Members:   Log In Sign Up

Shall we have a whip round?

I woke up feeling a little bit like Everton this morning. Pay day ? money in the bank, great. You?d think? By Monday morning, I'd have paid the bills, brought the weeks shopping and had a curry on Saturday night. This leaves me, all in all, skint.

Bill and Dave, I now realise how you feel. Money comes in one hand and straight back out the other. It seems you can work as hard as you want but the core foundations are just not in place to establish enough for a new pair of jeans that would improve my look / a new player who would improve the team?

This morning, news has broken regarding Landon Donovan?s future. He has recently been quoted saying that he would love a return to his beloved Blues. I for one would love to see him return to the club. I thought he brought a fantastic edge to our side that we have been lacking for years. Pace, direction, ability to best a man and a brilliant work rate meant he became an over-night success in the eyes of the Gwladys St faithful.

A considerable amount of shit has been published in the rags over the last few weeks regarding the future of our players. Most notably Jags to the Arse and Arteta and Pienaar to just about every team in Europe. Is one of these players dispensable if it meant having the funds to recruit the Yank from across the pond?

Firstly, in my eyes, Jags and Arteta are the only two members of our squad who I would label unsellable. I believe Fellaini will also be added to that list in the next season or two but as it stands, those two instrumental facets of our great club MUST stay. They are the spine of our team.

Jags has been instrumental and I truly believe he is not only a great defender, but a much needed voice of authority both on and off the pitch. The same goes for Mikel, who, in my humble opinion, would grace any side in world football (with the exception of Barcelona). He is our maestro; he keeps us ticking and can unlock doors. These two, for the money we would get for them, would be irreplaceable. We simply could not attract equal or better replacements. This leads me to my second point. We have an ex-player across the ocean waxing lyrical about ?his? Everton, and the great time he had with us. That commitment says it all! If only all our players had as much faith in what we are trying to build here. I am a true believer that with our current squad and a couple more additions we would, baring injuries, compete with the best of them. Give us Man City?s money and we?d walk the league! Imagine a midfield of Pienaar, Arteta, Rodwell/Cahill, Fellaini and Donovan? no ones in the Prem is better.

So what to do? If Stephen definitely wants to leave? let him and take the money from one hand and spend with the other? on Landon. Or maybe we should have a whip round. The papers quoted £10 million for the yank. 100,000 blues each give £100 - £10,000,000 ? there, we?ve done it? if only it was that easy.

Let's have a whip round...
Tom Shrimpling, Liverpool     Posted 30/07/2010 at 09:46:13

Comments

Lloyd Sloan
1   Posted 30/07/2010 at 13:58:33

Got me thinking about Mark Hughes... Lescott... Donovan... and the Old Days...

Just under 12 months ago I stated:

"Mark Hughes. I once had huge respect for this man, even before he signed for us."

Yet because of Lescott...

"I just can?t wait to see [Hughes's] face at the end of the season, when City go on to finish 6th behind us, and he watches their European exploits as a Channel 5 commentator. The twat will be sacked, if not by Christmas, certainly by the end of the season."

Well... it seems he could still be watching City as a Channel 5 commentator, but also as Fulham manager.

The rhetoric he spouted about Everton last year, and "when a big club comes calling" has been slapped right back in his face. I admit, I was wrong, they finished 5th, not 6th, but we all knew he would be sacked before the season ended. But until somebody convinces me otherwise, to me, the man did our club an immense disservice.

Lescott... well if the rumours are proved to be true then "if the cap fits...." Unlucky.

Donovan... lovely quotes coming from the LA over the past 24 hours. Let's just hope that somewhere along the line we can afford it, he's willing, and the MLS relent.

The Old Days... when all we had was email, and lists, and subscriptions, and if somebody could afford webspace then they put up their own fanpage... seems like a million light years away, but while searching for a few old names, I found this here...

What of Frank, San, Tollet, Kenny, Richard, George and the rest. Indeed, what of Paul Preston? There's a guy I have in my head that everybody had a go at, until he disappeared and came back in a variety of guises, but I've lost touch. I'm sure Lyndon can help with most, but it'd sure be an interesting "Where Are They Now".

