Lescott in City Clearout!

Couldn't happen to a nicer greedier money-grabbing git. You should have stayed with the proper blues and become a legend, rather than dash for the cash.

Andrew McGreavy, Suffolk     Posted 25/07/2010 at 12:29:05

Comments

Antony Matthews
1   Posted 25/07/2010 at 16:28:33

I hope Dan Gosling gets the Mail delivered to his house!
Aidy Dews
2   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:01:13

That would be karma at its best IMO, and wouldn't we get a percentage of any fee they would fetch in as well due to a sell-on clause?.
Kieran Kinsella
3   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:00:02

Personally, I don't harbour him any ill will. We made out like bandits from the deal and made about 800% profit on the guy in 2 years and that enabled us to buy several new players including Heitinga who by himself was worth the trade out. From Lescott's point of view, if you consider that he had what some viewed as a career-threatening injury at Wolves, you can't blame him for taking the opportunity to set himself up for life by taking the city money.

As for betraying Everton, well we were happy enough to entice him away from Wolves for the chance to earn more and play for a higher profile club, so who are we to knock him for continuing in the same vein? I have a different opinion of others like Rooney and Jeffers who come through the youth team and make a show of their blue heritage and then turn their back on the club at the first opportunity.

Lescott did well while he was here and we made a fortune off him and frankly, if City offered him at a knock down $8million or so, I'd happily bring him back.

Karl Jones
4   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:05:19

I wouldn't have him back for any amount. He acted like a spoilt child, and would'n't even acknowledge the fans cheering his name and pleading for him to stay.

If he had a couple of good seasons, what's to say he wouldn't do the same again?
Tony McNulty
5   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:06:28

Kieran ? I agree 100% with your post. The only additional comment I would make is that, provided we keep the current squad together, where would you play him? We already have a problem in that we have four credible alternatives at centre back, not including Duffy, who may well be one for the future. And Lescott was never happy at left back.
Garry Martin
6   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:06:17

I would never offer him a route back to EFC. I don't believe he would ever be accepted by the fans, also, who's going to pay the wages he's currently on at City?

If he's not wanted then he has two options: either stay at City for the remainder of his 4-year contract; or move on.

You may see a makeweight deal with Villa for Milner, however, again it comes down to wages; I can't see Villa paying £90k+ per week....

What a dilemma, Joleon!!

Mike Gaynes
7   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:15:23

I DEFINITELY agree with the consensus on Lescott... not interested at all.

But there are some pretty juicy plums among City's other leftovers... they have to offload 12 players, 13 if they sign Milner.

According to ESPN Soccernet, the list includes Roque Santa Cruz, Craig Bellamy, Felipe Caicedo, Micah Richards, Michael Johnson, Vincent Kompany, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Stephen Ireland, Nigel De Jong, Kelvin Etuhu, Pablo Zabaleta and Nedum Onuoha.

So what do you think, guys? If they're available on the cheap, who would you like to see us pick up? Personally, I think SWP on the right flank would be terrific.
Michael Brien
8   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:19:09

Micah Richards and Nedum Onuoha ? I think they would give us extra options at the back and in midfield. Personally I think Wright-Phillips is over rated.

As regards signing Lescott ? could we afford his salary?

Matthew Lovekin
9   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:19:35

I don't think Lescott would get in our side now anyway. Jags & Johnny are better central defenders and Baines a better left-back. He would only replace Distin as a back-up, mainly due to age.

We still couldn't afford the transfer fee or wages, and we simply don't want him back. Good riddance.
Garry Martin
10   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:19:50

Don't forget, people, that all the surplus players mentioned that must leave City are on big wages. Massive dilemma for both players & club on how to get shut.
Matthew Lovekin
11   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:22:58

I'd have Richards, Johnson and Ireland, but only if they were free transfers, we still don't have any money people!!!
John Crook
12   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:18:42

I would guess that he is probably available on loan considering that City have just splashed out on that new left back. That means Lescott will be 3rd choice left back (behind the new one and Bridge) and they also have several strong centre halfs.

But surely the atmosphere on the training ground would be shit (in the unlikely event he did return). It was such a massive shame to loose him though, A very decent centre half or left back who you are guaranteed goals from. He would complete our defensive squad in my opinion (as we need back-up for Baines).

But I don't think I would have him back at any price. The whole manner of the way he left was unacceptable.

