Distin's Comments

For those of you who arn't sad enough to get EvertonTV.

Distin was on talking about a diverse but expected range of topics — Jags, pre-season etc.

BUT right at the end he was asked about the squad and replied, "...we have a really really storng team this season and hopefully it's not finished. Hopefully there will be one or two new players to add strength to the squad."

Now it maybe because I'm on holiday and going stir crazy but that could be taken in a few ways.

1. Distin is making a banal comment and it has no relevance. (Unlikely as in other interviews Distin has always been articulate and seemed intelligent enough not to go against what his manager has said.)

2. Two he knows that there are players on the horison.

3. It is a veiled comment about how the players feel and a warning that they believe they need more help for the new season. (Again, I believe unlikely due to the professional nature of the player who I would expect to go directly to David if this was the case.)

Again this may all be the product of a bored mind but maybe some players will be arriving after all?
Robert Heaton, Ellesmere     Posted 23/07/2010 at 10:13:32

Comments

Jay Harris
1   Posted 23/07/2010 at 14:00:31

I think he was alluding to Sessegnon who Moyes is apparently very interested in having previously enquired about him.

IF anything happens assume its only because Piennaar and/or Arteta are being sold.

If you were Moyes you could also argue that, because of a boardroom fuck-up, you had lost one of your first team squad and needed to replace him!!
Matthew Tait
2   Posted 23/07/2010 at 15:30:53

4. He's expressing an honest hope, which I'm sure everyone at Everton, the Manager included, shares.

It's hardly a secret that we ideally need three more first team players to really compete at the top level - a winger, a striker and a backup left back.

Just because Distin hopes that we might somehow get a couple of these players doesn't mean he thinks it will happen or he's making a veiled warning to the management that it should. Maybe he's just speaking his mind!
James Flynn
3   Posted 23/07/2010 at 15:20:04

Away from the point for a second. I see to the right of this screen, the Table is being shown for the upcoming season and so zeroed out.

So, Michael Kenrick, since we show currently tied for 1st Place, would you kindly move Everton up to that position.

Toffee Fever. Catch it!!!
Ian Tod
4   Posted 23/07/2010 at 16:08:34

He's just saying what most fans/players would like and it makes sense ? a couple of new players would be nice... but, if not, the squad we have now is enough to challenge the top four, in my opinion.
Erik Dols
5   Posted 23/07/2010 at 16:56:51

@3 James Flynn: well, at least place us above the RS...
Charlie Percival
6   Posted 23/07/2010 at 19:11:26

I can't wait for the comments when we draw or lose our first 3 games about people's stupid expectations of us winning the league or finishing higher than fourth.

Hope I'm wrong.
Brendan O'Doherty
7   Posted 23/07/2010 at 19:30:20

Wishful thinking on Distin's part, that's all. The mind certainly plays tricks with some people during the close season!

Charlie ? "When we draw or lose our first 3 games."

I can understand why some fans lower their expectations, but this takes the biscuit. Ridiculous comment.
James Flynn
8   Posted 23/07/2010 at 19:42:16

Brendan ? I can't wait for the comments when we win our first 3 games about people's continuing stupid expectations of us having no chance to win the the league or even finishing fourth.

I know I'm right.

My Wilson-like (am I the only one misses Dave Wilson in here?) knowledge of the game is the fount of my confidence for the upcoming season.

And would really like to see the Table to the right with Everton up top.
Derek Thomas
9   Posted 23/07/2010 at 20:44:14

Charlie 6, losing our first two games didn't harm us much in 84-85.

James Flynn, Is this 'Wilson' none other than 'The Great Wilson' of athletics fame who's pre-war feats include 8.9 sec 100 m, 3min.30sec for the mile and 1hr 59mins and 57 secs for the marathon? If so, we are indeed not worthy and bow to your superior knowledge.

If it's going to be any year it will be this one. We will win the Prem only to have our dreams of CL glory snatched away by the end of the world on 21 December 2112, which, I have on unimpeachable authority, will be caused by the RS in some way or other.
Mike McLean
10   Posted 23/07/2010 at 21:03:21

22 December, Derek.

"A day which will live in the annals of infamy".
James Flynn
11   Posted 23/07/2010 at 22:16:07

Derek - Nah. That Wilson was so over-rated. Today's athletes would thrash him out of sight. Especially Drogba if Wilson ever tried football.

After all, what other 33 year old Striker is still improving in a sport where it's a virtual rule at that age Strikers are distinctly on the way down. And yet, Didier keeps getting better. Playing 90 minutes a game, mind.

While his skull (I mean the bone, not his ego) keeps getting larger, his body more and more sculpted and ripped, and he's becoming more and more famous for losing his temper. Hmmmmmmm.

