Members:   Log In Sign Up

Rescue Landon Donovan

I am just back from the Galaxy game this evening here in LA. They lost 3-2. Donovan scored two pens. The game itself was a catalogue of errors punctuated by the occasional burst of competence. It was like watching two second division sides. Donovan was the best man on the pitch, but he seemed to be dragged down to the level of those around him.

I don?t think that Donovan will be sticking around here for too long. He has played in the Premier league, he was a star at the World Cup and he is at the height of his career. If we don?t sign him soon, then I think he will sign for somebody else before the end of August.

I would hate to see him lining up against us in September.
Gerry Morrison, Los Angeles, USA     Posted 02/08/2010 at 03:49:31

Comments

Dermot Ryan
1   Posted 02/08/2010 at 04:58:58

Not sure how to interpret Moyes pouring water on all the Donovan rumors. 1. Is he managing fans' expectations (i.e. lowering them)? If so, I think this shows a real lack of imagination in his thinking. There are players we can and should sell to move this team in the right direction. Of course, it is not the ideal situation and involves a certain amount of risk, but if we're broke, offload Yobo and Yakubu. Yobo is worse than useless. Giving ourselves that option is worse than not having the option. Yakubu is a much harder call, but I think we have absolutely no guarantee that he will improve or have the right attitude and I think we are absolutely guaranteed to see Donovan play 110%. Other players would really have to step up in terms of contributing goals (Rodwell, Beckford), but I think risking Yak for Donovan shows an ability to make a calculated risk (and it is calculated: Donovan has already demonstrated he can work with this team). 2. Is he trying to pressure Bill or the board? If so, I only hope he has told Landon, he's interested because, as you say Gerry, Landon is likely to consider other offers.3. Is it some kind of ruse to hide what we are actually doing? This does not strike me as Moyes' way and I can't think of how saying we are not interested strengthens our hand in any way. All in all, I'm frustrated. In the transfer market, we sometimes appear like we're reacting to rather than shaping events (Lescott, Gosling, ...Peanuts?....Arteta?) We hang out defending what we have (remember, we were doing just that this time last year and then Man City successfully fucked up our opening month and effectively cost us a top 4 finish as we threw games and broke in new players). I wish we would show that we can act boldly sometimes and with vision. The purchase of Donovan would be great for morale and if it is well managed, it could be a huge coup for us. Look how many American Evertonians have emerged because of his loan! (I'm not suggesting you are one, Gerry, but I do now from living in LA myself that his loan really put us on the map over here).
And no, I don't think Donovan is the greatest player or near it. But he is fast, driven, and wants to learn. He is a team player. Over the course of the season, I think he can contribute at least 6 goals and set up plenty more. And he is not a cynical mercenary. A perfect Evertonian. Go on, Davey, do it. COYB FTRS
Peter Anthony
2   Posted 02/08/2010 at 05:40:36

I hope we get Captain America and soon! Could really galvanise the team and whole atmosphere for the team and club, players, staff and fans..
He'd probably have to help fund his fee though, ala Super Kev, but could strike a deal where he is rewarded handsomely and reimbursed.
Instant legend he'd become and like Cole's capture across the park, could help us keep mikky and pienaar 100% focused here..
Mike McLean
3   Posted 02/08/2010 at 07:40:09

Jimmy Husband, Trevor Steven, Landon Donavan.

Am I alone in seeing a disparity in class?
Jay Woods
4   Posted 02/08/2010 at 08:00:00

@ Mike McLean: No, you're not. Jimmy Husband wasn't in the same class as the latter two.
Jason Lam
5   Posted 02/08/2010 at 08:00:20

I can't see how the MLS insist on holding on to Donovan alone when Demsey was as much a star for the US.
Gareth Humphreys
6   Posted 02/08/2010 at 08:30:20

MM no 5 - not sure about Jimmy Husband as I aint that old however I do know that if Andrei Kanchelskis was around a decade earlier Trick Trev would have been on the bench.
With regards to Landon, I've said it before and I'll say it again. He looks a good player but as soon as Anichebe was back fit LD was a sub.
David Thomas
7   Posted 02/08/2010 at 08:33:13

Mike,

What do you suggest, we wait and see if we can find someone in the same class as Trevor Steven? I think in todays market we will be waiting until someone offers us a "gift" of approx £30million to spend on a player.

