Friendly at Preston

This was live on Everton TV at 3:00. We're apparently playing 4-3-3, with Beckford, Saha and Vaughan up front.

Everton: Turner, Baines, Hibbert, Jagielka, Distin, Bilyaletdinov, Neville, Arteta, Vaughan, Beckford, Saha. Subs: Gueye, Coleman, Rodwell, Silva, Mustafi, Forshaw, Wallace, Baxter.
Richard Porter, Warrington     Posted 24/07/2010 at 14:40:56

Comments

Michael Kenrick
1   Posted 24/07/2010 at 17:20:31

Well, apparently that was not actually the starting line-up ? yet another startling example of misinformation from the Everton camp!

It was a good game overall, and plenty of impressive displays. It will be very interesting if Beckford can actually do it in the Premier League.

Bily still a worry for me. I desperately want him to do well, but he seems at times to be on a different planet.

ps: I found a report on the Forfar game last night that mentions both Schepers and Savic playing in Blue AGAIN! Of course, nothing whatsoever about them, at the Official Everton Website. If anyone was by chance at the Forfar game, could they try to give us the full line-up?
Steve Cotton
2   Posted 24/07/2010 at 17:25:24

I just watched the game at Preston... got to say first hand Bily looked like a Sunday League player: kept giving it away, no pace, last to react to situations... A bit better second half but, apart from his amazing goals (leaving myself wideopen with that comment), what does he bring to the team? He did not deserve to be in that team today but Davey knows that it was his decision to bring him here and he needs him to perform. £9 mill for that performance is a disgrace, Davey...
Chris Cook
3   Posted 24/07/2010 at 17:33:48

Just back from the match myself (think we outnumbered them 2-1 even after the arrests!) and I agree, Bily just didn't seem interested.

Coleman and Rodwell did well, I thought... and iI think Beckford should be fine despite his knock at the end.

Still, 3-0 was worth my £10 ticket. KOYB!
David Chait
4   Posted 24/07/2010 at 19:09:52

Just watched the goals on YouTube. The best part for me was the little snippet showing Mikel on the ball.... shit, that guy is priceless to the team. Honestly, you couldn't offer me anyone the EPL in place of the man... Cos honestly, I know he is highly regarded... but I don't think other fans realise just how good he is.

Pienaar is replaceable; Arteta... not a chance!

BTW... some nice finishing by Beckford... and Saha looked sharp, but then it was YouTube.
Mike McLean
5   Posted 24/07/2010 at 19:15:54

Truly, David, you are unique in your powers of perception.
Alex Kociuba
6   Posted 24/07/2010 at 20:11:23

David, I'm surprised Arteta featured on any YouTube highlights of the game, because for the time he wasn't anything special.

I don't want to sound anti-Arteta but I did notice that the corners were taken by different players (mainly Bily and Gueye) and the standard of delivery was good. I don't think it's wise for Mikel to take them anymore.
John Crook
7   Posted 24/07/2010 at 20:47:23

I went to the game. First of all, what a shit atmosphere... I've been to all the Preston friendlies in the past (as I reside in Preston) but we normally have a bigger following than that. Not much singing either... I think the attendance was only 9000. But then again, ok for a tenner.

Good composed displays without moving out of 2nd gear from almost everyone (have to agree with the Bily comments ? he just looks like someone who is reluctantly playing wide). Well taken goals by Beckford and Saha. Excellent performance from Hibbert too ? he played left back 2nd half and actually looked dangerous going forward when cutting on the inside. Maybe that's why he is shit going forward on the right??

Ged Simpson
8   Posted 24/07/2010 at 20:57:04

What encouraged me was Beckford's finishing.

For may years we have had strikers that would have missed those chances that he scored today.

And I hear he's not badly injured.

As for Arteta.... come on... just been married... first game back.

Very optimistic and I'd love a good summer to end with Donovan replacing Pienaar.

Chris James
9   Posted 24/07/2010 at 20:51:18

I wasn't at the game, but from watching the highlights I think it's a little harsh to slam Billy. From what I saw, he put in some really incisive passes (particularly nice reverse ball to put Coleman in for the shot onto the post) and certainly seemed to have a sweat on.

