Who's Leaving?

Has anybody noticed the differance in the way most of us are feeling this close season? I for one am not waiting with baited breath for the big-money signing that will never come, I'm not scanning the rumour sites to see what player we are linked with and then have to look on YouTube to find out who they are. Even all the moaners on here seem to be a lot more contented with our current squad.

Well I for one would be quite happy to get to the end of August with the current squad intact, my worries aren't about who comes in but about who leaves. I don't really think that we will not lose any of the six or so players that have been talked about leaving. What i would like to know is, if any of them leave, who would you like to see them replaced with.

For example, Jags £15M... get Lescott for £10M from City (only joking but you get the point). This will save me time when all these names are talked about in the last week of the transfer window and give me something else to do than pray in front of the shrine to saint Mikel that he won't leave.
Peter Rogers, Runcorn     Posted 25/07/2010 at 11:56:43

Comments

Iain Love
1   Posted 25/07/2010 at 21:36:50

Totally agree, Peter, I can't see Jags going unless it's silly money and Wenger doesn't do silly. But:

Jags out £15mill / in Onuha £4mill
Pienaar out £15mill / in N'Zogbia £10mill
Arteta out £25mill / in Ozil £10 mill
Money in: £55mill; money out: £24mill = £31 mill excess, so Donovan £6mill, Salcido £2mill... leaving £23mill for Cardoza, fuck me that's some team..

Wouldn't want to sell really but that wouldn't be too bad.

Charles King
2   Posted 25/07/2010 at 21:52:10

I think you've hit on something that is a watershed moment for many of us, the realisation that player loyalty is a distant memory and we either embrace it or get ulcers worrying about it.

I've been critical of Moyes over the years but he seems to wheel and deal well and I think he's realised the Lescott saga isn't worth repeating: when a player looks like he wants to go, get the most you can then send him on his way.

The frustration is we're so far down the pecking order financially that when we improve players there's at least 6 clubs who'll pay more and spirit them away at the drop of a hat.

Fortunately for BK and Co most fans just ignore this, although I think hopes are so high this season that this might be a watershed for them.

Richard Reeves
3   Posted 25/07/2010 at 22:47:51

I would like to see Distin and Yobo shown the door and replaced with Lescott... yes, that's right ? LESCOTT!!! I would also sell Anichebe and Vaughan and with added money I would buy Donavon if possible but if not then Sessegnon ? he looks like the sort of player that would make us stronger and if the reported £8M is true, then he could be a bargain.
Noel Lynam
4   Posted 25/07/2010 at 23:13:38

I think the experience the last couple of summers has made most of us realistic when it comes to transfer comings and goings.

The signings made so far are symbolic of what end of the market we are dealing in. Unless a Pienaar or an Arteta is sold, we are not likely to be looking at anyone coming in for substantial money.

Personally I would be happy to start with the squad we have at present, including hopefully a fully fit and motivated Yakubu!

Gavin Ramejkis
5   Posted 25/07/2010 at 23:35:01

Iain, Ozil would cost you double that! Agree with the article, though; after the years of disappointment, I think only the truly gullible would think we are not potless unless someone is sold and the current squad (crossing fingers before saying this) are injury free right now we stand a good chance of top four, retain the squad and go for it.
John Lindsay
6   Posted 26/07/2010 at 09:39:45

Iain

"Wenger doesn't do silly"

So £9 million for Jeffers was clever??
Iain Love
7   Posted 26/07/2010 at 12:42:23

Gavin, I'm only repeating what I've read, I would have thought Ozil would be more but that's what I've seen.

John... fair point, I forgot about that as he is usually great in the transfer market.

Mark Stone
8   Posted 26/07/2010 at 15:47:43

Iain, £10 million is one thing but he's the man of the moment. He'd be looking for stupid wages.
Andy Hegan
9   Posted 26/07/2010 at 23:48:50

Who's Leaving?

Whilst trying to ignore speculation, who do you think will leave any time soon?

Gut instinct or educated guess preferred to insider info or rumours.

Ellen West
10   Posted 27/07/2010 at 08:53:09

I hope I'm wrong, but before Arsenal put a bid in for Jags, they must have got in touch with his agent to see if Jags would be willing to move down south (no point putting a bid in if the player doesn't want to move). If this was the case, he must be up for a move and if the right price comes in, Moyes will take it. I hope I'm wrong.
Dan McKie
11   Posted 27/07/2010 at 09:44:38

Ellen, if they did approach his agent before the club, then they would be breaking the rules. Not for 1 second saying it doesn't happen, but first contact about any player should be with the club.

I can't see anyone leaving to be honest. Talk of Pienaar has died down, and I don't blame Arteta for not busting a gut to sign a new 4-year deal when he has 2 years left on his current contract.