazzard
2   Posted 03/08/2009 at 17:13:51

Lescott going would leave us very exposed at the start of the season, but I don’t think there is too much we can do about it.

I worry about Pienaar too.

Good for the future, but Cahill on the OS lauding Baxter and Wallace gives the impression that more will be expected of them sooner rather than later.

Considering the travel arrangements this week I thought the lads put on a good show at Coventry. Moyes took the chance for a sit down. BK has a new show on in the west end. All things must be taken into account.
Tony Rice
3   Posted 03/08/2009 at 17:48:21

I think we’ve made a mess of it, AGAIN! Last season the summer of inactivity led to a brutal start. This season... we’ve done the same, plus we are without Jags, Arteta,Yak and potentially losing Lescott.

FRUSTRATING!!!!!

I can’t see us maintaining a top 6 place this year.

Anthony Hawkins
4   Posted 03/08/2009 at 18:02:10

Moyes was all over the place for the start of last season which I, like many put down to the on-going contract saga. The same appears to be happening again this season and you have to wonder if it is because Moyes is worried about being able to do a good/better job with the squad because Kenwright has failed to provide funding for improving the squad of players.
Mike Green
5   Posted 03/08/2009 at 18:00:24

Tony - we’ll finish top 6 this year for certain.

I can also guarantee we’ll finish above Man City, Spurs, Villa and "the rest".

It’s 5th for us again - no Wembley but a Europa Cup Final instead.

Shut down your lap tops, turn off the tele, close the paper - thats 2009 - 2010.

Lovely, measured, rational post by the way Ken - a sane man in an insane world.
Brian Waring
6   Posted 03/08/2009 at 18:22:35

Have been in touch with Sky, and they have said that they will let me know when they have sent the cheque out to BK. Will pass on the info when they let me know.
John Martin
7   Posted 03/08/2009 at 19:38:27

Moyes is in a no-lose situation. Everybody knows he’s a good coach; if we at least match or go close to last season's level of performance, he will be praised. If we struggle, BK will rightfully take the blame for not providing Moyes with the money to push us on.
Alan Clarke
8   Posted 03/08/2009 at 19:54:21

I actually think Moyes sounds a lot more positive going into this season compared to last.

Direct recent quote: "There are not many bigger clubs in England than Everton.

"Just because other clubs have owners with a lot of money does that mean they are bigger? Football goes in cycles. I think ours is close to coming around again."

He said: "I am also really ambitious. I will make sure the chairman stays ambitious and the club remains ambitious. We can’t stop.

"The gap is there, but people should be hoping someone breaks in because it would alter the whole dynamics of football.

"If it is going to keep being money, money, money, something is going to go wrong in the future. We have to hang on to the coat-tails of those above.

"Sometimes you have to persevere as a manager. You don’t always have big funds."

I’ve taken this from an article on teamtalk’s website. Moyes doesn’t sound like someone who is utterly pissed off with his situation so I wouldn’t read too much into his body language at the Coventry game.
Marc Williams
9   Posted 03/08/2009 at 22:57:07

Just got back from holiday... on which, my wife banned me from internet cafes, in case news of work or Everton put a downer on proceedings. I’m so glad she did as, having just logged on, it’s another diabolical let-down of a pre-season/transfer window. Last summer was bad enough but this year is an UTTER FUCKING SHAMBLES!

NO ambition, NO depth to the squad & NO hope of progressing.

Well, if they can’t be arsed, I can’t either... so thats 3 new kits & 2 Arsenal tickets I won’t be buying this week.

KENRIGHT OUT!

Rupert Sullivan
10   Posted 04/08/2009 at 09:08:16

Mar, I do agree with you about the shambles thing - but according to the Swiss FA EFC has signed Senderos - no announement anywhere else mind you. Now call me a cynic but I suspect that the club are waiting for a big signing to announce as the ’first’ of the summer, swiftly followed by Senderos in and Lescott out (to pay for the big signing).

Now that is what I call a shambles
John Roberts
11   Posted 04/08/2009 at 16:47:26

shambles!! why do we expect any diferent from billy and his so called board!! BUT WE LIVE IN HOPE!! Mr Elstone WAS PROMISING us they would working tirelessly to help DM strengthen the squad!! and we know whats needed n required !!! well thats before we all renewed our season tickets!! quicker we get the board out the better for us and DM!!