80 beats 45

I heard from my kid that the team from across the park managed to take a grand total of 45 supporters to their away leg in the Europa League last week.

Today The Guardian reports that Everton Vina del Mar are bringing 80 all the way from Chile for a friendly.

We are a special breed, whether the Merseyside based ones or the Vina del Mar based ones. For the 80 who have travelled, remember Evertonians are born not manufactured, we do not choose; we are chosen, those who understand need no explanation, those who don't; don't matter.

Sorry guys but I will be somewhere between Toronto and Amsterdam when the match is on. My two kids will be there. Enjoy. It is a special feeling to be part of this family. We know what class really means.
Phil Roberts, today - Halifax NS, Canada     Posted 04/08/2010 at 03:32:10

Comments

Hster
1   Posted 04/08/2010 at 14:58:57

Nice post Phil .... brings home all that is good about the Everton family.
James Flynn
2   Posted 04/08/2010 at 15:26:36

I wonder about this "LFC is a World Brand club" business. Maybe years past, OK. here in the States? You don't see that red shirt. Everyone knows ManU, Barca, and Real Madrid for obvious reasons. But beyond that, EFC has the foothold as far as the EPL is concerned. Especially now that casual soccer fans know Tim Howard is also a Toffee, which most of them did not before the WC.

EFC is moving up this season and LFC is heading the other direction. Will be interesting to see how attendance follows those fortunes.

Now MLS pulls their head out of their full point of contact and stop the nonsense with LD? Trust this, the EFC flag is planted here for real.

I appreciate I'm in the States, and so many of you are right there in Liverpool, but LFC just aren't a big name this side of the ocean. They're not. Really.
Roberto Birquet
3   Posted 04/08/2010 at 15:45:06

I wonder about this "LFC is a World Brand club" business.
-------
a bit off topic. But still, yes Liverpool are a big brand. I live in London, and it is a bigger club than Chelsea here. Considering, where Chelsea is that is quite spooky.

All the same. Several bids in just a few months, for a far more expensive Club that is in the same League as us as well as the same City. And we find no-one in years???

Am I innocent? Or does this make no sense?
James Flynn
4   Posted 04/08/2010 at 16:01:08

Roberto - I believe their stock is considered worthless, so the Finance Vultures are circling. Offers to take the team at the cost of taking on the debt makes LFC a bargain.

Of course, the speculators want to get something for themselves, despite the paper they're holding being worth just that; some pieces of paper.

Be interesting if they sell off the best assets, pocket THAT money, then sell off the debt and leave town.
Paddy Francis
5   Posted 04/08/2010 at 16:43:38

Liverpool FC are a big name and it would be churlish to deny this. If anything, we should use their reputation as a means of self-promotion.

Adverts in the US/Far-east etc could say "And you thought there was only one team in Liverpool? In 2010, Everton will prove you wrong...."

That's exactly how companies free-ride off the back of Coca Cola, Microsoft etc to generate interest. It's odd we don't do the same.
Liam Reilly
6   Posted 04/08/2010 at 17:21:41

Excellent suggestion Paddy. Avis did something similar in their "We're number two, so we try harder" campaign.

There's no sense in pretending who's the bigger brand, but there's certainly room for clever marketing in the right hands.
Dave Smith
7   Posted 04/08/2010 at 17:34:18

"I mean, for a club allegedly so big, how come LFC only average a few 1,000 more per game than the "Other" team in Liverpool? Shouldn't the discrepancy be much bigger, given these so-called disparate reputations?"

Anfield's capacity is only 44000. So they can only attract 4000 more than us at full capacity.

Now, if they had a 60000 seater stadium, I think you would see a bigger difference.
Roy Coyne
8   Posted 04/08/2010 at 22:49:23

Roberto (3) ? in a word, Kenwright.
Noel Lynam
9   Posted 04/08/2010 at 22:31:46

I have to agree with Paddy Francis and Dave Smith re brand / attendance. As much as it pains us to say it, they are a big global brand; we unfortunately are not. Nor are we likely to be under our current ownership.

James Flynn - I have to ask: are you by any chance Landon Donovan's agent? It's the only reason I can think of that you manage to promote the virtues of him moving to EFC in almost every post!
James Flynn
10   Posted 04/08/2010 at 23:08:19

Noel (9) - Ha. Busted. Actually the last few I pretty much keep out of. Should have seen me earlier when LD first came on loan.

Nope, not his agent. You Toffee fans couldn't have made a newcomer more welcome than you did Landon. And Moyes stuck him right in there! On both counts it's hard to explain how much that means to a US fan when talking about the best field player we've produced.

Contrast that with his fine loan spell in Germany the year before, when all he got were condescending, sneering remarks and directions to the door.

Combine all THAT with EFC is a damned fine team? Big doings this year, you can feel it. I'm in and I want our #1 boy to be a part of it. It's no more than that really.

Our top guy, on a top team, contending for the championship of the top league? EFC in contention he comes or not. But he could definately help and I hope he gets to.
Owen De Asha
11   Posted 05/08/2010 at 01:37:02

Having got back from the pub, after listening to the never ending "Everton - Liverpool" debate I have finally been pushed over the edge. I get in, check ToffeeWeb and BlueKipper to see if there are any match reports for the game against CD Everton and what do I see?

The usual "Red Shite" feature on BK and an article submitted by a TW member on how many fans Liverpool are taking to their Europa League qualifier.

I simply cannot be the only one who seems to be missing the point here. Why do we, who are so passionate about our beloved blues, write articles discussing Liverpool FC? Why do we, who could've filled Wembley twice over with our loyal supporters, constantly obsess about the team from "over the park"?

They call us "Bitter Bluenoses" and by even mentioning them on OUR websites, we play right into their hands and give them exactly what they want.

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
12   Posted 05/08/2010 at 01:38:16

Owen, I would tend to agree with you... although in truth the reference to Liverpool fans was not the point of this thread... but it was the first point and I would probably have edited it out.

This website is for Evertonians to talk about Everton. Some other stuff gets on from time to time, especially during the summer break, when real Everton issues are perhaps not so prevalent. But as far as I'm concerned, I'd prefer it if we never talked about them.

Some supporters live in their shadow and are constantly looking for to get an edge over them. We reflect that to only a very limited extent; but I think you're right ? the ideal extent would be zero.
Michael Brien
13   Posted 05/08/2010 at 07:21:19

Back in the early part of the 1976-77 season I remember reading an article about the "other" Everton. They had won the Championship in Chile, for the first time since 1950 i think it was. Last night's match was one that I am sure many Evertonians have waited a long time to see it happen. I hope that we see more of these matches in the future and closer links with Everton Vina Del Mar.
Mark Murphy
14   Posted 05/08/2010 at 10:43:16

Owen, spot on lad!
yesterday some knobhead Blue had a rant on Talkshite (I know I know, i shouldnt listen...) about how few them lot took to Moldovia or wherever.
Cue the Radio Koptalk presenter muppets inviting all loveable reds on to shoot him down, which they did, in spades, and we come out of it looking bitter and cheap once again!

Keep TW Blue and ignore the red twats!
Brian Waring
15   Posted 05/08/2010 at 20:38:35

Come on lads, the shite are a huuuge brand all over the world, they have several interested suitors, even though they were shite last season.
They have a waiting list for season tickets, and would probalby fill a 80,000 seater stadium if they built it. They are so far ahead of us as a brand it's unbelievable.