Arteta's wedding

Does anyone think it odd that Mikel has been given permission to leave the tour down under to attend his wedding? It's not as if Mikel has been at the World Cup and could not have got married during June (or am I missing something?).

Is the manager making an exception for a special player (perhaps in the hope that cutting Arteta some slack will encourage him to sign a new deal) or would he/should he be prepared to allow any player to do likewise during this critical stage in the preparations for next season?
Simon Maughan, Melbourne, Australia     Posted 14/07/2010 at 00:08:17

Comments

Dermot Ryan
1   Posted 14/07/2010 at 05:05:45

I'm actually more surprised he went all the way down there, if it was always planned he would fly back to Europe for his wedding. Is he going to return after his wedding? If not, how long did he actually spend in Australia? I hope getting married (and all that is related to that) is all he's going to do while in Spain, i.e. I hope it's all pleasure and not business.
Steven Pendleton
2   Posted 14/07/2010 at 05:41:08

Rest easy, Simon. Apparently Cahill is in the wedding party and would presumably be under stalking instructions from Mr Moyes.
Chris Matheson
3   Posted 14/07/2010 at 07:00:46

I guess he's had to time his wedding to fit between the end of the World Cup and the start of the new season. At the time of choosing the date, he may have had an outside hope of playing or maybe he just guessed that some of his mates would be in SA and would not be able to attend unless he timed it after the World Cup Final.
Sam Morrison
4   Posted 14/07/2010 at 07:09:51

It would be a novel wedding if he didn't go...
Shaun Brennan
5   Posted 14/07/2010 at 08:29:18

Do the grooms usually decide what date the wedding is on? They just turn up right?
Peter Dancer
6   Posted 14/07/2010 at 08:37:38

Ha! Good one Shaun.
Jayden Pileggi
7   Posted 14/07/2010 at 08:38:27

it could be something as simplistic as he didn't want to get married while the World Cup is taking place. He is god friends with Fabregas and possibly other players and maybe friends were at the World Cup in South Africa, or maybe he had planned to be playing at the World Cup so he organised it after in case of that odd chance.
Dave Lynch
8   Posted 14/07/2010 at 08:55:37

Does it matter ?
Craig Taylor
9   Posted 14/07/2010 at 09:06:44

It's his Wedding, he is the Groom, kind of think he needs to be there.

Let's face it, he wouldn't have organised it so has probably only just been told the date by his missus!!!

I do not think he would have gone to Aus if he was leaving, and all the talk about wanting to go because of his kid's medical condition seems off the mark as I do not think he would have gone to Aus a few weeks after finding this out!
David Chait
10   Posted 14/07/2010 at 09:12:35

I can see why you would wonder... my take is Arteta is a senior, important and loyal team player. Moyes has learnt that he needs to respect his senior players and afford them some leniency. This is important and shows the club understands important pesonal moments for players which helps them love the club even more... I would have been disappointed if we didn't show this type of respect to such an esteemed player.
Andrew Ellams
11   Posted 14/07/2010 at 09:17:52

My guess is that they are probably having it at some sort of mega exclusive venue that is booked up years in advance and perhaps didn't get too much choice with the venue. Also, Mikel may not have been at the World Cup but there is a fair chance that quite a few guests were.
Chris Fisher
12   Posted 14/07/2010 at 09:23:16

Maybe the date they're getting married has a great meaning to the two of them, like maybe it was the first day they met or something? It doesn't always have to be a great conspiracy against Everton, does it!!
Andy Morden
13   Posted 14/07/2010 at 09:40:58

This borders on paranoid stalker antics.

Hey, did you hear Sylvain Distin went to the toilet at 9.30am rather than his usual 8.45am? He's so regular, the break in the normal routine MUST mean something....
Dan McKie
14   Posted 14/07/2010 at 09:39:09

Like someone else said, this wedding will have started to be planned ages ago, when Arteta still had hope of going to the World Cup himself, and some of his guests will have been (his best mate Alonso, Reina etc.), and probably a long time before the tour of Australia was announced also.
Adam Fenlon
15   Posted 14/07/2010 at 09:36:20

He was always going to miss the Brisbane Roar game given the wedding is this weekend.

