Jeffers to Blackpool

So Jeffers moves on again. Has ever a player's career on down the drain as badly after leaving Everton?

In fact, with hindsight I think it's the best bit of business ever done by an Everton manager. I can't believe that I was actually angry when he was sold. Arsene Wenger was well and truly mugged.

Andy Crooks, Belfast     Posted 20/07/2010 at 10:15:01

Comments

Gareth Humphreys
1   Posted 20/07/2010 at 14:50:46

The strange thing was that no-one was surprised at the fee he went for. He was banging them in the season before he left and looked the real deal. Him and Kevin Campbell were superb together.

I was speaking to a guy I work with who was one of the sponsors at Sheff Wed and he went for a meal with Jeffers who was quite frank in saying that he no longer enjoyed the game. Very odd.

Dave Lynch
2   Posted 20/07/2010 at 14:59:28

He no longer enjoys the game, Gareth, because he's shite!
Gary Creaney
3   Posted 20/07/2010 at 15:42:21

In an interview before he returned to us for a second stint, he openly admitted that it was a mistake to leave Everton.

Other than Rooney, has anyone recently moved from Everton to greener grass? Materazzi maybe but he didn't really have an impact for us in the first place.

Stan Sheppard
4   Posted 20/07/2010 at 15:53:33

Gary: Oliver Dacourt?
Stan Sheppard
5   Posted 20/07/2010 at 15:57:02

I think its a shame what happened to Franny. Yes there weren't too many tears shed by Evertonians when his career went down the pan but, as Gareth rightly said, he did look the real deal at one point.

On a side note, I see on SSN earlier that Gosling is close to signing for Newcastle. I take it our appeal for a transfer fee/compensation either failed or never took place.
Tony McNulty
6   Posted 20/07/2010 at 16:08:03

Stan

Re. your side note if we haven?t appealed I suspect it?s because the lawyers told us we didn?t have a leg to stand on.

When you consider how hard-up we appear to be, that is some royal fuck-up.
Mark Stone
7   Posted 20/07/2010 at 16:09:59

I don't think he has signed for Blackpool yet! But if he does, Andy, this is a move back into the Premier League so it would surely be indicative of a step forward ? not another one backwards ? for Jeffers! Not sure how his 5 goals in 3 years for Sheffield Wednesday warrant it, mind...
Mike McLean
8   Posted 20/07/2010 at 16:15:28

"Jeffers banging them in" ... got a feeling that the season he left us he scored seven in total.

Result for us. Wenger mugged.
Ian McDowell
9   Posted 20/07/2010 at 16:14:21

Hope he signs for Blackpool so we get the chance to boo him next season.
Dan Parker
10   Posted 20/07/2010 at 16:23:04

Yes, just as Wenger was equally laughing as much when he got all his money back by selling us Richard Wright!!
Mike Allison
11   Posted 20/07/2010 at 16:31:51

Jeffers was absolutely class when he came through. His intelligence (footballing!) and movement off the ball were genuinely world class. I've no idea what went wrong, I guess it just goes to show how important the mental side of the game is.

Stan, on your side note, I don't think anything's decided, and there was one report that said Newcastle were the only club willing to sign Gosling knowing they may have to pay £4M. As far as I know there's still technically a chance we'll get the money, but personally speaking I'd say the chances were less than 10%.
Fran Mitchell
12   Posted 20/07/2010 at 16:57:28

A brilliant young player. 20 goals in 60 (inc subs) games in a very poor team. His reading of the game was great, class touch and a very good finisher. 13 international u21 goals.

He should have been great. He should have been at the World Cup this year. He had something about him, but when he returned 2 years later he had evidently lost that something.

Injuries played their part, as did I'm sure the London nightlife and probably (speculation on my part) use of cocaine and other such drugs. But it shows how important it is for a player at 20/21 years of age to be playing regularly.

I'm sure he would have made a lot more money if he stayed with us.

