Coincidence or what?

If Holland go on to win the World Cup? ... What a coincidence with 1966. When England beat Germany, the winners had a player from both Everton and Liverpool... A blonde forward, and a bald defender.

So, without putting the mockers on Holland, can Kuyt & Heitinga, do what Hunt & Wilson did all those years ago?
Norman Merrill, Everton, Liverpool     Posted 02/07/2010 at 17:01:56

Comments

James Stewart
1   Posted 02/07/2010 at 17:19:58

No chance. Holland are average at best. Grafters but a poor team.
Tony J Williams
2   Posted 02/07/2010 at 17:28:46

"Grafters but a poor team". Seriously?
Mike Allison
3   Posted 02/07/2010 at 17:27:48

I actually predicted, before the tournament, that Holland would beat Brazil 2-1 in the Quarter Final. All I need now is for England to beat France 2-1 tonight and I'll look like a genius...
Karl Masters
4   Posted 02/07/2010 at 17:41:54

Holland have shown England how it should be done - yet again.

Good on ya Holland.

Better than our bunch of mealy mouthed tosspots. I see Gerrard and Rooney have both pulled out of the Skills thing at the O2 later this month disappointing thousands of kids who have already bought tickets. And before anybody says they are too tired etc, they happily signed up for it didn't they. Another fat pay day for doing sod all, but now they realise we don't think they are perfect any more they can't be arsed. Wankers the lot of them.
Brendan O'Doherty
5   Posted 02/07/2010 at 17:52:05

Doubt it. They will have to stop kicking people first. The skills of Spain or Argentina would probably be too much for them.
Alex Kociuba
6   Posted 02/07/2010 at 17:53:24

lol Mike
Richard Porter
7   Posted 02/07/2010 at 17:55:36

Wasn't "kicking people" a major element of the Italian tactics that won the last World Cup?
James Stewart
8   Posted 02/07/2010 at 18:11:56

Yes seriously. Players like Kuyt work hard but have very little quality or imagination when on the ball. Sneider the obvious exception. Not a great team to watch by any stretch of the imagination when compared with previous Dutch teams with the likes of Bergkamp, Davids, Overmars, Kluivert, Seedorf etc
Gavin Ramejkis
9   Posted 02/07/2010 at 19:30:36

As much as I like Johnny H, I'd hate to see that Dirk Kunt aka Sloth from the Goonies swanning around with a World Cup winner's medal
Brendan O'Doherty
10   Posted 02/07/2010 at 19:58:53

Not really Richard. It was their outstanding defence that won it for them as far as I can remember.
Ste Traverse
11   Posted 02/07/2010 at 20:25:05

Hopefully the Dutch can win it and Heitinga plays well so it boosts his value when we get rid of him soon.

I for one haven't forgotten the gobshites comments last month.
Nick Broadhurst
12   Posted 02/07/2010 at 21:06:42

Oh dear... taxi for Ste Traverse!
Dean Smith
13   Posted 02/07/2010 at 21:22:43

Post Removed
Ste Traverse
14   Posted 02/07/2010 at 21:56:33

So you 2 above are happy when an EVERTON player PUBLICLY talks about moving across the park? Or cycling with a flag all the way to Barcelona?

His sights are set elsewere so get him out the club,pronto.
Dean Smith
15   Posted 02/07/2010 at 22:08:34

Post Removed
Ste Traverse
16   Posted 02/07/2010 at 22:18:32

Yes he's ambitious and we are not an ambitious club under this joke of a chairman,but you don't come out and talk about wanting a move to your clubs local rivals whoever you are. It pissed me off. Get rid.
Ste Traverse
17   Posted 02/07/2010 at 22:21:35

Oh and I shouldn't forget about him talking about going to Man City, another club we don't like
Chris Kennedy
18   Posted 02/07/2010 at 22:46:03

Ste too true. Ambitious any player who goes to city has non. One bad game and they will spend another 30m to get a replacement.MONEY MONEY MONEY. Johnny can run and jump.. All you johhny lovers i will eat my words if, After a posible world cup win he commits to Everton... ( I don't think so) he's gone... COYB..
Paul Dewhurst
19   Posted 03/07/2010 at 00:18:02

I want to write "Or What" but got the crazy Dutch bastards in the office sweep stake so hoping "Coincidence"
BJ Farrimond
20   Posted 03/07/2010 at 00:55:30

If you went away last season you would hear the words "Johnny, Johnny, Johnny Heitinga, he gives his best and his best is Good." Don't listen to the papers.
Erik Dols
21   Posted 03/07/2010 at 08:49:23

He said he will NOT join the red side. How hard is it to read?
Ste Traverse
22   Posted 03/07/2010 at 11:47:42

Where did he say he will NOT join the reds? His comments were 'joining another English club would be nice, there's a small chance it could be Liverpool' and it's not like he's denied it since. How hard was that to read?
Nick Broadhurst
23   Posted 03/07/2010 at 17:00:34

@Ste Traverse

It was established a while ago now that particular interview was mistranslated and (deliberately) taken out of context.