Also by the way, Jimmy Husband was a fantastic little player.
David Thomas
8   Posted 02/08/2010 at 08:38:31

Gareth,

By the way, Anichebes first game back he sat on the bench and Donavan played
Dan Kemp
9   Posted 02/08/2010 at 08:44:01

I don't really know how to feel - on the one hand I'm optimistic about the players we have, on the other, angry and frustrated that we have no money to spend on new players.

Seeing Moyes comments about having no money, that we will probably spend the least in the Premier League - how can a club like ours, pushing for a top 4 place, be in this position?

Moyes is clearly frustrated himself, season after season, at the board's inability to finance any players. Will we really only spend £1m this close season? Where would that rank us against clubs in all the leagues? Surely even League 1 teams spend more than that in the close season?

I'd love to see us sign Landon Donavan. I'm dreading to think that would at the expense of one of our better players leaving.
Dick Anderson
10   Posted 02/08/2010 at 08:49:52

I believe the biggest problem with signing Landon Donovan is his age.

Donovan will turn 29 during this coming season.

He's at that age where he'll still have the legs on the pitch now but realistically we'll probably only get 2-3 seasons out of him before he starts to lose some pace.

Plus at that age there's no chance of Everton getting any money back should they decide to sell him.

If Donovan was 24 then I don't think Moyes would have any problem breaking the bank for him but paying big money for a 29 year old is not what Moyes is about.

Money is tight at Everton and Moyes clearly doesn't want to spend big money on a player who will be in his 30's the following season and has very little resale value.
Brian Waring
11   Posted 02/08/2010 at 09:18:29

FFS, not another Donovan love in! Look, he wasn't a star at the world cup, he is not world class, he is a decent player, who had a decent spell with us, thats it.

Once Anichebe was able to, he replaced Donovan, and I'm not having all this,he replaced Donovan because he needed games to get up to fitness, and Donovan was going back to the MLS anyway. If that was the case, then it is bad management by Moyes, because I thought you were supposed to put out the strongest 11 available to you to win games?

Ciarán McGlone
12   Posted 02/08/2010 at 09:28:56

According to Moyes, Bill has given him 1 million pounds for our assault on the top four next season..

And some people continue to think he's gods gift to Evertonians? Frankly, i'm astounded that anyone can defend the absolute incompetence of this man. While our loveable chairman (Loveable may arse!) remains at the helm we will never be anything more than a club with and ambition to finish fourth..

Truly depressing.
Roberto Birquet
13   Posted 02/08/2010 at 09:55:56

Dick
biggest problem ,his age,
Donovan will turn 29 during this coming season.
-------------
Same goes for Pienaar, currently 28. So would we really keep hold of him without a new contract? Effectively pay £12 million for a one-year loan?

Piennar, Hibbert and Yobo. Their sales would buy Donovan, Onouha and a couple million or so for a back up to Baines. The look for a loan winger and we're ready.
David Thomas
14   Posted 02/08/2010 at 10:00:11

Brian,

I agree he is not world class, but he would be a good addition to our squad and allow us to have greater options in certain games. Also Anichebe started his comeback on the bench and did not instantly replace Donavan, i think this view was wrongly started by Dave Wilson and a few people seem to have continued with it. Also, introducing Anichebe instead of Donavan was good management not bad management, as he knew due to his loan restrictions Donavan was only a "stop gap" whereas Anichebe is a permanent squad member. If he carried on playing Donavan for the last couple of games and then when he went back to LA had thrown Anichebe back in with no game time under his belt, that would have been bad management.
Roberto Birquet
15   Posted 02/08/2010 at 10:01:12

Brian, are u suggesting Anichebe is better than Donovan? That wouls seem slightly deranged.

I noticed Anichebe started the last couple of games. I don't know why but always assumed there was a different reason.

eg Saving Donovan as he had played almost non-stop for a year (Mar to March, with a five or six-week rest in december). Look what happened to Beckham! Yes, I know he was older, but still relevant. Giving Anichebe playing time as he'd be our RM for the last few weeks after LD's return to LA. Showing faith in Anichebe for same reason. Who knows?

