Pienaar's return to training?

I've seen & heard zip regarding Pienaar's return to the fold followng the World Cup. Anyone know if he's actually back in town and in training yet? Seems to me he's had about a month off since Bafana Bafana exited.

I've found it difficult to make my mind up on Pienaar. He was excellent last season and on balance I think I'd rather have him inside our tent pissing out, rather than outside pissing in. But the silence surrounding his position is becoming deafening.

If he's playing hardnose with the club then it's pointless keeping him and waving goodbye to a decent transfer fee. Thus, if he & his agent are being dicks then we must get shut and push boat out for Donovan.

But, regardless of anything, I'd like to see some info on just WTF is going on with him.
Alan Kirwin, Arundel, Sussex     Posted 25/07/2010 at 13:32:32

Comments

Brian Williams
1   Posted 25/07/2010 at 16:36:12

Can't get shut without offers!!!!
Richard Murray
2   Posted 25/07/2010 at 16:35:44

Pretty sure I heard Moyes say something about him being back in training but that he had not been back for long enough (I think it was a few days) to be considered for the Preston game.
Jay Harris
3   Posted 25/07/2010 at 16:52:48

He was back in training Friday with everybody apart from Mucha,Heitinga and Howard, who are due in tomorrow.

It's only early days but, from what I've seen of Gueye so far, Pienaar may well end up on the bench.

I really can't understand why the club aren't taking a more hard-nosed approach with him and his agent. I would have originally set a 30-day period before the contract offer was withdrawn and the player transfer-listed.

These overpaid prima donnas need to get real. The club is always bigger than the player, even life without Rooney is not the disaster that some were predicting (not that I wouldn't like him in our team).
Aidy Dews
4   Posted 25/07/2010 at 16:57:16

Pienaar, Yak and Yobo were back in training last week, came back sometime like Wednesday or something like that and it was too close to the Preston game to consider them for selection, I heard.
Tony McNulty
5   Posted 25/07/2010 at 16:59:22

Along with everyone else, I think the birds in the trees know the position on Pienaar. In essence, we would like to keep him, but if he wants out, then any club would have to offer a Lescottish excess to tempt us. And if this were to happen, we would prefer it as soon as possible.

In the meantime, we are carrying on, encouraging our players, hoping that we can keep Pienaar and the rest of the squad intact before the end of August. Against such a background, the club saying nothing makes sense.

I am, however, slightly amused at the notion that anyone could actually expect any sort of update from our club on such a matter. Even when the final outcome of a screw-up is known (re: Gosling) the OS says rock all. The Goose has been rewritten out of history.

Alasdair Mackay
6   Posted 25/07/2010 at 16:58:39

I know that the official line was that the World Cup boys were back in training from last Thursday and I would assume that Pienaar is amongst them. Especially given that Heitinga was mentioned and Pienaar had about 2 weeks longer off than Johnny.

I think Tim has a little longer off, as he was part of the Aussie tour after the World Cup and didn't have much of a break.
Brian Hill
7   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:01:09

I bought a vuvuzela from him at some traffic lights in Cape Town yesterday.
Garry Martin
8   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:14:35

Stephen who???
Karl Jones
9   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:12:03

I have a feeling he will end up at Spurs/Arsenal towards the end of the window when they all start panicking and the stupid money gets thrown about.

As Jay says, Gueye looks more than capable of filling the left side side;

Gueye, Fellaini, Arteta, Cahill, Rodwell for the Blackburn game.
Brendan O'Doherty
10   Posted 25/07/2010 at 17:47:14

We've heard nothing because nothing is happening. It's still (relatively) early doors in the transfer window.

There is absolutely zero chance of any official info until something definitive happens. Judging by the Gosling fiasco, Pienaar might just disappear into thin air as well.

In the meantime, don't panic. Gueye is looking good.
Alan Kirwin
11   Posted 25/07/2010 at 18:49:37

No panic here, I was just curious if he was back or not, whether through official or unofficial channels.

It's amusing that some are already dismissing Pienaar's ability because Gueye looks good. Pienaar has just been Player of the Season, lest anyone should forget. As much as I'd offload him rather than keep a player whose mind is elsewhere, I wouldn't be so stupid as to undermine his ability. Wenger is quoted as saying Pienaar was one of the best players in the EPL last season. He actually made it into the team of the season of more than one experienced pundit. So please, easy on the sweeping statements.

Pienaar is an integral part of how we play football now. Observe how often he switches the play, as does Arteta, as do Spain & Barcelona. He has intelligence, skill, stamina, spunk and two good feet. Better he stays, unless his head has gone. Hopefully on this one Moyes will make the right call.

