Match day radios at Goodison Park!!

We are a comapny who have come up with an idea of selling radio headsets that provide live match commentary at Goodison Park.

The radios will provide commentary of the game, as well as both pre- and post-match analysis also. The radios would have a battery life of at least ten hours, with the opportunity to replace the battery when it runs out.

In order to go ahead with the idea we are required to do some market research to see if there is interest for the product. The questionnaire contains 10 questions and we would be delighted if you would spend 2 minutes of your time completing it for us.

Thank-you very much.

Chris Palmer, Everton     Posted 28/07/2010 at 12:17:55

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
1   Posted 28/07/2010 at 16:41:12

Chris, it sounds like an idea that may have legs... but where's the questionaire?

Send us a link or something!!!
Christian Yandell
2   Posted 28/07/2010 at 17:11:20

Chris,

I would be keen to give it a go. I find it briliant when I watch the cricket and it really enhances my match experience, so why not at GP?

Let me know if you need me to complete something...
Tony J Williams
3   Posted 28/07/2010 at 17:17:03

Sounds ok until you realise that you are actually watching the game anyway so someone telling me who is on the ball at the moment would seem a little redundant.

The pre-match stuff would be useful.
Mark Stone
4   Posted 28/07/2010 at 17:22:23

Being devil's advocate, what would the atmosphere be like if everyone was listening to their headset?
Peter Warren
5   Posted 28/07/2010 at 17:28:46

I think it's an awful idea which won't get off the ground. Don't waste your money.

You don't need commentary unless you're blind and at the match. Perhaps pre-game, half-time, post-game analysis but most people I suspect prefer doing this with a beer and chatting with their mates, then watching analysis and listening to commentary on Match of the Day.
Kevin Hudson
6   Posted 28/07/2010 at 17:34:19

Absolutely ridiculous. No way.

For a start, the commentary would be half a second behind the action. The often vociferous nature of Goodison would all too often drown out the inane chatter. It would also isolate the individual from the banter we all enjoy.

This may indeed work well in more genteel sports such as cricket and horse racing, but in the fast-paced world of football, commentary only works IF YOU DON'T GO THE GAME.

I enjoy being sat amongst 10,000 co-commentators in the Gwladys, and to think of them all wearing headsets is to foresee the unique atmosphere impacted upon detrimentally by this stupid idea.
Simon Lloyd
7   Posted 28/07/2010 at 17:49:36

Is it April 1st?
Charles King
8   Posted 28/07/2010 at 17:40:11

Difficult one, when at the game I can suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, but I can't listen to the radio when Everton play.

Years of radio commentators saying welcome back to Goodison where the opposition have just equalised/taken the lead etc have made me associate live broadcasts with bad luck.

Can't watch 'em on telly live either.
Karl Masters
9   Posted 28/07/2010 at 17:50:59

With the fan base ageing, it would probably appeal to some... and make Goodison like a library in years to come!

You go to Goodison to enjoy the atmosphere and you can watch it again on telly later if you could not quite see what happened at the other end of the pitch.

It would not appeal to me, but as I said earlier there will always be someone daft enough! Sorry, but this is not the future of live football as I want or see it.
Conor Ryan
10   Posted 28/07/2010 at 17:50:37

I did it myself at Goodison with a radio cap and headphones when I was a kid. It does work, and there's no delay issue. You will make money for a short while for sure but it's hard to say if it would catch on. The idea of everyone with headphone's like some kind of silent disco doesn't appeal to me so I kinda hope it doesn't work. Especially if it's privately owned and we don't make the cash, however relevantly small that might be .
Gerry Quinn
11   Posted 28/07/2010 at 17:59:52

Is it shaped like a Vuvuzela, Chris?
Ellen West
12   Posted 28/07/2010 at 18:11:05

Do I have to be at Goodison to use the headphones? Or could I be lounging on a beach in Cuba listening to the match? If NO to the second one, I'm not interested.
Brendan O'Doherty
13   Posted 28/07/2010 at 18:50:30

Which broadcaster will this commentary come from? And the pre- and post-match analysis? Co-commentators? Pundits? Are there broadcasting rights?

I'm inclined to agree with Simon Lloyd (#6), especially as the questionnaire is invisible.
Eugene Ruane
14   Posted 28/07/2010 at 18:59:56

I can see the following scenario.

All those regularly wearing headphones become TOO used to having them (either fully on, or dangling round their necks).

Over time they become surly and miserable and eventually can't go anywhere without them.

You ask "Hey mate, where does the 81..."

They 'tut', immediately put the headphones on and ignore you.

Eventually the headphone-wearers stop communicating altogether and become totally removed.

Unthinking husks, permanently scowling and presenting to the world an image of hostile dissatisfied, petulance.

I'm not saying this will DEFINITELY happen.

