EDITORS BLOG

Job Done by Battling Blues

Slightly better news for Everton on the injury front, with Jack Rodwell named on the bench, returning early from yet another injury, along with Seamus Coleman, also passing a late fitness test David Moyes did not let that prevent the team picking itself from the 11 seniors available, unchanged from last week.

Everton started well and Beckford really should have scored from a glorious early chance but his first-time shot was lacking as the Blues then spent the first five minutes camped outside Blackburn's penalty area. Osman was again dominant as the Blues' best playmaker with a great cross that was sadly away from everyone and too close to the Blackburn goal.  Jagielka got the ball in a lot of space but could not pull the trigger.

Blackburn finally attacked and won a corner in the 12th minutes but Heitinga defended it effectively, but he started limping, clutching his hamstring and yet was able to thwart another attack.  He could not continue and Rodwell got to return much earlier than David Moyes would have liked (otherwise, he would surly have started the game).

From more Blackburn pressure, it seemed to be a good move that saw Bily lay on a great through ball for Beckford but his first touch was all wrong and his bright running into space was completely wasted.  It became a more even if frustratingly bitty midfield game although Magaye Gueye was getting involved with some nice touches down the left, one move giving Bily half a chance but instead of a rocket, he passed it back to Robinson.

Nixon got the first yellow card for persistent fouling of Osman, but Baines followed him for a mistimed tackle on Jones.   Neville was aggressive in challenging Dunn and nearly followed Baines.  Everton did win a corner but nothing came of it until Phil Neville got a chance to score another but he didn't get it right this time.

Blackburn had weathered the early storm and settled into closing Everton down with the lazy floated crosses from both Everton flanks being easily repelled by the giants in the Blackburn defence, any quality on the final ball noticeably absent, allowing the visitors to mount increasingly threatening attacks, while Everton retreated more into their shell, with Osman denied spaced and getting crowded out all too easily.

Osman switched to the right and got a chance to run at the Blackburn defence but his final shot was very poor and what had started so promisingly for the Blues fizzled into a poor half that yielded nothing, although they had mustered six shots to none from Blackburn.

With more of the same after the break, Blackburn's first shot finally came from Dunn and was thankfully off target.  At the other end, Gueye played in Osman but his shot was horribly high.  But Gueye was gaining in confidence and he ended up shooting himself, just over.  Then from a Gueye corner, Baines fired in just wide as the Blues suddenly attacked with more intent and purpose.  Bily was next but his shot came off Jones for a corner./

Gueye took it short this time and Osman drilled the ball through a crowd whence it deflected off Samba and in at the far post to finally give Everton the lead they desperately needed.  Gueye then got a great ball from Osman and should have returned the favour but drove his shot into the side netting.

Everton nemesis Jason Roberts came on for Santa Cruz after the hour mark. For the home side, Baines was linking well with Gueye but Moyes decided the young Frenchman would come off, to a very good Goodison cheer for his sterling efforts, Coleman coming on and immediately running the length of the Blackburn half to shoot on sight.

Things got a little feisty with 20 mins left and Rochina's name went onto Kevin Friend's yellow card. Blackburn came scarily close to breaking through when Distin made a horrible mistake but they could not follow through and Everton attacked again through Baines, Jones diving in on Coleman for a clear penalty.  Leighton Baines had to wait while Beckford got involved needlessly on the edge of the area, but he finally powered it home from the spot to finally given Everton a firm lead.

Everton looked to play a little football but Blackburn were not inclined to back down as a silly mix up in the Everton defence between Jagielka and Baines set it up for Pedersen from 8 yards and incredibly he fluffed it.

Bily laid in a beautiful through-ball that seemed perfect for Beckford to collect at his feet but Emerton denied him on the edge of the area with 10 mins left as Rochina was replaced by Benjani, the final change for Blackburn.

Everton tried to play it forward in a prominsing move but Bily was disappointingly blocked by Salgado when he should have passed to Coleman.