Gavin Ramejkis
13   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:23:54

Garry Martin, exactly the point over wages, imagine how much little Eddie Murphy (SWP) is on after his stint at Chelski? A few decent players but their wages alone would need a significant paycut to put even a freebie in our range.
Tony Tony
14   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:29:38

Man City fan here... with a bit of truth:- There have been a few articles in the press lately about City having to cull 12 players to make the 25 man squad ruling. Some saying we will have to sell Lescott, De Jong , Bridge, Roque Santa Cruz, Craig Bellamy, Jo, Felipe Caicedo, Micah Richards, Michael Johnson, Vincent Kompany, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Stephen Ireland, Kelvin Etuhu, Pablo Zabaleta and Nedum Onuoha... how ridiculous! Mancini is trying to have twovery good players in each position. The way I see it is as follows:-

Looking at the squad we have to choose from... I think we will have the capacity to potentially field two teams, and really should be winning silverware in the coming season. We have or will have a very good player in every position and also competition for that position too.

Predicting that we definitely sign Milner, my formation would be 4-2-3-1
Player competing in each postion:-

(GK) Given/Hart

(RB) Zabeleta/Richards
(CB) K Toure/Lescott
(CB) Boateng/Kompany
(LB) Kolarov/Bridge

(DM) Y Toure/Barry
(DM) De Jong/Veira

(RM) A Johnson/SWP
(CM) Tevez/Robinho
(LM) Silva/Milner

(CF) Adebayor/RSC
That's 22 plus the following including 8 other Squad Members:
Taylor, Bellamy, Boyata, Weiss, Ibrahim, Cunningham, Vidal, Etuhu.
30 man squad of which 9 qualify in the homegrown ruling

Expected Leavers:
Ireland, Onuoha, Garrido, M Johnson, Bojinov, Caicedo, Jo.

Unlimited under 21's are allowed too, hence value of 19-year-old Balotelli and others.
Kevin Hudson
15   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:35:01

Smacks of generic paper talk to me.

The guy was on SSN today discussing the upcoming season, and didn't come across as someone expecting to leave the club.
Doug Hast
16   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:59:44

I'm thrilled the rat as been shown up for what he is. At Everton, he was playing second fiddle to one of the best defenders in the country, that being Jagielka.

Sadly, Lescott's head got too big and he thought he was that star player. I can hear his comments that he was going to City to win things and money was not a factor... what a load of shit. He was greedy and medals had nothing to do with his leaving. I imagine that every Everton fan must be thrilled and Moyes over the moon by getting £24 mil for a piece of shit.

I wonder how much City will get for such a talented and sucessful player like him? Bids starting at £250,000

Luke Berry
17   Posted 25/07/2010 at 18:15:16

I thought about posting a thread on the mailbag last night when I first saw the news (around 2:30 in the morning) but decided against it believing that Lescott didn't warrant a thread as he was a modern day mercenary footballer.

However, Kieran Kinsella made a very salient point in that we did to Wolves, what Citteh did to us. On reflection it is slightly hypocritical of us to whine about our predicament... but I digress. No, I wouldn't have him back, purely for monetary reasons, we couldn't afford the transfer fee but he would be a good (re)addition.

If I were to have my choice of the Citteh rejects, it would be: Craig Bellamy, SWP, Ireland, Onuoha, Richards/Zabaleta. I think they all would add to the squad and possibly sort out our right hand side completely.

On a slightly different point, what are people's thoughts on a possible reuniting of Jags, Lescott and Baines for England? With a possible right back of Richards or Johnson (provided Richards can sort his head)? I would like to hear people's opinions on that.

Anthony Millington
18   Posted 25/07/2010 at 18:31:40

Keiran, you say we were happy enough to entice him away from Wolves for the chance to earn more and play for a higher profile club, so who are we to knock him for continuing in the same vein? Wait there ? Man City a higher profile club? Let's just check the trophy cabinet... they were slumming it out in League One the other year and when Lescott signed for them they hadn't finished above us for years and we still done the double over them.

It's laughable some of the comments about how all the mighty teams like City, Villa and Tottenham are so superior than us with all the money they have spent but let's cheer up because we all know that half of our team would walk into their team anyday. Arteta is better than any central midfielder any of these teams have. I can't help but feel we are written off too easily by some, judge us when we have a fully fit team ? let's hope that's this season.
Jamie Crowley
19   Posted 25/07/2010 at 18:39:12

If we could ? and we won't unless we sell Yak and Pienaar ? I'd take Ireland in a second. I love watching him play.

