ThaiBev - True Blues?

It's been widely reported that Thai Bev (no, not the cute girl in the GoGo bar that's actually a bloke) are looking to extend their 8 year association with Everton. The current 3 year deal was slated as being £8m, which putting that in context basically works out as covering the salary of one of our top earners.

In the apparent absence of an alternative, and given it's not like the club needs an excuse to change the strip, it seems logical to extend. Some interesting snippets about what else Thai Bev has done with Everton:

• Created the Chang-Everton school for orphans in Phuket. This generated a lot of positive PR in Asia about the club. There was a visit of senior players and management in 2005 during the ill-advised pre-season sweat fest in Bangkok.
  • Chang are on a major brand push around Asia. A couple of years back they plastered up a load of buses in Singapore in a joint Everton-Chang branded promotion. In a country that is dominated by the Sky Dahlings, this was kind of refreshing.
  • They hate Liverpool. I got told by someone in "the biz" that Chang and Carlsberg had a co-marketing deal to promote each others brands alongside their own in the respective territories in Europe and Asia (ever notice how the font of the Chang logo is remarkably similar to that of Carlsberg?). Thai Bev upheld their part of the bargain, and no doubt having been influenced by the Dark Side, Carlsberg did sweet FA in Europe. Cultural note: if you piss off a Thai, they'll smile sweetly at you and get their revenge. Unfaithfulness to a Thai girl can lead to a "Bobbit" job, but in this case Thai Bev decided that they would go and sponsor Liverpool's nearest rival. It may not be the best beer, but it sure is better than Carlsberg.
  • They sponsored our night out for us Singapore Blues for the FA Cup Final.
Overall, I think we've actually gotten more than just money out of the deal. Certainly more than I can ever remember from previous sponsors. Those of us who care about our "brand" overseas would hopefully agree.

This is another reason why I hope Everton sign Donovan. I'm sure we'd recoup the fee in brand and merch opportunities in the US comfortably. I know some on here aren't interested in the marketing / commercial side of the game, but it's become ever more important with the increase in TV revenues, and it's a case of having to step it up, or fall further behind.
Matt Traynor, Singapore     Posted 01/08/2010 at 11:34:12

Comments

Eric Myles
1   Posted 01/08/2010 at 15:29:43

The Chang / Carlsberg dispute is a bit more complicated Matt.

But here in Thailand as part of the WC coverage Chang were (still are) showing ads of all WC players that bear the Chang sponsorship on their shirts. So Everton are getting a lot of promotion seeing as Carlsberg isn't sold here.

Had to laugh though at a post a while ago describing Chang as a 'premium beer', it's quite the opposite here in Thailand.

All in all though I don't see why we couldn't do better moneywise.
Brian Waring
2   Posted 01/08/2010 at 15:49:07

The problem with the club Matt, is that the marketing dept is shite.
Jamie Barlow
3   Posted 01/08/2010 at 16:47:04

Surely we should see if we sign Donovan before we make any moves on the shirt sponsorship.
Matt Traynor
4   Posted 01/08/2010 at 16:43:48

Eric, I'm very much a Singha man myself. As regards the "Premium" brand, it's regarding in the same manner here in SG. The pubs that have it on draft sell it at a much lower price than Tiger. I'd pick Chang over Tiger any day, but at 2/3 the price or less? Without a doubt.

In terms of whether we could do better, it's a hard call. There are some companies out there that have pots of cash to throw into sports sponsorship, but of course there has to be a return on their investment. Whilst it's good to see Everton shirts in noticeable numbers here and in Thailand, the majority of people don't know we're actually from Liverpool, the first club, etc. etc. - and why should they? The TV coverage here is as up the arse of the Sky teams as Sky is - but they're "partners" so to be expected.

It's catch 22 in many regards. The only way to break it in the absence of a Sheik-down by investors, is to be successful so they couldn't ignore us - but again, catch 22...

Brian - my concern is more with the PR side. Putting aside the negative stories, I really don't think we do enough to capitalise on the good stuff to get our name out there. This is a sweeping generalisation but bear with me, 95% of overseas fans are the proverbial "glory hunters" - the others follow other teams for the most bizarre reasons! I've met "native" Everton fans in Singapore who like us cos of our history / heritage - they are "footy spotters", but many of them have saved up for years to make their pilgrimage to their Mecca - Goodison.
Chris Wilson
5   Posted 01/08/2010 at 17:15:08

I'd like more money out of them if possible. Maybe double or so? I looked up an article on the Daily Mail from 2009 (don't know if it's 100% accurate) but Arsenal and Man City both make 5 million/year and Fulham take 4 million from "LG".

I'd like for us to have a sponsor that can be put on kids jerseys and even the youth squads.
Wilson Tan
6   Posted 01/08/2010 at 18:19:53

Matt: I'm still saving up for my mecca to Goodison. Here's hoping Goodison remains by the time I get there.
Karl Masters
7   Posted 01/08/2010 at 20:28:29

I still find it strange they have not pushed selling the stuff in England a lot harder.

I know there is the Carlsberg tie up, but even so, I find it odd you don't see it in Thai restaurants even though you see Tiger and Cobra in Indian restaurants.

I think Everton could have done a lot worse, after all does anybody really remember our last Asian sponsor, Kejian, or have any idea what they did? The partnership has promoted our name in Asia, but the cash return needs to be higer fom EFC's point of view.
Rupert Sullivan
8   Posted 01/08/2010 at 20:34:44

There are several points to consider on this - firstly, 8m pounds for 3 years is very little compared with the monies that some other clubs are making, LFC are set to make nearly twice that in a single year with their new deal, and they are no longer a Champions League Club. So EFC making 8m over 3 years is in those terms pathetic.

Secondly, other than money, what do Chang do for EFC? Have you ever run a google search on Chang? No mention of Everton for about 5 pages, there is a Change EFC website, not linked to from the Change site, an no news or updates etc.

As far as I can see the benefit to EFC is little and poor.
James Flynn
9   Posted 01/08/2010 at 22:51:45

Matt - Dont mean to go away from your topic, but a question to anyone.

I clicked in here a bit ago and could swear I saw an article from someone purporting to be Kenright's nephew. Just then my wife called me and I went away for a few minutes. Came back and it's gone.

Did anyone else see this? Michael, did you take it off?
Brian Garside
10   Posted 01/08/2010 at 22:45:56

Big players don´t cost anything!!!
I site just two classic examples.
Both players cost a lot more to buy then than we would pay for LD now.
Zidane and Beckham.
These two players, and there are more examples, made a profit for their club!!! They did not cost RM anything,including their saleries.
Yes Brian #2. Stratergies and marketing.
This is a quids in all win deal.
DO IT NOW!!!
James Flynn
11   Posted 01/08/2010 at 22:59:17

OK, the comment was moved. I found it. Thanks anyway.
Eric Myles
12   Posted 02/08/2010 at 02:26:36

I'm with Chris, 8 mill over 3 years isn't enough , we should be aiming for that a year but we won't get it from Chang.
Matt, I'm spreading the Everton creed over here as I'm sure you are there. I work for a Korean company and the best way to get that market to sit up and take notice is to buy a Korean player as they will show all matches on the telly over there that feature a Korean player and will buy the shirts with his name on.
Damian Scott
13   Posted 03/08/2010 at 16:09:23

The Chang/Everton deal has been beneficial for both sides, but i do think we could be getting a lot more money for our shirt sponsorship.. If a higher bidder comes along we need to take it...
Tony X Williams
14   Posted 04/08/2010 at 14:15:21

Eric, Chang is a Premium beer compared to Leo ;o)