Beckford was really not having a good game, showing all his faults and failings as a Premier League player, with none of his goalscoring qualities on show today, and he was finally pulled off, but that would give Apostolos Vellios again only 5 mins of first-team football.

Baines set up Osman in space for a glorious chance to make it three from the edge of the area but his first-time shot was technically atrocious.   A good cross from Hibbert was met at the far post by Vellios but not headed cleanly and Robinson palmed the bouncing ball past the post.  Rodwell had to foul to halt a Blackburn breakaway and got a yellow card for his troubles.

Poor defending allowed Emerton to get a shot in near the end that Howard needed to save. In the end, it was job well done by the injury-decimated Blues in a potentially tricky fixture against relegation strugglers who had set Everton's season off to such a poor start all those months ago.

Michael Kenrick     Posted 16/04/2011 at

back Return to the Editors Blog

Reader Comments

Matthew Salem
1   Posted 16/04/2011 at 17:19:56

Thank you Michael for what is a usual good (and very quick) summary of the game. I would like to emphasize that Baines' and Distin's mix-up was horrid and this game could have ended in another "amazing draw" had Pedersen not missed that sitter.
Michael Kenrick
2   Posted 16/04/2011 at 17:28:18

Thanks Matthew... these games really are on a knife-edge, which makes the increasingly impressive form all the more astounding. If only...

Where are you these days? My feed on FoxSoccer.tv was crap... think I need to switch from Comcast to DirectTV and get Fox Soccer Plus in HD.

Guess everyone else has been sucked in to watching the Mancs battle it out at Wembley.
Chad Schofield
3   Posted 16/04/2011 at 17:33:19

Forget Wembley... but agree with Matthew's comments. It did look especially towards the end of the first half that it was going to turn into a stagnate attritional match.

Still, Osman's sparkling at the moment!
Colin Potter
4   Posted 16/04/2011 at 17:33:28

Good summary Michael, I thought Osman was MOTM for me. I would have liked to have seen Vellios for about 20 mins though, I think that lad has the makings of a good future ahead of him. Also, I thought the referee was very good today.
Peter Webster
5   Posted 16/04/2011 at 17:32:57

Good game, especially second half. Gueye had a much better game and I was suprised to see him taken off. I'd have taken off Bily, who vanished after showing promise in the first half.

Rodwell showed more than just potential, the apostle St Vellios nearly scored and Coleman was full of energy when he came on.

So much for the kids. Defence were solid with Hibbo standing out for me. Baines good going forward, as you'd expect, but nearly caused a mix up with Jagger the Hoof. Took the penalty well. Distin mostly solid.

Beckford tried hard and I think I heard Moyes praising him at one point, which is a good sign after last week's shout off. Tenacious display by Pip but MotM for me was Ossie, again. I've not been his biggest fan in the past but the last few months have started to change my opinion of him. Utd will be the big test. I'm really pleased for him and Hibbo.

Brian Denton
6   Posted 16/04/2011 at 17:40:57

Just back from the game. Blackburn were appalling, and apart from when we contrived to give them chances by shambolic defending, it was a very comfortable win. Baines was very good, despite the fact that a couple of our players seemed to be determined to get his leg broken with their hospital passes. Gueye was better than last week, and the only slight downer for me was, alas yet again, Bily. It just seems pointless playing him wide. In that position all he can contribute to the team is the odd goal.

Osman was impressive again - made space well and put through some good passes. Between him and Baines for MOTM.
Jon Cox
7   Posted 16/04/2011 at 17:40:51

I enjoyed that Micheal. Fleet street for you!
Michael Kenrick
8   Posted 16/04/2011 at 17:47:04

Osman's play was obviously crucial for the goal, setting up Gueye, and a couple of other moments during the game, but he still frustrates the hell out of me.