And wouldn't SWP solve the speedy RM problem?

Bellamy is great, but aging and I hate watching him. I certainly don't know the guy from Adam but he seems to be a real jerk sometimes.

I'd kill to get Ireland and SWP. We'd be literally stacked. But we'll be outbid. Until I see anything official I won't even pay attention to the rumors that are sure to be flying around...

Lescott can take the first train to Hell for all I care.
Brian Garside
20   Posted 25/07/2010 at 18:57:28

JL. No thanks.
We´ve moved on. Don´t need him.
SWP a joke. Very poor first touch. How did he make it to the World Cup?
Dave Roberts
21   Posted 25/07/2010 at 18:57:35

Two weeks ago, one major national paper featured an interview with SAF in which he stated categorically that they had no intention of selling Berbatov and that they (ManU) knew they had, in him, the right player.

On the same day, another major national paper featured a 'report' suggesting that ManU had lost patience with Berbatov and had decided to listen to offers and that several clubs had shown interest.

Now, in the weird and wonderful world of football there may well be circumstances within which both could be right.....but it's bloody doubtful this was one of those cases!

Most of what comes out in the press is made up by journalists or 'leaked' by agents with their own agenda and while some snippets will inevitably turn out to have substance I'm not going to waste any more of my time trying to sort out which is which.

When it happens, it happens... and I will celebrate or worry when it does. Until then I will wait and see what happens.

Roll on the end of August... until January when all the speculation will start all over again!
Luke Berry
22   Posted 25/07/2010 at 19:12:51

To Anthony Millington #15:

Although you are right in your assertion that City are in no-way as successful as us (or Villa or Spurs), you have to put modern-day football into perspective. Indeed we are the fourth 'biggest' club in the country in terms of overall success; however, in monetary terms (and this is what helps when looking for success nowadays) we are relative minnows in the top flight.

"WE ARE EVERTON".... it feels great saying it doesn't it? However, you cannot always expect an employee to 'get' the history or nostalgia of an institution just because they receive wages to do a job, it just doesn't work like that. In truth, all we can do is hope that our players do (and we do get them from time to time) but it's success and achievement that will cause a player to go from an employee to a supporter and in this area we haven't supplied the goods for too long a time.

Truth is, Manchester City will more than likely win the title before us (despite what my blue tinted specs tell me about this coming season) and it's because they can buy it. This is a bitter pill to swallow but one we should do all the same, and instead of moaning about we should hold our heads high and declare...."WE ARE EVERTON"... "NOW FUCK OFF AND TRY BUY A HISTORY LIKE OURS!"
COYB

Joe McMahon
23   Posted 25/07/2010 at 19:30:46

Guys WAKE UP, none, that's NONE of the City cast-offs being mentioned will come to Goodison. We can't afford the wages. If we had money, Donovan would be here... just like Arshavin would have been here over 2 years ago.

What I can't understand is how the likes of Wolves are now outspending us. If we hadn't blown £9.5 million on the slowest footballer in history (Bily), Donovan would be here. I am a Moyes fan, but he doesn't get it right all the time.

David Hallwood
24   Posted 25/07/2010 at 19:32:00

I think the clear-out highlights the dilemma that City will face if they don't get off to a flyer. Mancini has come in and started to prune Hughes's squad, 13 out & something like 10 in. It will take time for Mancini to get his best team, but if the Sheiks lose patience, he gets sacked and than the whole circus starts again.

The difference between Chelski & Citteh, is that Chelsea were there or thereabouts before Roman the Crook took over, City are effectively starting from scratch, and it may take them years to find the best team. Sometimes you can have too much money...
Tom Stone
25   Posted 25/07/2010 at 20:19:19

He should go to Arsenal, and Wenger can stop sniffing around Jags.
Chris Butler
26   Posted 25/07/2010 at 20:21:19

Some people's views on Lescott are strange. At the end of the day, he grew up supporting Aston Villa, not Everton... nor did he rise through the ranks of our youth team, like other players. He was bought from another club, Wolves, where he was also a fans' favourite. Do Wolves fans call him a greedy bastard and say he'd never take him back?

