Kevin Prince Boateng

It appears that Boateng has mentioned in passing that there is interest from Everton and Liverpool in signing him. Is it possible he may be looked at as a possible replacement for Pienaar if he is leaving?
Tony Hughes, Liverpool     Posted 27/07/2010 at 07:55:31

Comments

Dan McKie
1   Posted 27/07/2010 at 14:20:09

Good player, but if we replaced Pienaar with him then I think we would be losing a little. He's more of a central box-to-box midfielder in my opinion, and remember that after Arteta, Pienaar is by far and away our most creative player. That is what would need replacing. Boateng is nothing we don't already have.
Christian Yandell
2   Posted 27/07/2010 at 14:27:45

Sounds like a player talking about 'interest from big clubs' to try and get noticed and get a transfer.

Probably end up at West Ham or Sunderland, which is about his level I suggest.
Jay Dawson
3   Posted 27/07/2010 at 14:46:10

He looked a great player at the World Cup, but I didn't even realise he was any good after a full season with Pompey last year, so naaaa.
Kevin Hudson
4   Posted 27/07/2010 at 14:56:29

I think it would be difficult for David Moyes to accommodate both him AND his ego at our club. No thanks!
Aiden Doyle
5   Posted 27/07/2010 at 15:03:10

An excerpt from a interview he gave earlier this year:

?The best clobber was important to me ? and that I was known in nightclubs. It got completely out of hand," he added.
"I bought three cars in one day. For a high six-figure sum I got a Lamborghini, a Hummer and a Cadillac Oldtimer.
"In addition, from that time I still today have around 200 caps, around 20 leather jackets and 160 pairs of shoes.
"I had, because of my frustration, an enormous appetite for shopping."
He remarked that he had 'no desire to train in the morning' and sometimes 'squandered inconceivably large amounts of money in the nights'.
"But it all did not make me happy. I was broken, in another world," he added.

The guy?s got reasonable talent but has had some pretty major off-field issues. Can?t see Moyes wanting to touch him with a bargepole.
Colin Potter
6   Posted 27/07/2010 at 15:15:00

Kevin Hudson, spot on ! He had a good world cup, and thats all he's ever done of note
Christian Yandell
7   Posted 27/07/2010 at 15:36:28

Jay & Colin are you sure you are not thinking of his brother, Jerome? Which games did he play well in?
Alasdair Mackay
8   Posted 27/07/2010 at 15:30:19

I saw that too Aiden (5), but just playing devil's advocate for a second...

All this is spoken in the past tense and refers to his time as midfielder number 436 in the Tottenham squad of two and three years ago. He has learnt the hard-way that a big salary and sitting on the bench does not lead to happiness.

Fast-forward to last season and he is one of the players of the season at Portsmouth, where he wasn't getting paid on time for most of the season and suffered relegation and missing a penalty in the FA Cup final. He also joined the Ghanaian national squad weeks before the WC, forced his way in to the team ahead of Stephen Appiah and was one of the stand-out performers for them. He is clearly mentally in a different, more positive place then he was when he joined Spurs. He has been knocked by a club he was probably good enough to play for and rejected by his country in the last 18 months and come out of it all a stronger person and a better player.

Do I think he is good enough for Everton - yes. But I am not sure we could afford him and his position of box-to-box midfielder is not a priority. We need cover at left-back and a resolution to the Pienaar and Arteta situations. Nothing else matters, right now.
Tony Hughes
9   Posted 27/07/2010 at 15:42:14

If Boateng wouldn't be the answer what about Jaime O'Hara guys?
Alasdair Mackay
10   Posted 27/07/2010 at 17:17:06

Tony - I agree with that as well.
O'Hara is a great player, but I'm not sure central midfield is a priority. We have Rodwell, Arteta, Neville, Osman, Heitinga, Fellaini. Bilyaletdinov can play there as well and Cahill of course.
I think we need to hold onto what cash we have until the Pienaar situation is resolved. We may need to strengthen down the flanks.
David Chait
11   Posted 27/07/2010 at 18:15:59

