Members:   Log In Sign Up

Super Danny Gosling Cock-Up?

I have just seen article about about the possiblity of Dan Gosling going to Newcastle which came as quite a big shock to me. I was down in London on Friday and I bumped into Dan at Euston station, although I only chatted with him for a couple of mins he came accross a real nice lad.

Dan is still a young lad with a lot of potential, but that potential might not have been there to see if it was not for Moyes taking the chance on him. Moyes chose to sign him and even play him in an FA Cup Final so must clearly rate him. Hopefully Dan remembers this before he goes making any rash decisions.

Newcastle is like a soap opera, players only go there for the money and to retire. Not the place for a player just starting out.
Ian Tunstead, Liverpool     Posted 03/07/2010 at 18:57:48

Comments

Ray Said
1   Posted 03/07/2010 at 21:42:35

I hope this is not true but if it is then someone should lose their job for this. Our Board can't be that dozy can they?

'Gosling could move for free'

Michael Kenrick
2   Posted 03/07/2010 at 21:43:52

Hopefully it is just another round of Silly Season nonsense that our beloved media are so eagre to glom onto... Seems it appeared first in The People a week ago, which is surely an indicator of its dubious progeny.

They said in the original piece that things would be decided by the Premier League this last week. But I can't think that it could mean he would leave automatically ? at worst, he's out of contract... and injured. Surely his first (only!) choice would be to stay at Everton on a new contract. Yes, if he is technically out of contract, that would let in other clubs to make an offer but what possible motivation would he have for moving? Surely the whole premise of the 'story' is ridiculous.

Surprising that no-one (including us!) picked up on it.

James Stewart
3   Posted 03/07/2010 at 21:51:44

Wouldn't care if it were true. Poor player and he makes Yakubu look like a 100m sprinter. So slow its untrue. No awareness either.
Ian McDowell
4   Posted 03/07/2010 at 21:52:47

Yeah because moving to Newcastle is a good career move, absolute bollocks.
Mike Allison
5   Posted 03/07/2010 at 21:56:30

This story was out at least a week ago so isn't big news. I agree that actually Gosling wouldn't be a big loss, I still maintain he might make a good right back but not much else (I hope to be proved wrong of course).

But the real point is, just because there is this technicality-based opportunity (even if it happens) why is it assumed he would leap at the opportunity to leave? Presumably he'd much rather be here than anywhere else, especially Newcastle. We are offering him the new contract, which includes a pay rise, and any player worth keeping would want to stay rather than move for the sake of it anyway.
Tony J Williams
6   Posted 03/07/2010 at 22:18:19

Can't see how he can go for a free when his contract doesn't expire until the end of next season!
David Thomas
7   Posted 03/07/2010 at 22:52:54

I cant wait for the transfer window to end and we can hopefully have a few months rest from all this bullshit. Who in their right mind is going to turn their back on an improved contract from Everton to go and sign for Newcastle United.
Matt Traynor
8   Posted 04/07/2010 at 00:23:13

#1 Ray Said "Our Board can't be that dozy can they? "

The same Board that gave Alex Nyarko a 5-year contract on a 4-year work permit?

Oh Yes They Can!
Tom Rowe
9   Posted 04/07/2010 at 01:01:05

I heard this from an RS fan about a month or so ago who said he had sources close to the club. Thought it was shite but then saw the rumours. Hope it isn't true. Saw a site that said it was going to an FA tribunal as contract was agreed verbally. No-one signs injured players anyway. If he's going, it's to someone as stupid as Newcastle. How could you possibly put him through a medical? Probably the same medical Owen took!
Jay Dawson
10   Posted 04/07/2010 at 01:02:16

The same board who gave Kevin Campell a 5-year contract when he was 30-odd, haha... I'm glad those days are behind us!!
Thor Sørensen
11   Posted 04/07/2010 at 01:24:44

Well, so just sign the new contract that's on offer now then, Dan.
Simon Thorne
12   Posted 04/07/2010 at 02:01:56

Wouldn't be that bothered. I agree with James (3), he has absolutely no awareness on the ball. He loses the ball a lot in dangerous places. I don't really see him as a rough gem... fool's gold more like.
Tom Rowe
13   Posted 04/07/2010 at 02:13:16

Fair point, James, he is shite apart from the goal against L'pool and Utd! Name another player who has done so at that cost! But it would be an awful waste of money if he left on a free and difficult to replace at cost of nothing!
Joe Grundy
14   Posted 04/07/2010 at 02:34:14

Gosling from midfield has the ability to score goals; I do not rate him very highly but, if he progresses and becomes an Osman-type player for us, then fair play to him and good luck in the future.

More on topic, I believe this is a non-story and he will stay.
Ste Traverse
15   Posted 04/07/2010 at 03:25:19

It wouldn't suprise me if we lost Gosling because of a cock-up by our board.