Secondly, Everton had a nightmare summer last year and Manchester City were in all the papers; many, including me, thought they'd finish far higher than they finished. Should Lescott have acted in a better manner? Yes... but it's no different to the frustration Evertonians felt when LA Galaxy prevented Donovan from leaving. He naturally was less than happy so did what most footballers do: sulk.

I'd take him back anyday for the progression of Everton Football Club overides any thoughts of bitterness I may have.

Kieran Kinsella
27   Posted 25/07/2010 at 20:26:38

Anrhony Millington ? yes, Man City are a higher profile club at this time. Higher profile meaning in the news more... not meaning they have a fuller trophy cabinet.
John Daley
28   Posted 25/07/2010 at 20:36:02

The trouble with Shaun Wright Phillips (apart from the fact he's a deformed dwarf and has gobshite Ian Wright as a stepdad) is that he's shite.

As for Lescott, there is no way in the world he would be welcomed back to Goodison by David Moyes, who seemed to take the events of last pre-season very personally. Then you've got the fact we've got no money and could never afford his transfer fee or wages.

However, those who say he would not get in this Everton side are kidding themselves. Lescott and Jagielka were the best central defensive pairing we've had in years and he also had a very valuable habit of popping up with important goals for us. If he were still here he'd be a definite starter.
Mike Allison
29   Posted 25/07/2010 at 20:49:14

Weren't we in a higher division than Wolves? Makes quite a difference, especially when you consider we'd just finished above City when Lescott left us for them.
Anthony Millington
30   Posted 25/07/2010 at 20:52:05

Ok, yes... but we finished above them, so surely that should have come ahead of whether or not they are a higher profile club. I'm actually suprised they would want to let Lescott go, he's their best centre back! Players seem to be jumping at the chance to join the likes of Man City and a whole host of them are putting a severe dent in their careers, look at Lescott, Jo, Robinho, Santa Cruz! Almost £100 million they've spent on them four!
Matthew Lovekin
31   Posted 25/07/2010 at 21:24:49

On today's news that Man City have to cut their squad from 39 players to 25 for the new season, it looks like more than just Joleon Lescott will be leaving them, and possibly on the cheap.

Obviously, Everton can't afford much but Michael Johnson didn't even start a Premier League game last season and will be even further down the pecking order now. Johnson was probably their best player a couple of seasons ago under Eriksson before injury and then their latest fad, Stephen Ireland who could also be out of the door. Ireland is likely to be out of our price range (not a lot!) but possibly Johnson could be added.

Iain Love
32   Posted 25/07/2010 at 21:21:02

29 posts when No 2 got it spot on.
Mike Gaynes
33   Posted 25/07/2010 at 22:07:10

I'm watching City play right now against New York Red Bulls. Mostly reserve side, looks like crap. Lescott looks heavy and slow, like he's been eating way too well. And guess who scored for City... Jo, of all people. A three-yeard chip.
Brendan O'Doherty
34   Posted 25/07/2010 at 21:58:19

Kieran Kinsella ? glad you explained 'higher profile club' and didn't say 'bigger club'.

I wouldn't touch Ireland with bargepole. As soon as things aren't going perfectly for him, he'll be off to visit his two grannies again.
Brendan O'Doherty
35   Posted 25/07/2010 at 22:17:11

Oh and Lescott's face when the 2nd goal went in against City at their place last season was the image to remember him by.Priceless!

He took the 30 pieces of silver so there is no coming back.
Richard Reeves
36   Posted 25/07/2010 at 21:25:04

I wouldn't want any of Man City's players except maybe Onuoha. I don't know how good he is as I haven't seen much of him but, if Moyes has been tracking him for a few years now, then he must be alright.

On the subject of Lescott, if he wanted to come back to us and agreed to the kind of wages that Everton could pay, then I would have him back. I would sell Distin and Yobo and have Lescott, Heitinga, Jagielka and Duffy battling it out for the centre-back positions with Hibbert as back-up.

I don't understand why a lot of us Blues have any kind of bad feeling towards Lescott. When he played for us, he gave his all, had a good rapport with the fans and, let's be honest, most of us would have done the same given the opportunity. Double your wages and play for a club that want silverware now and have the means to buy the best players to get it... or a club that has to sell players to buy new ones and will increase your wages to half of what you could earn.

