EDITORS BLOG

EvertonTV for free

This story caught my eye on the Official Everton Website:

A Change Is Coming
So EvertonTV, which was bringing in around £40/year from each subscriber, is to become free for registered subscribers.

But here's the kicker: live games (ie, pre-season friendlies and maybe some reserves games) are to become pay-per-view.

I'm assuming this ranks as a sensible marketing move... but I'm no genius in that area. Are you more likely to watch and pay for individual games at say £4.99 (I'm guessing)...? Or would you happily shell out £40 each year and use it as and when...?

I've been in that latter category since it was a made available. But I guess there may not be too many like me. And I have been using it less and less.

Now what would I do if they provided guaranteed HD quality video of senior games through the season as pay-per-view? Is that perhaps where we are headed? (I'm thinking primarily of the overseas market here...) Or will the clubs make less individually than they do from the current foreign TV deal?
Michael Kenrick     Posted 02/06/2011 at

back Return to the Editors Blog

Reader Comments

Chris Bannantyne
1   Posted 02/06/2011 at 18:08:34

Yeah, I got an email from the club telling me about this. I have to say that generally speaking I have been a bit disappointed with the EvertonTV service. It's good to watch the preseason games, and highlights but that's about it.

In Australia the Fox Sports tv channels generally play every single EPL match live, so there is normally speaking no real need for me to view the games via a web service. However, maybe 2-3 times a season, Fox stuff up and fail to televise Everton games. (Probably the same with other clubs, but obviously I don't notice.) On those occasions it would be excellent to be able to access HD streams of the games live on evertontv, something I would certainly pay for.

If they did this (if only for overseas viewers so as not to disrupt attendance) I believe it could be more profitable.

Also, if they could offer some other interesting viewing, rather than their crappy 5 minute interviews with Distin and Anichebe where they talk about who is best at FIFA 11, then that would be great.

A live broadcast of a supporters q&a session with Elstone and Kenwright would surely get some viewing.
Gerry Quinn
2   Posted 02/06/2011 at 18:30:06

I was thinking along similar lines myself, Michael.

I watch (nee suffer) for diddly-squat on Iraqi/Hungarian/Swahili Internet sites - do I really need to pay 5 quid to watch us getting tonked by some crappy bottom of the table team.

Next thing TW will be charging us to pass our comments on the Match Day Forum - aaaaaaaaaaagh, why did I give you that hint!
Chris Bannantyne
3   Posted 02/06/2011 at 18:32:44

Oh I forgot to add, the early rounds of the Carling and FA cups, as well as the Europa league (and maybe even the first couple rounds of the Champions League) are not guaranteed live on tv here. So they would be picking up their £5 (or whatever) per game from me, for as long as the games aren't televised and we remain in the relevant competition.

Potentially, if they did this, they could get far more out of me then just £40 a season.
David Barks
4   Posted 02/06/2011 at 19:46:18

If it's going free, I'll re-register. And honestly I'd love to be able to buy individual games as wanted. I'm guessing that they are looking at the possibility of bringing in many more viewers by offering it for free, and thus being able to sell more advertising and at a greater price due to increased page/video views. A smart move in my eyes.
Dennis Stevens
5   Posted 02/06/2011 at 20:05:28

I subscribe but rarely use it - I really don't know whether the new arrangement will make me any more likely to use the service. Perhaps it's not the service but the quality of the product ...?
Robin Hunuki
6   Posted 02/06/2011 at 22:01:32

Chris, I'm definitely in the same boat as you over here in Australia (Sydney).

have given up the highlights of Sydney's finest Kings Cross (strip joints, the continuous brawls and x amount of fine ladies out n about!) to eagerly stay in and watch the Toffee's play on a Saturday night/ Sunday morning (probably because I have a missus but anyway...).

I for one would definitely be keen on watching the Everton games online if Foxsports were to fail and show an average game i.e. Stoke v West Brom (definitely does not interest me one bit); if it were to cost more, again - I'm 100% all for it.

As I've read in many, many articles of new supporters joining the club - it's the Everton bug. Once you've been bitten by it, you're a supporter through and through... and unfortunately I had been BITTEN F**KING bloody hard over here in Sydney!

Also to make matters worse, I'm only 21!
Eric Myles
7   Posted 03/06/2011 at 02:15:11

I subscribed when I was in Korea as the telly there only showed EPL games with Korean players in the team.
I primarily downloaded highlights of the games but there were some download issues that the technical support couldn't resolve so gave it up after the first season.
Now I live where I can get most of our games a season and if I want to download highlights there's plenty of free websites to access them from.
James I'Anson
8   Posted 03/06/2011 at 09:11:29

It will happen when the "big" clubs start to fall behind. Once Utd cannot compete with City and there is no way around the new rules which state that you have to live within your means, they will be looking to sell their own TV rights.