Most importantly... Lars???

Take care all.

Mark Hill
2   Posted 30/07/2010 at 14:03:53

Just saw this on another web site, and well got me rather twitchy....Is this the 'big' signing Phil Neville spoke about during the tour down under?

I really hope this is true...!! Fingers crossed eh...

Liam Reilly
3   Posted 30/07/2010 at 14:24:39

This has got to be a no-brainer, merchandising sales alone would cover this deal, albeit with a bit of forward thinking and planning.
Ciarán McGlone
4   Posted 30/07/2010 at 14:16:30

I think Jags is a good player... but I think a lot of people overlook his blunders and deficiencies. I'm absolutely gobsmacked that Arsenal are after him. A hoofer like Jags at centre half for Wenger?

For my money, Vincent Kompany is better than Jags. And he could be sale for cheap. I don't expect many people to agree with me, but Jags is certainly not irreplaceable at the rumoured £14mill price.
Tommy Gibbons
5   Posted 30/07/2010 at 14:50:12

Ciaran, do you ever have anything positive to say? Jags is not yet world class but he's as close to it as any other english centreback.. and if Wenger wants you, you can be sure your doing something right..as for the article, if its Donavan Moyes wants maybe he's just waiting for the Sky money.. why sell anyone?
Jay Harris
6   Posted 30/07/2010 at 15:31:08

Ciaran, I agree with you on Jags to a certain extent. His concentration (and he is not alone in that) and distribution both leave a lot to be desired but I feel where he scores points, especially with the supporters, is he puts his body on the line with blocks and last-minute tackles. But he doesn't score goals and is the most culpable hoof merchant.

The only problem is top class CB's are at a premium especially those with Prem experience. Distin is more of a worry for me.
Julian Wait
7   Posted 30/07/2010 at 16:35:32

9 is still an unassigned number. Iconic Everton 9 shirt with Donovan on the back perhaps?
Ben Jones
8   Posted 30/07/2010 at 16:48:30

Only thing I would say that is Heitinga is better than Jagielka... Heitinga's just as good as a defender with great passing and CAN play well in holding midfield. Jagielka for £14 million certainally isn't irreplacable, I'd probably take Lescott back if that happened to be honest.

I would also add that Fellaini is unsaleable at the moment, with probably Baines too because he'd be hard to replace.

Though I agree I'd love Donovan back. Finally provided us balance to the right side.

Anyone think maybe sell Yobo to fund it? I think he's been great for us and deserves first team football somewhere else. Find some decent Championship cum Premier League defender, like a Scott Dann who succeeded and is now decent for Birmingham. Or that Ogbonna would do, I've seen him play and he looks a great prospect.
Matthew Lovekin
9   Posted 30/07/2010 at 17:42:21

If there is any chance we could sell Pienaar now for £Xm and buy Donovan for the same £Xm, I'd do it in a second.

We risk losing Pienaar for nothing next summer and we may never be able to afford Donovan otherwise.
Charlie Percival
10   Posted 30/07/2010 at 16:19:23

Ciaran, Jagielka was the best centre half in the Prem pre-injury.

Post-injury, who knows? I think that's why only £15 mill is being quoted. If he regains his form and Moyes keeps him, assuming his knee isn't fooked, then he is easily worth £20M+. Same with Arteta, if the knee's strong he's worth £20M+, if not: £10-15M.

Moyes may sell the Yak, Jags and Arteta due to their injuries suffered. Anyone knows at any level, knee injuries are probably the most serious of injuries, along with ruptured achilles. Not many players get over knee problems.

Broken legs are probably easier to come back from as you usually come back stronger whereas, with the injuries those three suffered, you can only lose manoeuvrability. Don't be surpised to see them gone.

In Moyes I Trust.
Michael McIvor
11   Posted 30/07/2010 at 20:37:53

I'm happy with the squad at the moment. The only person I would be annoyed about losing would be Arteta. If we sold anyone else (who didn't want to play for Everton) then I wouldn't necesaarily be eagar to spend the money because I feel we have the necessary cover/personnel to fill many of the poistions that could or may become vacated (see Best XI posts).

