Members:   Log In Sign Up

Vuvuzelas

It seems like our club have banned the vuvuzela. GOOD. What a complete cacophony that shite created at the World Cup was.

The first game of the World Cup I saw had this ungodly noise going on and at first I thought it was a swarm of ten-inch african hornets on acid getting ready to attack everyone in the stadium. What a load of rubbish. The atmosphere is created by the noise that fans make.

As a side issue, what really pissed me off about the World Cup was the fact that the politically correct media would have everyone believe that this was a fantastic World Cup. NO IT BLOODY WELL WASN'T. It was complete corporate rubbish.

For a start even Mark Bright for the (sorry turn your eyes away now) BBC remarked that the ball was like something you get from a petrol station. Of which I ask to all the stattos on TW, how many free kicks went over the wall and landed in the net. I can't remember any.

So, there are quite a few clubs including ours that are banning the vuvu. And here's the best one, it's to do with health and safety. I never thought I would ever cosy up to health and safety, but I have now...
Jon Cox, Cornwall     Posted 20/07/2010 at 17:35:43

Comments

Dennis Stevens
1   Posted 20/07/2010 at 22:31:10

It seems to me that the reaction to the vuvuzela has been a bit OTT. The first couple of matches it was a bit annoying, but after that it was just part of the background. The vuvuzela is apparently part of the culture of the host nation ? Fifa didn't have to host the Finals there if it was a significant issue. However, I'm glad it's not being made welcome at Goodison Park & elsewhere ? it's not part of our culture & I'm not distressed at the prospect of it not becoming established as such.
Dick Fearon
2   Posted 20/07/2010 at 22:18:58

Unable to get to the World Cup, I saw all games on TV. After 10 minutes of the first game, I offered a prayer of thanks to the bloke who invented the mute button.

Watching in silence brought home to me how very dire was the playing standard of most but not all games. The biggest disappointment was an absolutely dire England team. It is mind boggling to think that this bunch of clueless hopeless old farts earn a combined Billion Quid per week.

Atrocious refereeing and those blasted Vuvezolas helped make this my worst such tournament in many long years. If I was forced to endure that awful noise I simply would refuse to enter the ground. Perhaps something could have been done about banning those bugles yet South African should be proud of its stadia, pre- match presentation and scenic views that were magnificent.

Pete Keogh
3   Posted 20/07/2010 at 23:11:01

I think the Vuvuzela would be a great little thing to whip out and blow a belt out of just as Lampard, or Gerrard or any of the other not-so-big-shots were about to try impose themselves on a game at Goodison Park.

I'm sure the nightmare buried deep in their subconscious would re-surface and put them back in their little box.
Kevin Hudson
4   Posted 20/07/2010 at 23:37:39

I was in Soccer City for the World Cup opener, and the noise inside the magnificent stadium is something I will never forget. When Bafana came out it was amazing ? the hairs on the back of my neck still haven't receded!

So vuvuzelas are fantastic IMHO, but alas the whingers have got their way!

Agree with you about the Jabulani though. I've played with better 50p "fly-away's," than that!
Pat Finegan
5   Posted 21/07/2010 at 01:15:56

Would you rather hear Z-Cars or 40,000 honey bees?
Gerry Quinn
6   Posted 21/07/2010 at 15:32:41

Good decision - now all we need to do is move those bloody Sky microphones away from the travelling end and then we can hear the home support just as it should sound!
Richard Harris
7   Posted 21/07/2010 at 15:45:37

Alot of fuss about nothing from the clubs - it would be a one season novelty (if that) and then anyone taking one to a game and using it would look a twat, people would laugh and them and it would go the way of other 'hilarious' novelty items. Bring back the football rattles, I say !! Message to Dads - it's part of your cultural heritage to make your son a rattle and then paint it in club colours. If the skills are lost then maybe some of the old-timers onboard can enlighten the young-uns....
David S Shaw
8   Posted 21/07/2010 at 16:07:36

Gerry Quinn, you're right about the microphones.

Further still though, we're all still waiting for better acoustics in the Gwladys Street
Aiden Doyle
9   Posted 21/07/2010 at 16:18:53

I?d definitely go for the honey bees, Pat.

I wasn?t lucky enough to see any World Cup matches in person, but I have visited South Africa and managed to catch a match whilst I was there. I agree that the vuvuzelas can be pretty annoying on TV but, as Kevin said above, when you?re in the crowd they can create a genuinely electrifying atmosphere.

I?m not a big fan of the Z-Cars theme for that matter. I?ve never understood why heritage is so important to so many people (in general ? not just with regards to Everton), so I tend to greet the tune and all that ?If you Know your History? stuff with the same level of enthusiasm as I have for Morris Dancing.
Karl Masters
10   Posted 21/07/2010 at 18:19:58

If 7 clubs have banned them, it means that 13 haven't.

It will be interesting to see the comparative atmospheres at stadiums with and without.

My favourite ' World Cup custom ' the truly spectaculat ticker tape welcomes at Argentina '78 when the Home team played. It caught on here the following season for a while - the Andy King derby had it I remember, although nothing like the scale of Buenos Aires, and Spurs did it big time to welcome Ardiles and Villa when they signed them.

I've always thought it a shame that it disappeared. You know what. I might just bring a carrier bag full of torn up newspapers to the Wolves game in August and chuck it off the Upper Gwladys when the teams come out! I'll probably then be led away by a burly, fat steward in a green jacket and told I have contravened some Health and Safety rule and asked to leave the Stadium......
Kevin Hudson
11   Posted 21/07/2010 at 18:59:10

Yes it is interesting that the club have cited vague health & safety regulations for the spurious ban on the vuvuzela,as I never saw,or heard of,any minor injuries,or indeed fatalities caused by said instrument whilst in South Africa!

Along those lines,shouldn't they also adopt the same draconian stance towards the food served up at Goodison?!
Brendan O'Doherty
12   Posted 21/07/2010 at 19:37:11

Kevin - they're probably banned for H&S reasons because the clubs are anticipating what the supporter in the seat behind might do with said vuvuzela, if he has an aversion to them....
Gerry Quinn
13   Posted 21/07/2010 at 21:15:43

Brendan, they will find that difficult if the supporter in the front seat remains sitting! Good comment though.

I wonder what they would do if 40,000+ fans got their party noise makers out of their pockets ? you know, those ones that roll out when you blow them.

Jon Cox
14   Posted 24/07/2010 at 20:06:01

@ Karl Masters,

The threads a bit old now but. 1978 was one of the best world cups ever. One of the reasons is that it was live to us at 10.30 at night. Pure beauty.

Also it gave us one of the best footballers and goal scores ever in Mario Kempes. In terms of media when the World Cup comes along is this guy never mentioned.