How Good Is Rodwell?

With the season about to start, I ask this question; how good is Rodwell? In my 8 months on TW, that Rodwell is, or is about to be, a stud in the EPL is the only thing I can think of that all TWers seem to agree on.

Yet in the discussion for this season, I?ve yet to see any, ?Hey, and don?t forget Rodwell this year. He?ll make a big difference? or ?Boy, the league?s about to find something out with this kid? type statements. If he?s that good (and I?m not questioning he?s talented), why isn?t he talked about more here as an impact player for 2010-2011.

So how good is Rodwell?
James Flynn, Virginia, USA     Posted 04/08/2010 at 13:27:27

Comments

Rob Wilkinson
1   Posted 04/08/2010 at 16:35:22

Well from the pre-season games so far I think he has stepped up a level and can now certainly dominate a midfield and make his opposite numbers afternoon a hellish affair! I think the reason he is being whispered about as opposed 2 shouting is that we're scared after the Rooney saga... I really do think that this will b a good season 4 him and will blow other pretenders Huddlestone, Cattermole and Whiltsher out of the water.
Alex Kociuba
2   Posted 04/08/2010 at 16:40:00

I think most people are quietly confident. He has already shown his talent and skill already; his debut was March 2008. I think he is at the right club, with the right players to progress into a mature, classy footballer.

Don't forget Rodwell this year he'll make a big difference!
Kevin Gillen
3   Posted 04/08/2010 at 16:46:38

Class. Two-footed. Best young player in England by a country mile.
Ian Tunstead
4   Posted 04/08/2010 at 16:36:09

It?s a tough one to say because we still don?t really know his best position. Apparently he has been a centre back all his life but Moyes felt he was too young and inexperienced to play their at this level so decided to play him in the defensive midfield role. Some people thought he was fantastic in that position others like myself couldn?t really see what influence or effect he was having on games.

He does seem to have all the attributes to potentially be a great player but in my opinion in the past he was bullied quite easily and didn?t get stuck in to try and win tackles he also gave the ball away cheaply or only passed the ball backwards and sideways or he would go missing completely.

People hyped him up to be the next big thing or the ?new Rooney? which was a complete exaggeration. Rooney was the best player for Everton at 16 and the best player for England at 17 and the best player in the European Championships at 18 until he broke his foot. Rodwell is 19 and is still not good enough to break into the Everton first team. Although to be fair the Everton team is much improved since Rooney left but a 16 year old Rooney would still get in this Everton team.

Towards the end of last season Rodwell started to impress me since he has been played in more advanced positions where he has had the chance to use his pace and run at people. His shooting also seems to have improved but I think most importantly it is his confidence which has grown which comes with experience and playing at the right times. I think he will have a big season for Everton but I don?t think it will be anywhere near as big or as exciting as the year Rooney came through at 16
Chris Wilson
5   Posted 04/08/2010 at 16:35:28

Hey James,
I don't think it's an issue of forgetting him or anything like that. On previous threads you'd see that a lot of Evertonians have been excited about him ever since he was about to debut for the first team; with many references to him being the "future Everton captain" and some have even thrown England in there too. I think it's more of a situation of "what else is going on with the club" rather than focusing on Jack specifically. You have to understand, this is one of the few "settled" summers for us Evertonians in years. Aside from "what is Pienaar or Arteta going to do," this has been a very good preseason for us. We're not scrambling onto rumor sites to see who we've signed or who we've lost and for once we are optimistic. I think the last time we felt this positive was the summer we signed Andy Johnson who Moyes chased for two years - you felt a good season coming that year. I think we feel that way today and Jack is a part of that collective optimism. I actually can't wait to see us throw on the pink and give Fat Sam and Blackburn a good smackdown!

As for "how good is he?" Others have had access to watching prospects a lot longer than I have, but for my time he is easily the best prospect since Rooney, however he is coming into the side with more maturity and composure to both his game and his attitude. I believe that if we can keep Jack and Felli together, we can have one of the most feared midfields in all of the PL. I don't think it's a stretch to say that he will be leading the next wave of England national teamers after the Lampard, Gerrard crew. I hope I'm not getting too carried away - Everton fans have seen a lot of false dawns, but he looks the real deal.
Richard Parker
6   Posted 04/08/2010 at 17:41:03

Rodwell is massively talented. I've seen very, very few 17-year-olds look so comfortable on a Premier League pitch.

He's improving and should be a huge part of Everton and England's future, if he keeps improving for the next 4 or 5 years.

He'll not be one of the first name's on Moyes' teamsheet week-in week-out because of his age, but he could be something very special in a couple of years.

As far as I can see, he, Joe Hart and Jack Wilshere are the only particularly bright spots on England's horizon at the moment.
Paul Foster
7   Posted 04/08/2010 at 17:47:48

Outrageously good. And Moyes has dealt with his emergence impeccably.