I imagine a bit of common sense was shown if the plan was that he would only have been playing a half or so against Melbourne Heart tonight anyway.

A bit of a shame for the Melbourne-based Blues, but hopefully nothing to worry about for the rest of us. COYB!
James Cadwaladr
16   Posted 14/07/2010 at 12:33:21

I saw this on the Press Association website and it gives me great concern: as far as I'm aware, he is already married.

A friend of mine is a reporter for the PA and says that they will only tend to report what is true or what is believed to be true by hearing it from the horses mouth so to speak ? i.e. a direct quote from someone at Everton.

Given the recent news about him wanting to go back to Spain and my belief that he is already married I have concerns that we are being told porkies again.

Or indeed am I wrong and he is in fact not married???? I hope this is the case!
Ernie Baywood
17   Posted 14/07/2010 at 13:36:46

I think you're wrong James. The wedding has been common knowledge for a while and Tim is his groomsman.

The thing that bothers me is that he was due to play tonight (it was always planned that he and Tim would leave after this game) and as late as yesterday he was interviewed on SEN (local sports radio - audio link below) where he still indicated he would be playing. Then this morning all of a sudden he's been given permission to leave early.

A con job to help sell tickets for the Melbourne game? Probably.

But what if a club have thrown a bid in and Mikel wants to discuss terms now rather than leave it a few weeks after his wedding and honeymoon? It's not exactly ridiculous is it?

Here's his radio interview from yesterday. http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Everton-star-Mikel-Arteta/707
Brendan McLaughlin
18   Posted 14/07/2010 at 13:44:02

Ernie
Ridiculous is exactly what it is!
Ste Blundell
19   Posted 14/07/2010 at 13:44:29

Cahill is his best man, he wouldn't have been able to do it earlier I suppose, what with the World Cup and all.
Craig Taylor
20   Posted 14/07/2010 at 13:37:35

Wiki says that him and Lorena are married. So I would say he probably isn't.

He hasn't tweeted anything about it.
James Cadwaladr
21   Posted 14/07/2010 at 13:45:41

Thanks Ernie, at least that is cleared up. There are an awful lot of references to his wife on the internet so I was quite concerned. Here's hoping.

Oh, another note, what do people make of the gaffer's comments that Pienaar is not for sale ? True or a repeat of Lescott?
Ernie Baywood
22   Posted 14/07/2010 at 13:53:29

Brendan ? hopefully there's nothing in it but he's just unexpectedly left an overseas tour at short notice.

It's nowhere near ridiculous.
Mike Green
23   Posted 14/07/2010 at 15:48:31

The guy can get married when the fuck he likes. Next.
James Flynn
24   Posted 14/07/2010 at 16:12:27

Mike (23) - I'd add "Arteta, I saw a picture of your betrothed. You lucky bastard"!
Mike Green
25   Posted 14/07/2010 at 16:14:11

Damn right James! "You want to get married, love? Whenever you want ? just name the day... no problem, I'll sort it if there's something in the diary..." is how I imagine the conversation went.
Dennis Stevens
26   Posted 14/07/2010 at 16:33:11

It does seem odd to be getting married in World Cup Finals year ? the only sensible exception being if you get married before or at the tournament & then spend the honeymoon watching all the matches!
Fred Kwong
27   Posted 14/07/2010 at 17:13:36

Agree with Ste(19), reading from somewhere that Timmy will be his best man. So that doesn't make sense to schedule it during the World Cup, and missing his best man for the date.
James Flynn
28   Posted 14/07/2010 at 17:14:02

Dennis (26) - Mikel spending a honeymoon with that living doll watching sports on television signals the end of the Latin Lover stereotype forever.
Rob Magee
29   Posted 14/07/2010 at 17:31:32

Its obvious that he still held slight hope of being selected for the world cup, and didn't want to do a Brian Labone and miss his country's first world cup win for his wedding. As for the publicity about the Melbourne game i imagine it was a ploy to sell tickets.
Ajay Gopal
30   Posted 14/07/2010 at 17:39:43