But better than Donovan? No chance.
Roberto Birquet
16   Posted 02/08/2010 at 10:01:12

But better than Donovan? No chance.
Tony Waring
17   Posted 02/08/2010 at 10:10:22

I'd love to see him playing for us but the comments about his age are timely. Consider how long he has been playing continuously - albeit in MLS mostly - including for us and at the World Cup. How jaded will he be ? We saw the effects of too much football with Bilyaletdinov, so even if we do land donovan (forgive the play on words) we may not get the best out of him. Just a thought !!!!
Vincent Steele
18   Posted 02/08/2010 at 10:09:03

Type or paste your comment here. No txt-speak, please try to use proper grammar, all-lowercase posts are likely to be deleted
John Audsley
19   Posted 02/08/2010 at 10:01:32

Well, Its always Moyes thing to say, "we are skint" mainly cos we are and its also far better to say that rather than "we have a 10 mill kitty" as every Tom, Dick and Harriett costs us that. Whatever happens and im inclined to believe he wont be coming I think THIS is the summer for the board to really back Moyes and as always they have failed. We all now we are skint (I?ve no idea what Woods brings to EFC and Earl came in to get rid of Mr Gregg) but due to a status quo at the club all we do EVERY summer it seems is sell a Top player and those funds get spent

So we spend nothing - or the pay 15m over 5 years thingy

Almost every other club can manage but we survive, and improve on player sales!!!!!!

That will not last forever - and nor will Moyes patience...

Now is the time, and it?s a sadly familiar story
Graham Holliday
20   Posted 02/08/2010 at 10:23:20

A good point well-made Vincent...
Steve Pugh
21   Posted 02/08/2010 at 10:37:41

For anyone who is unsure about Donovans desire to be an Evertonian look at his facebook page, and compare it to most of the current crop of Evertonians.

He may be in his late twenties now but he has a good few years left in the tank. Maybe some of our richer fans could donate the required amount to the club.
Jimmy Hacking
22   Posted 02/08/2010 at 10:52:50

Whats the point in signing him? he'd only get injured at Everton anyway.
Trevor Lynes
23   Posted 02/08/2010 at 11:07:33

If we sold the Yak and had the money that we LOST due to the debacle over Gosling..then Landons fee would be within our reach....
If Yobo was sold then we could possibly be able to sign a left back replacement if Baines gets injured..
Alan Clarke
24   Posted 02/08/2010 at 11:55:55

The most depressing thing about this whole Donovan saga (or non-saga) is how utterly skint we are. It shouldn't be the case that we have to sell our players to pay for new ones. A club the size of Everton should be able to find somewhere in the region of £10 million for transfers every summer.

The combined fee for Ruddy and Lukas will have covered the money spent on Silva and Gueye so our net spend this summer will reach a grand total of £0. Last summer our net spend must have been close to £0. Is that really good enough for a club with top 4 ambitions?

I just can't see why we're so skint. Season tickets + kitbag deal + Chang deal + TV money + league placings + merchandise must give Moyes some money to play with. I think the club need to come clean and start telling us why we have less fucking money than Stoke and Wigan, although I know they won't. It also now makes me feel sick how many millions they wasted on Kirkby.
Alan Clarke
25   Posted 02/08/2010 at 12:08:02

Sorry forgot to add in Lucas Neil's sale for £1 million so in fact our net spend will be £-1million.
David Hallwood
26   Posted 02/08/2010 at 12:07:07

The fact that Donovan came out with practically a come & get me plea makes me believe or hope that there's something going on. He's too old and smart to come out with a statement that could and bite him on the arse (or should that be ass).

As for the Anichebe v Donovan; The Hull game made my mind up, Vic started the game and we battered Hull but he was like a headless chicked, when Donovan came on even though the game was won, he destroyed their left side. A smart player with a great football brain.
Tony McNulty
27   Posted 02/08/2010 at 12:22:22

Whilst there is clearly a touch of the canny Scotsman about some of the utterances of our manager (you know the sort of thing I mean: when he takes a pound out of his pocket the Queen?s head blinks, and they all sing Happy Birthday etc. etc.) there is something rather tragic about the cash free zone that is Goodison Park.

My nightmare scenario in a couple of years is: players sold; and the manager gone, frustrated in his ambitions with Everton owing to a lack of money. And at this point, some bone from the club comes out and says, ?if only we?d have known, we would have made another £20 million available. It would have been preferable than ending up where we are now.?

