Joao Moutinho

I have noticed on Sky Sports that Moutunho has left Sporting to go to Porto for £9.1 million. I'm surprised we did not go back in for him.

If we offered £15 million 2 years ago, I would've thought we could've gone for him again at £9.1 million.

Gutted!
John Peden, Southport     Posted 05/07/2010 at 16:03:25

Comments

Christopher Marston
1   Posted 05/07/2010 at 13:10:42

Joao Moutinho has gone to Porto for a low £9.1 million. Didn't we offer more last summer???
James Stewart
2   Posted 05/07/2010 at 14:12:05

Chris, Moutinho's stock has plummeted since then though. He had a terrible season and was even left out of the Portugal Squad altogether.

£9M is still a substantial outlay for him. Not the answer for us anyway. We need width.
Alasdair Mackay
3   Posted 05/07/2010 at 16:31:52

Moutinho is a central midfield player. Since losing out on his signature two summers ago we have brought in Fellaini and brought through Rodwell. Arteta has also moved permanently from the right-hand side and it looks as though Bily (who may have been signed as a winger) may end up calling that his best position too.

Wide midfielders and strikers are the pressing concern for DM at the moment and it appears that this is being addressed. Let's hope we can sign Donovan and get Arteta to stay between now and August! Anything else would be a bonus!
Liam Reilly
4   Posted 05/07/2010 at 16:34:03

Reckon it?s the timing, as opposed to the money this time.

Our midfield is strong with Mikky, Tiny, Rodwell, Fella, Peanuts, Billy, Osman, Pip and Gosling. Add to that Hettinga and the new 'MaGaye-Gueye' (god help us with that pronunciation), can also play there.

The strengthening of other areas is more important at this moment.
Jon Ferguson
5   Posted 05/07/2010 at 16:46:23

Thank god he signed for Porto, this saves us another summer of lazy journalists linking him to us.

As previously mentioned, we have plenty of talent in the middle of the park and do not need to strengthen there. We desperately need to find someone with pace for the right wing. I?d spend all of our transfer budget (however much that is) on Donavon or Barrera of Mexico.
Seamus Murphy
6   Posted 05/07/2010 at 17:44:01

Maybe we did go back in for him... Maybe he didn't want to leave Portugal... Maybe he only wants to sign for a Champions League club.

Anyway, I wouldn't be too gutted; as pointed out above, I think our priorities lie elsewhere now.

Mike Cheshire
7   Posted 05/07/2010 at 19:10:01

Looks like we can finally put the Moutinho rumours to bed with Sky Sports reporting that he has signed for FC Porto on a five year deal.

Where does everyone think this should put Moyes's interest, if indeed Moutinho was a genuine target in the first place?

James Dawson
8   Posted 05/07/2010 at 19:18:43

Just to clarify, before all the puerile stuff really starts, it's pronounced "Magyay Gwee".....as opposed to Ma-Gay-Guy. Clearly, if it were the second it would be spelt m-c-m-a-n-a-m-a-n.
Kevin Gillen
9   Posted 05/07/2010 at 19:35:41

Could we do away with the nasty homophobic remarks. It is the 21st century after all. I'm gutted we didn't get Moutinho he tore us apart earlier this year.
Des Farren
10   Posted 05/07/2010 at 20:20:56

I would have thought that knowing our previous interest in the player, Sporting would have contacted us before finalising anything. That being the case, we clearly did not express an interest. Might augur well for our retention of Arteta.
Gavin Ramejkis
11   Posted 05/07/2010 at 20:29:27

Would love to see Asamoah Gyan myself, the guy has pace to burn and is very direct; of all the African players on show at the World Cup he really shone.
James Dawson
12   Posted 05/07/2010 at 21:52:24

Kevin Gillen, if you're referring to my comment as homophobic I seriously suggest you re-read it and lighten up. Sweet holy Mary and the orphans!! Sorry if I also managed to offend any Catholics out there too...I also do racism (in all forms), child abuse jokes and have occasionally been known to throw rocks at disabled people ('cos frankly, who needs them?!).