Two absolutely awful shots from great opportunities that were miles away from scoring; far too many times when he was brushed off the ball... he typically holds on too long and then abandons possession all too easily. If this is technical excellence.... well, I'm sorry: it's just poor Championship-level football in my book.

But apparently he is "excellent" at the moment, one 'Man of the Match' performance after another (which says more about the rest of the team than it does about him, methinks...) but what do I know?

Chris Bannantyne
9   Posted 16/04/2011 at 17:05:09

I want to see more of Vellios. He appears to have a lot to offer.

Who is this guy wearing the number 21 shirt, and what has he done with Leon Osman?
Dan Brierley
10   Posted 16/04/2011 at 18:02:42

I share the same frustrations with Osman, Michael. But is it fair to label him 'Championship' material on his faults? Surely we have to take into account his overall game performance, which is definitely above Championship level lately.

Had he not stepped up to the plate, we would certainly not be top of the form chart. Osman's performances has helped make us the best team in the land on recent form. But let's see how he plays against United, and see if he can be effective against the top sides. That's where it counts.
Brian Denton
11   Posted 16/04/2011 at 18:09:43

I think you're on a loser today with the anti-Osman, Michael!
Jamie Tulacz
12   Posted 16/04/2011 at 18:08:40

Cheers for the report Michael

Didn't catch the game today but doesn't sound like I missed too much. Another good solid win, in a game we were struggling to put away earlier on this season.

Anyone have any theories on why we always seem to do so well with a threadbare squad at the end of the season, as I'm a bit baffled? For me it's maybe about being able to play well when the pressure's off us.
Sean McKenna
13   Posted 16/04/2011 at 17:59:32

Again well done, Michael, for getting the report up so quick... I think when players play well we credit them and rightly so. On the other hand, when they play shite, we are entilted to slag them off.

In Ossie's case, for me, he has been woeful for seasons, chipping in with the odd goal. I'd still keep him at Everton as a squad player plus the bonus of being a local lad; however, if we want to be challenging for honours, Osman needs to be replaced with proper quality.

At the moment Ossie is playing well, so well done, Ossie lad, for stepping up to the plate ? long may it continue.

Matthew Salem
14   Posted 16/04/2011 at 17:59:21

I like the attitude we are displaying as a team lately. We give the impression of being confident (finally), well-structured (once again with the exception of poor Bily) and care-free, which given that we have little to play for is understandable. We are down to bare bones and yet I like our chances against the Mancs. At the very least we can be a massive pain in the arse to them, maybe even get an "amazing" draw.

Hey Michael. Back for now. Too skint to go back to Britain. My feeds today were horrid,too. All seven of them...
Andy Crooks
15   Posted 16/04/2011 at 18:05:53

Good report, Michael. When one can't get to games it's nice to have a quick Evertonian viewpoint. It is good to get another win but so incredibly fucking annoying that it's too late as usual.

What it suggests to me is that our squad is better than we thought and that thankfully David Moyes has been forced to give some players a chance. This is not an anti-Moyes comment; I'm just glad we are comfortably still in the Premier League. Can anyone explain why our season always follows the same pattern? I just worry that sooner or later our shite start will go on long enough to get us relegated.

Anyway, enough moaning, good win. Last on MotD tonight? Of course.

Alan Clarke
16   Posted 16/04/2011 at 18:14:42

I've been massively anti-Osman in the past especially after that Cup Final but if he hadn't been in our team the last 4 or 5 games we'd be very nervously looking over our shoulder.

Credit where it's due, he's provided some much needed creativity when we've had our big players out. It's a bit harsh to label him 'Championship' just because of a couple of weak shots in a game where he actually managed to score.

Ryan Holroyd
17   Posted 16/04/2011 at 18:06:48

Not a lot to be fair Michael. Osman was very good again as he mostly is when played centrally. One of the only players in our team who tried different things. Yeah he's not absolutely top draw but when I see him and Billy [who cost 10 million] I know who I'd rather have.