Well lads, without some more money (even of minimalist portions) this season is probably as good as it will get.
John Audsley
28   Posted 02/08/2010 at 12:26:27

Yep Alan, its great being skint with seemingly no hope of ever not being skint

people have chatted about selling Yobo and Yak to get Donovan

Yobo might clear 3 million but if we got 7 million for Yak GOD knows how much me might still owe Middlesborough on the deal

I can see the flog to buy mentally going on for another couple of seasons, maybe Pienaar this year and then with only a year left on his contract Arteta the following year

Thats the way the club is and will always be until major things happen at the top of the club

Its fuckin shite when u consider we are on the verge of something really special at Everton
Kevin Gillen
29   Posted 02/08/2010 at 12:21:28

Jimmy Husband was a superb Championship winning Evertonian. Big Vic shoud have gone to the World Cup and will be a revelation this season scoring lots of goals from right side attacking midfield. Donovan is not an Everton player at this time, most likely he'll be warming the bench of Man City if they didn't already have more than enough players than they're allowed. Everton is rightly his club although I think his influence has been exaggerated. The most important players at a club are the ones already there not the next big signing. I like all other toffeewebbers forget this every summer and suffer months of anguish. It would be nice for once to see some real investment in Everton but would I rather have Gillett and Hicks or the Glazers? No, half-arsed bullshit Billy it is then, if he persuades Pienaar and Arteta to stay I'll be happy for now.
Peter Griffin
30   Posted 02/08/2010 at 12:18:34

Until the futures of Arteta and Pienaar are sorted it's unlikely we will see much movement by way of transfers. As well as the increase in weekly wage, both players would receive a signing bonus, which to smooth over our wage restrictions could be million or so? If the two are tied down to new deals this will limit are budget for additions.

If for example, Yobo was sold this may raise a few million, but Jags, heitinga, distin would leave only three centre backs meaning a replacement would be needed. Vaughan, Anichebe, Beckford, Silva are not proven twenty goal a year top level players. Saha and Yakubu are. So if Yakubu was sold and Saha was to be injured long term, would you expect one of the younger lads to get double figures? My point being that Yak and Yobo won't be sold to buy Donovan, as we would need direct replacements.

Personally I feel if Mikel and Pienaar sign new deals, then a loan signing is most likely. If you can get the right player without the fee, then it makes sense given our financial plight. The players discussed are proof of this eg. Arteta, Pienaar and Donovan.
Ciarán McGlone
31   Posted 02/08/2010 at 12:53:47

Gillete and Hicks or the Glazers?

Yes I would. Fuckin right!

They haven't done anywhere near the amount of damage that our clown has done...both as chairman and as a board member poodle to Johnson.

Maybe then we could get some money to Moyes and have a little more ambition than getting to the last 16 of the Europa cup...
Aidy Dews
32   Posted 02/08/2010 at 13:04:57

I think there's more to all this than meets the eye, Donovan one week pledges his love for Everton and states he wants to come back and then Moyes comes out and says its unlikely.

I believe Moyes is trying to make a point to certain people with his remarks, i.e. our board and to the MLS and L.A. Galaxy. The way he goes on about having words with Kenwright and that he'd love him back and that the price is too rich that the MLS and Galaxy want and especially for a player of Donovan's age as like some have already said he'll be 29 by the end of this season and we wouldnt fetch anything in profit wise for him at the end of his contract.

I think Moyes is making those points so that the MLS and Galaxy come to there senses and lower there asking price and let there superstar come to us at a more reasonable price that our board can afford.

Donovan isnt a world beater or world class but he is good and would be good for us as he proved when being here on loan last season, his pace and ability to get in behind and stretch teams on the break was a great weapon and outlet for us and having him on our right wing gave the team much needed balance and a threat that we hadnt had for years, with his pace and delivery, we was getting at, and hurting teams of the likes of Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal and IF we could sign him permenantly then i'd be more confident of breaking the top four with him than with out him, people underestimate what a difference Donovan could make to our team but i saw enough in his loan spell to see exactly what difference he could make, i'd not seen us in a long time break at teams from the top four with pace and hurt em and do damage until he came in on loan and he could be the difference from picking up no points to picking up some points or even 3 against those teams and that could be the difference in us making the top four cos we know we can beat the teams bellow us and around us but you need to get something from the ones above us to compete with em and with him and his pace and delivery and ability, i think we can do just that next season and if we could qualify for the champions league and make the group stages then that could be the making of us and could fire us back into the big time and give s a chance to compete year after year IMO with the money that would fetch in.
Dave Wilson
33   Posted 02/08/2010 at 13:19:41