On the sidenote: i'm sure this has been discussed quite enough already.
Andy Codling
13   Posted 20/07/2010 at 17:34:09

What went wrong was the fact that he was an arrogant little twat , who would prefer to get pissed and act like a wanker, too many scumbags like this in the game, like Joey Barton who it would seem can do what the fuck he likes and still get paid thousands of pounds a week.
Jeffers believed his own hype and wanted out and it was the worst decision he ever made, hope it goes badly wrong for him, Prick
Peter Warren
14   Posted 20/07/2010 at 17:41:24

I don't quite think it's the best piece of business ever done by an Everton Manager but catch your point Andy.

Totally agree with Dan (post 10), Wright was a terrible terrible signing.
David Hallwood
15   Posted 20/07/2010 at 18:07:28

I was clearing out some videos last yea, and came across an old MotD and we beat Charlton 4-1, and Jeffers was superb, his running off the ball, with the ball, ball control... he had everything. Crying shame; total waste of talent.
Andy Crooks
16   Posted 20/07/2010 at 18:26:32

Peter, I agree with you and Dan re. Wright. I'd actually forgotten that Wenger mugged us in return. As a matter of interest what do you think the best bit of outgoing transfer business has been by an Everton manager?
Alan Kirwin
17   Posted 20/07/2010 at 18:31:37

It was a waste and, sadly, Jeffers himself wasted it. He developed the same arrogant streak that many young blokes develop & nobody could tell him otherwise. Sad.

Those reflecting that he was rubbish are blind. He scored goals, some of them brilliant, and had a good footballing brain. He even scored on his one & only England start.

Thing is, his lack of enjoyment shows in his play. He should pack it in and do something else. Drawing a salary of that size for something you really don't want to do is pointless.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. When he went, almost every Evertonian was upset about it. He seemed to go for the right reasons because he turned down Newcastle before Arsenal came in for him. But it's all history. He's somebody else's player now.
Roberto Birquet
18   Posted 20/07/2010 at 18:32:26

"Peter, I agree with you and Dan re. Wright. I'd actually forgotten that Wenger mugged us in return."
---
We got £8 million, they got £3 m. So we were up; although I'm not including that Stephen Hughes. S'ppose it all evens out.

But I still think it a great shame the Jeffers implosion. He's way richer than me, and I should not feel sorry for the wanker, but a real waste. At one point, he and Campbell were the hottest combo in the Prem: our one real bright spot. That was why so many of us felt let down when he went.

A lesson to a player, even if it's worth moving to a club that is challenging, it is worth getting the timing right. Other wastes, though not so evident for me include SWP at City, always goes to the money and warms the bench. He has gone backwards, and is not good enough for England. Amazed he went to SA.

Here's hoping we are challenging properly by the time Rodwell thinks it's time.
Gareth Morgan
19   Posted 20/07/2010 at 18:35:10

Andy post 16. Lescott to City.
Richard Reeves
20   Posted 20/07/2010 at 18:19:43

There's no doubt that Jeffers did have everything. In fact, I was telling friends he'll be better than Owen... (Didn't I look the fool?) I think where it all went wrong was in his head and who knows what would've happened if he had stayed? it surely couldn't've got any worse for him. At the time, I felt that he turned his back on us and wasn't bothered about fans' opinions, like a rat leaving a half-sinking ship.,
Ian Bennett
21   Posted 20/07/2010 at 19:13:03

I really thought he would be our Rush of the decade. How wrong I was.

Goes to show from a player's perspective you have a right and wrong time to move. He moved early and made millions out of it ? but could have been a massive massive star. He also says Everton helped push him out, which I can believe.

I also guess physically he wasn't up to it either.
Luke Berry
22   Posted 20/07/2010 at 19:01:16

Speculation regarding Jeffers... the lad had a problem with drugs, plain and simple. I don't happen to be talking through my arse on this point either. I know two of his cousins who assure me the reason why he never fulfilled his potential was because he went to a large city with no real support from the club he joined and eventually succumbed to drink and drugs, ending up with him using them as a crutch.

