Missing a Trick

Just showing the new pink kit on the website to the lad's girlfriend and the women's away kit shows the men's one!!!! Now I would not wear the pink outfit but lots of girls will, unless it's shown as a man's fit.

FFS, we're skint and need all the money we can, yet something so simple is missed / cocked up. Now I spotted that, I wonder what else we are cocking up on... suggestions please, and can Mr Kenrick please pass them on.
Iain Love, Warrington     Posted 15/07/2010 at 16:31:57

Comments

Karl Masters
1   Posted 15/07/2010 at 17:42:28

Why wouldn't you wear the pink?

Dan Parker
2   Posted 15/07/2010 at 18:16:39

Should get the pink shirt with 'I Love' on the back!
Christopher Banasko
3   Posted 15/07/2010 at 19:00:05

To be honest, the whole pink kit thing is beyond me. I can only presume that the inspiration behind it came from the pink limited edition that was out a couple of years ago. If that is the case, why didn't EFC release it as part of breast cancer research? By doing so would raise money for a good charity but also shut opposing fans up when they laugh... which they are going to.
Richard Harris
4   Posted 15/07/2010 at 19:14:45

Wear the pink and be proud!!! Let's face it, opposition fans have been laughing at us for years with some of the performances on the pitch so we should be immune to their 'witticisms'...
Brendan O'Doherty
5   Posted 15/07/2010 at 20:04:45

Yes the OS is a joke.

The Wolfsburg friendly on 7 August is on the fixtures list as a home game.
Andy Codling
6   Posted 15/07/2010 at 21:04:31

Roll on the season and people can get back to moaning about Hibbert.
Jay Woods
7   Posted 15/07/2010 at 22:05:50

@ Christopher Banasko: If you knew our history re the pink kit... Go on, do some research!
Dennis Stevens
8   Posted 15/07/2010 at 22:14:12

The cock-up re the pink kit is that it isn't a salmon pink kit to celebrate the 120th anniversary of our first Championship-winning season of 1890-91 ? perhaps the Club weren't aware!?
Gary Tudor
9   Posted 15/07/2010 at 22:42:50

Dennis that is unbelievable!

Would you be prepared to point this fact out to the club? The reply would be worth reading ? if you got one!

It's a nightmare for a business the size of Everton's to be so commercialy inept. It's plain incompetence, people should be held to account.

I would give my right arm to work at Goodison I'd love to help make a difference. How many 10/11 shirts did they take to Aus? They have so many revenue streams and do not exploit them fully.
Martin Berry
10   Posted 15/07/2010 at 23:17:04

I have not seen one pink kit around Merseyside so that has to say something. We need dosh so why bring out a kit that no one wants to wear.?
Sean McCarthy
11   Posted 16/07/2010 at 00:26:05

Martin, you best get yourself to specsavers!! There's plenty of kids out and about in the pink shirt. I actually think we have bigger and more important things to worry about! If it becomes a big hit with younger supporters then surely that can only be a good thing???

Oh yes, I forgot... we have to look for the bad in everything the club does... Lighten up!!!! If you don't like the pink kit (and I don't) then don't buy it. Plenty of others will.

Mike Allison
12   Posted 16/07/2010 at 08:56:27

What have people got against pink? I'm genuinely mystified. Is it because its a "girl's colour"? Or do you think it is in some way connected to homosexuality? If that's all it is, then, Jesus Fucking Christ, grow up the lot of you, bunch of pathetic, insecure dinosaurs.

Otherwise, someone give me a better reason.
Iain Love
13   Posted 16/07/2010 at 10:15:21

Mike 12, nothing against the pink kit, it's just another cock-up that could easily be rectified and increase revenue,
Sean 11, as for bigger things to worry about, some car bloke once said "Don't give me 1 thing to make us 1000 times better, give me 1000 things that each make us 1% better." So I believe that we should "concentrate on the little things and the big things will look after themselves"... ie the Gosling affair for one.
Mike Allison
14   Posted 16/07/2010 at 11:15:57

Sorry, Iain, I get that from your post but Christopher (3) is symptomatic of a lot of the reaction I've read to it and it seems totally bizarre to me.

As for not wearing pink, I don't have any figures but high street shops have been selling pink to men pretty well for the last few years.
Guy Wilkinson
15   Posted 16/07/2010 at 13:19:55

I do agree with 1 part of Chris @3 ? that is the potential breast cancer tie-in.