Osman is always going to be weak in the tackle Nd is clearly not the strongest. Why the need to bash him time n time n time n time again. Repeye to fade. So he missed a couple of shots. The rest of his play was very good. The lad never hides.

I'm writing this on my iPhone on the way home and everyone at the game said he was the man of the match.

But you carry on slating him when watching on an Internet feed.
Michael Kenrick
18   Posted 16/04/2011 at 18:12:46

I know you're right, Brian. I just think we need a bit of balance from the over-hype that is flying around.

He's described by many with such glowing accolades... wonderful "technical" player, great touch etc... I just don't see it. But I reserve such terms for real quality footballers and he simply does not make that grade. I think what we are seeing is that he is finally performing to the limit of his abilities, which are okay but not that great, to be brutally honest.

And coming as it does after seemingly hundreds of poor under-performances, along with all the usual excuses about being played out of position, playing when injured (that's the one that galls me the most), and whatever other excuses there are... well, people say we have short memories. Not me!
Varun Rajwade
19   Posted 16/04/2011 at 18:19:09

Thanks for a really quick report Michael... The game wasnt shown live in India, and the streams were awful as usual, so your report was a god-send...

but Osman a Championship-level player is a little harsh, specially given the way he has moved into the central role.. I agree he is no great talent - but the fact remains that in the last 5-6 games, he has been involved directly in most of our goals..
Matthew Salem
20   Posted 16/04/2011 at 18:23:17

My view on Osman is that he can blow very hot and cold depending on who we are playing and what is at stake.

He can take the game by the scruff against the Blackburns, Wigans and Fulhams, but clearly goes missing in action when we play the top teams and crunch games. He can turn a game single-handedly and he can be a waste of space the very next. That's how I see Osman.
Brian Denton
21   Posted 16/04/2011 at 18:10:39

Dan,

Just need to scotch this 'Osman can't play v top sides' ? last season, when we beat Man Utd 3-1, he was IMO the best of our players.
Kevin Hudson
22   Posted 16/04/2011 at 18:37:49

It is so pathetic that when Osman plays well and scores, there's a miserly reluctance in some people to simply say he played well - and leave it at that. Instead, they remind us about his bad performances. Maybe they could name a player who has never had a bad game for the club.

Enjoy the 3 points ffs..
Michael Kenrick
23   Posted 16/04/2011 at 18:42:20

Andy (#14) ? "Can anyone explain why our season always follows the same pattern?"

Well, who better to provide the explanation than our esteemed manager:
?We weren?t good enough in the early part of that race so we can?t have any complaints about it.

?In the early part of the season we didn?t have injuries.

?We had most people fit but we just didn?t get the results.

?It is sort of in reverse order because we have lost a lot of key players but we have been able to grind out some results in recent weeks.

?That is hard to weigh up but there is a resilience amongst the players.

?They know what is expected at this football club.

?Ever since I have been here there has always been a bit of being up against it ? whether it be because our neighbours have spent more money or are above us in the league or we are trying to catch somebody to get into a European spot.?

No? I'm none the wiser... and he clearly hasn't got a clue.
Matthew Salem
24   Posted 16/04/2011 at 18:58:57

We had a thread on this last time, but I still don't know the answer. Should City win the FA Cup and finish 5th, does 6th spot qualify for Europa? Anybody know?
Gerry Quinn
25   Posted 16/04/2011 at 18:59:50

From the Blackburn OS, quote:
Rovers dictated the tempo and possession in the first half...

Were they really at the match??? 40% possession and zero shots on or off target. I've heard of biased commentary and reporting, but WTF?