Some might say he is greedy and maybe he is but is that not what we all do in life? Strive for better pay with more rewards and, if we get the chance, take it. If I felt that he shafted us, I would be the first to say he should never come back... but I don't and I felt at the time that Everton wanted the money.The words from the club were 'Lescott is not for sale' and I'm pretty sure that's what Moyes wanted and would've happened if Moyes had had his way.

Whenever anyone asked me at the time if Lescott was going to be sold, I would reply, "Yes... but at the last minute so we can't buy anyone else." This wasn't because I thought Man City didn't want us to buy any players but, believe it or not, I actually thought Kenwright wanted to keep back most of it, if not all.

It turns out that I was wrong about spending the money but I don't trust the chairman and anything that comes out of his mouth. I'm only interested in what makes Everton stronger; getting rid of the weak links in Yobo and Distin and having Lescott in the squad would be just that... and you have to admit, Lescott and Jagielka were a formidable partnership.

Karl Masters
37   Posted 25/07/2010 at 22:30:26

You have to laugh really. City and a fair number of their players are learning that chickens come home to roost.

For City, they will discover how hard it will be to offload many of their ridiculously overpaid 'stars', not just now but for ever more. Just imagaine if Yaya Toure doesn't work out.... no other Club will pay £200k a week even if they got him on a free transfer. If they want to sell Lescott they'll find nobody prepared to offer him £100k a week like now.

The players will be faced with either not playing and picking up their money ? good for their bank balance, but not their career ? or taking a massive pay cut to gain regular action.

As for Lescott, he was by and large a superb player for us. If we could get him back for about £8m on the same wages as he was on before then why not? We are short on the left side of defence, only Baines or Distin are left footed and a long term injury to either would cause us problems, especially if it was Baines. For all those letting emotion get in the way, who is to say that Heitinga or Jagielka will not also do a Lescott at some point as well?

I reckon though that he'll end up at Spurs if he leaves. Bellamy has been a nailed on certainty to go there for months as well.

Of the others mentioned, I don't like SWP's arrogant attitude and his £100k a week wage demands ? just another Ashley Cole like pig in the trough saying £70k a week is not enough! Onuaha and Ireland would be useful although we have a lot of cover in those positions at least for now. In fact, I like the squad we have and can see very few players at City apart from Tevez who I think would add anything to what we already have.
Ed Fitzgerald
38   Posted 25/07/2010 at 23:14:59

How quickly we all forget! Let's be honest about this, we played a blinder over the Lescott saga ? was it really £24M? Incredible! Although his departure upset us, his move to City was inevitable and Moyes did play right. He was excellent at Everton and was the best centre half at Everton in many decades.

Do you really believe Jagielka is any more loyal? If Arsenal keep increasing the fee, we will snap their hand off and I doubt it will get to £24M before we relent.

As committed as he appears to be, he is a professional and will take the money. Plus I don?t think he is as good as many Evertonians claim. True, 100% effort in every game but in my opinion a limited footballer. Too many Blues appear to get endeavour confused with ability.

Lester Yip
39   Posted 26/07/2010 at 03:23:35

I am surprised that some people suggesting getting rid of Distin and our long time serving CB Yobo just after knowing Lescott maybe available. For the sake of a stronger Everton squad? Then I can't see why Lescott would want to more to City for the sake of a better future for his family.
Ron Marr
40   Posted 26/07/2010 at 03:51:10

I saw Jo started for Citeh against Sporting Lisbon last Friday.
Jason Lam
41   Posted 26/07/2010 at 04:07:00

Imagine getting Lescott for £8M or whatever, and him scoring another curling header to the back post against Citeh!

Nah, but it was a good goal. COYB
Jason Lam
42   Posted 26/07/2010 at 04:29:18

How about Dempsey? Much better than all those Citeh cast-offs.
Roberto Birquet
43   Posted 26/07/2010 at 05:10:12

Kieran
From Lescott's point of view, if you consider that he had what some viewed as a career-threatening injury at Wolves, you can't blame him for taking the opportunity to set himself up for life by taking the City money.
-----------
I think we ultimately did well out of it except for the damage it did to morale early on last season.

But I mean, WTF, he was on a £10 million contract at Everton. Can you stop apeing all that "set himself up for life" crap. If £10 million does not set you up for life, the rest of us may as well give up.
Kristian Boyce
44   Posted 26/07/2010 at 08:03:04

If this is true, then this is a huge blow to City's PR. If Lescott and Co are on there way out from City, I think this is going to be a wake up for a number of their supposed targets. There is a good possibility that some 'big name' players (Roque Santa Cruz, Craig Bellamy, Micah Richards, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Stephen Ireland, etc.....) could be left in a footballing limbo if they don't make the 25 or get sold before the window shuts. I can see City becoming a very unhappy place very quickly if there are a number of them left in the cold.