David Thomas: Sorry, but I dont have the ability to "start views" but I can say what I saw with my own eyes. As soon as Moyes felt Anichebe was ready, he chose him over Donovan (WHL). . . and he did so again the next game (St Andrews). It been suggested that Moes chose Vic to give him "game time" or to get the players "used to playing with him"... Sorry, I don't buy either argument, we were still in with a chance of Europe and Moyes was choosing what he believed to be his best team, besides Vic has been here for 4 years, the players knew his game far better than they knew LD`s.

Brian is right, Donovan is a decent player, but before we demand that BK somehow finds 10 Million quid to buy him, it might be worth remembering that the only opinion that counts where team selection is concerned is DM`s. Dress it up anyways you want, but he benched Landon two thirds of the way through what was already a short loan spell.
Steve Guy
34   Posted 02/08/2010 at 13:54:34

Not sure I agree with the whole logic behind the " we're skint" argument. We clearly have significant debt but at current levels it is manageable. But look around the division and few clubs are that much better off.....clubs like Wigan etc. are buying but not buying well and have horse traded other players to enable this. Wolves are going to try and stay in the EPL again with no acquisitions at all according to Mick Mac. The RS will probably get bailed out in the not too distant future but currently our debt problems look like small change compared to theirs and if they don't get back in the top 4 again this season this will only get worse (bail out or not). Currently they too are selling to buy and already spent the fee they'll get for that thug Mascherano. In fact the only club spending significant amounts is Citteh. Debt is endemic in the game and an investor may or may not appear, but even if they do they will want a return on that investment and would probably keep the debt with the Club (aka Gillette and Hicks). In other words I don't see an new owner / investor as the fix unless it is of Citteh proportions.
Christine Foster
35   Posted 02/08/2010 at 14:20:05

The current Everton squad is on the verge of a need of a complete overhaul and rebuild. its a last throw of the dice for some and judging when to let go and maximise return and bring in new blood is always the art of good management.
Well almost. Unless your in David Moyes unenviable position, you can sense the utter frustration (once again) in the lack of funds and the need to sell big to replace the journeymen.

LD at his best is class, maybe not world class, but class nonetheless. The point has been made that Big Vic is better, (at what?) That LD is old, he was 28 in March, he has at least three good seasons in him. Our current squad doesn't.

The point has also been made that until things change with ownership this is how it will be at the club. I agree but that in itself does not mean that buying and selling to improve the squad is a bad thing. If progress is made then it is. If players are sold to pay running costs then thats when we will go backwards at a rate of knots.

Moyes has been shrewd but he must be pissed off he knows we may have to use what he has for one season more than he should and thats a risk.

As for the club being run as a tight ship, it won't matter much if we lose the rudder, or get holed by friendly fire.

We are running out of time. Moyes is running out of patience and sooner or later the special relationship will matter no more
Helikaon Bow
36   Posted 02/08/2010 at 14:52:34

We need serious investment but without a new stadium and greater corporate revenue we won?t get it. Simple as that.
David Hallwood
37   Posted 02/08/2010 at 15:09:37

Kevin Gillen#28 Big Vic will never be a wide right mid while he's got a hole inn his arse. The fact that he's playing there is testimony the the right side is a problem. So far we've played Arteta, Osman, Bily, as well a Vic wide right, Donovan is the only player that's looked comfortable there, IMHO unless we get wide right sorted, it'll be a case of square pegs in round holes.
Mike Oates
38   Posted 02/08/2010 at 15:18:37

I suspect that the only way we are going to buy Donovan is if the price is about £4-5m at the most. Moyes will not pay out more , if you look at say an equivalent purchase of a 28 yr old player - Phil Neville (not as technically gifted BUT with 12 years exeprience in Premiership and CL at the Top Club) who we bought for £3m .

Even Clint Dempsey was bought by Fulham for £2.5m when he was 24 yrs old.

Rumours of £10m /£11m are a complete non-starter even for City.

