How many have gone before him?

Seeing Mr Heitinga and his Dutch colleagues qualify for the World Cup Final, it set my mind thinking, how many Everton players have graced the pitch in the world?s largest match either while they were at the club or prior / after?

Knowng some of you guys are gurus of knowledge, I thought I?d throw it out there...
Paul Fuller, Tolleshunt Major, Essex     Posted 07/07/2010 at 11:13:05

Comments

Matt Traynor
1   Posted 07/07/2010 at 14:41:57

Ray Wilson 66 (during), Alan Ball 66 (before),
Matterazzi 06 (after) are three that spring to mind straightaway.
James Marshall
2   Posted 07/07/2010 at 14:42:43

Zero.

Neither Everton or the RS have had a player in the final since '66. Ray Wilson & Roger Hunt.

Materazzi is the only one that springs to mind as an ex Everton player.
Gary Creaney
3   Posted 07/07/2010 at 15:14:20

Plenty of mileage in this thread.....
Mike Galley
4   Posted 07/07/2010 at 15:45:20

James, I apologise if I'm mistaken but I'm sure Hamman played in the 2002 final against Brazil.
Liam Reilly
5   Posted 07/07/2010 at 15:52:16

Matt,
Alan Ball didn't sign for Everton until August 1966, after the World Cup.
Matt Traynor
6   Posted 07/07/2010 at 16:13:06

I know Liam. It was "either while they were at the club or prior / after?" that's the kicker.
Mike McLean
7   Posted 07/07/2010 at 16:50:19

Gary Lineker, 1986.

Didn't join Barca till after, if Dame Memory serves me well.
Mike McLean
8   Posted 07/07/2010 at 16:52:03

OOPS! The final. Sorry about that.

Ignore me. I'm used to it.
Tony J Williams
9   Posted 07/07/2010 at 16:57:25

Who said that?
Michael Brien
10   Posted 07/07/2010 at 17:30:01

Brian Labone turned down the chance to be part of the England World Cup squad ? because of his wedding. I have always wondered would he have established himself in the England squad and been first choice rather than Jack Charlton?

I know that I am biased, but I think Labone was the better all round player. I think he won about 26 caps for England, really it should have been about 76 caps!!!

Michael Brien
11   Posted 07/07/2010 at 17:37:21

That was of course in the 1966 World Cup squad ? by the time of the 1970 tournament, Brian was the first choice; better late than never, I suppose... but I don't think many Evertonians would have swopped Brian Labone for Jack Charlton!!
Guy Hastings
12   Posted 07/07/2010 at 17:44:21

MB - didn't Gordon West also bow out from a World Cup appearance in '70 due to pressure from his missus? He'd have been in goal instead of Bonetti in the QF against Germany. Would he have saved any of the three goals or shouldered the blame like 'The Cat' for the rest of his career?
Duncan McDine
13   Posted 07/07/2010 at 22:14:33

King Louis would've (06), but got booked in the semi against those diving Portugese. Must be a massive regret for him.

Just wonder what the general feelings are about Heitinga reaching the final. If it weren't for a few dodgy quotes lately (possibly taken out of context), I'd be very excited and proud that he's there. I still want him to do well, and keep an eye on him... but don't have that same feeling as watching Cahill for the Aussies or T-How for the States.
Dick Anderson
14   Posted 07/07/2010 at 22:35:20

Are we still counting Johnny Heitinga as an Everton player?

Just a few weeks ago he claimed he would get a bike and flag and cycle to Barcelona.

I haven't forgot that and I don't really know if I still consider him an Everton player.
Matt Traynor
15   Posted 08/07/2010 at 04:21:01

Dick, until he's pictured at the Camp Nou holding the shirt with his name and number on the back, don't get your hopes up.
Dick Fearon
16   Posted 08/07/2010 at 06:58:37

What with Barca's financial woes, they would need to think very hard about forking out £30 mil for our Johnny or anybody else for that matter.
Michael Brien
17   Posted 08/07/2010 at 07:19:48

Guy ? yes, Gordon West turned down the chance to be in the 1970 World Cup squad. To be fair to him, though, he did indicate in the summer of 1969 that he didn't wish to be considered for the World Cup squad. He had been part of the England squad that went on a South American tour in the close season of 1969.