Afterthought: Last example of an Everton player seeking greener grass and finding straw, Lescott, is, according to rumours, surplus to requirements. I wonder...
David Hallwood
12   Posted 25/07/2010 at 19:41:49

Without sounding like a scratched record, can I remind everyone that Pienaar has never stated that he wants to leave, there hasn't been an offer for him. He hasn't put in a transfer request. That's the facts, end of.

FFS stop reading the Sun/Star/Mirror, you're only suppose to look at the pictures.

I got told by someone close to the club that he was off, but until it happens, he's an Everton player ? end of.

Andy Morden
13   Posted 25/07/2010 at 21:22:34

Whilst I really hope Gueye takes to life in Englisg football like a fish to water, it may be wise to recall that a) it is just pre-season, a lot of players look good in pre-season and then are shite in the the league. b) competetion, squad depth as well as the above points about Pienaar being a proven Prem performer and an important part of our team. Why do we wish to have the one-in-one out like-for-like mentality?

As David says, he's never said he wishes to leave. On older threads people have often questioned his quality in relation to number of assists and goals. Yes, perhaps he isn't as incisive as Arteta, but I would suggest that Pienaar's ability to create space for himself and others is an integral part of when Everton play good football. The guy never stops moving. I hope he stays.
Brendan O'Doherty
14   Posted 25/07/2010 at 21:51:24

Who is making sweeping statements, Alan?
Jay Harris
15   Posted 25/07/2010 at 22:30:47

David and Andy: he specifically hasn't said he's not going either and the contract renewal offer remains unsigned with the start of the season upon us.

Sounds to me like he's keeping his options open, not showing a desire to stay.

The club needs to take control of the situation IMO.
Frank Nolan
16   Posted 25/07/2010 at 23:27:01

Jay, the problem is that no club can take control of the situation when it comes to players and their agents. These guys have the whip hand and it's all about money.

I'd love SP to stay but no tears shed if he goes through the exit door as long as we get £10M for him.

He is young and unproven but, from what I saw at Deepdale yesterday, Moyes has discovered a jewel by the name of Gueye. Pienaar had better deliver big time because Gueye looks the real deal.
Kevin Gillen
17   Posted 26/07/2010 at 10:31:56

I'm not sure it's not us who have the whip hand here. Surely all three options on Pienaar are palatable:

Stay and see out your contract ? fine as long as you are committed, you never cost much.

Go somewhere else and the club is quids in again and can afford a replacement.

Or sign a new contract, do the right thing and become an Everton legend.

I don't feel held to ransom on this one but I agree with all the posts requesting him to stay. The lad is different class and his movement is sensational. He's a spunky little bugger too as last year's tackle on Mascherano proved...

Matthew Williams
18   Posted 26/07/2010 at 12:14:50

he has been back at the club training for a few days, if you look at his facebook page he sends update there. And before someone asks it is his official page

Alan Clarke
19   Posted 26/07/2010 at 14:34:12

He is a good player, Pienaar, but I don't think him leaving would be a disaster. If Arteta left, it would leave a massive hole in the team. I think the club need some answers from Pienaar about what his intentions are. If his plan is to fuck off then we need to get rid as soon as. I would then offer all his money to Arteta to make sure he stays.
Matthew Williams
20   Posted 26/07/2010 at 16:31:34

To be honest, I think Pienaar is more vital then Arteta, I think he is more creative and is more of a driving force; Arteta gives us more goals but Piennar seems to be improving each season with this.

Just say on his facebook "had a great days training today"

Let's hope he signs soon as well as Arteta.
Matthew Williams
21   Posted 26/07/2010 at 17:12:37

Some pics Steven put up from inside the locker room today...
Brian Baker
22   Posted 26/07/2010 at 17:50:08

Actually most of the media mischeif has started in the Daily Mail.

Rumour has it the Mail press editor is a closet red.
Andy Crooks
23   Posted 26/07/2010 at 18:42:41

Alan Kirwin, I think Pienaar's wonder goal against Arsenal has influenced Wenger and the rest of us. It can happen, you know. Think of Micky Walsh and John Fashinu. Both sold for way too much because of wonder strikes. I think losing Arteta would be a disaster but not Pienaar. Just get it over and done with.
Mike Dillon
24   Posted 26/07/2010 at 22:51:09

Maybe we haven't heard anything because Everton conduct business behind closed doors...?
Richard Harris
25   Posted 27/07/2010 at 00:09:26

My brother-in-law's cousin's nephew works at White Hart Lane so I'll keep you posted of any sightings :0)
Damian Scott
26   Posted 27/07/2010 at 11:59:34

He has been posting pics up on his official twitter over the past day or so from Finch Farm, so I guess he is back and training...

Iain Love
27   Posted 27/07/2010 at 15:20:27

Didn't Bily have more goals and assists last season than Pienaar ?
I like Pienaar and dont want him to leave , my problem with him is his end result, be honest it's a bit crap really.