The MLS and Galaxy have to get real over this one.

Last word - if Moyes is given only £5m to spend I suspect he'll buy a defender who can play Centre Half and Left Back instead of Donovan.
David Denby
39   Posted 02/08/2010 at 15:28:44

Granted he's not a world class player in his own right, however when he was here he helped the team alot and was very much part of it. Look at where we have come from over the last couple of years and it has clearly been a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the individual parts.

I remember us winning everything in the eighties and it has sickened me to see how far we dropped. I believe we are on the way up again now and Donovan can help with that. Football is more about business now than passion. I would have thought that income streams he would help to open would see us get our money back over the course of his contract through shirt sales and various other commercial oppurtunities that would surely come our way.

If we are as skint as Moyes is suggesting then it's even worse behind the scenes than we already thought. If that is indeed the case then to my mind someone like Leahy, Green or Earl should underwrite the fee (if we could negotiate something alot better than £10M) with the fairly confident knowledge they will see a half decent return on thier investment.

Anyway, here's hoping, if we are that skint that despite record sky money etc that we can only afford £1M then we all need to start thinking about starting a collection at work!
Brian Foley
40   Posted 02/08/2010 at 15:52:43

Buy Aidan tC: McGeady £10M, Peter Crouch £7M and Landon Donovan £3M (if possible). Sell Yakubu £7 to those no-hopers WHU quickly.!!!!!

Sell Bily £5M if necessary to finance McGeady. Capitalise on Pienaar AS A LAST RESORT. I think he's been terriffic for us though. So that leaves us £5m down without Pienaar going.

Surely Moysey (in whom I trust, mostly) and BK can see the sense in this and come up with a leveller cashwise. These players on offer (the first two) are too good to miss, would complement each other and change the way we play going forward. Wish it would come off but it won't, shame.

Helikaon Bow
41   Posted 02/08/2010 at 15:53:13

Landon Donovan £3M (if possible)

Ah no chance...more like 12m!
John Audsley
42   Posted 02/08/2010 at 16:02:59

Brian

Erm, where is this cash coming from??????

Love the positive thinkin BUT its total madness....
David Thomas
43   Posted 02/08/2010 at 15:56:19

Brian,

McGeady is never a £10 million pound player in a million years. Also, why would we sell Billy for £5 million when we only bought him last year for over £9 million. Also, do you really think the MLS would consider selling Donavan for £3 million?
Roberto Birquet
44   Posted 02/08/2010 at 16:02:12

have u been on the spirits again, Brian?
Alex Kociuba
45   Posted 02/08/2010 at 16:12:02

I disagree with all 39 posts above.
Brian Waring
46   Posted 02/08/2010 at 16:11:09

David (13) I agree he would be a good addition to the squad, but he is not the final piece in the jigsaw for us to go and have a chance of winning the league, as some believe, because he's not that good.

Roberto, no I'm not saying Anichebe is better than Donovan, but maybe Moyes thinks he is?

I like Donovan, he gave his all when he was with us, and I would welcome him back, but I just think it's all a tad OTT the way some of you go on about him.
Gerard Carey
47   Posted 02/08/2010 at 16:23:28

And to think we were once called "The Millionaires".really depressing!!
Ian Hughes
48   Posted 02/08/2010 at 16:36:09

Don't understand all this talk of Donovan not being 'world class'. The phrase is banded around too often. If you look around the Everton team and the whole premiership I think you will find very few players who are world class.

Only ones that come to mind are Lampard, Drogba, Cole, Fabregas, Rooney, Tevez and, unfortunately, Torres when fit.
The reason Everton have been performing so well under Moyes is how they play as a team and LD fit seamlessly into that. It is no coincidence that when we suffer with injuries our form suffers at the same time.
Donovan was a great team player who managed to show some moments of real class - something that, at the moment, everton would find pretty indispensable.
Steve Pugh
49   Posted 02/08/2010 at 16:54:40

As Kenny Sansom Said on Sky News, "Everton don't have any really world class players, but they have a team and teams win leagues." He did correct himself and call Cahill a world class player, but I think part of our success is down to the fact that we have no Prima Donna World Class players. We have a group of players who play for every other member of the team.

