Magaye Gueye

Many on this site have been crying out for Everton to buy a pacy midfield player... well, I think we have the answer to that problem in Magaye Gueye.

I've watched all the pre-season games on EvertonTV and every time he's played he's impressed me enormously. He's got skill, vision, pace and a good finish on him. He's maybe not a starter yet, but he'll be a great impact player for us this season, in my opinion.

I know it's only pre-season but he's excited me from what I've seen from him so far... yet another Moyesie bargain buy.

Ian Tod, Liverpool     Posted 29/07/2010 at 10:56:56

Comments

Josh Holmes
1   Posted 29/07/2010 at 14:02:09

I totally agree. I do believe he has all the attributes to be a very good player in the future. Hopefully the near future, as his strengths are what we're lacking.
Dan McKie
2   Posted 29/07/2010 at 14:05:21

He has looked decent. I know some will point to the opposition he has faced so far, but he has shown willingness to run at defenders, track back and always shows for the ball. If he continues that, then he should do well, even against the much higher calibre of opponents he will soon face.
Norman Merrill
3   Posted 29/07/2010 at 14:11:51

Ian, he was mentioned during the France v Croatia U19 semi final on Tuesday night. He has played for France in the U16, U19, U20 and U 21 teams, and is very highly thought of in his home country. It seems Moyes may have made the timing right for signing the boy.
Tony Hughes
4   Posted 29/07/2010 at 14:22:20

It would be great to have a player who can go past defenders with pace and also it would appear we have out done Wenger who tends to spot these young French players.
Glioris Nicolaou
5   Posted 29/07/2010 at 15:47:06

This season, I really don't think we needed the huge big name signings a lot of people were crying out for. To my mind, what we need is more quality in depth for when players are injured, particularly in regards to attacking threat. Let's all hope Gueye fits the bill, because if we can achieve on the paltry sums we are spending then we could really turn the corner this season.
Brendan O'Doherty
6   Posted 29/07/2010 at 16:13:34

Agree Ian. He looks a great prospect. Some players adapt quickly to the PL and he looks like he might be one of them.
Dan Parker
7   Posted 29/07/2010 at 17:09:42

No doubt the press will be tipping Man City, Spurs and Arsenal to be buying him from us next summer!
Brendan McLaughlin
8   Posted 29/07/2010 at 17:15:00

Buying Dan! He'll probably leave on a free!
David Hallwood
9   Posted 29/07/2010 at 19:17:36

Now now gents, give the lad a break. Apparently he's done really well in pre-season, but that doesn't mean much. Don't put too much expectation on his shoulders, because as we know on TW players can go from shite to world class (and back again) in 5.2 seconds.
Jay Harris
10   Posted 29/07/2010 at 20:26:40

It is early days as David says but I like his control and excellent first touch. Technique like that seems to be totally foreign to English players.

Let's see how he responds to a forearm smash from the RS animal Carragher and some of the other henchman in the Prem... then we can make our minds up.
Frank Nolan
11   Posted 29/07/2010 at 21:20:00

Brendan @ 8.

On a free? Moyes has signed him on a 5-year contract.
Iain Love
12   Posted 29/07/2010 at 22:27:22

Please, please, please, don't turn this other fella into a Coleman saga, certainly the reports sound good but let Moyes make the decisions throughout the season.
Peter Bourke
13   Posted 30/07/2010 at 03:24:11

Got to agree with this post.

I watched him live here in Australia and he is very highly skilled. I know the opposition wasn't first class but you can only play what's in front of you and he was one of our more impressive players.

What I liked equally though was his attitude. I can remember him being very hard on himself after making a mistake during training and discussing this with Moyes as soon as he left the pitch. It was obvious he is very eager to please his new boss and I believe success has a lot to do with attitude, not just footballing talent.

Richard Dodd
14   Posted 30/07/2010 at 07:55:11

Latest info I have has him about to go out on loan (to Blackpool?) with Coleman. They`ll both probably get more prem experience that way.
David Ellis
15   Posted 30/07/2010 at 10:16:22

Iain Love ? You are on to something there. Gueye would indeed make a better right back then either Hibbert or Neville!
Gerard May
16   Posted 30/07/2010 at 12:37:35

My 8 month old daughter would make a better right back than Hibbert or Neville.
Jonathan Field
17   Posted 30/07/2010 at 12:52:31

I think this is Hibbert's year...
Andy Crooks
18   Posted 30/07/2010 at 13:21:14

Richard, I have never been sure when you are taking the piss so please, for someone slow on the uptake, tell me this is another wind-up.
Tom Bowers
19   Posted 30/07/2010 at 18:45:12

Hopefully he will be pressing for a start soon. Midfield is where the games are won and lost and with our injuries there last season it cost us in the end. Arteta, Fellaini and Pienaar look to be shoe-ins, form and injuries permitted but Ossie and Biley are still not consistant performers.