No doubt the usual suspects will still come on and defend the shower of incompetent idiots.
Liam Reilly
16   Posted 04/07/2010 at 03:23:38

Fuck me, does this site ever celebrate it's players? It's fucking tiresome listening to the same shit every day about how shit our players are.

Gosling, Baxter, Rodwell and keep a close eye on a youth team full of possibilities, but to shoot these kids down befofre they get a reasonable chance to prove themselves, is just fucking nonsense.

Ian Tunstead
17   Posted 04/07/2010 at 04:04:51

I agree, Liam, I think some people on here are being a little harsh. Dan has some very useful attributes and has the makings of a decent Prem player. He is better than 90% of the the other 19/20 year olds in the league.

He is no slower than Osman. I actually think he is already better than Osman. I was also surprised how tall Gosling was ? he must be 6ft tall, I thought he was only about 5ft 8in.
Alasdair Mackay
18   Posted 04/07/2010 at 04:19:08

I rate Gosling quite highly. His technique and work-rate are both excellent, he can finish and he can pass and he has shown that he has the right mentality for the big games (not just Liverpool and United) also scored on his debut!

The problem he suffers from is not having a consistent position. He was signed having played right-back, but has mainly played down either wing for us. He lacks the out-and-out pace or the trickery to be either type of traditional winger, but I imagine that he will eventually move in to central midfield, when he has built up a bit more and can handle the box-to-box nature and physical toughness of CM in the Premier League. Arteta moved central after 3 seasons on the right for us and I imagine Bily is seen as more of a central type player for the coming seasons.

All these wing forwards that DM is signing may well point to a medium/longer-term desire to play a 4-3-3 system with a holy-trinity style central midfield.

Imagine a midfield trio of Rodwell, Fellaini and Gosling with Anichebe, Silva and Gueye up front and Duffy, Coleman, Heitinga (c)... and Baines making up the back four? Two years time, who knows!??
Spragg Johnson
19   Posted 04/07/2010 at 06:41:31

Gosling is a squad player ... not even close to the class, pace, power, vision and potential of Rodwell. Would hate to lose him for nothing but it would hardly ruin us.
David Hallwood
20   Posted 04/07/2010 at 12:33:26

I?ve posted this on a number of occasions and I try not to repeat postings, but FFS gents, this is a rumour, a piece of gossip that may or may not have a substance.

Take the Arteta saga; now we know that he?s had talks with the club, because it was reported on the OS, so what does the future hold? Well, we?ve been told by the press (who are ALWAYS right) that he wants to go to Spain because of his son?s health problems ? no he doesn?t, he is going to Citteh in a three player exchange deal: Stephen Ireland, Nedum Onouha and Michael Johnson.

How can that be 'cos Ireland?s going to Old Trafford ? no he isn?t, he?s going to the Arse, to replace Fabregas who?s now a Barca player AND, if Arteta is going anywhere, it?s to Old Trafford ? no he isn?t! Spud?s going to the Arse to replace Fabregas... No he isn?t! Wenger?s made a bid for Van der Vaart to replace Fabregas; on second thoughts, it?s not Van der Vaart... it?s going to be Joe Cole that replaces Fabregas.

Anyone of these outcomes maybe true, but at the same token none of them could be true, so until you see the photo of Danny G holding up the Newcastle shirt, or Arteta holding up the Citteh, Man U, RS, Arse, Athletico, or Ulan Bator Wanderers shirt, take no fucking notice, don?t take part in or initiate pointless threads... (Which is of course what I?m doing!)

Erik Dols
21   Posted 04/07/2010 at 12:56:21

Ulan Bator Wanderers! I've heard from a reliable source that Arteta was a boyhood fan of them. He still has all the season tickets from those years in the stands.

BTW, Heitinga called UBW "ambitious".
Paul Gladwell
22   Posted 04/07/2010 at 18:47:42

Ian, Dan Gosling is not capable of running the centre of midfield against Chelsea or Utd as Osman did last season, producing MOM performances. By the way, I do think Gosling does have good potential.
Richard Parker
23   Posted 05/07/2010 at 08:47:28

If I had to pick a player to leave that I'd seen playing for the first team, Gosling would be quite high up the list... he makes Anichebe look like Zidane.

I feel bad saying it, after his goals against the Shite and Manure... but it's the sad truth ? I see him as a Championship player.
Ella Thornton
24   Posted 05/07/2010 at 09:20:39

Thanks Erik, you made me laugh!
Kevin Gillen
25   Posted 05/07/2010 at 09:22:16

Full of potential this lad. Was in the England u-19 Euro final and was the best English player on the day. He is a centre mid. Often played on the right or at right back out of position but does a good job. Can also score vital goals! Why would we want to lose him in circumstances like this?