Really excited about his potential this year. I fancy he'll get 8 or 9 goals too.
John Audsley
8   Posted 04/08/2010 at 18:37:28

Superb player who can only get better. He also seems very level headed which is a huge asset for one so you. I think he should be used in the centre of midfield, not the holding player and defo not a CB. I think year he will be a massive player for us along side Felli and Arteta (hopefully!)

Ian Kearney
9   Posted 04/08/2010 at 19:00:46

He's so good a footballer at that age, that its hard to believe he English!
David Hallwood
10   Posted 04/08/2010 at 19:04:35

I'm looking forward to the day (if it ever comes) that Rodwell plays alongside a fully fit Fellani, with Arteta, Pienaar, and Bily(Cahill), in a 2-3 midfield. Next season is Rodwell's step up year
Danny Burke
11   Posted 04/08/2010 at 19:24:05

He has the potential to be a great player. He has all the attributes you need for top class football. He is a different type of player to Rooney who came through and was all raw passion and energy mixed with a bit of arrogance and fearlessness. Rodwell is the kind of player who will not explose onto the scene but will mature into a real class act.
David Parks
12   Posted 04/08/2010 at 19:35:25

The sky is the limit - Two footed, getting strong, pacey, can pass, tackle and shoot.

What should happen this year is that he slowly starts to take over from Cahill in playing behind our one striker - What will most likely happen is that he will start 10-15 games and come in most of the others.
Stan Sheppard
13   Posted 04/08/2010 at 19:48:10

I agree with most if the above. He's awesome and we are very fortunate to have him. Extremely talented with bags of potential. Big, strong, fast, decent shot and he seems to have his head screwed on.
Andy Crooks
14   Posted 04/08/2010 at 20:07:44

Ian Tunstead is right. Jack Rodwell is good but where is he best? A great footballing centre half or a box to box midfielder? The player he reminds me of most, I am not talking about ability here obviously, but about role, is Beckenbauer. A player whose role I still can't quite define. I just hope that Jack doesn't become a utility player because he is quite special.
Mike McLean
15   Posted 04/08/2010 at 20:37:32

Do you remember Beckenbauer or Moore?

That good.
Iain Love
16   Posted 04/08/2010 at 20:48:20

Tonights game on veetle.
Jack has it all build skill brain etc etc and i know it's early days but he now needs to add belief to his locker , his goal against Manure should have helped but i mean like Rooney when he did Zidane on the touchline, or Maro against Bellamy. More importantly we as a team need to match Jack. When Rooney left it was because we couldn't match his ambition, dont blame the lad but we are a much better team now and need to show Jack that so come next seasons transfer window he can turn around to the sour faced scot [Fergie] and say "sorry mate , i'm sticking with this sour faced scot [ Moyes ] because i believe i will win more with these than with you".
James Cadwaladr
17   Posted 04/08/2010 at 21:01:40

I've already said on here that, come the end of the season, he will be the best box-to-box midfielder in the Premier League. Perhaps that's a bit optimistic but I think he will overtake Gerrard this year who is perhaps just past his peak, he will be seen as a better all-round midfielder than Lampard and Carrick, probably be more of a footballer than Essien but probably not have the creativity of Fabregas, Arteta, Modric.

In general, though, as an all-round midfielder, he could be become great. What imresses me most is how he seems to improve and add more to his game each time he steps onto the pitch. He can do it all.

David Gallant
18   Posted 04/08/2010 at 21:07:02

I agree with most of what is contained within this thread. Save for those Beckenbauer and Moore comments, which is a bit silly considering the lad can't even be guaranteed a start in the current Everton first team.

Can he go on to become that good? Time will tell. But should he reach those heights (and they are heights lads) then he should continue the steady improvement he has shown thus far. Nay, quadruple it!

Truth is, the jury is out. But there's no doubt that the boy can play a bit and looks a bit special. I think Rodwell began playing more and more in the Gerrard role toward the end of last season and began popping up in the opposition box with far more regularity than he did when he just emerged and immediately thereafter.

And it is precisely in that role that he has begun looking more and more dangerous. The chip he scored in pre-season (forget the opposition, think it was the last Australian opposition) was pure genius, the kind of thing a certain Mr. Rooney would attempt (and have the technique to pull off). I'm not comparing the two (as has been stated elsewhere they are completely different players) but what I am saying is that this newfound ability to find the goal augurs well for the future.

If there's one thing that stands out for me about Rodwell it's his composure. That he's only 19 makes that all the more impressive, for it is rare, especially in the hurly-burly cauldron that is the Premiership.

I do hope he turns out like ze Kaizer or Bobby, but he's a long way to go yet! Next season he'll be a Gerrard though :p
Matteo Rosingana
19   Posted 04/08/2010 at 21:55:28

Infinitely more class than Gerrard, David!
Alex Robinson
20   Posted 05/08/2010 at 00:43:01

Rodwell is as good as the players around him, which at this particular moment time looks VERY rosey. With a midfield of Arteta, Fellaini, Bily (who is our "champagne" player), and then Pienaar (who I fully believe will stay), but then you've got back up defensive medfielders in Neville and Heitinga (when he's not playing in defense ? his best position), we're looking good.