I was merely trying to point out the CORRECT pronounciation of our new player's name, precisely to try and nip any "gay stuff" in the bud before it starts. (Sorry to any Japanese folk, or swollen areolae, for the use of the term "Nip").
Spragg Johnson
13   Posted 05/07/2010 at 22:06:47

Great reply James ... take some 'lighten up' pills Gillen!
Mike Elbey
14   Posted 05/07/2010 at 22:09:56

Good point Des.

Surely if Moyes thought there was a chance of either Pienaar or Arteta (or both) going, he would have been interested in Moutinho. Whilst I accept that we don't need him given our current squad, if we were to lose either of those, he would have been a good addition.

Let's hope it is a good indication of at least Arteta staying...
Mike Allison
15   Posted 05/07/2010 at 22:49:35

My GCSE French ('B' grade, I was a lazy arse) makes it 'Ma-guy Gway' rather than your version James. Did you get an 'A' then?
Chad Schofield
16   Posted 05/07/2010 at 22:50:21

Ha, well I laughed James Dawson - and thanks for clearing that up.

Still better that with our pink kit than us signing the Chilean Waldo Ponce, or we'd have had to have a red kit.
Kevin Gillen
17   Posted 05/07/2010 at 22:49:41

I like a joke like the next person and I know you were having a joke but, even though I hate the reds, I'd never, in this day and age, speculate ? even in a joke ? on someone's sexuality or imply that being gay was somehow wrong. If you were related to MacManaman or knew him at school as a friend, this would annoy you. It's not so long ago we had a discussion on ToffeeWeb about McFadden being "on the wrong bus" when he was still an Everton player. It's puerile and wrong. Castleford RLFC got fined £40k for it last week. With the new equality legislation you could have this site shut down. Sorry to be such a killjoy.
Tommy Gibbons
18   Posted 05/07/2010 at 23:47:50

Moutinho played well against an out-of-sorts Everton side, he's no better than Arteta or Fellaini... best we spend our £9m elsewhere!

Oh, and K Gillen.... which world do you and the other language fascists live in? You can offend everybody all of the time with your use of language... you for instamce have just upset me! (boo hoo)... Just call a spade a spade and stop queering the pitch.... Djew mus(lim)n't let it get you down (that must be a syndrome), don't ya think...

Anthony Millington
19   Posted 06/07/2010 at 00:04:43

O dear... does no-one at Everton have a clue...
Steven Pendleton
20   Posted 05/07/2010 at 23:57:13

Kevin, are you typing these comments or is your boyfriend. Lighten up buttercup!!
Shaun Brennan
21   Posted 06/07/2010 at 08:48:19

He hates reds. He's just read too much cold war propaganda.
Helikaon Bow
22   Posted 06/07/2010 at 08:48:56

Kevin Gillen its people like you who are screwing this country up because everyone is terrified of offending every last minute of the day.

The lad said nothing wrong, he was just explaining the pronunciation.

Seriously if you are so sensitive I suggest you leave this website because none of us want people like you writing on it.

James Dawson
23   Posted 06/07/2010 at 08:42:17

Mike Allison, you're probably right. I was just relaying the name as heard on the radio over the weekend. I did get an A; however, also spent too much time leering at the lovely ladies in my french class....

Kevin Gillen -
1) I don't hate the reds, in fact, hate is a VERY strong word. I don't hate anybody. Why do you hate them, Kevin?

2) Please explain to me where I implied that being gay was wrong? I don't appreciate you putting those particular words in my mouth.

3) The original joke works precisely because Stevie Mc ISN'T gay.... it was merely a throwback to the days when he was pilloried due to his rather well-coiffed barnet and somewhat eccentric clothing.

4) If I DID know Stevie Mc, I'd have been annoyed and upset a long time ago when this supposed blue went and played for the dark side. The villainous scumbag. :-)

5) If anybody ever invites you to a Frankie Boyle gig, I suggest you politely decline. Your brain would be fried.
Ciarán McGlone
24   Posted 06/07/2010 at 09:38:51

Do we have £9 million? And could we compete with Porto?

I'm not so sure on either front... so it's lucky we don't need a central midfielder... we're already over subscribed in that area.
Lee Mandaracas
25   Posted 06/07/2010 at 09:23:30

Kevin, seriously, take a break and realise that it is possibly to have banter without demeaning others. Yes, homophobia is rightly consigned to the same level of disgust as racism in today's society. However, latching on to such a lame effort as you did and calling it a 'nasty homophobic remark' is absurd.