Anybody hear about Johnny's wedding? (It was being mentioned by the commentator just before the Finals.)
Brendan McLaughlin
31   Posted 14/07/2010 at 18:02:53

Yes Ajay.
Apparently Johnny's wedding is in Barcelona & he's taken the unusal step of hiring a bicycle rather than a limousine to get there.
Albert Perkins
32   Posted 14/07/2010 at 18:42:24

I think it's only reasonable that you attend your own wedding.
Dennis Stevens
33   Posted 14/07/2010 at 19:30:53

Good point, James. Anyway, I can't talk as I got married on League Cup Final day - mind you it was ManUre v RS so I wasn't really arsed!
Peter Laing
34   Posted 14/07/2010 at 21:11:44

What Mikel wants Mikel gets, remember the period of rehab that Everton affored to Arteta following his serious knee injury which he spent in Spain recuperating and ended up with a post-operative complication. I'm glad that David Moyes is now showing the credentials in man-management needed in dealing with superstars. Good luck to Arteta, let's hope he reciprocates and shows some loyalty to Everton in the coming weeks.
Guy Hastings
35   Posted 14/07/2010 at 21:07:58

I got married on a Friday. That seemed like a smart idea. My first wedding anniversary? Everton vs Shite in the second M'side Cup Final. We get to 2-2 and I'm destined for a night of Stella oblivion with the lads. Ian Rush saved my marriage. Still not sure whether to thank him or not...
Albert Perkins
36   Posted 14/07/2010 at 22:18:39

I went to all of my marriages. Seems like I've only been faithful to EFC.

Wonder why I can put up with the amazing highs, struggles, disappointments, anxiety, excitement and all with Everton for most of my life, but can't with women.

Must be unqualified love.
Phil Rimmer
37   Posted 14/07/2010 at 22:45:58

Very fishy if you ask me.

Why would a player set his wedding date when he would have had a good idea when pre-season training would commence?

If he is getting hitched then why would Moyes have made him travel 24 hours to Oz to feature in one match and then leave to return to Europe?

Ernie Baywood
38   Posted 14/07/2010 at 23:58:24

People are posting here without any consideration of the facts.

It's a fact that he is getting married and it's been common knowledge for months. He and Tim were always going to leave the tour early - there's just no story there.

People pointing at this long journey to Oz are naive - it's not like he had to travel to the moon and back - it's a simple trip. I've done a return trip over a weekend in standard class and it's a breeze. 24 hours in business class would be great. Eat, drink, watch TV.

The only unusual thing is that he was always set to leave after the Melbourne game and right up to the day before he was interviewed about the game (audio link provided earlier in the thread). 12 hours later he's been given permission to leave early.

Probably nothing in it. Maybe he was doing his bit to help ticket sales in Melbourne or maybe his wife was putting pressure on him to help out and Moyes thought it was fair for him to go. Or maybe there's been a development and he wants to sort it out prior to his wedding.
Fran Mitchell
39   Posted 15/07/2010 at 00:49:05

Phil Rimmer ? "The likelihood, as much as we hope it isn't, is that Barca or Real Madrid are probably trying to agree terms with him."

Barca or Real? fraid not, if it was a Spanish team then Valencia, Athletico and Co but not Barca or Real. He aint better than Kaka, Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas.

He got the main part of the tour done, training and marketing, now he has wedding with bessy mate Alonso back from World Cup duty. All finished to start the real pre-season training when everyone is back at Finch Farm.
Brendan O'Doherty
40   Posted 15/07/2010 at 01:36:07

Guy Hastings - "Ian Rush saved my marriage."

Fantastic. I'm still trying to get over that day myself, but now that I know some good came out of it I can begin to feel a bit better about it!

Still can't forgive the moustachioed one though..
Pat Finegan
41   Posted 15/07/2010 at 02:57:44

What the heck, Arteta?! Ever heard of Skype?!
Chris Briddon
42   Posted 15/07/2010 at 14:35:10

Craig (20) - Apparently the twitter account is a fake.