I will completely bow to others who saw the whole match for his overall performance, but to say he does nothing seems a tad harsh.

On more positive note, both Beckford and Saha looked wonderfully sharp, Coleman continues to impress as an attacking wing-back (or right winger?), Rodwell looked top class and Arteta seemed to be pulling the strings. I also thought Gueye showed promise.

Sure it was only Preston and a friendly, but considering we were missing 7 likely first choice players in Pienaar, Yobo, Heitinga, Cahill, Felli, Yak and Howard plus potential starters/subs in Osman and Anichebe I'd say that a comfortable 3-0 victory and a host more chances (it could have easily been 5 or 6) is a pretty promising sign of our strength in depth (nice to see the reserves beating Forfar too).

Hopefully they keep it up next week at Norwich (who beat the barcodes today ? are you watching, Super Dan?) as I'm heading across to East Anglia.
David Chait
10   Posted 24/07/2010 at 20:26:16

Agh, they just showed that he was back and playing...

And thanks Mike; much appreciated. ;)
Jay Harris
11   Posted 24/07/2010 at 21:20:23

I thought it was a great day out for the lads against a team who beat Blackburn 3-0 a few days ago.

Mixed views on Bily; He shows some classy touches and at least gets back to help the defence but sometimes you wonder about his concentration and lack of speed.

Maybe he's there to deceive the opposition ? he's slower than you think.

Priceless to see Coleman have a go at Neville who appeared to want to make him look bad with an awful pass that Coleman had no chance of getting. Nothing wrong with that lad's confidence!!

Also special mention on Gueye. He could certainly make me forget about Pienaar.
Pat Finegan
12   Posted 24/07/2010 at 21:37:30

I understand Gueye played left wing. Is that true?

I would love for him to be a winger. If he does well enough there, we could move Pienaar to the right and that issue is solved.
Michael Kenrick
13   Posted 24/07/2010 at 21:52:45

Pat, to me he was playing more in the inside left channel, doing some great link-up moves, although in retrospect very little actually came off for him. All the same, I like him a lot. Looks promising.
Steve Pugh
14   Posted 24/07/2010 at 21:54:04

One thing comes to mind for me, if DM really thought Mikki was going to leave, would he have started him today?
Brendan O'Doherty
15   Posted 25/07/2010 at 01:01:36

Because according to the 'Mail on Sunday' (I know, I know), we are "breaking the bank" and offering him £75k per week to sign a new deal.

Here's hoping.
Ernie Baywood
16   Posted 25/07/2010 at 03:04:26

Alex, not sure what you were watching but Arteta took most of the corners while he was on the pitch (45 mins). After 6 or 7 he let others take a turn running down to the far corner of the pitch.

I thought he was quality in general play too. First touch and passing like he hasn't had a break. Exemplary for 45 mins.

Very satisfying runout with some great football.
Jamie Crowley
17   Posted 25/07/2010 at 03:51:51

Just checked those YouTube highlights...

Who's the idiot invading the pitch after Beckford's first goal? Dumbass.

Beckford, albeit YouTube highlights, looks fantastic. Let's hope that comes to fruition this season. The kid looks like a real hidden gem of talent.

I pray to God we keep Arteta.
Steven Pendleton
18   Posted 25/07/2010 at 04:34:54

Whats the link to see highlights Jamie?
Wilson Tan
19   Posted 25/07/2010 at 05:23:55

Steven: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH49wa2uY6w
Steven Pendleton
20   Posted 25/07/2010 at 06:35:56

Cheers Wilson.
Norman Merrill
21   Posted 25/07/2010 at 10:28:25

Although, only watching the short goal highlghts on Sky, and then on YouTube, I thought Beckford and Saha looked sharp.

The game against Wolfsburg will be a good test; by then, all the World Cup lads should be back. And before that, our game versus our Chile namesakes.
Alex Kociuba
22   Posted 25/07/2010 at 16:04:54

Ernie, I suppose what I was trying to say is that Arteta is shit at taking corners!