Liam McCormick

"Who is Liam McCormick?" you may ask. He is the winner of Football superstars 2010 in Australia... But, best of all, an Everton fan who admited to crying when we lost the FA Cup Final.

He also won a challenge with the prize being to meet Timmy Cahill. It was excellent to see him wear the Everton Jumper proudly all the way through the competition, and winning a spot in the A league for Brisbane Roar here in Oz.
Shane  Matthews, Cairns, Australia     Posted 23/07/2010 at 04:53:49

Comments

Ryan Rosenberg
1   Posted 23/07/2010 at 13:45:29

Living in Australia I love the show and I am very pleased he won the competition and that he is a passionate toffees fan like myself, COYB
Adam McCulloch
2   Posted 23/07/2010 at 14:15:42

Is he any good? Get him signed (in writing!)
Ian Tod
3   Posted 23/07/2010 at 16:10:30

At least we know he'll want to sign for us if he becomes very good!
Karl Masters
4   Posted 23/07/2010 at 17:25:53

Maybe one of our Aussie fans (there seems to more and more on here these days ? which I'm pleased about by the way) could write an article giving us some idea of how the EPL is perceived Down Under.

Which teams are the most popular, which players appeal to the sports psyche of your average Australian, is EFC merchandise available, general views on anything?

Do they still view us as whingeing poms, is it mainly ex-pats who are into Soccer, what is the influence of the sizeable ethnic groups from Italy, Croatia and Polynesia? I'd be interested if anybody has the time.

Martin Clark
5   Posted 24/07/2010 at 02:12:38

I've been living in Sydney for for just under 4 years now. Football is the most participated sport here but Rugby League, Rugby Union and Cricket generally receive more coverage.

The problem is that you'd need Fox Sports (Sky equivalent) to be able to watch the Premier League or even the A-League. I feel the Aussie FA have shot themselves in the foot by not having the A-league on terrestrial TV as it doesn't have much pulling power and loses a large audience of possible athletes who could become tomorrow's stars.

The obvious teams are well supported here particularly Man Utd and Liverpool. I'm always trying to persuade more to follow Tim Cahill and Everton!!

The last time I was home I was asked to buy a friend an Everton Shirt as I've only ever seen Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham and Man City shirts on sale over here. Even at the Sydney vs Everton match they only had last season's shirts available on the stalls which was disappointing.

Whinging poms is often brought up in sports discussions but soccer (as they still call it to my frustration) ? its popularity is growing. They definitely have a large influence of European immigrates, the team I play for have a large Maltese number.

Hope this helps.