If a small sum from the sale of each shirt was earmarked for breast cancer charities, I think it would have gained mucho kudos and raised profile and possibly even increased sales.

Similar to the Unicef job @ Barca. Paints us as "more than a club".
Dan Parker
16   Posted 16/07/2010 at 16:14:43

Mike, that rant came from nothing. I don't see any suggestions from anyone's posts that are bad. Lighten up!
Eugene Ruane
17   Posted 16/07/2010 at 16:56:30

Here's the A or B choice business choice Everton had (and have EVERY away-shirt change).

A) Amber - which will be lapped up by traditionalists AND none-traditionalists.

B) Twatty - which will only be bought by none traditionalists (and the 'hard of seeing').

Cue Everton FC (and Fr Dougal) "Er..............B!"

Imagine the complete.... FUCKING THICKNESS involved in reaching that decision.

The staggering level of bovine, doltish, fuck-wittedness.

And none of it 'naked to the human eye' because the decisions are made by (roll on the drums) people wearing trousers made of the same material as their jackets.

NEVER underestimate the power of an idiot in a nice suit - world's are turned by such pricks.

Jesus, it's like having 50000 people stuck in a desert and you have the choice of selling them water or tomato sauce.

I fucking know what our boys in grey would be attempting to flog.

Still, Bill's a blue and Elstone has a nice smile and is 'personable'.

And so it goes on this thing of ours.

Mike Green
18   Posted 16/07/2010 at 18:05:19

You know what they say ? there's no such thing as bad publicity. That little pink number has got everyone here talking if nothing else.

A mate of mine told me it'd been voted worst kit for 2010-11 so at least it's won something. What cracked me up is LFC's new home kit came 2nd!

At least the home kits simple and a bit classic ? haven't heard much praise to the club for that one but... oh, no... of course... we don't do that on here do we.

COYB. And P's when were not at GP.
Mike Allison
19   Posted 16/07/2010 at 18:02:41

I suppose the content that's got me annoyed has been in other threads, but the OP, Christopher and I think you in post 2 (although I'm not sure what your post means) are all negative about it. Eugene has thankfully provided me with a bit more of an example (and I'm not sure mine counts as a rant anymore after that...) and there are lots of people moaning about it.

Yeah, if you asked me to design Everton's away kit you'd get an amber shirt and royal blue shorts and socks, but I don't see why so many people are so upset by the colour pink, the reaction gives a negative impression of our fanbase.

Eventually we'll get an amber away kit and it'll sell massively, in part because we haven't had one for ages. Does anyone have any evidence that some shirts have sold way more than others? I think it tends to even out anyway. Let's say the 'kit buyers' leave the neon pink well alone this year because they don't like it, they'll be more likely to buy next year's in greater numbers anyway.
Karl Masters
20   Posted 16/07/2010 at 18:16:32

Eugene Ruane:

A bit OTT there. Just because you are having a love-in with Amber, don't assume eveybody else does. I grew up in the 70s, but I didn't like it much then and I don't particularly want it back now.

IMHO, the Club have got it about right this year. Home kit is simple and will appeal to traditionalists primarily, whilst the Away kit is something a bit different to other clubs and will appeal to the younger fans and females primarily. It is also something the the considerable number of Evertonians who we all know who revel in saying, 'We are not like the rest of the EPL, we are Everton, we are special!'

People moaned about Umbro because of identikits, then they moaned about Puma (justifiably so as all their kits were crap bar the 2002-03 home one) and now it's Le Coq Sportif's turn. We could have Adidas like Macclesfield or Nike like Ayr United, but we'd get their identikits and bugger all for wearing them, in which case the moaning would start again.

I like both the kits this season.
Brendan O'Doherty
21   Posted 16/07/2010 at 19:14:43

Mike Green ? good point about the new home shirt. It looks great.

Having seen the new away shirt being worn in the Sydney game, it's not so bad with the black shorts and socks. But I'm dreading when we have to wear the whole kit with pink shorts and socks as well...
Eugene Ruane
22   Posted 17/07/2010 at 00:05:47

Sorry, I obviously didn't make myself clear.

Erm... IT'S FUCKING PINK!!!!

PINK!!

A PINK Everton shirt.

You have to remember, pink isn't blue or Amber or gold or green or black, it's... fucking PINK!!

A 'love-in with Amber'!?

It's fucking pink!