Gerry Quinn
26   Posted 16/04/2011 at 19:02:11

Matthew #23 ? only if your teams name begins and ends in L! Spawn of the devil, don't forget!
Matthew Salem
27   Posted 16/04/2011 at 19:10:35

Gerry,

are you referring to Apollon Limassol? I actually quite like them :(
Michael Kenrick
28   Posted 16/04/2011 at 19:05:27

Gerry, I get the feeling that's exactly what some of our fans want to hear:

Today, in the filtered sunshine of a glorious Goodison Park pleasantly warmed after a creul hard winter, Everton ? the best team in the country at the moment ? were simply imperious, brushing aside the feeble efforts of a doggedly obstinate Blackburn team surely destined for relegation.

A strong result and another clean sheet in this fantastic run of unstoppable form were made possible by the tireless running and lethal predatory skills of their best player, Leon Osman. He was everywhere, pulling the strings in an advanced playmaker role at the heart of a midfield that exerted a stangelhold over Blackburn, ensuring they could not muster even one single shot, either on or off target in a first half where the Osman-inspired Blues did everything but score.

The rewards, however, would come in the second half were Everton would sweep all before them after Osman had a word in Gueye's ear and a training-ground routine from a corner which resulted directly in the first goal. Unleashed from the stunning right foot of Leon Osman, who had brilliantly dodged around a dozey Blackburn defender, a lethal bullet of a shot powered through a crowd of players, flying uneeringly inside the far post to rapturous adulation from every single Evertonian inside the ground, who stood as one to cheer and praise the work of this young local genius.

But Osman was not done yet: under tremendous pressure from those big ugly Blackburn players, he somehow pushed the ball sideways for the inrushing Seamus Coleman, thus creating the most perfect and indisputable penalty, from which Baines scored brilliantly. Why Osman was not given the honour of sealing this fabulous win from the spot, we will never know, but that will not dampen the huge fillip of knowing that Everton are absolutely the best in the country ? thanks to the one and only Leon Osman!!!
Dennis Stevens
29   Posted 16/04/2011 at 19:10:58

Gerry, I think that "Rovers dictated the tempo and possession in the first half" means that they frustrated our efforts to score as long as they could.
Matthew Salem
30   Posted 16/04/2011 at 19:23:46

Jesus wept, I may have wet myself with laughter after reading your "revised" match summary, Michael. You are a funny man.

I'm hoping you that you have not watched Moyes' post match interview on the Beep, where he hails Osman as the difference...
Andy Crooks
31   Posted 16/04/2011 at 19:33:22

Thanks Michael, Mr Moyes has certainly cleared that one up once and for all.
Daniel J Johnson
32   Posted 16/04/2011 at 19:32:00

In a league bereft of technique, Osman is considered gifted and astute. I think it's his lack of pace and strength which lets him down in the main. I also find Osman incredibly frustrating and would struggle to label him as brilliant but hats off to the fella for making such a vital contribution to our Viking-like siege on the European places!

I think it just says a lot about the league he plays in that he's considered "technically superb".
Andrew Presly
33   Posted 16/04/2011 at 19:43:28

Unless we finish above the RS, no Europe. No way. Even if we did I'm sure they'd think of something.

Bet Birmingham hope we manage it as otherwise that's their spot gone to Sir Kenny and the lads. Accounting discrepancies, you see. Sorry Brum, that's the way it goes.

Would like to see Ossie play abroad at some stage but like good ol' Hibbo, he'll probably go down with the Moyes ship.
Richard Dodd
34   Posted 16/04/2011 at 19:37:11

Michael, who wrote that `revised` match report for you? Was it, by any chance, Richard Dodd?
David Price
35   Posted 16/04/2011 at 19:47:16

Michael, great post for #28 but to carry on in the same vein, don't you think you are unfairly harsh on Osman by calling the Blackburn defender lazy instead of praising the effortless skill in creating the scoring opportunity?

Satisfied, people, never some are!

Paul Gladwell
36   Posted 16/04/2011 at 19:54:20

Sick of the shite excuses for Bily, about being played out of position ? Tim Howard ran more ground than him yet again today... Osman has spent his whole Everton career being played out of position ? it is no excuse for looking like he does not give two shits.