Who knows if he would have been able to save the German goals in the Quarter Final match? I have always felt that Bonetti was harshly treated by the media. It worked against England, however, because blaming one player deflected the blame from where it should have gone ? to the tactics they used and especially poor use of substitutes,

Mike Allison
18   Posted 08/07/2010 at 09:16:22

Funnily enough Dick, yes we are. I take it you ignored all the Dutch contributors explaining what he actually said. Unfortunately, the answers to most of the World Cup based questions are on Wikipedia, so boring issue I'm afraid. We've had 27 World Cup players (played whilst under contract to Everton) and Heitinga is the second finalist, as Alan Ball doesn't count.
Tony J Williams
19   Posted 08/07/2010 at 09:33:30

Dick, when he clatters Stevie Me Laaaaa or Dirk Kuynt in the derby, I will certainly think of him as an Everton player... unless he is playing in the Nou Camp that is. One thing though, his leg muscles will be large with all that peddling.
Duncan McDine
20   Posted 08/07/2010 at 10:56:53

Talking of Johnny Heitinga's dodgy comments... he's now on the OS saying how proud he is to be an Evertonian!

For now, I'm not too bothered about what he says. I'll be cheering him and the Orange Army all the way on Sunday (anyone from Northern Ireland should note that I mean Holland when referring to the Orange Army!).

Go Johnny Go Go Go!
Johnny be Good
Rob Murphy
21   Posted 08/07/2010 at 11:55:46

Duncan, the Orange Army lads in Northern Ireland are orange for the same reason that the lads in Holland/The Netherlands are Orange Army...

Discuss.
Richard Harris
22   Posted 08/07/2010 at 12:57:29

I'm just orange because of the fake tan - no politics, religion or national reasons.....
Dave Roberts
23   Posted 08/07/2010 at 13:01:11

Is orange better than pink?
Liam Reilly
24   Posted 08/07/2010 at 13:21:15

"The Orange Army lads in Northern Ireland are orange for the same reason that the lads in Holland/The Netherlands are Orange Army..."

WTF?!

Back on thread.
Great comments from JH on the OS. Really rooting for the Dutch on Sunday.
Brendan O'Doherty
25   Posted 08/07/2010 at 13:49:24

Well I for one won't be rooting for the Dutch on Sunday, despite us having a player in their side. The Spanish performance last night was utterly mesmerising and I am smitten with them. After Van Bommel going around kicking lumps out of people and not getting penalised, and the very flukey 2nd and crucial goal against Uruguay which should have been disallowed for offside, the Dutch have stumbled into the final. They have played better in previous tournaments and been knocked out, so maybe there is a lesson there. But a Spanish win would be a victory for the game as it should be played.

BTW - that is nothing to do with Rob Murphy's attempt to throw a live hand grenade into this discussion, even though he's right.
Andy Crooks
26   Posted 08/07/2010 at 18:54:23

Brendan, I had ten quid on a Holland - Germany final at 50/1. Yes, I'm gutted but Germany were second best in every way... I had a saver on Spain, though. I really don't understand Rob's comment. He's right, as you said... but what it has do to with Everton is beyond me.
Duncan McDine
27   Posted 08/07/2010 at 21:42:37

Rob.

What about Umpa-Lumpas, and David Dickenson?
Mike Allison
28   Posted 09/07/2010 at 10:02:29

Van Bommel doesn't kick lumps out of people, he makes challenges and tackles, just like everyone used to, its amazing how influential one bloke on the telly can be.

A lot of the time its the player from the other team feeling contact and going down too easily, or the simple fact that he goes into a 50-50 stronger than the other player rather than Van Bommel being outrageously dirty.

People seem to have got themselves into the mindset that if a player has committed three fouls they should be in the book and four and five should see them sent off. You've let FIFA brainwash you.
Brendan O'Doherty
29   Posted 09/07/2010 at 12:54:12

Who is your comment addressed to ?

If it is me it seems you are watching the games with dark glasses on. I trust only my own eyes and I haven't seen this FIFA official you refer to. As for being brainwashed, don't be so fucking patronising.

Van Bommel should not have stayed on the pitch against Brazil as he committed at least 3 cynical fouls which were bookable offences, and he was at it again against Uruguay, notably in the build up to the first goal. Reports I've read on the game would also back up this view. To suggest I need a FIFA official to tell me what I've seen is laughable. You don't agree, that's fine. But don't come on here and attempt to portray other people's views as brainwashing.

Apart from the fouling, he is very good player, as far as I'm concerned.
Rob Murphy
30   Posted 11/07/2010 at 00:08:27

And Dale Winton...
Brendan O'Doherty
31   Posted 11/07/2010 at 23:45:47

"Van Bommel doesn't kick lumps out of people."

"You've let FIFA brainwash you."

--------------------------------------

What a crock of shite. After tonight's game, Van Bommel has brought shame to the game of football.

Hang on a minute, maybe that's FIFA brainwashing me again...