With the rumour of them sniffing round Arteta, do you think that this is something that would cross his mind? I know that many players today are only bothered about their bank accounts, but there are still many that have a love for the game. I can't see many players that would be to happy to not have a chance to be part of the first team as they didn't make the squad of 25.

Luckily for us with our small squad we won't have an issue with this, but I read somewhere that the R's had over 50 players on their books. Goodluck Roy in trimming that down.

Ciarán McGlone
45   Posted 26/07/2010 at 08:53:11

Sell Jagielka...buy Vincent Kompany.
Aodhan O'Faolain
46   Posted 26/07/2010 at 10:28:51

What odds Lescott going to redshite?
Jimmy Hacking
47   Posted 26/07/2010 at 10:30:08

I find the animosity towards Lescott quite bewildering; yes, he is a mercenary, but then so are the other 700 footballers in the Premier League. Do you imagine the Wolves fans were happy when he joined us?

If we can nab him on loan for a season then it would be a superb signing. Who cares about "loyalty", all that matters to me is Everton winning games. If any morons want to boo him while he's playing for us that's up to them, but I won't be.
Liu Weixian
48   Posted 26/07/2010 at 11:04:02

Well, that voyeur from the Arse can have him! Leave Jags alone I say!
Conor Waters
49   Posted 26/07/2010 at 11:38:11

I remember at the time placing a bet with a mate who was a City fan, that Lescott wouldn't leave us for them. How naive I was. Everyone has got to realise these guys are not fans of the clubs they play for, sure they may enjoy the atmosphere or camaraderie of certain squads, but they are just employees at the end of the day looking for a better wage most of the time.

He really was a great player for us, with a ridiculous knack for scoring goals. But it never really works out when we re-sign past players; Jeffers, Gravesen, Ferguson etc all spring to mind ? not to mention Howard Kendall's ill-fated returns. So I'd opt out on this one, as many have already said, I doubt we could afford his wages, let alone the fee.

Oh and Jamie (#19) regarding Bellamy, the guy's reputation really does precede him, everyone thinks he's a jerk ? funny thing is that he is one of the few Prem players to actually use his money for good. The guy has a massive football development education charity campaign in Sierra Leone for all the kids in that war-torn ravaged area.
Tony J Williams
50   Posted 26/07/2010 at 13:08:56

I would have him back on a loan deal in a heartbeat.
Scott Milne
51   Posted 26/07/2010 at 14:18:39

Wouldn't mind Garrido in on loan just as back-up for Baines.

The rest of their outcasts are going to be on stupid wages (Ireland, Santa Cruz, SWP, Bellamy) or be kids wanting 1st team action (Onouha, Johnson, Caicedo) - which they wouldn't get here.
Ernie Baywood
52   Posted 26/07/2010 at 14:25:27

I wouldn't take him back... simply to send the message to the current crop that there are no second chances. We have a good club and a manager with values... but if you shit on us then you do so at your own risk.
Alan Clarke
53   Posted 26/07/2010 at 14:26:43

I hope Lescott stays at City, collecting his wage from the bench and becoming a forgotten man, both for England and in the press. I'd even like City to win the league (if it's not us) and him not get enough starts to gain a medal. That would feel much better. He could then cry himself to sleep on his gold leaf pillow on his massive gold bed in his massive mansion, blowing his nose on £50 notes. Maybe he'd realise the satisfaction from being a footballer is about playing football rather than just lining his pockets. Then he could go to Stoke.
Mark Scarratt
54   Posted 26/07/2010 at 17:18:03

This is what I posted at the same stage last season:

How apt

If he leaves then it is a backward step.

I don't want him to leave, but would reluctantly understand if he left for say Man Utd or Arsenal, as he would be joining a team with guaranteed Champions League and would also enhance his England prospects in the run up to next years World Cup.

I would also understand him leaving if, for example like Gareth Barry, he had given loyal service to our club for over 10 years and wanted one last big contract.

What I will not accept or understand, is if he leaves us at this stage of his career to join a team who finished well below us in the table and have not qualified for Europe.