Gueye was helping change the game in the second half, he was getting comfortable, gaining confidence and enjoying himself and then gets taken off, not with 10 minutes to go but a good 30 or so minutes left ? I could not believe what I was seeing.

Aiden Doyle
37   Posted 16/04/2011 at 20:07:12

"Useless. Passenger. Waste of space."

My memory's quite good too.
Dave Wilson
38   Posted 16/04/2011 at 20:21:25

Most of our players couldn't beat a fucken egg, but we have one who is now going past players for fun and winning us games... and we still slaughter him.

Let's get the superstars back (Cahill and Arteta ) we came flying out of the traps with all those "magnificent" draws when they were playing...
Martin Berry
39   Posted 16/04/2011 at 20:26:55

Osman had another excellent game. He's not the best player to wear the Royal Blue, but for fucks sake give the lad a break. He's local and a true blue.
Michael Kenrick
40   Posted 16/04/2011 at 20:44:12

Shhh, Richard ? don't let the cat out. My street cred is shot to fuck as it is...

Paul (# ) ? I've tried to hold my tongue regarding Moyes but pulling Gueye off when he did was just utterly bizarre, while leaving both Bily and Beckford on for so long today was just horrible. They were both gash.

And giving Vellios another fabulous 5 minutes at the end... If you think I'm harsh on Osman, just press the button marked "Moyes" and stand back!

Jeff Armstrong
41   Posted 16/04/2011 at 20:29:58

Michael, "what do I know" you have answered your own question, nothing, nothing, nothing, that is why your comments hold no gravity with fans WHO GO THE GAME ? not watch on a p.c feed, Osman was eveywhere today, even in places not picked up by cameras, it's called off-the-ball work.

I appreciate you do a great service on TW one way or another, but your continual attacks on Osman are a joke for someone who watches about 30% of a match experience, but has a 100%opinion of one players performance.

You need to evaluate what you are saying, with what you are actually seeing.

Richard Dodd
42   Posted 16/04/2011 at 20:41:54

Let`s face it, Osman, Hibbert and Neville have been the key figures in `The Great Everton Revival` but do they gain universal praise? Not a bit of it. I`m beginning to think some Evertonians get more pleasure from moaning when we lose!
Paul Rimmer
43   Posted 16/04/2011 at 20:40:33

I thought all the 'local' players did well today. Rodwell was impressive returning from injury. Hibbo was solid and Osman continues his fine form.
Dave Wilson
44   Posted 16/04/2011 at 20:55:03

Paul Rimmer

Post of the day mate - award yourself a large drink
Nick Taylor
45   Posted 16/04/2011 at 20:40:40

Blackburn where appalling today with both the team and the fans treating it like a end-of-season game with nothing at stake. I think they will rue the decision to get rid of big Sam.

As for us, the run goes on in no small part due to Osman's contribution which again was superb.

David Crowe
46   Posted 16/04/2011 at 20:45:40

Osman is on fire at the moment. Everyone was singing his praises in the ground once again. Although his shooting (apart from the odd belter) leaves much to be desired, he put so much effort in for us, is a quality player at times, and is a model pro. He has simply carried us through this injury crisis and if he'd been like this for a few months longer this year, I'd have him down as a close second to Baines for Player of the Season.

Beckford seems to be frustrated at the moment. He seems to get really defensive when his team mates tell him he's done something wrong, which shows a lack of respect. I hope to God it won't turn into anything too serious in the future because I do like him as a player.

Good result today, puts pressure on the reds tomorrow and United looks set to be an opportunity after watching their appalling display in the second half against City.

Michael Kenrick
47   Posted 16/04/2011 at 21:02:05

Err.. Richard, we didn't lose.... we won today. But I guess that's your point. In which case, don't read anything other than post #28. That's all you need to know about the game: Osman was brilliant and we won handsomely.