Dorian Yates is English, right? Could someone get him on the phone to explain this Drogba phenonemon?
James Flynn
12   Posted 23/07/2010 at 22:23:37

Derek - I don't even know what Wilson-like knowledge means (How's that for knowledgable?).

It bounces around in here and everyone seems to know what it means except me. But Kenrick's faux Mailbag post of Dave Wilson after Germany-England was so hilarious, I've liked it since.

Which got me to wondering about old Dave Wilson himself. ToffeeWeb was more fun with him in it. I wonder what happened?
Derek Thomas
13   Posted 24/07/2010 at 01:25:23

James, it's all down to who has the best chemist and no doubt Chelski can afford the best, some might speculate the same one as Lance 'testicular cancer my arse' Armstrong. But I couldn't possibly comment...

But those times have still never been beaten, pre-war remember, on cinder tracks. Wilson wasn't that muscular, more on the lines of Seb Coe who was comparable in size to George Best, So, as is said, size isn't everything.

Mike, Mc.

Brendan O'Doherty
14   Posted 24/07/2010 at 01:48:35

James - I've already directed you to where the term "Wilson-like football knowledege" was coined. It seems you didn't bother to follow this up. Check the archive of about 6 weeks ago.

As for old 'Nosto', as he calls himself, he's still busy counting his winnings from the World Cup. He'll no doubt be back from his self-imposed exile for the start of the new season, with some more claims of specialist 'Wilson-like football knowledge' (which of course were predicted some FOUR MONTHS AGO....!)

Hope you're enjoying spending your massive winnings, Dave!
Brendan O'Doherty
15   Posted 24/07/2010 at 02:10:26

Derek - "the end of the world on 21 December 2112."

Think you're about a century ahead of yourself there.

Unless of course you've just been listening to the 1976 'Rush' album of the same name, which might explain your comment about the moustachioed one's club causing Armageddon.

Xanadu indeed.
Martin Clark
16   Posted 24/07/2010 at 02:32:49

Off note and back a little on topic, Is Everton TV any good? As an Evertonian in Sydney, I was considering it. Though still not sure if they have made it available on the Mac?

I'd love to think Everton could still be able to bring in a few more players this summer, but would be content if Pienaar and Arteta just signed new contracts!

Just hope Baines has another great season and doesn't get injured... If the unthinkable happens, what are the chances of Garbutt or Bidwell being able to step in?
James Flynn
17   Posted 24/07/2010 at 02:53:41

Derek ? Why did you come back to my post with something about Lance Armstrong? Fuck him and his bicycle.

I'm saying the, fairly-called pre-season, favorite to win the League, Chelsea, won't be so tough to play once Drogba's soft tissue explodes from exertion.

He's on PEDS Brother. Chelsea shouldn't have that advantage at so important a position. Not when DM is doing things the right way.
James Flynn
18   Posted 24/07/2010 at 03:06:13

Excuse me, O'Doherty. Let me respond without the noxious scent of racism. Most particularly the worst kind; Irish on Irish**.

I looked up your reference and found nothing. Since Wilson-like could mean Dave Wilson, I was OK with your "James look here" path to nowhere. I was already at a loss to an emigrant Irish calling another racist.

Anyway, Dave Wilson!!!!!!!! So what Kenrick broke your balls once. It WAS actually funny the way he did it. For all the arguments you've been in here, that little thing made you quit ToffeeWeb? Come on back Dave. Ciaran barely limps in here anymore.

** The racism so horrible, you've never heard of it. None speak it's name.
Brendan O'Doherty
19   Posted 24/07/2010 at 03:39:40

Flynn - I don't know what you're talking about here. The post where I directed you to the origins of W-L-F-K was nothing whatsoever to do with the discussions on what does or what does not constitute racism. That was a completely different thread(s). When you asked where it originated, I directed you to the exact post.

I'm not going to look it up for you again. So to cut a long story short, Michael Kenrick coined the term, I posted that I found it catchy, and it stuck from there. Propagated by, of all people, DW himself. Nothing to do with racism at all. You're getting it all mixed up.
Charlie Percival
20   Posted 24/07/2010 at 04:54:38

Derek, I said first three games not two.

Brendan, if you're psychic and can tell me I was chatting nothing but a possibility, then you're in the wrong business, my friend.
Brendan O'Doherty
21   Posted 24/07/2010 at 14:53:43

Charlie

You said "when", not "if", which would have had a completely different meaning.

It seems you are the one with the psychic powers.
Robert Heaton
22   Posted 25/07/2010 at 10:19:00

Martin - EvertonTV is useful for those of us in England and not in liverpool as we don't get the games on TV or radio (ETV has a feed) - I assume in Australia you can access all the games live on TV.

So all you would be getting are a few comments from players and the highlights - they do show preseason and europe (so not this year) as well
Martin Clark