Risk It All This Season

It seems that so many of us have a deep desire to win something right now. Well, this next season, anyway. I'm ready to risk it all this season. Why?

There are a number of reasons I can think of:

1. I have been holding my breath waiting for a trophy for so long I'm turning blue in the face. (At least it's better than red!)

2. So are the players. We have finally assembled a squad capable of making the breakthrough and some of our stars will not be satisfied to keep on playing for an also-ran club for much longer.

3. Same with our manager. Moyes must feel this is his best chance to win something at EFC. The better players are under constant pressure to move for increased earnings and the chance to play in the CL. Our closest competitors are outspending us and are developing good teams that could soon push us further down the table. And the same goes for Moyes. He is a hot item that could be picked off the shelf at anytime.

So what do I mean by risking it all?

If I were Moyes (don't we all wish we could?), I'd say no transfers at all this year. Tell the players they will have to wait if they want a move because this is our year to be great. Instill in the team the ethos of all-or-nothing. Put all the chips on the table in one exciting gamble for the big prize.

Don't let Pienaar go. That's a statement of how much we are risking (£12M) to reach the goal... Then hold on to your hats and go for gold!
Albert Perkins, Eugene, OR, USA     Posted 23/07/2010 at 20:04:46

Comments

Dermot Ryan
1   Posted 24/07/2010 at 06:07:16

If someone wants to leave bad enough, I think they are not worth keeping. The Lescott saga totally fucked up the opening of our season. I would rate the disruption of having him there and then having to bed in new players after he left acrimoniously as up there with our injuries as a reason we started badly.

If Pienaar and Arteta can embrace the idea of one more season positively, then do it. If not, get rid and fast. Imperative that all this business is sorted out before our opening game.
Mike McLean
2   Posted 24/07/2010 at 10:03:32

May be imperative to us... but not, I suspect, to the market.
Dave Smith
3   Posted 24/07/2010 at 11:07:34

Pienaar and Arteta will both leave. Prompting the usaual deadline day rush to get new players in.

We won't win the league, and we won't finnish 4th. Judging by what the others are doing, I predict we will finnish 6th if the shite don't get it together, 7th if they do.
Kunal Desai
4   Posted 24/07/2010 at 12:42:24

If we loose both Pienaar AND Arteta and scramble around for other desperate signings you can forget about finishing anywhere near 6th or 7th. It's more likely to be a mid-table / lower-half finish at best: 11TH-14th.

A midfield of Bily, Fellaini, Rodwell and Osman will get run ragged by most teams. Arteta is absolutely KEY!
David Hallwood
5   Posted 24/07/2010 at 13:11:59

I wish people would stop equating the Lescott situation with Pienaar and/or Arteta. Lescott was being pursued by Man City openly and who had put in several offers that had been turned down.

This isn't the case with either of the two players. So far we've heard that one or two are interested in them and why not ? they're both great players... but, as of yet, no concrete offers or statements by 'representatives' that the players want to move. And as for Arteta, he's always stated that he would like to play in Spain one day.
Jay Harris
6   Posted 24/07/2010 at 14:18:11

David, I agree with you.

City with that prat of a chief executive seem to have developed a policy of upsetting their rivals.

Last year it was us with Lescott. This year it's Villa with Milner.

Arsenal seem to have gone away with the door firmly shut on Jags and Moyes has stated categorically ? and I get the feeling this has been reinforced with the Board and the players ? that no-one will be leaving in this "make or break" season.

We now have a depth of squad to compete with the big boys but I do fear the RS with Hodgson will be reinvigorated.

Time will tell; let's look forward to the season starting and transfer window closing.
Liu Weixian
7   Posted 24/07/2010 at 14:31:25

A midfield of Bily, Fellaini, Rodwell and Osman will get run ragged by most teams?

Kunal, I don't believe what I'm reading! And these teams are?
Brendan O'Doherty
8   Posted 24/07/2010 at 14:59:44

Dave Smith ? you had us finishing 13th last week. Now it's 6th or 7th! What has caused this sudden optimism?

Regarding comparing last year's Lescott scenario with anything that may or may not be happening this year, it would be wise to remember that no bid from Man City was made until the 1st week of August last summer. The pursuit of him before that was done through the media, which so enraged DM.

It's still early days in the transfer market, unfortunately. I wish they would shut it by 31 July, so that everyone knows what the story is at the start of the season.
Roberto Birquet
9   Posted 24/07/2010 at 21:48:53

Half agree. Sell Pienaar. Buy someone for £12 million. That is a statement.

And as for O'Neill, I bet he is rubbing his hands in glee at the thought of £25 million for Milner. He could buy two in return. The only players who command mammoth fees are the big superstars, who have already made it, and players City want.

Moyes has shown you can shoparound.

Start with 5-man midfield or Fellaini, Rodwell, Arteta, Cahill and Bily (unless we use Anichebe on the right); and we have a good starting team without Pienaar.

We should celebrate that and be ruthless. Out! And bring in two to replace him. That'll probably mean a fringe player (say Hibbert, or arguably the Yak) out.

Then we will have midfield in strength and no-one thinking I'm defo not here next year.

Btw, I hope I'm proven wrong and Pienaar signs a new contract, but I have never believed it, and the clock is ticking ever more loudly.
Dave Smith
10   Posted 24/07/2010 at 22:58:19

Brendan ? I believe it was 17th? But that was meant to be tongue-in-cheek though.
Albert Perkins
11   Posted 25/07/2010 at 07:11:14

Roberto, I fully understand your point about selling Pienaar and getting in new players. However, Pienaar has taken a little while to get up to speed and fit in the team. He is now PL-ready and tried and tested. We have a good chance of getting the best out of him this season.

New players may be better in the long term, but may not be ready to do the business right now. I want it all and I want it now!

Martin Clark
12   Posted 25/07/2010 at 08:33:01

I'm hoping they both just think back to what it was like to not fit in at a club like Borussia Dortmund and Real Sociedad and realise that being part of a close-knit club that suits them both is worth more than the possible few thousand a week that they might get elsewhere and most likely don't really need. Risking the chance to remain key players in a side that has the potential to jump up a few steps.

I'm uncomfortable with the fact that Pienaar hasn't signed a contract and feel it can only affect his game if his mind is elsewhere thinking about his next contract and potential suiters he needs to impress.

I hope it's just a matter of time till he signs; if he does decide it's time to go, we've got little time to sort a possible replacement and him not being committed is bound to affect other players when chatting at training about his possible future elsewhere.

I hope Beckford's performance is a sign of things to come; if we can just have a committed team again with a striker who can bang in a bagful then who knows what next season could hold as performances against Chelsea and Man Utd last season suggest we can compete with the best on our day!
Tony Hughes
13   Posted 25/07/2010 at 11:08:34

Totally agree with Kunal (post 4), that midfield consists of sideways passing and absolutely no pace.
Kunal Desai
14   Posted 25/07/2010 at 14:41:14

Liu - these teams are those that all finished above us last season, maybe to lesser extent Villa when they loose Milner. Birm, Sund and maybe even a couple of others would certainly stiffle that midfield. Ossie gets knocked off the ball far too easily, Bily goes missing more often then not.Felli back from injury but remember back to eariler on last season when he was coming in for quite some stick??? There is no creativity there.