But it's what happened to footballers.
Kevy Quinn
15   Posted 28/07/2010 at 19:27:37

I think it works well in the Snooker, but sorry no way should it be introduced to Goodison.

Maybe The Emriates might be a better option to introduce it. We know they like to keep the noise down there.
Garry Corgan
16   Posted 28/07/2010 at 19:39:14

There's more money to be made by renting/selling them to the club and having them rent them to fans on a per-match basis.

This model would work particularly well if the headset vendors provided their own commentary, relevant to the target audience. It'd also give a USP over taking a radio to the game. Remember, times have changed and most people can now receive AM/FM and even DAB radio on their phones nowadays.
Iain Love
17   Posted 28/07/2010 at 19:48:08

Duncan McDine
18   Posted 28/07/2010 at 20:25:01

Hi Chris, the level of negativity on some threads just makes me cringe sometimes! The bloody miserable sods on The Dragons Den would have given you an easier time.

Anyway, I think its a decent enough idea for some fans... but the price will be the most important factor. Let's see your questionaire, and I'll happily fill it in.

Cheers, and good luck. Dunc.
Alex Kociuba
19   Posted 28/07/2010 at 21:01:44

I have seen match day radios advertised elsewhere; they're already on the market now. They are capable of tuning into a 'hidden' frequency which is used by match officials and internal broadcasts.

The novelty would wear off in the first 45 mins of its use in my opinion. The only reason I can think of to listening to anything at the match maybe to tune in to five live to listen to scores in other games.
Alex Kociuba
20   Posted 28/07/2010 at 21:06:33

Radio which doesn't even need batteries; £9.99.
Ellen West
21   Posted 28/07/2010 at 22:05:27

Hmm, Argos, with its laminated Book of Dreams to catch your tears of joy.
Tony Doran
22   Posted 28/07/2010 at 22:09:31

If we were getting wellied at half time could we retune to some Tamla motown.
James Wong
23   Posted 28/07/2010 at 22:42:16

I'm confused... wouldn't a normal radio be sufficient?
Larry Boner
24   Posted 29/07/2010 at 00:16:14

I remember in 1986, Everton v Southampton; Liverpool away to Chelsea... we had to win and they had to lose for us to retain the title. My brother and me in the Upper Gwladys. Everton ahead, then a rush of excitement goes all round the ground, even the bench picked it up: "Chelsea are winning 1-0!" was the cry. Cue singing and mass hysteria all round us.

Then a lone voice a couple of rows ahead of where we were sitting, a guy with an anorak and a radio "It's 1-0 to Liverpool, Dagliesh has just scored." I have never seen such an outpouring of hate towards a fellow human being as was directed at this poor soul, you would have thought he had scored the goal himself, people calling him a liar, a red... it was brutal. Needless to say, he quickly put the radio away as it had nearly cost him is life.

It was a unusual then for people to have radios at the game, but now everyone has someone sitting close to them with an iPhone telling anyone who will listen what the current scores are. All I want at the game is Everton to sort out the stupid TV screens they have at the corners of the ground, either show the game or turn them off. I would much rather just watch the game.

Matt Lavery
25   Posted 29/07/2010 at 01:24:20

James Wong #23... are you right?!... well, you're not wong!

Someone needed to say it!
Eugene Ruane
26   Posted 29/07/2010 at 02:15:52

James Wong ? personally I think eyes and ears are sufficient

Matt Lavery.

Er... no they didn't. Nob-head! >(but someone DID need to say that!)
Albert Dock
27   Posted 29/07/2010 at 06:58:00

I've thought of something even better.

It's a sort of screen thing that is attached somehow or other to image capturing devices. These screen thingies will actually show what is happening on the pitch, thereby saving you the bother of leaving the bar.

Trouble is I don't know what to call it.
Tony X Williams
28   Posted 29/07/2010 at 07:05:04

Sounds great, I'm in Thailand please send me a pair ;o)
Anthony Fox
29   Posted 29/07/2010 at 08:51:30

Won't the commentary be slightly behind the run of play?? Knowing how quick the game is now, won't this mean you will see the goal and then hear the commentary and thus it will be obsolete?

It's a great idea for before the game for the build-up but how many people are in the ground early enough? Plus how would handing out and getting the headsets back be policed? Could be a major headache.
Glioris Nicolaou
30   Posted 29/07/2010 at 09:08:03

"If you can get that bloke from Come Dine with Me doing the commentary, it would be worth it!" Iain Love.