Franny is not the arrogant twat that another poster has pointed out so eloquently (somebody who obviously knows him and his family very well); he was deeply upset at leaving Everton and never really recovered from it.

Regarding his reasons for leaving. Well, firstly.,Everton did make a fortune off him... and, secondly, all was not right behind the scenes with regards to the Manager and trainer. Their training ground technique left a lot to be desired and Franny was at loggerheads with them both.
Then there is the fact that the club was in financial dire straits, certain bonuses were not being paid, and this fact ? coupled with a distinct lack of an arm around the shoulder ? left Franny feeling disenchanted.

He genuinely loved EFC, this I know to be a fact. However, I kind of agree with another poster who said that he should pack the game in; he offers no value for money to the fans he plays in front of but anyone else, especially knobs who say we should boo him on his return to Goodison, should think about holding your tongue unless you know the facts.....

Which now you do.

Andy Crooks
23   Posted 20/07/2010 at 19:42:25

Interesting comments, Luke. Gareth, yes the sale of Lescott wins. However , we should really discount Man City as they will deservedly become the most ripped off club in the history of football.
Brendan O'Doherty
24   Posted 20/07/2010 at 19:34:11

Andy (#13)

Here are 2 of the more bizarre quotes today:

Joey Barton - "I think that on form, I'm as good as anybody in this country." ? No further comment needed.

Woy the Wed (on Gerrard's apparent pledge to stay) ? "It's a great piece of news. There won't be anyone in Liverpool today who isn't delighted to hear that."

YES THERE WILL, WOY! Don't tell me we are going to have to explain to this mecca of football knowledge that there are TWO clubs in the city, one of which is the bastard offspring of the other...
Dan Parker
25   Posted 20/07/2010 at 20:10:05

I remember watching Everton v Fulham when I lived in London and Fulham were playing at QPR's ground. It was when Jeffers was back on loan and he got subbed with about 10 mins to go if I remember correctly.

My Brother and I went to the pub after and the scrote beat us in there, he was swigging alcopops back like there was no tomorrow.
Steve Pugh
26   Posted 20/07/2010 at 20:08:39

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Gerrard play his best just behind a lone striker, and if you start him anywhere else he just moves inside anyway. And doesn't Cole play his best just behind a lone striker, and if you start him anywhere else he just moves inside anyway.

I can see a clash of personalities brewing.
Brendan O'Doherty
27   Posted 20/07/2010 at 20:17:43

Unfortunately SSN are reporting that the FSW is in for Pienaar.

A final attempt to stick the knife in perhaps?
Phil Roberts
28   Posted 20/07/2010 at 20:53:36

Just to put the Jeffers in perspective.

I remember that Charlton Match on MotD (April 1999) and Hansen was in raptures about him. Yes, he was Michael Branch with a football brain and that was what excited me about Jeffers. He could play and he knew what to do. So many others could run and kick but had no idea where to be. For Jeffers, it was natural.

Amazingly he started only 16 matches the next season, 10 the year after and then he was off. Injuries if I remember. So 9 seasons later, he has probably earnt around £15m at least. So a wasted talent has only earnt £15m....Over a 40-year working life, that is £375,000 per year. OK so anyone on here done that? Thought not.
Andrew Presly
29   Posted 20/07/2010 at 21:01:38

Dan (23) - I saw him in there that day too. Must have been The Walkabout in Shepherd's Bush.

Remember being impressed (in a way) that he got to the pub before me and my mates. The only quality on show that freezing cold day came from Messrs Rooney & Saha.... might have been a cup game we lost 2-1?

