No number 9

The Club has issued Squad Numbers for the new season, and there is no number 9.

Apologies to those bored of speculation on new players during the summer months ? but that is what concerns us at this time of year, simple as.

We can only surely assume that Moyes is after a new number 9... Is that Donovan? I'd be chuffed with that. More likely than Suarez, anyway.

And with so many strikers on the books after the inclusion of three in the last two months, I'd speculate further that someone is for the chop. Why would 4-5-1 requires so many strikers?

Or can there be another reason for no number 9? Then enlighten me!
Roberto Birquet, London     Posted 12/07/2010 at 14:11:59

Comments

Simon Gilmovitch
1   Posted 12/07/2010 at 14:57:52

What about the Nos 11, 13 & 27 ? can you enlighten us about them as well? :-)
Dick Anderson
2   Posted 12/07/2010 at 14:58:33

The No 9 is special at Everton and cannot be given to just anyone.

Dixie Dean was the first player to wear the No 9 shirt at Everton and many of Everton's legendary strikers inherited it over the years. Duncan Ferguson was the last legend to wear it.

Personally I don't think any of the current strikers deserve the shirt. Yakubu (not the same player since his injury), Saha (too injury prone), Vaughan (not good enough), Anichebe (not good enough)... Maybe in a year or two either Beckford, Silva or Gueye will develop enough to earn that shirt.

For now, though, I would rest it until someone proves worthy.
Mike McLean
3   Posted 12/07/2010 at 15:26:28

Duncan Ferguson was an overpaid, low scoring thug. Legend? Arsehole.
Aidy Dews
4   Posted 12/07/2010 at 15:15:48

Maybe it's being saved for someone but I doubt it. The likes of Yak and Saha haven't got it cos they prefer other numbers, like Yak wanted 20 cos that's the target of goals he sets every season but got 22 and Saha had 9 but wanted 8 cos isn't his birthday something like 8/8/78 and he finds the number 8 to be lucky, or something daft like that?

And none of the new boys will get it as Gueye and Silva are just young unknowns and are here to improve and prove themselves. Beckford, although older, isn't proven in the Premier League and doesn't warrant the Number 9 shirt.

I'd like to think we've got someone lined up to wear the number 9... maybe Donovan, but I wont hold my breath as we didn't bring anyone in last summer to wear it either, did we?
Guy Wilkinson
5   Posted 12/07/2010 at 15:35:48

Dunc restored our pride.

Got the terraces jumping like no other player in the last 20y.

Legend.
Andrew Fair
6   Posted 12/07/2010 at 15:42:49

Big Dunc showed passion for Everton and pride to wear the blue shirt! Definite Everton Legend! So what if he strangled or punched a couple of germans along the way
Rob Hollis
7   Posted 12/07/2010 at 15:56:11

Duncan was committed and often should have been.

He never scored enough to be a legend, or played enough for that matter.

He was incredible at times, but that was every so often. A notable player at best.
Roberto Birquet
8   Posted 12/07/2010 at 16:01:44

Simon Gilmovitch
if you don't know the difference between a number 9 and 27 at Everton, you need enlightening on some pretty basic Everton stuff.

Josh Holmes
9   Posted 12/07/2010 at 16:46:09

Bluekipper seems certain than Landon Donovan is signing for us. Hope it's true, but you never know.
Mike Green
10   Posted 12/07/2010 at 16:34:36

Dick - Dixie was not only our 1st No.9, he was also the worlds 1st No.9, wearing the No.9 shirt in the 1933 FA Cup Final - the first game that numbered shirts were ever used.

He scored in that final, where we beat City 3-0 - so not only is he our 1st No.9, and the worlds 1st No.9 he also scored the first ever goal scored by a No.9 on the numbers debut game to boot.

So - you're right, it is particularly special to us and should be treated with the respect that it deserves.

As for Big Dunc I'm with Mike McLean all the way - the bloke was an complete animal.
Gordon Blair
11   Posted 12/07/2010 at 17:14:05

I am pretty sure we retired the No 9 shirt when Brett Angell retired from proffessional football.

Although I could be mistaken.
Simon Gilmovitch
12   Posted 12/07/2010 at 17:58:03

Roberto, you are right, of course, can you enlighten me on Tony Cottee, Bret Angell, James Beattie & Yakubu
Dick Anderson
13   Posted 12/07/2010 at 18:10:02

I agree that Big Dunc didn't score as often as he should have but alot of that was down to injuries.

You have to look at things in context. The mid-to-late 90's was a really dark time in Everton's history. Most of it spent fighting relegation and rarely even finishing in the Top half of the league.

Big Dunc was the one shining light through all these dark days. He loved the club and on his day was absoluetly World Class.

I remember Big Dunc regulary almost single handedly destroying Man Utd and Liverpool.

I always jumped for joy when Everton scored but when Big Dunc got the goal it was an extra high.

