Do we have the next Rooney?

A dozen young graduates of Everton Academy have been elevated to the status of full-time players who will likely figure in next season's Under-18 FA Premier Academy League campaign: Adam Thomas (forward), Johan Hammar (defender), Ben Heneghan (defender), Ross Barkley (midfielder), James Fitzgibbon (goalkeeper), Tyias Browning (defender), Matthew Harris (midfielder), Hallam Hope (forward), John Lundstram (midfielder), Ryan Higgins (midfielder), Jordan Barrow (defender), and Anton Forrester (forward).

I don't get to see any reserve games or watch any of the youngsters at Everton. Would anyone be able to enlighten us to who they think will be the one's to take the next step. Have we any ruff diamonds in there? Or are they all average Joes? Have we another Rooney or Rodwell in that pack?
Jimmy  Saville, Leeds     Posted 09/07/2010 at 17:06:53

Comments

Mark Stone
1   Posted 10/07/2010 at 19:11:56

If I tell you which of these deserves a real shot, will you fix it for him?

There is always a 'next Rooney' isn't there? But 9.9 times out of 10 he ends up signing for Northwhich Victoria on a free and then getting a job making Land Rovers in Speke.

Ross Barkley is the one making waves and I really hope he makes it, but there really is no way of knowing.
Sam Hoare
2   Posted 10/07/2010 at 20:11:54

Hallam Hope and Ross Barkley the most exciting as far as I know.

Saw Barkley playing for the victorious England U17 team (a team Brooking described as the best passing England side at any level). Barkley was one of the key players in this side and looked very good. Long way to go yet though.

Best of luck to all of them.
David Hallwood
3   Posted 11/07/2010 at 12:32:08

Agree with Mark (#1), the last one I saw who really caught the eye was JP Kissock, and I saw him quite a few times, and told everyone, that he had everything ? except a contract. He was released and I can only hope that his career kicks on and he proves everyone wrong.
Ian McDowell
4   Posted 11/07/2010 at 21:43:27

Rooney was a one-off, I doubt we will ever see a 16-year-old like it again. I remember Bolton at home December 2002, it was one of the best one-man performances I have ever seen and probably the best game I have ever seen Rooney play.
Ian Tunstead
5   Posted 12/07/2010 at 00:40:46

I remember it too Ian. I have never seen a performance like it. Rooney was much more exciting and direct in an Everton shirt than a Man Utd shirt. I would say his finishing and composure in front of goal have improved but he has gone backwards in all other depatments in my opinion.

I doubt we will ever see a 16-year-old as good as that again. I would say him and Thiery Henry in his prime were the two best and most exciting players in the Premier League that season.
Richard Dodd