Members:   Log In Sign Up

Bily

Another really well-taken goal from our Russian hitman today. Quite frankly if he can put in those chances a number of times through the season, especially in important games, I'll be a happy man.

I used to think Osman was our best player for finishing outside the box but Bily seems to be that man for the job now.

Never mind if he can get lazy in games and isn't the fastest, Everton have been cyring out for someone who can strike a ball as well as him for many years, and with his knack to be in the right area at the right time he should turn out to be a great player for us.

Let's get behind the lad and wish him good luck for the season, eh?
James Bernard, Liverpool/Merseyside     Posted 31/07/2010 at 17:42:23

Comments

Andy Codling
1   Posted 31/07/2010 at 17:59:56

Before his goal , he looked lazy, uniterested and incapable, but when he drifted into the middle he looked a lot better, a winger he is not.
Tony J Williams
2   Posted 31/07/2010 at 18:03:33

Andy, that's the problem. As you say, he is not a winger but Moyes obviously sees something in him and he may even be a replacement for Cahill, going forward that is.

He plays centre/left mid not on the wing and that is where Moyes saw him play and decided to pay a good wedge for him.

He may look lazy (which he isn't) but so did Le Tissier and that man was a genius.
John Crook
3   Posted 31/07/2010 at 18:47:32

The guy has an amazing strike/.execution of a moving ball but from a dead ball situation he is shite. It just seems strange as to why. I remember his 1st couple of game last season (Hull away 4-0 carling cup) when he was swinging the corners and free kicks in Andy Hinchcliffe style.

I watched the game today and his deadball play was again shite and i was at preston last week - once again shite. Something is seriously missing from this guys game. His school report would say could do better - I suspect his best position will be playing off a centre forward

Lynn Thorne
4   Posted 31/07/2010 at 19:36:47

I really want him to come good.
He definitely looks much better when he is in central midfield as opposed to on the wing. Trouble is, we have so many central mid fielders.
Nice to have options though

Gaute Lie
5   Posted 31/07/2010 at 23:58:52

Where is Heitinga and Yakubu? None of them in the sub liist either.

Do they still have vacation? I could understand Heitinga. but Yakubu??

He should play games and get in shape.
Gaute Lie
6   Posted 01/08/2010 at 00:01:16

Bing , btw, is like a russian sniper. He's far away when shooting, hardly moving at all.

BILY THE SNIPER IS HIS NAME
GETTING GLORIUOS GOALS HIS GAME

BILY THE SNIPER IS HIS NAME GETTING LAZY GOALS HIS GAME
Derek Thomas
7   Posted 01/08/2010 at 01:03:06

Bily, the Russian McFadden, the odd great goal every now and again, but worth a place in the starting 11? IMO ...No,

In the prem you can't afford to play most of the game with ten men; end of.
Brendan O'Doherty
8   Posted 01/08/2010 at 01:50:16

"Never mind if he can get lazy in games"

I certainly do mind if he is lazy in games. If he could get up to the pace of the game and put that with his obvious technical ability, then he could be an excellent player.

But it's too early to judge yet. I agree we should get behind the lad and wish him good luck for the season.
Dermot Ryan
9   Posted 01/08/2010 at 04:23:27

I really want Bily to succeed and I've been supportive of the purchase from the start (check the archive), but I have to agree somewhat with Derek: Even if he scores spectacular goals, it won't make up for lack of effort in midfield or defensive duties. Then he's only contributing to us conceding on the other end. I want Bily to be a legend, but I cannot ignore ongoing problems with his work rate. To be a great player in the premier league you have to put in some work at the back. Just check out Rooney, Drogba, Tevez. Bily claimed to be well-rested and raring to go, but I don't see any of that energy, even in the highlights. Such potential. Love that laconic non-muscular technical skill (ala le Tiss or Hoddle), but that is not enough in this league as currently played.
Dermot Ryan
10   Posted 01/08/2010 at 04:23:27

Chris James
11   Posted 01/08/2010 at 07:10:21

I've been on here in the past supporting Billy (albeit based on highlight evidence), but having seen his performance first hand at Carrow Road yesterday and being sat on the wing he was supposedly running for the second half I have to concur with a lot of what has been said previously. The lad just looks lost to be honest, he's running around (well I say running - more 'ambling' Berbatov style, puffing out his cheeks like he's just run a marathon) with no sense of purpose for most of the time and it seems the rest of the players are hesitant to pass to him, 2 or 3 times Arteta or Saha were running through and he was the obvious ball but they cut-back and passed inside instead.

The Norwich supporter next to me, even asked if he was one of our trialists or a youth team hopeful and was surprised when I told him he was a 8M+ Russian international. I said to him that he doesn't do anything all game but pops up with a cracking goal now and then...which he duly did minutes later.

Yes it was just a friendly and yes he has time on his side, but compared to Pienaar (how great it was to see him in blue again) and Baines (who was just awesome) on the left who I had the pleasure of watching up close first half he's just not at the races - hell even Hibbert got forward with more pace and purpose than Billy did. Nuff said. (On a related note Tony did look pretty solid to be honest and did a job first half at centre-back, whilst Coleman tried to come forward a lot with lots of flicks and runs but not an awful lot came off for him bar one surge).