Not good enough.. non-starter.
Rob Murphy
12   Posted 27/07/2010 at 18:34:56

Is Jaime O'Hara that 1/3 English, 1/3 Irish, 1/3 Spanish fella at Spurs!!
Ian Evans
13   Posted 27/07/2010 at 18:38:36

I think he would be a great addition to the squad - bags of talent and obviously not short of confidence. Could play anywhere across midfield 5 and I can see him playing a similar role to Pienaar on the left if he does go.

Still only 23. a 4m signing could well be seen as a 10m player by the end of the season. Thought he was excellent against us at Portsmouth this season in a poor side remember.

Having said all that, it's just a rumour!!

Gerry Morrison
14   Posted 27/07/2010 at 18:48:29

Rob, if he is, then somebody needs to explain the mathematics of his parentage to me.
Jay Dawson
15   Posted 27/07/2010 at 19:18:18

#7 Christian
He played well against USA and scored, and had a great game versus Uruguay and was unlucky not to reach the semi's with Ghana. I think he would of been a good player for us if we had the same squad as we had 3 seasons ago but we now have the best midfield in years and he wouldn't fit in, also, according to sources,he is a bit of a bellend which we don't need to disrupt the harmony at the club :)
Duncan McDine
16   Posted 27/07/2010 at 20:03:29

Have we not learned anything.... plays midfiled for Ghana, has a few mental issues... remind you of anyone?
Jamie Morgan
17   Posted 28/07/2010 at 09:28:40

I don't rate him higher than the personnel we have in central midfield. I agree that we are just having our name thrown in to get potential buyers to make a move. We dont have any money either!

Right now ,the only signings I want are contract extensions for Pienaar and Arteta. (Oh, and loan deal with SWP for the right flank would be a bonus!)

Tony Hughes
18   Posted 28/07/2010 at 10:59:20

Agree with sorting Arteta and Pienaar but wouldn't have SWP (Is this abbreviation for Shite Wing Play?) ? shocking first touch, no obvious football brain, and poor crossing ability.
Richard Reeves
19   Posted 28/07/2010 at 20:24:55

I would stay well clear. My initial thoughts about this player are that he's a bit self-obsessed and would play for himself more than the team. Let's hope we sort out Pienaar and Arteta with new contracts, start the season, get to January (hopefully in a position around the top 4) and see what we need from then.
Anthony McNicholas
20   Posted 28/07/2010 at 20:33:51

Gotta agree with Tony... he had one good season with Citeh... Chelski paid well over the odds...bit like Citeh are having to now.

Get Arteta and Pienaar signed up for a 2-year extension... CL this season and then onwards and upwards.

Kevin O'Regan
21   Posted 28/07/2010 at 21:14:49

Do we want scumbags in our team? Even if they play decent football?

This guy accepted an out-of-court fine yesterday for demolishing 13 cars after a night out in Berlin, has serious personal issues, and is not a Moyes type of personality. No, thanks.

Noel Lynam
22   Posted 28/07/2010 at 22:17:36

Re Kevin O'Regan @ 21

"Do we want scumbags in our team?"

Wasn't Pienaar charged with and convicted of drink-driving? Are you then advocating that we get rid of Pienaar on those grounds?

The difference between Pienaar and KPB is that Pienaar got lucky and didn't smash anyone else's car(s).

Agree with Tony Hughes ? O'Hara would be a better option and could provide much needed cover for left back. Fits the Moyes profile too ? young, British, hungry and (moderately) talented.
Chris Fisher
23   Posted 29/07/2010 at 14:10:46

I'd have him, he's quality, bit moody... but so would you be if you played for Pompey!
Jason Lam
24   Posted 30/07/2010 at 02:54:43

Let's have Dindane on the wing instead.