Members:   Log In Sign Up

Everton's Medical Team

The Club has had some recent bad press for off-the-field activities, and some of it warranted, but I just wanted to pick up on something I read whilst scanning the Sunday papers online.

Andrew Johnson has apparently had a "break down" in pre-season training with Fulham. He was recovering from a knee injury that had seen him sidelined since January. He's now gone to see Richard Steadman (who must have made so much money out of footballers) in a bid to solve what is apparently a long-standing problem with his knee.

I know some supporters didn't rate Johnson particularly, but it was something of a surprise when he was sold, albeit we got good money for him.

Begs the question: did the Blues medical team spot a problem, that perhaps wasn't detected during the medical when we signed him from Crystal Palace? I don't recall his knee being mentioned ? it was always hamstring problems?
Matt Traynor, Singapore     Posted 18/07/2010 at 11:18:00

Comments

James Cadwaladr
1   Posted 18/07/2010 at 15:07:12

I dont care! He left a long time ago now. I don't think his departure had anything to do with injuries, he clearly wanted to be back in London and, as much as he ran his socks off, he wasn't really cutting it in the end. He was also nearly certainly sold as a makeweight for some much needed transfer funds.
Brian Waring
2   Posted 18/07/2010 at 15:56:41

Going had nothing to do with injuries. Probably had more to do with him being asked to run round like a headless chicken chasing hoofballs all game.
Karl Masters
3   Posted 18/07/2010 at 16:14:25

I don't think he wanted to leave. I saw him and his son dressed in an Everton junior kit at the Man Utd semi at Wembley. Shows he feels something for the Club and I also recall him storming off at Preston before a pre-season friendly in 2008 when told he was going to be allowed to go.

As for Matt's point. Quite possible. Just think of Michael Ball which looks a similar case. To get an extra £2.3m over what we paid was also very good business really and just about everybody that leaves Everton seems to see their career go backwards so you have to wonder.

I liked AJ though and will always wish him well.
Ian McDowell
4   Posted 18/07/2010 at 16:19:16

We certainly got rid at the right time, I remeber him having a knee injury... I'm not sure if it was with us or Palace though.

AJ worked hard and ran his socks off but I thought he had a poor first touch and just wasn't good enough. I certainly wish him all the best and thank him for his goals against the RS.
Brendan O'Doherty
5   Posted 18/07/2010 at 17:38:15

"I also recall him storming off at Preston before a pre-season friendly in 2008 when told he was going to be allowed to go"

Karl - Surely he 'stormed off' because he had been told he was NOT being allowed to go? Then, of course, the club relented and he got his way.

Or maybe this was more spin from the club via the media.
Richard Reeves
6   Posted 18/07/2010 at 17:48:46

I would probably want to leave a club if I had to constantly chase balls towards the corner flag. Anyway, we got a good price for him, which is something we have not done too much of in the past.
Andy Morden
7   Posted 18/07/2010 at 18:32:43

I remember at the time of the sale there were some rumblings about Fulham haggling over the fee due to an old knee injury, but that doesn't mean much ? that could be a team playing hardball over the fee. Like we did when we negotiated the deal with Wolves for Lescott...

AJ had great pace which was a useful weapon sometimes and I have always thought it no coincidence that Yakubu's best goal-scoring spell coincided with having AJ to do a lot of his running, so to speak. However, AJ was not an intelligent forward and relied on his pace.

I always recall one game in Europe when we had broke on our opponents. AJ was on the blind side of his defender and (I think) McFadden was looking to pull the ball back across the six-yard line from the byline. What did AJ do? He ran right next to his defender, essentially doing his job for him. No awareness or timing at all. He had acres of space and just needed to hang back. Chance gone. You know if it was the Yak or Saha they'd have been in the space....

Lester Yip
8   Posted 18/07/2010 at 23:44:30

AJ always reminds me of the game that we beat the Red Shitte! His work rate is second to none. Just as Andy suggested, his partnering forward will love to play with him as he always made runs off the ball and created space for others. I liked him wearing the blue shirt but over £10m was an offer too good to turn down.

All the best AJ, hope you get well soon.
Gavin Ramejkis
9   Posted 19/07/2010 at 13:59:27

Karl, we saw AJ outside Wembley with his boys in Everton kits with their dad's name on them, a few lads asked him straight and he said he didn't want to leave and missed the club. AJ was wasted by a piss poor midfield being underused by hoofballs from the defence into the corner flag, pointless having a fast player running away from the goal just to get the ball back.
Alan Clarke
10   Posted 19/07/2010 at 14:17:45

His knee injury is probably because of Everton's sub-standard approach to rehabilitation in the past. Something Moyes has now recognised in sacking 'Baz'.
Iain Love
11   Posted 19/07/2010 at 16:39:53

What's happening now 'Baz' has gone... anybody know?
Tony J Williams
12   Posted 19/07/2010 at 17:01:34

Iain, now that dastardly Baz has gone, everyone has had a miraculous recovery from their injuries. That man was the Devil don'tchaknow?
Karl Masters
13   Posted 19/07/2010 at 18:27:46

Thanks Gavin.

I knew he was still an Evertonian at heart.
Duncan McDine
14   Posted 20/07/2010 at 09:27:52

AJ single-handidly tore teams apart at times for us. His pace was blistering, and until Wenger ruined his career with us (the diving nonsense), he was one of the best strikers I've ever seen.

We all remember how poor his form was in his last season with us. I don't think that was down to an injury of any kind though... just a lack of confidence. Remember the 8 penalties we should have had in the season 'Shithouse Wenger' labeled him a cheat? That would get to the best of us.
Art Jones
15   Posted 20/07/2010 at 13:23:16

If you remember correctly the deal took longer to go through than many expected because Al Fayed brought his own personal physician in to conduct the medical. It was presumed that he'd claimed to have found evidence of an 'old knee injury' because Fulham didn't want to pay the price Everton demanded... it looks now that maybe he was right.