You reckon this site could be shut down for such a comment. I am incredulous! Have you looked elsewhere at the bile, poison and vitriol on this site alone? Furthermore, if you are that sensetive please don't dare to take your browser anywhere else on this vast, evil machine the rest of us call the internet. And I mean anywhere! it is far too dangerous for you.

I suggest you go back to your personal library of Mary Whitehouse books, lock yourself into your own little safe room from the rest of us nasty individuals and worry about policing your own life. let the rest of us with a degree of rationale and balance judge for ourselves what our tolerances should be.

In the words of Catherine Tate; "How very dare you!"
Phil Martin
26   Posted 06/07/2010 at 10:31:13

Porto probably offered £9M payable over 3 years.

Billy K offers £15M which comprises of a down payment of £500k, plus £1.5M a year for the next 5 years.

With;
An extra £1M after 50 Everton appearances.
An extra £1M after 50 Everton goals
An extra £1M after 50 Portugal Caps
An extra £1M if Everton qualify the for CL
etc....
Liam Reilly
27   Posted 06/07/2010 at 11:45:53

Sorry if I offended you Kevin, but my remarks were meant in jest. A name is just that; a name. I work indirectly with a Mr Wank and a Mr Shitty, it doesn't imply anything, but it's a little funny nonetheless.

Anyway, back to the thread, keeping Arteta is far more important than siging Moutinho IMO.
Ben Jones
28   Posted 06/07/2010 at 12:08:57

If Arteta would have left we would have had him, but he hasn't. I just hope to god Arteta doesn't leave now, because Moutinho or Defour would be the only replacements I would have considered.
Ciarán McGlone
29   Posted 06/07/2010 at 12:37:54

Replacing Arteta with Defour would be not a like for like replacement.
Jimmy Hacking
30   Posted 06/07/2010 at 12:06:19

The relief washing over me is immense; Now hopefully with this move complete we will hear no more about this player. His name seems to have been mentioned at least once in every letter/article on this website for two years...

Alarm bells have always been ringing for me about this lad. He looks decent in Portugal granted but then so did Hugo Viana and Helder Postiga. I remember reading an article in World Soccer magazine a few years back about how if a player is Portugese, then his transfer fee is instantly doubled... it all harks back to that "golden generation" bollocks. He's 23 now and if he was good enough to play for Everton, then another non-Portuguese club wold have already snapped him up.

End of. Please?
Shaun Brennan
31   Posted 06/07/2010 at 13:08:41

Would he want to come to Everton? Just remember how shite we looked in Portugal, home and away last season...
Tom Astley
32   Posted 06/07/2010 at 16:08:43

We are just left with Riquelme then!
Rob Murphy
33   Posted 06/07/2010 at 19:20:38

Porto didn't qualify for CL, finished 3rd so Europa for them. As for Gyan... touch of the Andy Cole about him:15 chances...1 goal!!! And he looks older than Yak!!!
Kevin Gillen
34   Posted 06/07/2010 at 23:39:30

Sorry, guys, but I'm not a language fascist or anything of the sort. I remember being on the terraces and, like the other 40,000, shouting racist remarks at Clyde Best. I was 8 I think. It was wrong. I realise that now.

Homophobia is also wrong and I'm sorry, James, but it never occured to me that Magaye Gueye would be mispronounced as My Gay Guy or that, even if he was, it might be something to be ashamed of!

Paul Maguire
35   Posted 07/07/2010 at 02:24:47

Speaking of Portugese midfielders (amongst other things) why don't I throw another name in the pot... Manny Fernandes!! He's normally mentioned about this time!

(I thought Defour was off to the Shite?)

Dan Sedlak
36   Posted 07/07/2010 at 03:48:26

This is apparently official - unbelievable
Gavin Ramejkis
37   Posted 07/07/2010 at 08:17:25

Rob, Asamoah Gyan is 24, that's a Ghanaian 24 not a Nigerian 24, he runs a lot more than the Yak and, other than his piss poor penalty in the last minute of their last game at the World Cup, I thought he looked a better player than the Yak.
Richard Reeves
38   Posted 07/07/2010 at 13:09:17

A bit gutted really as I thought Moutinho was out of our price range. Always thought we have a chance of getting him along with Defour in the future.