Phil Neville - Everton Ambassador

I stumbled across the this link to a live chat that Phil Neville, hosted with Ozzie supporters yesterday via the Herald Sun.

Phil comes across as a true gent and a great ambassador for our club. I must admit that I doubted the wisdom of taking the squad to Australia but now that I see the interest in the local media and in some cases the passion that our presence is generating, I see the benefits.

The questions in the chat are quite varied and the key nugget of information that I took out of it is that Phil sees Rodwell as a future attacking midfielder rather than defensive or a centre back. I wish we have access to the players' thoughts like this on a more regular basis. COYB!

Glen Anderson, Huyton     Posted 14/07/2010 at 10:12:52

Comments

James Stewart
1   Posted 14/07/2010 at 13:43:01

Just a shame our 3rd choice RB is captain.
James Stewart
2   Posted 14/07/2010 at 13:47:10

"I aim to play for at least another four years. I feel fit and I am enjoying it ? as long as that is the case I will continue to play."

That really is concerning....
Mike Dillon
3   Posted 14/07/2010 at 13:53:00

I think the best part of that link is not the actual chat, but our description as "Premier League giants".
James Flynn
4   Posted 14/07/2010 at 13:55:38

James - Phil spent some time at the Galaxy facility while vacationing. Arena has always, always, liked an old-timer defenseman with big club experience to pair with American youngsters in the back.

Looks like Phil was making himself visible. With the EPL being as tough as it is, the way DM is stacking talent, and Phil advancing in age, I'd take his, "at least another four years" comments as playing somewhere on the planet earth, not necessarily EFC.

That said, why not Southern California for Arena?
Iain Love
5   Posted 14/07/2010 at 14:22:24

Said it before... he's our next manager.
Brian Garside
6   Posted 15/07/2010 at 01:09:47

Did he by chance mention that he is a Man U supporter?
Michael Tracey
7   Posted 15/07/2010 at 01:54:57

Who cares if he is a Man Utd fan? What difference does it make? He did say that the Merseyside Derby was the biggest derby and that playing and beating Man Utd is what he loves. He is a great ambassador for the club.
Dickie Price
8   Posted 15/07/2010 at 09:32:00

I agree, Michael; Phil is a great ambassador for the club. Yes, he supports Manchester United, but you can tell that he now loves Everton too.

As for those that criticise his playing abilities, I doubt he would have made some of the mistakes that Glen Johnson was guilty of at the World Cup.
Matthew Mackey
9   Posted 15/07/2010 at 11:39:35

Dickie Price; Your last comment is spot on. That fucking freak from the dark side was an embarrassment for England at full back.

Our Phil may not be the greatest defender in the world, he may not be the fastest, but he IS a good all-round player who gives 100% to the cause, is honest as the day is long, and will never intentionally let you down. And I agree with someone else's comment that he could be future management material.

Oh and by the way, who cares if he supports Man Utd? My brother-in-law is a die hard Villa fan, but I still love him.

John Campbell