Superb comment! Now that i would pay for!
Colin Potter
31   Posted 29/07/2010 at 09:08:35

If I was you Chris, I'd get me coat !!!
Simon Lloyd
32   Posted 29/07/2010 at 09:02:56

On reflection, the comments might be somewhat negative. I suppose you could wear the headphones, shut your eyes tight and you could almost imagine you were actually at the game. Oh, hang on a minute.......
Tony J Williams
33   Posted 29/07/2010 at 09:40:43

Ellen, 21, great Bill Bailey quote, maybe the radio could be powered by the tears of squirrels.
Tony J Williams
34   Posted 29/07/2010 at 09:50:55

More worrying is that I have just been given a rumour (I know, I know) that Jags has done his knee again and Arteta has been offered £110k a week by City but not guarranteed footy and the Spain thing is all a red herring. Don't know how true it is but could be worrying.
Chris Butler
35   Posted 29/07/2010 at 11:02:07

Look, this is stupid. First of all you can barely hear yourself think with the PA system before the match, so how can you hear the radio without damging you ears. And (am I the only sane one here?) if you pay £30 to go to the match, you have a visual commentary already... although I would agree with the sales of these where people have restricted views.
David S Shaw
36   Posted 29/07/2010 at 11:15:27

What atmosphere is this?
Alan Clarke
37   Posted 29/07/2010 at 11:42:02

Perhaps you could just supply the radios to people in the restricted view seats or those who sit at the back of Gwladys Street or Bullens who can't see when the ball goes up in the air.
Damian Scott
38   Posted 29/07/2010 at 11:43:54

Hmmm... if I was at the game, I would have to say that I don't think I would like to listen to the commentary...

The only reason I have ever had a radio/ear piece is for the ref-talk when I go to rugby matches... I even find that a bit distracting. Sitting in a row with a couple of mates, we have to put them on opposite ears so we can still talk to each other, e.g. mate to my left puts it on his left ear, I put it on my right ear etc...

Ref-talk in football I think would be hilarious to hear...
Matt Lavery
39   Posted 29/07/2010 at 13:21:14

Eugene Ruane

Just a joke lad, sort yourself out.

Here's another one, just for you... you're a cock! you're a cock!

If you don't watch the tv shows then you won't get it. Again it was all just a bit of fun AND I completely agreed with him which is what I was saying "needed to be said" for.
Craig Walker
40   Posted 29/07/2010 at 13:30:20

"Chris. Let me tell you where I am. This is ludicrous. It's an idea and not a business and for that reason, aam ooot."
Conor Ryan
41   Posted 29/07/2010 at 14:31:38

Chris #35: "... so how can you hear the radio without damaging you ears?"

Very true. I remember having to listen to it on full blast, resulting in a full-blown earache after the match.

Eugene Ruane
42   Posted 30/07/2010 at 02:34:57

Matt Lavery 'lad'.

That you can see the name Wong and think "must get on TW and post my 'two wongs" gag tells me debating anything with you would be pointless.

So I won't.

I will simply ask you two questions.

1) Do you know this is not Bluekipper?

2) How many witless, oafish dolts do you think James might have heard this shite 'joke' from during his life?

(I'm guessing it's in the trillions)
John Pendleton
43   Posted 30/07/2010 at 10:37:55

If these headphones block out the Operation Goodison announcements, I'll buy a pair.
Matt Lavery
44   Posted 30/07/2010 at 12:23:00

Eugene, have you seen my surname? How many "oafish" dolts do you think I've received throughout my life in school both when I was young and since I've started teaching?

I'm sorry I made a joke and did indeed forget that I was not on "Bluekipper", therefore I wholeheartedly apologise to James Wong if HE took offence to it. Taking the defensive side of someone you don't even know so staunchly is commendable, however, who is to say that James did take offence to it? Perhaps its much like for me - Mr "Lavatory" and Mr "Toilet" are much like water under the bridge to me... oh sorry, there I go again, forgetting that I'm not on Bluekipper!

Again if James was upset by my remark, I entirely apologise, but please don't think yourself mightier than me by not having humour in your life. And also, I apologise for the use of the word "lad", its a common word used in Liverpool and wasn't meant to upset you. Again I guess we each have our own parameters as to things we take offence to.

Yours, truly chastised,

Mr Lavatory
Eugene Ruane
45   Posted 30/07/2010 at 18:55:21

Matt, what an extraordinarily long way of saying 'I'm a teacher'.

I don't know what subject you teach, but having read:

"..but please don't think yourself mightier than me by not having humour in your life"

And:

"Taking the defensive side of someone you don't even know so staunchly is commendable"

I'm guessing you spend most of your day in a track-suit, or making lamp-stands out of wood.
Matt Lavery
46   Posted 30/07/2010 at 19:38:49

One last message from me as my fingers are full of splinters and my back is in agony!

I don't quite see any problem with the sentences as they are entirely correct. And no you're summations are entirely incorrect, although I do "coach" the beautiful game, albeit badly.

Enjoy your summer Eugene and seriously this has been fun!

COYBB! And if you know your History!!