Imagine the implications of this. Once the desire is there then it will be inevitable. Whatever it takes to keep the elite at the top will happen. If this eventually transpires, i imagine Sky will be in the thick of it.

Robert Workman
9   Posted 03/06/2011 at 12:14:33

Having been a subscriber for a few years, I can recommend this service. The best feature is 20-minute highlights of each match. They are also streaming live some of the pre-season friendlies.
Tony J Williams
10   Posted 03/06/2011 at 12:13:40

With the appearance of Football First for the UK fans, I imagine their subscriptions fell.

I used to get it but there is only so much banal interviews I can sit through to justify paying £40 a season.

The preseason games were ok but I doubt many will pay a pay per view for it.
Brian Waring
11   Posted 03/06/2011 at 13:40:37

Why pay for games, when you can come onto the live forum here on matchdays, and find numerous links to sites were you can watch for free?
Ernie Baywood
12   Posted 03/06/2011 at 14:41:58

I subscribed on a monthly rate pre-season so I could watch all the pre-season games and haven't watched the thing once since.

Thank fk they're going to stop charging as I could never be arsed to cancel it.

Presumably they just don't have many subscribers to the site and think that in making it free they will benefit from increased traffic, increased ad money, increased exposure.

I'll probably pay for the pre-season games again so I can get my hopes up. As mentioned above, in the proper season overseas pay-TV providers show practically all the 3pm kickoffs nowadays anyway so internet streaming (legal, official) won't take off. People on the net just don't pay the recommended retail price.
Peter Fearon
13   Posted 04/06/2011 at 19:49:52

It's a great idea. When I am away from Liverpool, which is a lot of the time, I try to watch on rojadirecta or iraqgoals.com. if the game isn't on Fox or ESPN. I think the CIA shut down iraqgoals and rojadirecta.es has fewer and fewer usable links. I also feel guilty that I am not contributing to a club badly in need of money ( right. like, I'm not!) I would much prefer to pay the money for Everton TV on a pay per view basis. I once wrote to the club - this is pre Kenwright - and told them they could creat a "virtual Goodison" on the Internet and more than double the gate. Their response was, "Yeah...interesting...Keep taking the medication."
Albert Perkins
14   Posted 04/06/2011 at 20:43:42

I would also pay EFC to watch the games even though I can see them for free online in the USA. It would be my contribution to my football club.

Right now I get games online @:
socceronline
timesoccer (this has dozens of links)
ATDHE
stream2watch
and I can even get MOTD on freesoccerhighlights (if you can stand the commentary).
These links are not seamless, so I'm usually logged on to more than one at a time in case one shuts down.
I can usually get the commentary in English, but sometimes it's even more interesting in Spanish or Romanian.
Just watched the England Switzerland game. Was only interested when Baines was on the ball. Nice chest down for the equalizer. They are letting him more into the game and he could settle in if he gets the chance.
Dave Wilson
15   Posted 08/06/2011 at 12:01:21

Brian #11

I think the assumption is that some people (Albert #14) actually want to contribute something to the club they support
Tim Spring
16   Posted 08/06/2011 at 12:20:20

I subscribed last year because I thought we might get some decent coverage of the pre season games, see the new signings (sigh) in action and then have the highlights on demand as and when I wanted them.

For £40 a year I wasn't impressed as the level of service provided was pretty poor. Don'tg get me wrong, I want to contribute to the club as much as I can, with shirts, going to games etc but Everton need to realise that to make money on stuff outside of just football, they need to do it properly. For the EvertonTV service this would be so much better if it covered any of the following;
- Pre/ post game interviews that actually provide us with information we care about (not Steve Round dribblng over Anichebe, or who plays Tiger Woods Golf on the team bus).
- The highlights had any sort of decent commentary
- The interface looked, worked professionally.
- The quality didn't look like a 5 year old had drawn the players.
It's great that they have made it free now but I just think that means they will spend no effort improving it.

Philip Guy
17   Posted 10/06/2011 at 04:20:34

It would be great to be able to pay for each game, something I would be prepared to do. Every game should be available. Being in New Zealand with the time difference being able to watch without the dreaded 'your channel is down, refresh etc'.... how many time have I stayed up until 4am and only watched half the game? too many.
James Hollister
18   Posted 13/06/2011 at 11:19:39

why pay at all when you can use online streaming..its just a case of knowing where and when the stream becomes available on match day, and that goes for most all of the friendlies.

ESPN fucked up last preseason when they where supposed to be airing one of Everton's preseason games down under..there was a huge dispute with one of the broadcasters and some how ESPN on of the world leaders in sports lost the match 0.o

Anyways, the only match thus far possibly worth watching is against Villeral but having said that, it's probably better to get ya arses down to goodison to watch it lol
James Hollister
19   Posted 13/06/2011 at 11:22:57

Philip Guy - You would not get live premier league games from that service..but if you know where to look online, practically every match everton play is available on match day.