Anyway, Jeffers had his chance to make amends for us and sadly he bleeeeew it.
Albert Perkins
30   Posted 20/07/2010 at 21:35:09

I seem to remember that Jeffers had one of the best records in assists in the Prem. He wasn't just a goalscorer but had great vision and the ability to set others up.

Wasn't he also one of the main reasons we stayed up at that really low ebb? Like one of those butterflies that lives the beautiful life for just a few days.

Dick Anderson
31   Posted 20/07/2010 at 21:34:10

Here are some statistics. Since making their debuts for Everton here's how are current young strikers compare to Jeffers.

Francis Jeffers (1997-2001 & 03-04 Loan)
4.5 years at Everton
Goals scored 22.

James Vaughan (2004-10)
6 years at Everton so far.
Goals scored 9.

Victor Anichebe (2005-10)
5 years at Everton so far.
Goals scored 12.

Will either Vaughan or Anichebe ever reach the 20 goals for Everton mark? It looks like it might take them 10 years to do it.

Plus Jeffers broke goal scoring records for England U21 and scored on his debut for the full England side.

Jeffers may be rubbish now but he had more promise then either Vaughan or Anichebe.

If you're all saying Jeffers was rubbish what does that make Anichebe and Vaughan?
Thor Sørensen
32   Posted 20/07/2010 at 21:54:45

What?! Jeffers to Blackpool on a free? Where were you, Moyes! I really feel we've missed out big time on this one, we should've brought him back one more time. :-p
Thor Sørensen
33   Posted 20/07/2010 at 22:01:36

Young Francis Jeffers was a brilliant, skilful player. Really sad it turned out the way it did, both for him and for Everton.

Perhaps more than his goals, the one thing I remember best about him was the handbags with Westerveld in the Anfield derby in 99. Back then, that incident made quite an impression on a young Evertonian.
Dick Fearon
34   Posted 20/07/2010 at 23:09:26

Thor S (31), I also remember little Franny and Giant Westerveld having a handbags. If memory serves me right, wasn't that the same game when Gerrard GBS made his RS debut when came on as a sub and was immediately red-carded for trying to cut Super Kev in half with a waist-high kick? And we all sang, "Always look on the bright side" to the shattered red fans as they trudged home.

Ah, what a sweet memory when little Jug Ears and KC combined for the single goal.

Mike Oates
35   Posted 20/07/2010 at 23:59:07

Ray Hall - Director of Academy said of Jeffers (last Saturday commentating on Brisbane game): "he was next to Rooney the best talent this club has ever produced ? and unfortunately, the lad lost his way after leaving us."
Michael Tracey
36   Posted 21/07/2010 at 02:16:03

Gary (post 3) how about Martin Keown to Arsenal? He certainly moved on to greener pastures.
Dan Parker
37   Posted 21/07/2010 at 15:26:09

Andrew (29). Yes, I think it was the cup game and I was rather leathered in Walkabout.

Not being a season ticket holder, I had to sit with the Fulham fans which appeared to be mostly made up of tourists!

It was the days when the players used to have mass brawls on the pitch and we'd get fined all the time!
Ernie Baywood
38   Posted 23/07/2010 at 13:34:43

He could have been a top class player but his career was ruined by one bad decision.

Yet the media constantly tell me that Wenger is a genius?
Glioris Nicolaou
39   Posted 27/07/2010 at 11:11:21

I must say I do find these stories of wasted potential fascinating. Jeffers was clearly an excellent player, I saw more than one performance from him for us that I would genuinely consider world class.

I don't think he was really given a fair crack of the whip at Arsenal and his time was also plagued by injuries. I do remember when he returned to us on loan that his play was unrecognisable, already a shadow of his former self.

I have a friend who is a Sheffield Wednesday fan who says that at times he was excellent for them, but again plagued by injuries and very inconsistent.

Certainly Arsenal was a bad move for him and stunted his growth, just the same as happened to Upson and a few other young English players that have gone there chasing glory only to find themselves warming the bench for years.