Meanwhile, others may indulge in a bit of post-match analysis...

Jeff (#41) ? while off-the-ball work can contribute to the play, I have this blinkered view (perhaps garnered from only watching TV feeds these days) that what you do with the ball is actually more important to the outcome of the game.

It's probably a good subject for another thread, but I don't actually believe that going to the game gives you a better impression of the way the team or the individual players actually performed. What I think you do get, that the armchair fan can never have, is a feel for the real atmosphere at the game. That atmosphere can include the crowd getting behind a player, which enhances his perceived contribution, as well as the crowd turning on a player, which diminishes his perceived contribution.

A lot of attending the match is about perception; what you see on the TV feed is cold hard reality. Especially in those replays that most match-going fans are denied.
Paul Foster
48   Posted 16/04/2011 at 21:17:54

I absolutely love watching Leon Osman play ? as do the vast majority of my match-going mates. His touch really is sublime ? just watch the ball stick to his feet when it's pinged him. Actually, that doesn't do him justice ? I love how his first touch (like today) always seems to buy him some space. He always gets goals, his reading of the game is excellent and his workrate is always high. Admittedly, his main weakness is his strength ? and that does mean he's occasionally brushed off the ball ? which is what seems to frustrate Michael.

Everybody's entitled to their opinion ? and this is mine. He's far from world-class but he's a cracking player who, in my opinion, deserves some respect ? not constant criticism.

Little tribute to the lad here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUjLg5AIjQQ
James Martin
49   Posted 16/04/2011 at 21:11:11

Yet more ridiculous Osman bashing, he's done more in this run of games than Arteta and Fellaini did all season.

Alright, so he's not as good as Iniesta or whoever in terms of technical excellence but, after the rubbish we've witness this season of endless sideways passing or hoofball, it's a breath of fresh air to see the lad actually get on the ball and doing crazy absurd adventurous stuff with it... like running towards the goal, putting a cross in that doesn't trouble low flying planes ? god forbid, even having a shot.

Ah yeah but some 6 foot 5 hulk of a player who was outclassed by Leon the majority of the game managed to knock him off the ball now and then; yeah, actually he's rubbish.

Martin Mason
50   Posted 16/04/2011 at 21:15:46

It would be very easy to say that we do well at the end of seasons with a massive injury list because Moyes can do less damage with his bizarre selection and substitutions when he has no choice. It'd be easy to say that Arteta, Rodwell and Fellaini aren't our best midfield players and should be sold for transfer funds because we inevitably do better when they aren't in the team. It'd be easy to say that Timmy in non scoring mode is a luxury we can't afford and it'd be easy to say that Osman was always a great little player just waiting for the chance to show it in his strongest position. It'd be easy to say that the likes of Neville, Hibbert and Osman are the salt of the Everton earth because when called on they step up to the plate and do the business. It'd be easy to say that Bily is the biggest waste of space that anybody ever spent real money on, Obviously ridiculous of course, just easy to say based on what happens in the real world.

A very good win again today and a little run of results by the mongrels that United and Chelsea would have loved to produce. We're on a hiding to nothing next week but I've never wanted more for us to produce a good performance at least. It's 3 million a year net versus 30 million each for just 3 players. I for one am very proud that we can get even close to competing at the same level even with all of our faults.
Colin Malone
51   Posted 16/04/2011 at 21:49:14

I and many told you so: Ossie is not a winger.

Further more, Bily, is not a winger.
Gavin Ramejkis
52   Posted 16/04/2011 at 21:45:44

Blackburn were garbage today and came looking for a draw, the ref was shite and gave us very little but just loved to stop the game for nonsense. The linesman in front of the main stand gave Everton fuck all but appeared blind to a number of blatant pushes, two good goals and very amusing sat in the Park End for the pen with everyone shouting for Tony Hibbert to take it.

