Squad for Australia

So it's nearly time for action again in the pre-season, and the squad who travelled to Australia ahead of the three friendlies there has been revealed.

Travelling squad: Iain Turner, John Ruddy, Carlo Nash, Tony Hibbert, Seamus Coleman, Phil Neville, Sylvain Distin, Phil Jagielka, Leighton Baines, Shokdran Mustafi, Leon Osman, Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, Jack Rodwell, Mikel Arteta, Jose Baxter, Magaye Gueye, Louis Saha, Jermaine Beckford, James Vaughan, Victor Anichebe, Joao Silva, Lukas Jutkiewicz.

Tim Cahill will link up with the squad in Australia after a short break, and the other world cup players (Howard, Heitinga, Yobo, Yakubu, Pienaar, Mucha) will skip the Aussie leg of pre-season. Gosling and Fellaini stay behind for treatment on their long-term injuries.
Richard Porter, Warrington     Posted 02/07/2010 at 13:42:54

Comments

Thor Sørensen
1   Posted 02/07/2010 at 15:12:40

I hope Ruddy will get the chance to impress, as I don't see any long-term futures at the club for Turner or Nash.

Distin and Jagielka as our only out and out centre halves. I don't expect them to play the full ninety minutes of every game down under, and when they don't I hope Mustafi gets some playing time as well as Rodwell getting some more experience as a defender at this level, rather than Moyes opting for Phil Neville playing there.
Allan Barratt
2   Posted 02/07/2010 at 15:28:08

Ruddy has no player profile on the official site, it lists 4 keepers (Mucha, Howard, Nash & Turner) and he's not one.
Are these games being shown anywhere??
Karl Jones
3   Posted 02/07/2010 at 15:28:50

Can't understand why Arteta has gone if he wants away. As Dave Prentice says in todays Echo. He wants out..Its not about money or (according to BK) his babys health... He just wants to move on. That means he's not open to persuasion. Transfer list him; otherwise, it's Lescott all over again.

We have to learn from last season and sell to the highest bidder ASAP, otherwise another wasted season awaits.
Ian Tod
4   Posted 02/07/2010 at 15:51:52

I thought Nash was out of contract?
Ian McDowell
5   Posted 02/07/2010 at 15:47:49

I haven't read the Echo today, but I just hope we get Pienaar's and Arteta's future sorted soon.
Tony J Williams
6   Posted 02/07/2010 at 16:54:34

No Duffy? Strange
Richard Porter
7   Posted 02/07/2010 at 17:40:02

Tony (7): Duffy is recovering from a very serious life-threatening injury that he suffered on irish international duty. His surgeon says he will be able to play this season, but not for a few months yet

Allan (2): Ruddy does have a profile on the website- look under Reserves rather than first team and you'll find him

Alex Kociuba
8   Posted 02/07/2010 at 17:53:28

Nash will be 37 not long after the start of the season and his current contract has expired? Seems odd, maybe he does some coaching?
Karl Jones
9   Posted 02/07/2010 at 18:12:01

Matty..I'd be gutted if he went, but Lescott went a long way to the US last season and still left. AJ the year before.
When a player decides to move these days they go. Hope I'm wrong.
Mike Allison
10   Posted 02/07/2010 at 18:22:29

Where is the story about Arteta wanting to leave? I can't find it online.
Conor Waters
11   Posted 02/07/2010 at 18:41:36

Tony (#6), surely we can cut Duffy some slack ? he nearly died on the training pitch after colliding with a keeper in a warm-up match in Dublin. Football is probably not the first thing on his list since that, he'll need a year I reckon before he'll be back to full strength, physically and more importantly, mentally.

I would say the squad looks very weak in central midfield. But these initial pre-season games are rarely anything to judge by. It's not so long ago that we were getting beaten by amateur sides in the states or by lower league opposition. Simply a chance for players to get back to full fitness. I'm lucky enough to be passing through Brisbane in mid-July so have bought my tickets in the Everton end already!
David Hallwood
12   Posted 02/07/2010 at 20:16:09

Arteta's contract isn't up til 2012, surely DM should get one more season out of him and then if he wants out fair enough.
Brendan O'Doherty
13   Posted 02/07/2010 at 20:55:19

Karl (#3) - I can't see this Dave Prentice story in today's echo about Arteta wanting to leave. Where is it?
Graham Broyd
14   Posted 02/07/2010 at 21:55:07

I saw our travelling squad list of players gone to Australia for 3 weeks. It included one Mikel Arteta. Does that sound like the activity of someone who has to be back in Spain with his partially sighted young child as an absolute life priority?

I think he may be staying.....

Tony J Williams
15   Posted 02/07/2010 at 23:28:45

Doh! Sorry lads forgot about that, I was just confused as why we were short on centre halves.
Rahman Talib
16   Posted 03/07/2010 at 09:46:24

Perhaps Carlo Nash can go back to Male Modelling?

I thought that was his second career?
Richard Porter
17   Posted 03/07/2010 at 12:25:58

Rahman (16): I thought his second career was travel photography?
Tomas Pym
18   Posted 04/07/2010 at 06:16:25

Does anyone know where in Sydney Everton will be training? And what time?
Ryan Rosenberg
19   Posted 05/07/2010 at 08:11:34

More importantly does anyone have details about where we're training in Melbourne? Also, a couple of days ago the rumour mill said we were linked with Terry Antonis, the aussie boy. Today he signed with Sydney FC and the coach said he is likely going to play against us.
Tony Melvyn
20   Posted 27/07/2010 at 14:25:55

With some of our rivals talking about a 'dilemma' on selecting their best 25 for the registration, I wonder who the 25 will be in Moye's form on 1st September:

GK Tim Howard, Jan Mucha, Ian Turner

Def - Hibbert, Baines, Coleman, Distin, Yobo, Jagielka, Heitinga, Neville

MF - Fellaini, Cahill, Pienaar, Arteta, Rodwell, Osman, Bily, Gueye

FD - Saha, Beckford, Vaughan, Yakubu, Anichebe, Joao Silva

Not too difficult for us I think!