Think back to the 90's can you name any players who could be considered possible legends?

Now days its easy with Cahill, Arteta, Pienaar and even Fellaini making a claim for legendary status. Back then Big Dunc was the only one who came close.

I can understand the doubters. You can argue he was never as good as he could have been.

But through the dark miserable days he was an absolute legend.

I just wish he had spent more time in a Moyes team. I'd love to see Big Dunc in Moyes' Top 5 regular Euro qualifying team.

Imagine how many goals Big Dunc could have scored in a good Everton team. Duncan with Arteta, Pienaar, Fellaini, Bily and Cahill around him.

If he was fit and still playing now in the Moyes team I would bet he would be Everton's Top Striker.

Big Dunc may be a cult legend but I really do feel he is a legend and he's certainly the last player to wear No9 and actually deserve it.
Nick Armitage
14   Posted 12/07/2010 at 19:35:18

Duncan Ferguson.

Legend.

Fact.

End of.
John Audsley
15   Posted 12/07/2010 at 20:00:22

We can only surely assume that Moyes is after a new number 9...

Ehhhh????

Did we have a number 9 last year??

Since Beattie left Saha had it for a season then asked to swap to 8. I really dont think it means me will be spending on a new striker

Jay Dawson
16   Posted 12/07/2010 at 20:19:15

Hope Donavon comes back to fill it then! I seriously think we could push for 4th place with him back , and a fully fit squad.
Neil Patten
17   Posted 12/07/2010 at 22:08:13

Big Dunc gave people, including me, very happy memories and for that I will always be grateful. That is why many consider him a legend. I agree with them.

Some people have very short memories.

We are currently blessed with several good players but Dunc stood head and shoulders above the rest of the team on his day and understood what it meant to be an Evertonian.

I suspect the people who question his status are the ones who currently moan about Tim Cahill's technical ability. Sometimes it is not how technically gifted a player is but what he gives to the fans. Tim and Duncan are both legends in my eyes for the big game happy memories they have given me and their affiliation with our team.

Not many players can offer that and we should be thankful when we have them.

Steve Navin
18   Posted 12/07/2010 at 22:14:44

Big Dunc will always be a legend, he may have been injury-prone but, my God, he wore that No 9 shirt with pride...

And yes, we need Donovan back... another piece to the jigsaw for our push to fourth.
Graham Holliday
19   Posted 12/07/2010 at 23:13:12

'Does this mean Landon Donovan will be returning?' I hear you cry.

Well to me, more interesting is:

- Jan Mucha takes Carlo Nash's number 1 jersey. Nash appeared in some of the footage of Everton in Oz but someone mentioned they only had one keeper over there in one of the interviews, so I think we can now safely assume Nash is or will be departing the club.

- Magaye Gueye has taken Dan Gosling's number 19 shirt, so as above looks like this is confirmation of that one (if we needed it).

- But perhaps most interestingly, some fringe senior squad players have not been issued numbers (or at least not named on the OS). Baxter and Jutkiewicz are not included on the list. What to make of this? Are there transfers/loans in the offing, or is it merely an oversight. We know the club are prone to these!

Richard Porter
20   Posted 12/07/2010 at 23:49:48

Carlo Nash is out of contract and apparently returned from Australia to discuss a move to Stoke. I would imagine that Jutkiewicz will be sold, and Baxter may be loaned out to gain some competitve first team experience. If either of them is required to make an appearance, I would imagine they will be given a squad number at that time.
Brendan O'Doherty
21   Posted 13/07/2010 at 01:06:36

"Big Dunc will always be a legend,may av been injury prone,but my god he wore that no.9 shirt with pride..."

Yes, against the RS, Man Utd., Newcastle (on Shearer's debut),.....help, i'm running out of examples.
Against Leicester, Sheff Wed.,and the like, well no, not really.

Big Dunc was great when he was up for it, and when he wasn't he,well, wasn't. Plus there are the ridiculous red cards he got himself, when he let the team down badly.

Mixed feelings: some great memories, some not so great. Legend? No.

"I suspect the people who question his status are the ones who currently moan about Tim Cahill's technical ability."

Not me Neil. Cahill for me is already a legend because he does it more often. Big Dunc had more ability than Cahill but didn't do it often enough.

But it's all about opinions...
Keith Glazzard
22   Posted 13/07/2010 at 04:11:46

If Pierluigi Collina thought that Big Dunc was an artless thug, sufficiently to imagine that Marcus Bent, while being fouled was committing a foul, thus denying Ferguson a perfectly good goal at a crucial point in an exceptionally important game ...

(pause for breath)

... then dear sweet Duncan must have been doing something right.