'Taste' is a bit like a sense of humor or a creative mind ? nobody ever admits to being devoid of these attributes, yet the world around us says they must be.

Exhibit A, a PINK Everton kit.
Karl Masters
23   Posted 17/07/2010 at 01:02:40

Why so narrow minded, Eugene?

Just because you have a phobia about Pink football shirts, why should the rest of us?

Clearly there is more to this than meets the eye. On the face of it, it's a narrow minded 'arl arse football fan who likes it 'the traditional way it used to be' when Dixie could head a ball denser than a piece of concrete into the Gwladys Street goal from halfway across Stanley Park, but perhaps not?

Maybe you secretly like it, but can't confess... have you been trying a pink shirt on in your bedroom with the curtains drawn?

Methinks you doth protest too much! :)
Eugene Ruane
24   Posted 17/07/2010 at 09:04:05

Karl, 'methinks' you should not use 'methinks you doth protest too much' unless you're Alan Partridge.

And by the way, what is 'too much'?

Maybe I have not protested enough.

Maybe I have protested just the right amount.

And why do you call it a 'phobia' when it is simply an aggressive dislike of Everton being forced to play in a kit that is basically pale red?

I don't fear pink, I simply hate pink - there's a difference.

You accuse me of being narrow-minded.

Not at all, my mind is incredibly open BUT (and here's the key) it is discerning.

It is not open to ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING.

It chooses, it selects, it questions.

What it doesn't do is say "I quite like it" about anything that has an Everton badge stuck on it

Oh by the way, it is not just pink we're talking about, it's FUCKING LUMINOUS pink.
Mike Green
25   Posted 17/07/2010 at 10:23:54

Bill Gates... Donald Trump... Richard Branson... Eugene Ruane...
Karl Masters
26   Posted 17/07/2010 at 17:21:08

So, at last we have the real reason you don't like it, Eugene.

In your discerning mind, you see luminous pink as pale red. White mixed with red makes pink. I suppose it's one way of looking at it, although not one I'd choose.

Isn't Amber made from mixing yellow and a bit of orange? Isn't orange made from yellow and red? Oh my God, we played in a colour that had red in it!

At the end of the day, you hate it because you read far too much into it (in my opinion) whilst I like it because I like to see something a bit different (and I don't look at it and see the devil and Stevie G laughing at me which is the impression you give) and I like the combination with the navy blue. Life's about opinions and luckily we can have differing ones and still get on ? I hope!

I think you'll find that David Moyes asked for a colour to stand out in the players' peripheral vision, especially in matches played in the dark.
Richard Reeves
27   Posted 17/07/2010 at 18:10:24

The Away kit is cool and with the times although it will get a few silly remarks from the old farts on MotD and opposition supporters. The home kit is the best since the two Puma kits sponsored by Keijin. I have not seen the home kit close up but looking at picture galleries it looks like it's got some kind of gold, amber or yellow material around the back of the neck which I don't like but overall I would have to say this is the first time in a long time where both our kits are top draw.

Let's just hope that, when our contract with Le Coq runs out, we don't go back to predictable, boring Umbro. Le Coq, Puma, Nike, Adidas or Kappa... yes, but, please, no more Umbro.

John Daley
28   Posted 17/07/2010 at 20:38:11

The problem with the pink kit is not that it's a "girls'" colour, it's that it's shite. A couple of seasons ago, Newcastle had a horrific garish away shirt that everyone took the piss out of. This season, that much-derided kit belongs to Everton.

It's been deliberately designed to be 'different' and to stand out from the crowd. It's like a 50-year-old bloke trying to be trendy and decking himself out in clobber people half his age wouldn't get away with. It stinks of trying much too hard to be trendy. There is a reason no other club has a kit like our revolutionary new away strip: any other club would have said, "Are you taking the piss?" and told the designers to get back to the bloody drawing board.

Home kit's pretty good, though!
Iain Love
29   Posted 17/07/2010 at 21:27:30

Original point: Do we know anyway that a simple quick fix could improve our revenue?
Eugene Ruane
30   Posted 19/07/2010 at 02:01:10

Iain.

Yes, dye the pink strip amber, sell twice as many shirts, result - twice the revenue.

Karl (and anyone else who thinks the pink kit is 'cool') it's like Dean Martin said (well..sung) in the film Robin And The Seven Hoods ? 'You've either got or you haven't got style.'