Think before you speak, lad.
Ste Traverse
24   Posted 03/07/2010 at 17:03:48

Mistranslated my arse. I've not heard him denying he said it. Barcelona, Man City AND LIverpool. So you think he was 'mistranslated' on all 3 three occasions?

Bollocks.
Nick Broadhurst
25   Posted 03/07/2010 at 17:11:00

Our Dutch Toffeeweb'ers clarified it mate - i'd take their word over anyone elses on the matter. He said he WOULDN'T join Liverpool, established Barca as one of the best teams in the world and would be lucky to go there, and made a passing comment about City's newfound money = ambition mentallity.

Why do you have such a huge chip on your shoulder?!
Ste Traverse
26   Posted 03/07/2010 at 17:34:55

Why are you such a sad apologist?
Michael Kenrick
27   Posted 03/07/2010 at 18:41:46

For God's sake, Ste, I thought this Heitinga nonsense had been knocked on the head.

There should be a personal rule for all Evertonians: "Lost in Translation: Do Not Believe Any Player's Comments Published in Other Languages than English... and Especially In Their Native Country".
Stewart Littler
28   Posted 03/07/2010 at 19:02:48

Football fans really are silly, aren't we? Here, we've got a geezer who allegedly took a pay cut (in real cash terms) to come and play for us, and is on a 3- or 4-year contract, and some fuckabout journalist has managed to convince some to get shut when he was one of our better players in the season just gone. Arteta, meanwhile, has 2 years on his contract, and yet still has to come out and 'commit'. Like that'd make any fucking difference!

And to add MK, I thought the use of the degrading term 'apologist' had been banned at TW towers? (post 26)
Stewart Littler
29   Posted 03/07/2010 at 19:08:15

And James, of your list: Bergkamp, Davids, Overmars, Kluivert, Seedorf: I'd take Van Persie, Robben and Sneider over Overmars, Kluivert and Seedorf any day of the week. I'll let you have Bergkamp and Davids, but to say they're an average team, when they're odds on to reach the final is a little bit wide of the mark. And that young lad they bring on from the bench looks top drawer. They could well win it!
Ian McDowell
30   Posted 03/07/2010 at 21:13:48

I fully agree with Stewart Littler, I love hearing pundits spouting off about how poor Holland are at the back when England line up with Terry and Upson.
Mike Allison
31   Posted 03/07/2010 at 22:00:57

Anyway, in a further addition to my 'I'm a genius I should be in charge of football' campaign, I kept telling everybody that Felipe Melo's 'own goal' was actually Sneijder's goal, and they've now officially credited him with it. I'm surprised so many people put it down as an own goal in the first place, it was very obvious that had no-one touched it it was going in the net. Effectively it was a (very mildly) deflected shot.

I did genuinely predict Germany beating Argentina in the Quarter Finals too, although I was a bit conservative and only said 1-0.

I looked up the 'Everton World Cup players' section on Wikipedia the other day, Ray Wilson is our only ever winner (I had assumed Alan Ball but we signed him after) so I'm all for the Dutch giving us a second.

As for the term 'apologist', it has traditionally been used for Christians, and latterly for Nazis and Communists, so take from that what you will. The actual definition is simply 'one who writes in defence of something', so the answer to Ste's post 26 is: because he deserves defending as he didn't do much wrong, and people like you make me sad.
Gavin Ramejkis
32   Posted 03/07/2010 at 22:47:11

It's a pity about Paraguay not getting the edge over an ordinary looking Spain this evening, I'd love a replay of the 1974 final with Holland and Germany.
Ste Traverse
33   Posted 04/07/2010 at 02:27:38

I don't really care what anyone else says, I don't want players who are paid by this club to be publicly talking about other clubs. If they want to go, how about instucting their agent to find them alternative employment?

It doesn't matter what the 'oh Johnny Johnny' types want, he's going.
Norman Merrill
34   Posted 04/07/2010 at 09:54:22

THANK YOU! Steven Littler, For bringing some sanity back to the site.
When I sent the "If Holland won the World Cup" it was just something to get away from all the fans coming on, finding fault with players we have just signed, and who have not kicked a ball in anger.

A little bit of trivia, but you still get the fans who have failed in anger management, coming on doing the last thing I wanted.

Norman Merrill
35   Posted 04/07/2010 at 10:02:26

Sorry Stewart, in getting your name wrong.
Spragg Johnson
36   Posted 05/07/2010 at 05:54:45

Go Johnny ... get in there son ... would love to see the World Cup (a replica would be fine) paraded around Goodison.

Repeat of the '74 final would be great ... I'd hate to see Torres anywhere near the final.
Gavin Ramejkis
37   Posted 05/07/2010 at 08:33:47

Spragg, if Ladyboy plays anything like he has done so far this World Cup, he'll be lucky to get 90 mins, never mind to the final.
Nick Broadhurst
38   Posted 08/07/2010 at 10:31:14

Just got to ask.. I wonder if Ste has read our Johnny's comments this morning? Something along the lines of being proud to be representing Everton at the World Cup final I think it was...

Generous slice of humble pie required methinks!