Anyway, that's an elongated way of saying that Billy might well work out as an option in central midfield behind the striker (although even then his laconic style will struggle to fit into Everton's ball-winning play), but if he's our best option at right wing then Tony Hibbert is a 20-a-season man. I'd rather have Gueye, Victor or Coleman in there. Or perhaps, and here's an idea I haven't heard elsewhere, we could cash-in on the lad to free up some spondoolics for the winger we all really want...

Actually that's maybe a bit harsh, we do pride ourselves on team spirit and loyalty under Moyes (even if it's not always reciprocated) and I'm all for giving the guy a chance in the full season plus overall I can't be too dour about the game. Great weekend out that started on a high when I met Sharpy in the hotel bar and got better when I saw our lads play almost 90 minutes with the ball-on-the-deck and control large swathes of passing possession (it's just like watching Spain! - albeit with the same final ball issues at times).

Billy aside everyone looked pretty good, Arteta was constantly showing for the ball and prompting, Pienaar too was involved all over the pitch (and certainly didn't look like a player who's heart wasn't in it), Bainesy was class, Cahill has his goal-scoring boats on and put in a good stint in midfield, Distin was solid at centre-half and Hibbert filled in well (intriguing that the two goals were conceded when Yobo came on second half), Gueye showed more promise with some great movement, nice touches and a determination to run at players and Beckford was constantly running for the through ball (though not his day). Even Pip looked pretty good and kept his passes mainly to team-mates, although Rodwell showed much more from a similar position when he came on later in 2nd half. Despite shipping two, Howards was pretty solid dashing out to foil various attacks (hopefully when Johnny and Jags are back he'll have less of that to do), Saha looked very lively when he came on and was good to see Vaughan given a run-out too, even if he didn't make too much of an impression.

Oh and final shout goes to the other travelling fans, I was near to them but in the Norwich stand so couldn't join in with too much of the singing (well Norwich had been good hosts so only fair to be polite), but they were in good voice when required.
Eugene Ruane
12   Posted 01/08/2010 at 08:35:05

He does seem to have a knack, when he decides to shoot, of being able to put the ball where he wants it to go.

You see so many players approach a ball, about to leather it and you KNOW it could go anywhere.

Bily (when he's up with the play and in a position to receive the ball) I trust more than most.

Also, he often fools defences (and me) with how quickly his shooting leg moves.

It's not a big slow swing, more of a 'clip'.

The goal against Utd last year not only fooled their defence and keeper by where he put it and how fast, it fooled half the ground too.

He receives the bal..BANG! 1-1.

It was a great combination of speed and accuracy.

Hopefully he's got any nerves and settling in sorted and we'll see the best of him this season.

If you look at these clips (from Russia), he looks very relaxed, confident and very much 'the man' (and like he COULD be a winger)

For me he just needs the confidence to use the ability he obviously has.

Liam Reilly
13   Posted 01/08/2010 at 09:52:37

Not all wide players need to be fast, Beckham, Sheedy anyone? In fact with a lively Peanut on the left, Billy might provide a good balance/alternative.
Paul Thompson
14   Posted 01/08/2010 at 11:10:47

It's true that wide players don't need pace. But in the modern game they need to work hard and track back. Bily doesn't and both goals yesterday showed him missing in action. He could and probably wants to play behind the striker, but Cahill is first choice for that role. So. he either gets his finger out and starts working harder or will be used as an impact sub. The latter is much more likely than the former.
Josh Holmes
15   Posted 01/08/2010 at 13:14:31

I've watched him on Youtube from Russia a few time. I cant believe what a different player he looks. In Russia he looked so confident, and looked world class (Lower standard of league i know) But its more about his movement and attitude that looks different to me. I wonder if Moyes has watched the clip as many times as me and wondered the same.... why cant he do that here!
Derek Thomas
16   Posted 02/08/2010 at 21:22:56

Or maybe Bily could fit in / do a job ' here ' or ' there ' WHAT!

Fact: Moyes splashed out 8 or 9M + wages we couldn't afford to waste on a player that either;

1) was going to fit in RIGHT THERE.

Or,

2) He's another Koldrup, ' sorry lads bit of a cock up on the assessment front '

We will, I think find out by Christmas, it should be shape up or ship out, go hard or go home.

' Might ' do a job as ??? ??? my arse.

I hope he comes good, we can't afford the waste, maybe when it goes a bit colder.

If he does I will eat my words ( and I don't count the odd McFaddenesque goal )

But as of now that bitter dish is deep in the back of the freezer and shows no signs of defrosting.
Damian Scott
17   Posted 03/08/2010 at 16:36:59

He did come to us last season straight off the back of the russian season, so over an 18 month period, he didn't have a lot of rest....

I've seen enough from him last season to give him the benefit of the doubt. Russia not qualifying for the World Cup this summer was a blessing in disguise for him as he could get a proper break. Like all players of his type, his workrate is slightly lower than the workhorse we are used to at Everton... We need players of Bily's ability to move forward. We have enough hard workers in the team to allow players like him a bit more time on the ball etc....

If he is obviously taking the complete micky and doing nothing whatsoever, then Moyes has every right to tell him to work harder...

All the points made so far about his overall workrate are true, but we have to give him his first season in English football to settle in and get to pace. The second season for these kind of players is always crucial.... Just look at Fellaini and the amount of time it took him to settle..

All is not lost on our Bily..