Many comparison's on this thread have said he's the next Gerrard, and I fully agree. He looks the buisiness going forward, and it's something he obviously loves doing. Put Rodwell as the marauding midfielder, Cahill as the guy in the hole, and Saha/Beckford/Yak as the finisher, and we're a team to be feared. In fact, seeing Beckford, he's no slouch around the six-yard box ? dare I say he's the next Lineker?

But my entire point is that I hope Everton will be more than the some of their parts ? which is when we have won trophies!
All the best boys!

Ben Jones
21   Posted 05/08/2010 at 01:13:16

Basically James, everyone here loves Rodwell and think he's very good, I'm one of them.

Easily said...
David Gallant
22   Posted 05/08/2010 at 01:29:10

Matteo, Correct! :) Alex Robinson, funnily enough I dared to draw the exact same comparison (albeit through very rose-tinted glasses) between Beckford and Lineker. Nowhere near that level yet, but his goal against CD Everton (cough) was decidedly Linekeresque!

I fully expect him to be this season's 'rabbit.' :)
Adam Fenlon
23   Posted 05/08/2010 at 01:45:35

Won't be long before the "informed commentators" start suggesting that he move to a "big club" to help him reach his potential.
Max Main
24   Posted 05/08/2010 at 02:09:53

I don't think Rodwell is that good yet. I can see the potential, but as someone above said, his passing is often very sloppy, and when he does get it right it tends to be a nothingy sideways pass.

I'm always excited when he plays, mainly because of all the hype (on websites like this, that is), and I'm dying for him to play well, but so far I've almost always ended up a bit disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's an exciting prospect. He seems to have all the attributes of a great player (pace, power, physique etc etc), and also he seems to have a somewhat unique ability to dribble with either foot equally comfortably. But as someone said, Rooney was coming on and dominating games at 16/17. Can anyone point to a game that Rodwell has dominated? I can't think of any myself. Fabregas would perhaps be a more relevant example of a young player who was eye-catching not for his attributes but for his performances.

I suppose my point is just that while it's great we've got a talented youngster to get excited about, I don't think he's actually that good yet. And I certainly don't think he should start if everyone's fit.
James Flynn
25   Posted 05/08/2010 at 02:57:52

OK Gents - Thanks

Then let me ask, project his impact on our good fortunes this season?

Of course he'll be a better player in 2014. But his impact this season. How much of a jump up do you see him making this year?
Rich Williams
26   Posted 05/08/2010 at 06:55:56

different gravy, the boy is going to be immense, right foot, left foot, 40/50/60 yard passes to feet, great goals.....

Young player of the year 2010/11
Matthew Lovekin
27   Posted 05/08/2010 at 08:36:56

I've been telling work colleagues that Rodwell is THE player to look out for in the whole Premier League this year.

He will be a regular in the England team in two years.

The main problem for Rodwell is, is he good enough to get in the Everton first-team? Fellaini is the best defensive midfielder, Arteta the best playmaker, and currently Cahill is the best attacking midfielder. Hopefully Arteta will stay and therefore I can only see Rodwell challenging Cahill for his position by the end of the season.

I think Rodwell is too good to keep on the bench, he will force his way into the team somewhere, as he can play a few positions he is so good, and this season he will come of age to be a top Premier League star.
Matthew Tait
28   Posted 05/08/2010 at 09:31:54

I don't expect Rodwell will have a massive impact on us this season, just because of how good the players around him are. We have a frankly excellent midfield coming together, and Rodwell is only a part of that. He's going to be rotated with Fellaini and Arteta in the central two spots mainly I think; he might get pushed further forward occasionally, but I'm not convinced he's the right sort of player to play in Cahill's role on any sort of regular basis. Time will tell, but in any case I certainly don't see him dominating games for us yet.

I think the best we can hope for this year is that he becomes part of a centre midfield squad of different-but-equals along with Cahill, Arteta and Fellaini (with Osman and others in reserve) which would be a hell of an achievement for him and a very daunting prospect for any opposition team.
Norman Merrill
29   Posted 05/08/2010 at 09:58:09

Jack seems a very level headed lad,
and continuing to improve under David Moyes will be part of the natural progression, to a regular member of the first team.
My only worry is when he goes south
to join up with the Capello circus, and who gets in first to try and turn the lads head.
But that is all about growing up, and lets hope Jack makes the England side, as an Everton player?
and stays that way.
Mike McLean
30   Posted 05/08/2010 at 20:48:50

I think, personally - (and what do I know given the clear superiority of your knowledge) that those who actually watched the two greatest defenders of the modern era would be hard pressed to find a cigarette papers's worth of difference between their skills and his. If he fails to make the first team because, umm, Osman is much better or whatever, then please look at the manager not the man.

Just a thought though. Evidently you know best.