The powers that be don't use a hammer to crack a nut. If you see what I mean.
Alan Rycroft
23   Posted 13/07/2010 at 08:22:18

Dunc was a Man Mountain. Not a saint, indeed... but a legend in footballing terms with a great head and fearsome Highland visage! He will always live in my memory as a great Evertonian. Head and shoulders above the current Everton crew and most current strikers in the PL where the freaks are the Brit strikers anyway, they are all foreigners!

I only rate Defoe, Ashley Young and Agbonlahor and the arse guy. Mostly A poor poor crew, the current load of English footballers.

And what a crap boring World Cup so, many of the others are not much better! Spain are boring! Football these days lacks characters and real class! Johan Cryuff, Pele, Eusebio, George Best, Alan Ball would make mincemeat out of this lot!

Down on footie but still for the blues, just about!

Vishal Poorundersingh
24   Posted 13/07/2010 at 08:58:00

I know only one and when he was scoring, there was really a different feeling...

Duncan Ferguson.

Legend.

Fact.

End of.

Jason Lam
25   Posted 13/07/2010 at 09:47:20

I want someone who's not afraid to lead the line up front and Donovan being the arrogant cocky prick that he is we have someone fearless enough to wear the Number 9 (even though he's not an out-and-out striker).

We need a Big Dunc, Sharpie and Andy Gray up front against so called 'superior' teams that get all the refereeing decisions.
Neil Vaughan
26   Posted 13/07/2010 at 10:21:11

Brendan (21)... Couldn't have put it better myself mate... well said.

Big Dunc, provider of some great memories. Legend... absolutely NOT!!
Shaun Brennan
27   Posted 13/07/2010 at 11:21:51

To put Dunc in the Legend status bracket, I think you are seriously underestimating the qualities found in true sporting Legends.

For me, Duncan was not a Legend.
Liam Reilly
28   Posted 13/07/2010 at 12:16:21

Some of the more darker days in the club's recent history were made bearable by watching Big Dunc wear that shirt.

Love him or hate him, he made an impression on all blues one way or the other and will be remembered long after a lot of the current crop have vanished.

Legend.
Dick Anderson
29   Posted 13/07/2010 at 12:32:59

Big Dunc was a real character.

He played in an age where footballers are treated like celebrities. And yet Dunc never once talked to the press or the Sky TV cameras.

He was a wild tough man on the pitch but by all accounts a quiet family man who loved pigeons off it.

He beat up burgulars when they stupidly broke into his house.

He struck fear into opposing players. Remember how he grabbed hold of Robbie Savage?

Plus he helped win the FA Cup. No small feat considering how poor Everton were back in those days.

He was a cult player on and off the pitch. He played in very dark days for Everton and was a shining light.

Big Dunc = Legend.

Thats my opinion anyway.
Gavin Ramejkis
30   Posted 13/07/2010 at 12:34:15

I think the more apt phrase for Duncan Ferguson is cult hero. At a really low time in the club's history he did give us some great memories but also some shit ones. When he put in a shift he scared the living daylights out of opposition defenders but in his own mind he admits football was never his first love. I still love the guy for great memories and the hand written letter he sent to my niece after she wrote to him whilst he was in Barlinnie, something I suspect not a lot of players would do these days.
Lee Smith
31   Posted 13/07/2010 at 12:45:46

Dick #29. Robbie Savage? Do you mean Steffen Freund? I wish he had gotten a hold of Savage though. Ha Ha.
Craig Taylor
32   Posted 13/07/2010 at 14:17:09

Duncan was not quality, but he has everton tatooed on his heart... well, arm! He fought for Everton in every sense. Legend.
Thomas Christensen
33   Posted 13/07/2010 at 20:42:57

Where is the link to back up this claim??

The official website hasn't given numbers to Beckford, Gueye or Silva... surely one of these will get it, end of BIG storm in a tea cup!!

Michael Kenrick
34   Posted 13/07/2010 at 20:49:22

Err... Thomas @ #33: Look at the homepage:

"Squad Numbers for Everton's new signings are: 1 Jan Mucha; 16 Jermaine Beckford; 19 Magaye Gueye; 29 João Silva."

Weather forecast for tea cup remains "unsettled with the occasional squalls".
Thomas Christensen
35   Posted 13/07/2010 at 21:15:49

Michael - where are you looking??

EFC homepage??
Ernie Baywood
36   Posted 14/07/2010 at 03:43:53

No number 9 presumably means we would like someone from outside the club to fill the shirt... whether we'll get them is a completely different question. That's about all there is to say on that.

Re:Duncan. History won't treat him very well. But he gave us some pride when it was in short supply. He's a legend to me but, when the crop of fans who watched him play take their final Stanna up the stairs to the stars, he won't be remembered as well as a host of players before him.
Steve Pugh
37   Posted 14/07/2010 at 12:40:15

Thomas #35

Robert Workman
38   Posted 14/07/2010 at 16:24:19

Bizarrely, Jose Baxter wore the No 9 shirt against Melbourne Heart.