Samsom also said that Liverpool would do well this year...but they won't finish in the top 4. Top punditry.
Max Main
50   Posted 02/08/2010 at 17:13:10

"World class" must be the most annoying phrase in football. I'm forever overhearing arguments about who's world class and who isn't, but nobody ever defines what it means. It's a nothing phrase invented and used by idiot pundits.

Not meant as an attack at anyone, just that phrase flicks a switch.
Ray Roche
51   Posted 02/08/2010 at 17:50:30

Jay Woods<@4br />
Jimmy Husband was a tremendous player. It was only after that thug Dave Mckay assaulted him, or tackled him, take your choice,that his career slipped. Prior to that he was a gifted player.
David Thomas
52   Posted 02/08/2010 at 18:22:09

Brian 46,

"but he is not the final piece in the jigsaw for us to go and have a chance of winning the league, as some believe". I agree, if we got him i don't think he is the final piece but as you and i both seem to agree he would enhance the squadwe have at present.

One thing i would ask you is:-

Do you think if Moyes had £9 million to spend in his transfer kitty he would spend it on Donavan?

Or if Anichebe played for another club, do you think Moyes would spend the £9 million on him instead?
Mike McLean
53   Posted 02/08/2010 at 19:09:26

Err ... what I was trying to say - unsuccessfully - is that while he is better than the options we have, he isn't as good as it gets, and I'm not sure why people are building a "this is a season defining moment" around his (unlikely) acquisition.

But there again, what do I know? Alex - you're right ... everyone is wrong!
Aidy Dews
54   Posted 02/08/2010 at 19:20:51

Well according to this, it doesnt sound like Anichebe will be the solution to our right wing problem this season - http://www.coventrycity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/city_speak_to_anichebe_542174/index.shtml
Brian Waring
55   Posted 02/08/2010 at 19:42:59

David, if Moyes had £9m in his kitty, I don't think he would spend it on either player, and neither would I.
keith ager
56   Posted 02/08/2010 at 19:48:58

moyes wants donavon,but its plain to see we we cant afford him.Will this change when the sky money comes in at the start of the season,lets hope so.but i cant see moyes selling players i.e.yak or yobo to finance the deal as this would leave us short in both positions,which was the reason we started so badly last yr.
If by january beckford is banging them in or duffy is fully recovered and stepping up to the mark.I can see both players going. personally i believe we will buy donavon when the sky money comes.
Des Farren
57   Posted 02/08/2010 at 21:26:38

Donovan is not world class.
We don't have world class players.
He is not worth £10mill.
But............
He is committed to Everton.
He is a team player,not an individualist.
He is a good player,quick,good crosser of the ball,scores goals and is more aware than most of what is happening on the pitch.
He would be good for Everton,probably for a period of about 3 years.
Is it unreasonable to assume we may have a couple of youngsters who would not benefit from a stint in the States for a similar period.
But of course that's a ridiculous idea..
Brian Garside
58   Posted 02/08/2010 at 23:09:35

Bring back Jimmy Husband. A real class act, an Evertonian and a lot cheaper.
I feel the move for LD has been on for several months but due to financial restrictions has been kept quiet and now the tacticle play begins.
bill jaunt
59   Posted 02/08/2010 at 23:34:49

What?s all this talk about no money to sign Donovan and having to sell players?
We?re loaded. We can afford to blow £4 million, just because we can?t be arsed to write a few lines on a piece of paper, to confirm a pay increase. A club strapped for cash wouldn?t do that, would they ????
Anthony Hughes
60   Posted 03/08/2010 at 15:48:03

Agree with Des, no way is Donovan a world class player but he's proved he can play in the Premier League and he fits into our side nicely and requires no time to adapt. Still wouldn't go above £5 million for him though even if we had it.
Anthony Hughes
61   Posted 03/08/2010 at 15:52:24

Just a quick note on Bily: as much as Donovan looks to slot nicely into the Premier League, I'm pretty sure Bily would look great in Italy or Spain. It may be that our league could prove to be too much blood and thunder for a more cultured player like him.
Gerry Morrison
62   Posted 04/08/2010 at 01:24:22

I used to have a big picture of Jimmy Husband on my bedroom wall. Even after he missed that sitter at Webley I still loved him. However, I don't think he is an option for next season; last I heard he was living in Milton Keynes enjoying the occasional Bells and lemonade. Sign Donovan instead.