If he does leave, then it will inevitably beg the question as to why. The answer can only be for pure financial greed. One thing is for sure, he will not be joining a better club, and he will regret it for ever.
Michael Brien
55   Posted 26/07/2010 at 17:23:39

Not sure that I can take satisfaction at Lescott's predicament. Personally, I think I get more satisfaction about the situation Man City have got themselves into. They have gone on a spending spree with very little thought or planning it would seem. The expression "kids in a toy shop/sweet shop" is one that springs to mind.

For instance, how much money did they pay for Jo? I would doubt if he had played 20 games for them. It's one thing to have a massive transfer budget ? it's another thing to spend it wisely.

Chris Butler
56   Posted 26/07/2010 at 17:32:44

Again, I see these comments that frankly ridiculous. Football is a talent ? no different from being talented at anything else. People often use their talents to gain employment, some work for companies that they have an allegiance to, other's don't.

Manchester City are a higher profile than Everton and I think it's stupid to give the age old trophy cabinet argument. Chelsea have won far less than Liverpool have in the past yet if you had a choice between the club's you'd chose Chelsea.

So are you really saying that if a player who plays for let's say Southampton get's the offer to play for Wigan becuase of past glories because they have a more illustrious history? No, of course not.

Andy Crooks
57   Posted 26/07/2010 at 18:48:34

We got a vastly inflated fee for a player who showed himself to be some way short of international level. Why wish him ill? It was great business. The only thing wrong was the delay in getting it done; the annual summer problem at Everton.
Dennis Sequerah
58   Posted 26/07/2010 at 20:19:40

I think Lescott's a great player, loyalty notwithstanding. However I wouldn't want him back simply because not many fans would accept it. It'll affect the whole team's morale and we don't want the same shit of a start last year.

If we had the money we should get Ireland, Johnson and Onouha (despite what most people in this thread thinks, I still feel we need back-up at the back), because of their age and that they probably have a point to prove considering the lack of chances they have back in city. But we don't have the money, perhaps a loan?
Rob Aldread
59   Posted 26/07/2010 at 21:30:07

How would we feel about this scenario: I could see Lescott being in the Red Shite line up by the start of the season. I suppose I might feel a little better if LadyBoy went the other way at the same time though!
Brendan O'Doherty
60   Posted 26/07/2010 at 22:08:11

A lot of people seem to be forgetting that he had a relatively poor season at City last year, even when he wasn't injured.

Just goes to show that it was David Moyes that taught him how to defend properly, and he didn't take all of that with him.
Richard Harris
61   Posted 27/07/2010 at 00:14:43

We got an exhorbitant fee for an above average player and the delay in the transfer just raised the fee in our favour. Lescott may have been badly advised by his agent and didn't handle the situation very well but he shouldn't have been made a scapegoat for our appalling start to the season. If Moyes and the team were destabilised by one player leaving then how would we have handled a real crisis?
Jamie Crowley
62   Posted 27/07/2010 at 03:24:41

Conor (48):

Bellamy might give a sizable portion of money for a good cause and I commend the man (as if he gives a shit whether or not I do so). It's the way he conducts himself on the field that really annoys me.

I'd probably backtrack in a heartbeat if he came in and bagged 15 goals and stuck around for 2-3 years contributing to Everton with his superb pace down the wing. I'd say he acted like a brat b/c he's such a competitor and wants to win that badly. He just seems like a spoiled child pitching fits all the time.

I do think it's fantastic he does good with all he has outside the game. But he can do that good wearing another jersey and not represent Everton.

And O'Doherty (34) shows just how silly someone like me can get with all this. I sincerely enjoy watching Stephen Ireland play and I'd love to see him do it in a Blue shirt. But if things got bad who's to say he wouldn't grab a flight at our expense back to Cork b/c his granny passed?

So one guy acts like a jerk on the field and apparently is saint-like off it, but I'd not have him. The other seems fantastic on the field but gets caught in webs of lies off it, and I'd have him in a second.

I dunno.... and I love guys you can not only admire their play but root for them b/c they seem like "good eggs". Guess I'll have "Cahill" printed on the back of my jersey and stop all the Ireland / Bellamy nonsensical thinking....
Jamie Crowley
63   Posted 27/07/2010 at 04:05:39

BTW - Lescott can still catch the first train to Hell for all I care. The thought of him returning??? I get a little throw-up in the back of my mouth.