I met the "superheroes" sat above the away fans after the game, a bunch of guys down from Scotland who bought tickets for the game but not Evertonians ? if you didn't see them watch MoTD they've got to be on there, got two great pics of them too.
Michael Kenrick
53   Posted 16/04/2011 at 22:04:36

Gavin, they showed them on our feed... pretty hilarious.

They were sat behind a couple of Everton fans so the comms assumed they were Blues, but they did look proper daft. Send us one of your pics and I'll stick it in here.
Tim O'Connell
54   Posted 16/04/2011 at 21:49:15

Well done Ossie again! Next week will be a real test but what I have had confirmed the last 7 matches is that Ossie is at his best when he has to take responsibility and many times in the past by playing a very rigid wide role letting Mikey and Co taking responsibility ends with Ossie doing a job and no more and getting a lot of fan stick.

Also, in the past, Mikey has proven that he can do very well wide. So I hope that, if we have learnt anything, they should swap roles and, if during a game it is not working, then swap then. We see many times wide men swapping flanks so why on earth can't the playmaker and a wide man swap roles? Hopefully the last 7 games will make Ossie realise that he can be the 'creator' and things will evolve from here.

Gavin Ramejkis
55   Posted 16/04/2011 at 22:23:11

Have emailed you one to the feedback email addy:

Superheroes at Blackburn game

Gavin Ramejkis
56   Posted 16/04/2011 at 23:34:09

Bastards, MotD didn't even mention or show the superheroes.
Phil Bellis
57   Posted 17/04/2011 at 11:40:12

Michael, the cameras don't always catch the things that contribute to the, as you say, perception of a match and show fans the level of team individual's committment and team spirit. Some examples:
  • Michael Ball tapping his temple and telling his older team-mates to concentrate in the relegation game
  • Dave Watson kindly sportingly picking up Owen and quietly remarking "cut it out, you cheating bastard"
  • Jags doing his "calm down, calm down" to a very angry Tony Hibbert
As for liitle Leon, what if? say he played in a Everton team where he was protected by Reid and Bracewell. Would his skills then have been more evident and his failings less exposed? (Yea, I know, would he have got near that first team?)

You were spot on about the weather ? beautiful warm sunshine in the Lower Gwladys.

Tony J Williams
58   Posted 17/04/2011 at 13:31:13

Cheers for that Paul, 48 Some cracking goals by Ossie there. Could watch that one against Larrissa (?) all day
Mike Gwyer
59   Posted 17/04/2011 at 13:43:57

Phil #57.

Happy days:- Steven, Reid, Bracewell & Sheedy, and I'm afraid your correct in thinking that Osman would not have broken into that midfield. But hey, the boy gives everything and I've noticed that in the last few games he dragging more effort out some players.

Shame though, GP was like a morgue yesterday, even after the goals.
Paul Gladwell
60   Posted 17/04/2011 at 15:30:06

I have to say there is a big difference of opinion on this website with the views of match going blues and internet blues, Leon Osman has been the main reason we did not get involved in a relegation scrap and every pub goer down County Road yesterday will agree.
Jeff Armstrong
61   Posted 17/04/2011 at 20:04:56

Paul#60, agreed, whilst not wanting to allienate non match going blues, 100s of reasons not to be able to get to games, You would be hard pressed to find an Evertonian inside Goodison yesterday to moan about Osman or indeed Hibbert and Nevilles performances.
I don't get to away games these day's and I know I am only seeing half the game when watching on T.V or the interweb.
John Maxwell
62   Posted 18/04/2011 at 04:04:04

Michael Kenrick, just to clear up the perspective issue between being at the game or watching on TV/PC.

How big is your screen?
Michael Kenrick
63   Posted 18/04/2011 at 18:29:43

Big enough, methinks... Why?

One's bigger than the other... or is this where we get our dicks out and compare?

More important is the quality of the picture/feed.

HD, then standard TV... then PC Fox feed. And sometimes (rarely these days)... nada!