Yes, I would like to see Donovan back but I'm not busting a gut about it and I certainly wouldn't advocate going into further debt to finance such a move.

I would be quite happy to sell one or two players, bank the money, tie up some player contracts (if possible) and 'shut up shop' until January at which time we could bring in Donovan on loan, if necessary.
Peter Laing
12   Posted 30/07/2010 at 22:58:22

Landon Donovan in my opinion is class personified and will certainly fit the bill in terms of wotk ethic and commitment. To hear the guy stating that Everton is his preferred destination is magic, especially considering the likely suitors who would be keen on signing him and the probable king's ransom they would be offering him. Word to Kenwright "Stop waxing your baloney in the Echo and get Donovan !"
Rob Hollis
13   Posted 30/07/2010 at 23:43:55

Liam (3)
Dick Fearon
14   Posted 30/07/2010 at 23:48:02

For once I agree with Ciaran @4, Jay @ 6 and Ben @8. It is an exaggeration to say Jags is a great centre back.
For my money he is forced into far too many last gasp tackles. That indicates poor positional sense.
He would also have to be one of our worst distributers of the ball.
IMO he is not unsellable but ony with the proviso that any sale is not allowed to linger on.
Andy Callen
15   Posted 31/07/2010 at 09:39:22

Jags IS unsellable THIS summer as Moyes has stated that no one will go. After the Lesscott fiasco last summer Moyes needs to show his word is true, and not give the impression to our rivals that Everton are a selling Club? However he is not irreplaceable like Arteta NSNO
Albert Perkins
16   Posted 31/07/2010 at 13:49:05

Why shouldn't Landon come to Everton? He says his loan visit was the best footballing experience he had. He fell in love with club and the fans and the PL. The MLS bosses don't want him come. But Landon said he would choose according to what is best for him.

Money. I think Landon is more concerned with enjoying his football environment than money. Such a refreshing attitude, especially as he makes a ton of dollars from sponsors anyway. So why shouldn't he come back to Goodison where he is family and can be part of a history-making team? We are all looking for players who are also fans of EFC and here we have one. It's a great fit.

Finally we have a player with a world class profile who willingly wants to join our team even if he has better financial offers elsewhere. Landon, I love you, come and get the Old Lady rockin and rollin!

Paul Carroll
17   Posted 31/07/2010 at 13:50:32

Now in light of Donovan's admission that he wants to come back to Everton (when was the last time we heard a player say that??), it's obvious that we have to sell to afford him.

Surely it's time to get some proper money for Pienaar who has not said a word about wanting to play for Everton in the last six month. If he wanted to sign a new contract he would have signed by now and isn't it better to have someone who wants to play at Goodison than someone who is clearly holding the club to ransom regarding his new deal??

Pienaar is technically more gifted than Donovan, but the American is going to give more for the cause. Plus, the £10 million which might be needed to get him on a 3/4 year contract will be a hell of a lot more easier if we get shut of Pienaar now.

And what about Donovan's wages??? I'm guessing it's half of what Pienaar turned down before the World Cup!!

Liu Weixian
18   Posted 01/08/2010 at 11:44:44

Rob Hollis:

"Liam (3)
I have been waiting about three months for some merchandise. We could not pay for a corner flag with the service. "

Rob, I went to get an Everton jersey last night and the only shop that would be selling it told me the Everton stock will only be arriving in OCTOBER. (I live in Singapore, by the way.)
To the Everton marketing and sales teams : WELL DONE!
Simon Watts
19   Posted 02/08/2010 at 01:19:14

We lost 4 million on Gosling. We could lose 15 million on Pienaar. That is pure loss when Pienaar goes without any worry, and feathering his bank balance. Do Everton need these type of people. On the other hand we could use this to get someone who wants to play for us. Donovan. Skill aside . He is pure dedication, fitness and hardwork. He wont complain if someone is on 10 bob more than him. For the extra Pienaar is asking in wages. Which is 65 thousand a week. That is 12 million in wages over 4 years. Get rid of these people for gods sake. They are horrible, greedy, ungrateful people.